Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ironman Commeth.....slowly

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭metal dog

griffin100 wrote: »
    Two more weeks of aerobic training and then the fun starts.

tell me about it - not looking forward to it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

The hard part is over at this point..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Izoard wrote: »
    The hard part is over at this point..:)

Thats true, after months of base you'll be eager enjoy getting to open it up a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭griffin100

Week 9
    Monday
    Swim 2,500m - 300wu / 400 drills / 300 / 200 x 3 / 300 (20 secs) / 400 drills / 200cd

Tuesday
    Bike - 1hr turbo

Wednesday
    Run 1.15hrs / 9 miles - a suprising run session. I decided to do my 'long' run today as it was a nice day and I felt good, rather than waiting until the weekend. I did 9 miles averaging 8.30 pace (in fact the last 4 miles were closer to 8 minute mile pace) whilst averaging 80% HR and running at the same perceived effort I normally do when staying aerobic at 9 minute mile pace. I hadn't run in 4 days so I think that this was a big factor in that I felt fresh and could have gone on for a good bit more at the end. Either that or I have been taking it too easy on my other runs:p (my heart rate from other runs doesn't back this up thankfully).

Swim 1,500m - 100m x 10 / 400m / 100m. I did this straight after my run so knew I was gonna suffer and I wasn't dissapointed. Still managed to knock out an average 100m pace of 2.10-2.15 which I'm happy with. Legs suffered badly from cramps at the end.

A bit pi**ed off today. I've had to lodge a complaint with ebay to try and recover money paid for a set of Planet X Pro Carbon 50 wheels that haven't turned up. Thats what I get for trying to buy anything from a scouser. Thing is, Mrs. G wasn't happy about the fact that I bought them in the first place, and the fact that two weeks later they haven't turned up and there's no guarentee that I'll get any money back means that I'm doubly in the doghouse - oh well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

I was just going on about paypal in another tread. You should get your money back I found it relatively painless although it was annoying with all the time they give the seller to respond.

Has the seller responded at all??

I rarely tell Mrs C about my purcahses on ebay or if i do i play down the money they cost me. Worse again I get my purchases sent to my work address so she doesnt even know i splashed out at all.

Although i do find year 1 is the major expensive year, I am happy with my bike, wet suit and Garmin. Tri bars have been my only purchase this year....havent got them yet from ebay either ;)

• Advertisement

I was just going on about paypal in another tread. You should get your money back I found it relatively painless although it was annoying with all the time they give the seller to respond.

Has the seller responded at all??

The seller claims he posted them - end of discussion as far as he is concerned. The purchase seems to be covered by PayPals purchase protection scheme so its good to hear that a refund is possible.
    I rarely tell Mrs C about my purcahses on ebay or if i do i play down the money they cost me. Worse again I get my purchases sent to my work address so she doesnt even know i splashed out at all.

I left it too late to put my work address as an approved delivery address on my paypal account. I have now changes this. Despite my wifes indifference to my shiny TT bike and the bits that are attached to it I do think she would have copped the new wheels. I had to buy her Michael Bubble tickets to make up for my extravagance and worse still agree to go with her - lesson learned:pac:

Mind me asking how much you paid for the wheels? I can't really justify race wheels but... bling, bling

Mind me asking how much you paid for the wheels? I can't really justify race wheels but... bling, bling

I can't justify most of my bike bits but hey, why not.....

I got them for €360 'delivered' - wheels and skewers. No tyres or brake blocks. They were tubs (for SD and OD races only - dont fancy trying to change a tub 90 miles into an IM), would prefer clinchers but cannot get PX clinchers unless you order from US. New the same kit would have cost around €500 delivered from the PX website. Whatever about making me go faster they do look bling!!

good price... hopefully they will show up now

Thursday
    Bike - 1hr Turbo

Friday
    Run - 60 mins / 7 miles. Did the seond half of this run on a grass track and I'm still suffering the effects, a really sore back. The track hasn't been rolled since before the winter and I assume the rough surface had caused the problems with my back - no serious damage, just damn sore.

Saturday
    Bike - 2.30 hrs / 76kms. Nice day so out for a bike ride. Was supposed to do 2.45hrs but I was under pressure to get home to take the kids swimming so ended up doing 2.30. Varied my normal route to get a few more hills in. Managed to average over 30kph again so happy. Was my first time back on 'energy food' since last season so my tummy not too happy with being reintroduced to ride shots and energy bars:D At this stage as well as concentrating on increasing the distances covered I'm staying on the tri bars for the duration of the rides (except when climbing).

Sunday
    Swim 2,240 - 1,000m (55.57) / 640 / 100 x 4 / 200 cd. Pretty tired after the bike ride yesterday so swimming was poor enough. I had planned to try and get a long swim of 2,500m done but I was dead after the first 1,000m so decided to break up the session into 2 x 1,000m. Two thirds of the way into the seond 1,000, had to stop - I was absolutely dead and I didn't see the point in going on with my technique all over the place. Had a rest and did the 100m repeats, all coming in under 2.10. Was concentrating on trying to get my body long and this seemed to help. This swimming thing is always going to be a mystery to me - I can go from good to bad to good within a single session without seeming to change anything.

Run 60 mins / 7 miles. Running speed is definitely starting to improve - 7 x 8.20mins miles during this run at the same heart rate (80%) that 3-4 weeks ago was giving me 9 minute miles. Thats encouraging.

Week 9 Totals
    Swim 6,240m
    Bike 4.5hrs (2 hrs turbo / 2.5 hrs (76kms ) road)
    Run 3.15hrs / 23 miles

One more aerobic week. This week will end in a 90 minute run and a 3 hr ride so I'm looking forward to this. I'll probably push out the 3hr ride (weather depending) to get my first 100km ride of the season.

• Advertisement

Week 10
    My last week of aerobic training and I'm struggling to get the training done. A combinatuion of work stuff is limiting my training time and I'm knackered - the last 9 weeks are starting to catch up with me.....as long as I get the long run and bike done the weekend I'll be happy.

Monday - my first day off in two weeks.

Tuesday
    Run 7 miles / 60 mins
    Tired so ran at a low heart rate.

Wednesday
    Swim 2,500m - straight swim. This was my longest swim to date. I should have done 3 or 4 of these already according to Fink but I hadn't. I set off at a comfortable pace and at the end still felt good. I checked my splits and despite not pushing the pace did the first 750m in 17.45 which is only 10 secs off mt best time for that distance. My 1,000m and 2,000 also came in faster than previously (24mins / 51 mins) but there was quite a drop off in pace for the second 1,000m. The last 500m took 13mins as at this stage the my 'technique' was starting to suffer - 1.04 all in. Still a bit off my target IM time of 1.30hrs but there's still a lot of swimming still to be done before August 1st (around 200,000m if I stick to Finks plan:eek:). Need to concentrate on my head position - I keep dropping my chin towards my chest.

Pool was mental again. There were about 12 people trying to do legths at one stage with no lane ropes. Then a girl got in and decided to backstroke (badly) with the end result that I clattered into her a couple of times and then she got a real wallop from one of the fast swimmers. Good practise for a mass IM swim start me thinks.

I got talking to one of the 'fast' swimmers afterwards (estimate 1.40ish for 100m) who informed me he was only swimming a few weeks :eek:. He explained his wife was a a former college swimmer in the states and she gave him a couple of pointers (including tumble turning). Just goes to show if you get taught correctly at the start it shows (as opposed to being pretty much self taught like me).

Thursday
    Run 7 miles / 60 mins
    Pushed the heart rate up to 80% for the hour and did solid 8.10 miles. Running is really starting to come together.

Good man...you seem to be building up well.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭dare2be

Week 10
    My last week of aerobic training and I'm struggling to get the training done. A combinatuion of work stuff is limiting my training time and I'm knackered - the last 9 weeks are starting to catch up with me.....as long as I get the long run and bike done the weekend I'll be happy.

Monday - my first day off in two weeks.

Tuesday
    Run 7 miles / 60 mins
    Tired so ran at a low heart rate.

Wednesday
    Swim 2,500m - straight swim. This was my longest swim to date. I should have done 3 or 4 of these already according to Fink but I hadn't. I set off at a comfortable pace and at the end still felt good. I checked my splits and despite not pushing the pace did the first 750m in 17.45 which is only 10 secs off mt best time for that distance. My 1,000m and 2,000 also came in faster than previously (24mins / 51 mins) but there was quite a drop off in pace for the second 1,000m. The last 500m took 13mins as at this stage the my 'technique' was starting to suffer - 1.04 all in. Still a bit off my target IM time of 1.30hrs but there's still a lot of swimming still to be done before August 1st (around 200,000m if I stick to Finks plan:eek:). Need to concentrate on my head position - I keep dropping my chin towards my chest.

Pool was mental again. There were about 12 people trying to do legths at one stage with no lane ropes. Then a girl got in and decided to backstroke (badly) with the end result that I clattered into her a couple of times and then she got a real wallop from one of the fast swimmers. Good practise for a mass IM swim start me thinks.

I got talking to one of the 'fast' swimmers afterwards (estimate 1.40ish for 100m) who informed me he was only swimming a few weeks :eek:. He explained his wife was a a former college swimmer in the states and she gave him a couple of pointers (including tumble turning). Just goes to show if you get taught correctly at the start it shows (as opposed to being pretty much self taught like me).

Thursday
    Run 7 miles / 60 mins
    Pushed the heart rate up to 80% for the hour and did solid 8.10 miles. Running is really starting to come together.

I have that problem too. Very annoying but good practice all the same...

Lessons at the start are the key for the swimming. I couldn't swim f/s a couple of weeks ago and now i'm doing 750m in a 45 minute session. Not great by any means but great for me!

Friday
    Off - had an iron man size session on the beer on thursday night followed by a double iron man sized hangover on friday - a loss of three potential training sessions. Thursday night was a freebie and I almost pulled out until I copped on - I might be obsessed with training and missing sessions but feck it you need to live....right?

Saturday
    Run 90 mins / 10 miles. My longest run to date. Comfortable the whole way around apart from a small blister on one foot. Nice and gentle 8.45 pace miles.

Sunday
    Bike 100 kms / 3hrs12mins - Fink called for a 3hr ride so I decided to try and get my first century of the year in. 3hrs plus in the big ring and on the aerobars....so I'm a wee bit stiff today but nothing major. Delighted with the ride - 50kms @ 1.33hrs / 90 kms @ 2.51hrs / 100kms @ 3.12hrs. Average pace just over 30kph for the 100kms - 30kph is the magic figure for a 6hr IM bike. Heart rate average 75% - corrected to around 78-79% using Finks 5% correction factor for the bike so a solid Z2 aerobic effort. Had a dodgy few minutes at around 80kms when I felt like I was starting to tire but a few bites of a power bar sorted that out (I spent the rest of the ride trying to clear a peanut from my windpipe:rolleyes:). Energy intake was less than I plan during IM so happy with the constant energy levels over the 3hrs apart from that one episode.

Week 10 Totals
    Swim 2,500m
    Bike 3.12hrs / 100kms
    Run 3.5hrs / 24 miles

A bad week for totals, but some compensation from a long run and a long bike.

So, the first 10 weeks are up. How has it gone?
    10 week totals:
    Swim - Fink 50,000m ; Me 47,990m
    Bike - Fink 34.15hrs ; Me 35.35hrs
    Run - Fink 30.45 ; Me 24.35 (166 miles)

Swim
    Not too far off Finks totals for this stage - one training session. Happy with this. Swimming has been up and down but have gone from swimming 100m repeats in around 2.45 to doing so in around 2.15 so there has been some improvement. I'm never gonna be first out of the water so I'm debating as to whether or not an investment in a tri to swim weekend would be worth it for a few extra minutes. The eneregy saved in swimming more efficiently would probable be a better bonus.

Bike
    Did slightly more than required, due to a lot of time over Christmas in the garage on the turbo looking out at a foot of snow. I'm pleased with my biking overall. Sundays 100km ride really made me happy - if I can keep that sort of pace over 4-5 hrs then I might reconsider my target time of 6.30hrs.

Run
    Well down on Finks requirement. Mainly due to the loss of a lot of sessions in the early weeks. Also I haven't been doing the brick sessions in the plan - 45 bike / 15 run - I have been replacing them with a 1 hr bike. Still I dont think the low numbers are a problem. I haven't missed a run session since week 1 or 2 and I'm happy with my progress. Keeping a a solid 80% HR / Z2 is giving me well under 9 minute miles; again all good for IM.

On the Boards ART Challenge on todays posting I'm in 4th place in the swim; around 8th place on the bike allowing an average of 25kph for all my bike / turbo time; and 11th place for my run.

To date no injuries - just a few twinges and the odd soreness which is to be expected. I've lost around 3kgs since week 1, despite a love of vino and takeaways. I'm gonna have to start eating more fruit and veg:)

20 weeks to go.................

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭mitresize5

great going on getting to your first milestone

I'm really enjoying reading this log and watching your progress all the way to the IM

Keep it up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭metal dog

Friday
    Off - had an iron man size session on the beer on thursday night followed by a double iron man sized hangover on friday - a loss of three potential training sessions. Thursday night was a freebie and I almost pulled out until I copped on - I might be obsessed with training and missing sessions but feck it you need to live....right?

Right :)

You are right to be pleased with that bike work, sounds really solid.

Any sign of your wheels or have you given up hope?

Friday

Excellent!

Had a mare of a weekend myself...a 70min turbo session during the match, was about the only time I didn't have a glass of wine in front of me:)

Great numbers, looks like you are right on track!

Any sign of your wheels or have you given up hope?

Nothing yet. I've opened a case with ebay but they are sooo slow. The last mail they sent me was 10 days ago indicating a decision on a refund within 48hrs :rolleyes: Thing is, given how bad the postal service in the UK is I wouldn't be surprised if they turn up at some stage. I wish they would just make a decision. If I get a refund I like the look of some of the Easton wheels on wiggle (around €500ish). At a push (if I win the lotto) I really like the Reynolds Assault - although at around €850 I would be in divorce country if I bought those.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

On the Boards ART Challenge on todays posting I'm in 4th place in the swim; around 8th place on the bike allowing an average of 25kph for all my bike / turbo time; and 11th place for my run.

To date no injuries - just a few twinges and the odd soreness which is to be expected. I've lost around 3kgs since week 1, despite a love of vino and takeaways. I'm gonna have to start eating more fruit and veg:)

20 weeks to go.................

So you going to join the challenge or do I have to put you in could be tight between you and interested :D

Well done on that block of training there, solid work. And the weight loss too!

• Advertisement

So you going to join the challenge or do I have to put you in could be tight between you and interested biggrin.gif
    For fecks sake his swimming and my running distances are similar :)

I'll put meself in at some stage - a late dash for glory. Have you decided on the distance value of a 1hr turbo session?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

For fecks sake his swimming and my running distances are similar :)

I'll put meself in at some stage - a late dash for glory. Have you decided on the distance value of a 1hr turbo session?

Hmmm I'll have to put in a mid summer cut off at least to prevent a coup ;)

Reasonable estimate. There will be a lot less turbo going on soon anyway with the days lengthening out. Lets say if 20 of your 35 hours cycling has been turbo you could approximate an average. Without a CPU I'd have been doing 20-25km per hours max during base1 type stuff. More recently 30km+ per hour as I am coming through base2 and onto build blocks.

The lads on the cycling forum could give you the science :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

Izoard wrote: »
    Excellent!

Had a mare of a weekend myself...a 70min turbo session during the match, was about the only time I didn't have a glass of wine in front of me:)

Great numbers, looks like you are right on track!

+1 griffin100. Great to see the buildup working!

Izoard - we'll have to find you one of those drinking hats with the flexible straws like this to attach to your wine for the Turbo sessions :D
    DRINKING_HAT_1.JPG

RedB wrote: »
    +1 griffin100. Great to see the buildup working!

Izoard - we'll have to find you one of those drinking hats with the flexible straws like this to attach to your wine for the Turbo sessions :D
    DRINKING_HAT_1.JPG

Finally, a bit of optional kit that I might actually use...:)

Week 11
    Monday
    Off

Tuesday
    Swim 3,000m - 500 wu / 400 drills / 200 x 4 / 100 x 6 / 400 drills / 300 cd
    Absolutely shagged after this, my first 3,000m session. I'm supposed to start squeezing three of these a week in:eek: Maintained a decent speed for me over the full session so happy.

Run 60 mins / 7 miles (5 x 1 min pull up / 1 min jog @15 mins) - first run with 'pull ups' built in. Felt it. Was way overdressed for the weather and ended up sweating buckets.

Wednesday
    Bike 54kms / 1.45hrs (5 x 1 min pull up / 1 min spin @15 mins)nice ride in blustery conditions. A few sideways gusts almost had me over.

Lower back was pretty sore yesterday which I'm putting down to the swim. I think I overstretched at one stage. It seems fine today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭DustyBin

Maybe you got your wheels, maybe you know about this offer already, you probably get the wiggle emails anyway, but basically I saw this and thought of you :pac:

£100 off any Bike, Frame, Wheel or Wheelset over £750 on wiggle
    Offer ends midnight tonight
    code is 100-BFW

Are you an impulse shopper?
    I will not be held responsible for your divorce :D

Maybe you got your wheels, maybe you know about this offer already, you probably get the wiggle emails anyway, but basically I saw this and thought of you pacman.gif

£100 off any Bike, Frame, Wheel or Wheelset over £750 on wiggle
    Offer ends midnight tonight
    code is 100-BFW

Are you an impulse shopper?
    I will not be held responsible for your divorce biggrin.gif

Ha, I got this too. If wiggle did reynolds wheels I'd be seriously tempted. I dont think mavic carbones are worth a divorce but it is under consideration......but reynolds assault definitely are:D

Thursday
    Run 7 miles / 60 mins (5 x 1 min pull up / 1 min jog @45 mins).

Was supposed to do a swim but was absolutely knackered when I got in from work and couldn't face the prospect of fighting my way up and down a crowded pool. I would have ended up binning the session after a few hundred metres so to salvage something I decided to do a run instead. I was really tired starting out but ater a few minutes got a new rush of energy and felt great......then the wheels came off. It was about two miles in that I realised that having not eaten anything substantial since the previous afternoon (14-15hrs before) I was probably not best prepared for my 'ironman' training session. I absolutely died....my most serious boink ever. Literally shuffelled back to the house where I inhaled two bananas; a pack of ride shots; a bar of caramel and a pint of water...and went back out again to finish my 7 miles. Glad I stuck it out, I think it does you good to have a boink every now and again just to make you realise what your gonna get on the day.

Got my VO2 max results back last week:
    • Max HR: 187 - I was using 220-age i.e. 184 so my zones haven't changed all that much so my training to date has been pretrty spot on using the 220-age formulae
    • VO2 Max = 58ml/kg/min
    • Lactate threshold reached at around 5km/min pace / 168bpm
    Dont know what it all means but the graphs were pretty:D

Friday
    Second day off this week. 8am start in work followed by school play that evening.

Saturday
    Run 1.15hrs / 9 miles. For some reason couldn't keep the HR down and averaged 89%:eek:

Sunday
    Swim 3,000m - 500 wu / 400 drills / 200-300-400-500 (30 secs) / 400 drills / 300 cd

Really enjoyed this session. Felt strong all the way through. Was able to hold the same pace for the cool down that I held during the main set. I need to start working on some more 100m sprint repeats to improve my times I think. I have a habit of just coasting along at a comfortable pace.

Bike 78kms / 2.25hrs - I did this about 30 mins after the swim ended - not quite a brick session but close enough to feel the swim in my legs. This is something I think I'll do again. The swim-bike brick tends to get overshawdowed by the run-bike brick but I think its useful to do these especially after a long swim. Held an average of around 32kph so happy.

Week 11 Totals
    Swim 6,000m
    Run 3.15hrs / 23 miles
    Bike 4.15hrs / 132kms

A bad bad week:mad:. Need to htfu for this week.

• Advertisement

Week 12
    Monday
    Swim 3,000m - straight swim. Yippee...my longest ever swim. Was dreading the thoughts of it but it actually ended up being fine. I got into a nice rhythm early on with a nice long stroke, good body rotation (a big problem for me usually) and by the end could actually consider getting on a bike and riding a few kms. I still need to work on the head position, I tend to keep it very low in the water with my face almost perpendicular to the pool floor. Time was a bonus also - 1.14.30 approx - this puts me at around 1.34hrs IM which is not to far off my target of 1.30hrs. My 750m / 1,000m / 2,000m spilts were all new PB's by a good bit - 750m @ 17.10mins / 1,000m @ 22.30 / 2nd 2,000m @ 26.30 :rolleyes:/ 3rd 1,000 @ 25.30.

Shoulder a bit stiff today but nothing major.

Advertisement