Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

connecting xbox elite to eircom router

• 15-01-2010 11:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hi everyone,

I need help.....PLEEEEEEASE.

My nephew got an xbox 360 elite (a black one...I don't know if that makes any difference, but though I would mention it just in case it does).

He got a black, twin antenna xbox wireless adapter and I have not been able to figure out how to connect it to his wireless home network.

I looked on xbox for help and in the setup the picture shows a section where there should be an option for wireless networks (in the network set-up part)....It is not there.

I am not that familiar with the xbox at all, so any help would be really appreciated....my nephew is wrecking my head...:D

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭mooman

There's instructions here I cant be bothered typing myself:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

• Registered Users Posts: 32 kjenkinson26

SeantheMan wrote: »

Yes...that is where I looked first....on his xbox there is only the ip address section and the DNS bit....but the wireless part at the top is not there.

There was a CD that came with the adapter and on it, it said to run the disc first but everytime I put it in the console it just showed up as 'MIXED MEDIA' and wouldnt auto play....

Any Ideas?

mooman wrote: »
    There's instructions here I cant be bothered typing myself:D

Thanks I'll try that for him this evening....

Thanks I'll try that for him this evening....

I just started to write this down as I can't be bothered to pull out the printer...:D (how lazy is that), but there is no wireless option in his menu that I have been able to find yet.

Does it come pre-installed or are you supposed to find it and instal it yourself??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Hi All,

Just got the wireless adaptor for my son and have spent the last two hours trying to follow the installation instructions without success.

I've inserted the "Wireless N Networking Adaptor Installer Disc" and according to the instructions in the installation manual I should "follow the instructions for setting up your console to work with your wireless networking adaptor" but I don't get any instructions. All I get is a "Mixed Media Disc" message.

I've checked in Console Settings to make sure Auto Start is selected and it is so I'm baffled.

I tried powering on and off a few times sometimes with the disc in and sometimes putting the disc in as soon as it owers up but no change.

I tried skipping the disc installation process (thinking that as it's a new Xbox 360 the s/w might already be installed) and plugged the wireless adaptor into the USB slot etc but but again no joy. I get the green flashing light on the adaptor alright but that's it, I don't get offered to connect to a local network a la the typical wifi process. When I click on System Settings -> Network Settings -> Configure Network I Basic Settings of IP Settings (Automatic), IP Address (0.0.0.0), Subnet Mask (0.0.0.0)(0.0.0.0). I also get DNS Settings (Automatic) Primary DNS Server (0.0.0.0) and Secondary DNS Server (0.0.0.0)

I read in one online article that there should be a wireless network option in the basic settings here but I'm not getting anything like that.

If I'm doing something really dopey can someone please put me out of my misery but if this is really a tricky problem can someone with expertise pelase give me a dig out? My son (9) gave up wiating for me to get this connected and has gone to bed disappointed that his Dad hasn't been able to connect in 2 hours what his mates have been able to do in 5 minutes apparently!!

Feeling the real old technophobe Dad now even though I'm actually not.

C'mon boardies, I really need you here.

Ben

OK, I managed to get connected to my woreless broadband by accidentally stumbling on a demo game which requested an update. I accepted the update and bingo when it rebooted there was a wireless option in Configure Network -> Basic Settings. I went through the setup process, entered the network security key and accepted a couple of updates all of which went well. I then did the "Test Xbox Live Connection" test and the first step i.e. Network returns a positive "Connected" status, as does the second "Internet" step but the the 3rd step where it tries to connect from the Internet to Xbox Live results in a request to install an update which reads "A system update is available from Xbox LIVE. If you decline you will be signed out of Xbox LIVE. For more info visit www.xbox.com/update. Do you want to apply the update now?" When I click on "Yes, Update Now" I get an "Update in Progress" message quickly followed by an Update Failed message whcih says the update couldn't be downloaded and suggests I test my Xbox Live connection which of course send me back into the update download again which fails again and round and round I go.

Any ideas anyone? I really thought conencting to the wireless broadband and on to the internet was going to be the hard bit but now that I'm at the last step i.e. downloading the necessary update to join Xbox Live I'm stopped once again.

Help!!

Ben

Sorted!!! Man that was a steep learning curve.

FYI if you're an Eircom Broadband customer you need to manually set your router firewall to "Low" and grant permission to Xbox Live in the custom services option on the router control panel.

Who's a techophobe now baby!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

Bidding has ended on this item.
    Item:XBOX 360 LIVE 10000 MICROSOFT POINTS CHEAPEST ON EBAY

has it really ended, or is this guy up from fraud? LOL

Advertisement