Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What do you think of this dress?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Honestly, I'm not sure about a wedding. Maybe a blacktie event or even a Debs but dunno about a wedding.
    Also the wearer would want to be pretty tall and I think (imo) hair up, not down..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

to be brutally honest i think its a bit too much for a wedding

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Unless its a black tie wedding then i think its too much aswell. Lovely dress just not for a normal wedding here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Beautiful dress, I wouldn't wear it to a wedding though (unless it was black tie) just it's a bit ball-gown-y looking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Gorgeous but maybe too much for a wedding unless, as others have said, it's blacktie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,324 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Ya i know what you mean - just thought it was beautiful! I haven't got it or anything! And also i forgot that the wedding i'm going to is in June so if it was a blistering hot day it also wouldn't be suitable LOL!

Also saw these:

http://www.coast-stores.com/LAUREL-EMBROIDERED-DRESS/Garments/coast/fcp-product/2224684125

http://www.coast-stores.com/GABLE-ORGANZA-BANDEAU-DRESS/Wedding/coast/fcp-product/2224680355

Do ye think it's a bit too early to be looking for a dress for a June wedding?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭barleybooley

The second dress is *gorgeous* OP! I don't think it's too early, besides, you might nab a serious bargain considering it's sale season. However, if your weight is likely to fluctuate then I wouldn't be so sure about buying just yet, if not, go for it! I'll just say it again, the second one is *gorgeous* :)

The second dress is *gorgeous* OP! I don't think it's too early, besides, you might nab a serious bargain considering it's sale season. However, if your weight is likely to fluctuate then I wouldn't be so sure about buying just yet, if not, go for it! I'll just say it again, the second one is *gorgeous* :)

Do you mean the pale green one?! Ya it's nice isn't it! I got a dress for a wedding 2 years ago in Coast as well - i'm obsessed with the place!

I need to look HOT for this wedding - as a certain someone will be there....!

leahyl wrote: »
    I need to look HOT for this wedding - as a certain someone will be there....!
    :D Ok..my honest honest opinion. I dont like the first dress at all sorry. The second one is lovely though but its quite understated so if you're going for "hot" as you said this isnt the dress to do that. Elegant definitely..but i wouldnt class it as a "wow" dress.

If it was me id wait until the spring sales to get a dress for a summer wedding. I think theres more colour variety in the shops then.

anniehoo wrote: »
    :D Ok..my honest honest opinion. I dont like the first dress at all sorry. The second one is lovely though but its quite understated so if you're going for "hot" as you said this isnt the dress to do that. Elegant definitely..but i wouldnt class it as a "wow" dress.

If it was me id wait until the spring sales to get a dress for a summer wedding. I think theres more colour variety in the shops then.

Well when i say hot i don't mean SEXY:eek: That was prob the wrong word to use! I mean i want to look REALLY GOOD! I'm confused as to what dress you are talking about though cos i showed 3 dresses - are we on the other two now?

Any suggestions besides Coast where i could get a really different dress - i don't want anything too tight fitting but not too loose either - i'm small chested so i like corset style with kind of flowy end if you get me.

Bear in mind i'm in Cork but i suppose i could travel to Dublin if i had to....:D

Fran and Jane always seem to have nice unusual dresses - might look in there...

• Advertisement

I'm confused as to what dress you are talking about though cos i showed 3 dresses - are we on the other two now?
    Yeh sorry, i had commented on the very first dress you posted and then commented on the other 2. Out of the 3 the last one is the nicest.Debenhams can be quite good for dresses for weddings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭addictedtoshoes

This has 70% off!!! think it's definitely a "hawt" dress! http://www.styletonic.ie/Dresses/PREEN-BANDAGE/flypage.tpl.html?keyword=preen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭ha-ya-said-what

This has 70% off!!! think it's definitely a "hawt" dress! http://www.styletonic.ie/Dresses/PREEN-BANDAGE/flypage.tpl.html?keyword=preen

Verryyy errmmm bandagey! Plus if your tall scrap the idea for that dress as a wedding outfit, you'd be getting looks for all the wrong reasons!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Don't wear black to a wedding.

I like that first coast one, but it's a bit beachy. And that pinkish one is NOT suitable for a wedding!

Lia_lia wrote: »

And that pinkish one is NOT suitable for a wedding!

I was thinking the EXACT same thing! Not my style at all - sorry but that dress looks a bit common to me....

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

The pink bandage one is not suitable for a wedding.

To be honest OP I'd avoid Coast or Karen Millen as loads of people buy wedding outfits there so if it's any sort of big wedding you might end up with someone in a similiar outfit.

A day out in Dublin checking out the shops around Grafton St, e.g. Westbury Mall would give you a fairly decent choice of lovely dresses :)

nouggatti wrote: »
    The pink bandage one is not suitable for a wedding.

To be honest OP I'd avoid Coast or Karen Millen as loads of people buy wedding outfits there so if it's any sort of big wedding you might end up with someone in a similiar outfit.

A day out in Dublin checking out the shops around Grafton St, e.g. Westbury Mall would give you a fairly decent choice of lovely dresses :)

Ya i was thinking that about the Coast/Karen Millen thing but i just love their dresses! I wore one from coast to the last wedding and no one was wearing it - i was just lucky i guess!:) I would like to get a dress somewhere else though that is stunning and that no one else is likely to have!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Ya i was thinking that about the Coast/Karen Millen thing but i just love their dresses! I wore one from coast to the last wedding and no one was wearing it - i was just lucky i guess!:) I would like to get a dress somewhere else though that is stunning and that no one else is likely to have!

I'd definitely recommend a good browse around the Grafton St area if you can make it, include Georges St Arcade for Vintage and you'll have a huge choice.

Plus the staff in every shop I've gone into around that area I've always found lovely to deal with :)

Good luck :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

Did anyone see Expose today with Michelle Heaton (sorry I don't like her..) but the dresses they had on were fab!! Lara's Boutique on Dame Lane Dublin.. designer though :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭Pretty_Pistol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

That Chica store in Westbury Mall is having a sale at the moment. Maybe have a look in there. Or the Kildare Outlet.

Larianne wrote: »
    That Chica store in Westbury Mall is having a sale at the moment. Maybe have a look in there. Or the Kildare Outlet.

Ah someone knows it, I've been in Chica a few times and loved their clothes and the staff were fantastic.

In the Village, they've Coast and Karen Millen, but they've a few other shops good for weddings too, even Regine can sometimes have nice gear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Little Acorn

Oh where is Gok and his haberdashery when you need him?!
    Think it's a beautiful dress,but I've seen it happen a few times that more than one person ends up in the same dress at weddings when bought from Coast,so would like to make it my own-
    you have an advantage though as you're shopping early for the summer wedding,so unlikely someone will have same dress.

If I did have Gok at hand, I would love to change that silver ribbon to a dusky pink colour,and also add a very small amount of dusky pink petals to the flowers in the same material.
    This is the shade I'm thinking of http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ZybjkZpy3w7AyM%3Ahttp://www.amazingpaper.com.au/persistent/catalogue_images/products/ZSA%2520ZSA%2520PEONY%2520C.jpg
    -maybe even abit lighter.

I think this colour would be lovely for accessories aswell.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭chocgirl

I actually love the pink dress! Provided it fits you well I think it would be amazing. No point turning up in the same thing as everyone else either. I'm sick of going to weddings and seeing everyone wearing basically the same thing in different colours.

Shop around though, you have plenty of time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

The black one is too ball gowny and it's black- not suitable for a wedding.
    The blue one is nicer.
    The green one is the ugliest colour I've ever seen. It's like the colour of that fungus stuff you see on stone walls.
    The peachy pink one is not suitable for a wedding.

TK Maxx are good for dresses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

nouggatti wrote: »
    In the Village, they've Coast and Karen Millen, but they've a few other shops good for weddings too, even Regine can sometimes have nice gear.

Yeah, when I went there I came away with nothing but thinking its a great place to go to if you need to get an outfit for a wedding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

OP you might get something nice in Hickeys on Henry St in Dublin too. Oh and there's a bridal shop in Liffey Valley that do lovely dresses (that aren't actual wedding dresses).

To be honest OP, ive been to 7 weddings in 3 years...and i can tell ya now that nobody remembers what anyone wore until the facebook pics come out (i barely even remember the brides dresses tbh :D).

Ive got 3 more to go to this year alone (bridesmaid for one thank god) so my lesson learned from the last 7 is dont run amuck on the outift as people only care for about 5 minutes when they see ya first and then after that its a blur.

Coast dresses are pretty but not worth the money for one day!

Unique,comfortable, expensive (only if it can or has been worn multiple times) or cheap and gorgeous then you're sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

Gorgeous dress!!
    +1 thats the nicest out of all of them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

My favourite is that blue Coast dress. That colour is stunning and would look geat on a lot of people. Plus, it will look great on a summer's day.

The pink dress is too 'fashionable' and short for a wedding.

The black dress is formal - it's evening wear.

I don't think that there's anything distinguishing about the stone coloured dress. It's nice but nondescript.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

Love the black dress - don't think it's too much for a wedding. I've worn black dresses to weddings. I think they look great. As long as you're not wearing white, I think any colour is fine.

Right next two dresses
    can't stand the blue dress, way too casual for a wedding
    The green dress.... the colour is a bit m'eh. It doesn't stand out and looks the colour of sludge. if you're irish colouring you'll look like a corpse.

Absolutely adore the preen dress, if I had the money I'd buy it myself. Super sexy and fresh and lovely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭kizzyr

Lia_lia wrote: »
    Don't wear black to a wedding.

I like that first coast one, but it's a bit beachy. And that pinkish one is NOT suitable for a wedding!

Why on earth not? I've worn black to many weddings and never thought for a second about it. Lots of people wear black to weddings.

OP I adore the first dress (black one from Karen Millen) but think it wouldn't be suitable for a summer wedding or one that isn't black tie. Of the other dresses from Coast I think the blue one is great. The pink dress looks awful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭stripysocks85

Is there wedding wear etiquette? Because I would have considered the pink one fine for a wedding! Luckily I haven't been at one in ages, seems I'd be a totally dishevelled mess going by comments here - I haven't a clue about what to wear to a wedding!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭leesmom

http://www.coast-stores.com/LINDA-PUFF-BALL-DRESS/Dresses---view-all/coast/fcp-product/2224682280

if you want a black dress this one is very cute with really high heels

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

kizzyr wrote: »
    Why on earth not? I've worn black to many weddings and never thought for a second about it. Lots of people wear black to weddings.

I rarely see black at weddings. And I work at them most weekends.

I just think weddings should be colourful. Black can be quite dull and depressing. Just my opinion. *shrugs*

• Advertisement
Advertisement