Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Soft Silky Hair

• 15-01-2010 11:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭

Hey Girls,

I wrote a thread here a while ago looking for solutions to dry brittle hair.
    I have my hair dyed fiery red and I straighten it everyday. It had become dry, dull and brittle despite me using Redken Anti-Snap and other expensive products.

Last week I did a mayonnaise treatment on my hair and last night I put VO5 hot oil in (it was only €3) and this morning my hair is amazing! I'm not sure if it's from the mayonnaise treatment or the hot oil, maybe both but my hiar feels soft, silky and nourished.

Just wanted to tell every girl with dry hair to try doing this. I have tried everything and my hair still felt dry but today it's bouncy and healthy!!

Mayonnaise and VO5 hot oil are both cheap as chips too!

Happy hair days:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

Colour it with Wella Colour Touch. It is a professional colour, if you don't want to go to the hairdressers you can buy it on eBay- make sure you get the developer too. Even if you just dye it the same colour as it already is. It will make your hair soft and shiny like nothing else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Beetlebum

Magenta wrote: »
    Colour it with Wella Colour Touch. It is a professional colour, if you don't want to go to the hairdressers you can buy it on eBay- make sure you get the developer too. Even if you just dye it the same colour as it already is. It will make your hair soft and shiny like nothing else.

Oooh cool...I'll make sure to look into that...thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33 queenbeeuty

hey beetlebum

I recently really damaged my hair using a pair of curling tongs
    and now mine is very dry aswell.I found that the Kerastase deep
    conditioning treatment for dry/damaged hair worked well,however
    it is on the expensive side!

I will definitely try Vo5 oil,sounds like it worked great for you,
    thanks for the post!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Olive Oil is another good one. Mayonnaise is great definitely. Or raw eggs even. Always the natural things that work the best in the end I find.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I tried the VO5 stuff, and it didn't do much for me :(. I still have 2 tubes left so I'll try again. I think I'm not heating them up enough maybe?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭IWishh

I've never heard of using mayonnaise before... hows it done?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 L1984

I don't think there are any hard and fast rules on using mayonnaise- I slather it all over my hair and scalp, wrap it in a hot towel (I don't always do this, sometimes I just stick it in a shower cap to keep it out of my way) and leave it for an hour or so. Then I wash it out (really well, nothing worse than the smell of mayonnaise!) and and conditon as normal. I think it's excellent, I really do, nothing has worked like mayo on my hair :)

Having said that I've tried coconut oil too - a much nicer smell, and I do the same. Rub it on my hair and scap, leave for an hour and then rinse and condition. I think it's messier to use as it's oil, and is only liquid at room temperature so I end up with a lot of it all over my hands and arms, but it smells nicer and works very well too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

I ordered some Apricot Kernel Oil a few days ago, its supposed to be great for hair and all the body too! I think you can even eat it:pac:(I got it from iherb.com http://www.iherb.com/Now-Foods-Apricot-Kernel-Oil-16-fl-oz-473-ml/898?at=0 ) Haven't got it yet but will post again when I try it:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 chocolate_cat

i used to put intensive conditioner straight into dry hair, put tinfoil over my hair and leave it for half an hour. I used to do this several times a week instead of leaving it in for a long amount of time as hair stops absorbing liquid after a certain period of time.
    It stopped my hair breaking but it was hard work. I used to use the tresemme intensive conditioner in the tub but they test on animals so i dont use them anymore. When i used to dye my hair bright colours i used to but a blob of the dye in with the conditioner to give a colour boost.
    I now have red hair, i might see if i can mix some of the colours to brighten my hair as it gets dull easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Princessa

I recently saw Vo5 oil gel... its suppose to be the same as the vo5 oil but you dont need to heat it up you just squueze it out of the tube... anybody used this... is it any good???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭bambera

Another trick for conditioning your hair is honey in hot water.

I'm on the other end of the scale though, my hair gets really oily, I've just recently (last week) given up on shampoo and started using baking powder (and vinegar in the ends as a conditioner), it's also supposed to help make your hair thicker. As anyone else experimented with this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Sparklebox

Egg is also good.....if ya whisk it up in a cup and then pour it on your hair when washing it it makes it rele shiny and soft.......

just make sure the water isn't so hot that it cooks the egg in your hair!:eek:

Advertisement