Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ironman Commeth.....slowly

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭griffin100

Week 28
    The first of my taper weeks but still a good 12hrs or so required. Work ended up being manic this week and I got very little training done overall.

Monday
    Off - gave the club swim session a miss after my long weekend.

Tuesday
    A long day on work and too late to train when I got home

Wednesday
    Run 10 miles / 90 mins

Thursday
    Another work enforced day off:mad:

Friday
    Swim 2,200m - 1,000wu / 300/200/100 x 2. Felt very very tired on this so ended the session early. Was also thinking about Carrick next next day.

Saturday
    Carrick Sprint 750m/20kms/5kms

Sunday
    I had planned to do a 2hr run and a 4hr bike today, either seperately or as a brick. The weather was crap in the morning so decided to do the run then and hope the weather improved for a bike later in the day. Run went ok.

Run 13.5 miles / 2hrs

After lunch decided to try and do 3-4 hrs on the turbo whilst watching the TDF. Was ok until about an hour in when my hip started to give problems. Then serious pain began of a type I haven't felt before, so I ended the session. Majorly p!ssed off with this.

Bike 1hr turbo.

Week 28 Totals
    Swim 2,950m - bad bad bad. I had been planning to do serious time in the pool during the taper. Need to make sure I get 4-5 decent sesssions in over the next 10 days or so. If I have a slow week in the pool it takes me 2-3 sessions to get right again.
    Bike 20kms / 1hr turbo - starting to worry that by not getting in the required 4hr ride this week that I've 'peaked' too soon. Hip is also worrying me. I plan to try and do 2-3 x 2hr rides this week at a gentle pace to test out hip.
    Run 27 miles - happy with this. Funny that running has no effect on my hip.

Carrick Race Report
    I did this race last year and rated it as probably the best race that I did in 2009 - well organised, good atmosphere and a comedy genius on the PA system. This year the weather looked ok so the wife and kids came along.

I was hoping to take 2 mins off each of the three splits this year on last years time. I also planned to ride home (120km) after the race as my long bike for the week.

Racked up and went through ususal pre race routine, albeit with a 2 year old hanging off my leg:) At the swim entrance a marshal was trying to give some sort of final briefing on how the start would work but all I heard was go on the whistle. Into the water and then at a signal from the bank everyone went. Was this the start? I set off at a fast pace (no point taking it easy in a current assisted swim). After a bit it there was a canoe directly in front of me who stopped me - it was not the start but a signal from the bank to swim downstream to the start line. Ok, at least I was warmed up. It was really difficult holding place in the current.Then those closest to the bank began to swim, was this the start? It was, although trying to hear a whistle when your in the middle of a wide river is a bit difficult. I swam hard and drifted a bit wide. My stroke felt all over the place and laboured (not enough time in the pool this week). After what felt like an age (9 mins) I got out. Only just under a minute quicker than last year...crap

My usual slow transition and out onto the bike. Legs had no energy. It took me about 10km to get going. I was all over the place for the first 10kms jumping between gears and trying to get a steady rhythm going (I still managed to overtake pointy helmet man on Cervelo - a first for me:D). Much better 2nd half, catching 2-3 of the 6 or so riders who had caught me in the first 10kms. Bike was 10 secs quicker than last year...ffs.

An eternity in T2 and I started off running hard. I was tracking a group of about 8 runners about 200m in front of me. I managed to pick off 2-3 of them but couldn't catch the rest. I was pushing hard but me legs felt great. Bit of a sprint finish to get one more place - run was over 2 mins quicker than last year - better.

I was 40 places higher than last year which is an improvement. Dont know how my spilts ranked as no details on website as yet. Swim felt poor but that is a result of lack of time in the pool this week (my form felt poor on Friday night but I was still hitting 1.58-2.00 per 100m). Bike was a mystery, I couldn't settle in the first 10kms, probably due to concentrating on long steady rides rather than fast short rides in training. I was delighted with the run. Sub 25mins for a run course thats closer to 6km was good for me.

Decided not to ride the 120kms home as my hip felt a bit stiff, how stiff I found out on Sunday:(

A fantastic day out with a well organised and run event. It's one race I'll definitely do again next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Have you had a bike fit? having your saddle too high can lead to rocking your hips side to side, might be it.

Have you had a bike fit? having your saddle too high can lead to rocking your hips side to side, might be it.
    Yes I got a bike fit in Wheelkworx when I bought my bike last year. Its being serviced this week so I'm woundering should I go for another fit when I collect it or is it too close to the race to start messing with positions.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

griffin100 wrote: »
    Yes I got a bike fit in Wheelkworx when I bought my bike last year. Its being serviced this week so I'm woundering should I go for another fit when I collect it or is it too close to the race to start messing with positions.

Definitely! In a couple of weeks you are going to have to ride for 5+ hours mostly on your bars so make damn sure that position in comfortable. Everything from the bike set up to cleat posistion.. check it all and double check it then! Make it a higher priority than the swim miles this week!!

It could be a double edged sword but id be inclined to have a go at getting it fixed because as MCOS says you ll have to do 5hours plus in few weeks and you dont want to be suffering all the way through. Id also suggest seeing a physio, they might pick up something on it for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

(I still managed to overtake pointy helmet man on Cervelo - a first for me:D).

The Ironman commeth.....faster ;)

The Ironman commeth.....faster wink.gif

Ha ha. The bike to work scheme seems to have made shiney TT bikes and Zip 404's commonplace now so they're no longer a sign of a fast rider.

I've booked a bike fit for wednesday so we'll see how it goes. Thanks for the advice all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Ha ha. The bike to work scheme seems to have made shiney TT bikes and Zip 404's commonplace now so they're no longer a sign of a fast rider.

How true is that! The bike shop boys are in heaven.

Still haven't cashed in my golden ticket yet...decisions, decisions:)

Week 29 :eek:
    Monday
    Swim 1,000m drills and sprints. Club session that really got me going - lots of sprinting.

Tuesday
    Run 5 miles / 45 mins ((@ 10 mins insert 6 mins Z4 / 2 min jog) x 2)

Wednesday
    Run 5 miles / 45 mins (@ 30 mins insert 7.5 mins Z4)

I could get used to these 5 miles runs, a lot easier than 10 milers:)

Thursday
    Swim 2,000m straight (45 mins). Slow swim this morning. Spent most of the time fighting my way between breaststroking pensioners. Only a couple of sessions left to work on my stroke.

Had a new bike fit yesterday. I was expecting some minor tweaks as I had already had a bike fit done when I bought the bike. It didn't quite work out like that. My problem was / is a huge amount of hip rotation. I ended up with the saddle being moved forward, the height being changed, the tri bars being lowered and the top stem being reversed:eek: The bike actually looks completely different now with the very changed geometry. Given that I'm tapering I wont be able to do a long cycle to test it out before IM but I hope to get a couple of 2hr rides in. It cant be any worse than it was before anyway.

I loaded up the bike last night with all my IM accessories - bottle on frame; two bottles under seat; puncture repair stuff in undersaddle bag and a mini pump on one of underseat bottles. My bike looks like a pack horse now. When the bottles are full I must be carrying an extra 3kgs (and thats not including the food I will have in my cycle jersey). I could lower the weight by loosing a bottle but I like having three so I dont need to stop as often at the aid stations. If its very hot then 3 bottles will be needed. Having 3 tubes in my saddle bag and plenty of food in my pocket means that I do not need to worry about special needs bags either. Anyway, I'm not looking to break any records:)

Friday
    Bike 30kms / 1 hr. Testing out the new geometry on the bike. Felt ok, still some twinges in the hip but a lot less than last time.

Swim 1,000m. Under pressure for time so decided to do a quick dip. Did 1,000m at a good pace, about 85% effort I'd say and came in under 20 mins, my best ever time for that sort of distance.

Saturday
    Bike 60 kms / 2 hrs
    Run 3 miles / 30 mins
    A nice brick session. Hip felt ok on bike. However as tri bars have moved neck and lower back felt a bit stiff. Oh well, just going to have to HTFU on the day. I'd rather a stiff neck / back that the pain I was getting previously.

Sunday
    Swim 1,000m - another straight 1,000m swim. This time a took it really slowly came in at 21.30ish. If I keep that pace on Sunday (:eek:) I'll be happy as that would give me a mid 1.20's swim.

Run 7 miles / 1 hr. Left the HR at home and just kept a nice pace - 7 x 8min miles. Nice to stretch the legs as they're starting to feel a bit 'heavy'.

Week 29 Totals
    Swim 5,000m. Not a great total but that was over 4 short sessions. At this stage I think the shorter sessions in the pool concentrating on technique are going to do me more good than trying to squeeze out another 3,000m+ swim. Its not like I'm gonna get any 'fitter' in the next few days:D I'm breaking in a new pair of goggles which are the same as my old ones but they seem to be leaking more - if I cant get that sorted for IM I'll revert back to my old ones, although they are starting to leak now as well (I meant to change goggles weeks ago but never got around to it).
    Bike 90kms Two sessions on the new set up and seems ok. Some minor tweaks in the hip but I'm happy enough. I think I'll carry 2 neurofen plus in the pocket just in case.......
    Run 20 miles Legs are feeling pretty good at the minute. I got new runners two weeks ago and have put about 45 miles into them so I'm happy they're ok for the big day.

So last week before IM. The plan for this week is:
    Monday - club session in the pool approx. 1,000m
    Tuesday - run 45 mins / swim 2,000m
    Wednesday - bike 1 hr / 30kms
    Thursday - travel to UK
    Friday - swim at race venue - one lap (1.9km) of lake at gentle pace if I can
    Saturday - nothing - might stretch the legs with 10 mins run and 10 mins on bike before I rack it
    Sunday - swim 2.4 miles / bike 112 miles / run 26.2 miles:D

Weather forcast for next Sunday is high teens; 15-20kms winds and drizzle:rolleyes: Sounds ok, wet roads might slow my descents and cornering down a bit but at least they're not giving torrential rain (yet!!). Its not gonna be 25 degrees either which is good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Iron Enthusiast

Sounds like your well prepared for the big day Griffin!
    I hear you on the Goggle front as it can be hard to get the right pair that suits you. Might be wise to "splash out" (sorry couldn't resist:) and pick up another new pair if that new one is leaking! (that way you'll have a back up):pac:

You are sooo ready to go!

Your training has been much more structured than mine, and I felt very comfortable all the way around.

Knock it out of the park:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

I'll get my good wishes in here now in case I forget. All the best with your IM on Sunday, fair play to you - you have plenty of miles under you and some good quality sessions, bring it on home.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

I am going in now as well for my best wishes, Mrs C gone to bed so i have snuck out the laptop, i promised no computer on holidays so it might be a while before i get online again ;)

Good luck on sunday, I think you will do well!

Week 30 - the last week
    I cant believe I'm at week 30 already. It seems to have flown by, but according to my wife its been a long 30 week slog living with an IM bore:D

Monday
    Swim 1,000m drills and sprints with club.

Tuesday
    Run 5 miles / 40 minutes - trying to take it easy, but the legs just want to go fast - must be the excitment.

Work up with a head cold on Tuesday so gonna take it really easy the rest of the week. I really dont want a sore throat and the snuffles lasting until Sunday. I still feel a bit crap today.

Thanks to all for the encouragement, some of you seem to have more faith in me than I do:D I'm still surprisingly calm. I suppose its because I know there's no more that I can do and I'm just going to enjoy the day - you only get to do your first IM once. Whilst I'v mentioned target times I'm just gonna go at a a comfortable pace and not worry about the time.

Week 30 - the last week
    I cant believe I'm at week 30 already. It seems to have flown by, but according to my wife its been a long 30 week slog living with an IM bore:D

Monday
    Swim 1,000m drills and sprints with club.

Tuesday
    Run 5 miles / 40 minutes - trying to take it easy, but the legs just want to go fast - must be the excitment.

Work up with a head cold on Tuesday so gonna take it really easy the rest of the week. I really dont want a sore throat and the snuffles lasting until Sunday. I still feel a bit crap today.

Thanks to all for the encouragement, some of you seem to have more faith in me than I do:D I'm still surprisingly calm. I suppose its because I know there's no more that I can do and I'm just going to enjoy the day - you only get to do your first IM once. Whilst I'v mentioned target times I'm just gonna go at a a comfortable pace and not worry about the time.

All the best with it, the hard part (6am cycles in lashing rain etc...) is behind you, so a couple of deep breaths and enjoy it.

Do you have your number yet? If you are so inclined, post it and we can keep an eye on you:) www.ironmanlive.com

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

Best of luck on Sunday. I've been a bit of a lurker on this training log. Hope you enjoy the day! (and that the cold gets better...)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Good luck at the weekend, I thought this was still weeks/months away... how the seaon flies by

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭nomadic

Best of luck and enjoy! Don't go drinking any of that water.

• Advertisement

Toxic scum in Bolton? What a surprise...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

Best of luck Griff. Its all good from here. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Notwitch

griffin,

best of luck. The training is done and done well it seems!

Enjoy the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Best of Luck in Bolton Griffin100, another report I'm looking forward to :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭mitresize5

very best of luck for the weekend Griffin

looking forward to the report

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭metal dog

good luck griffin, the work is done

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

congrats chief. you've made it to the start line - just go and enjoy it all now.

Best of luck dude

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Iron Enthusiast

Hey Griffin,

Congratulations on becoming an Ironman!!:pac:

Advertisement