Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Looking for good all round lense for Nikon D40

• 15-01-2010 12:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭

Hello, I am planning a trip away where there will be some really good scenery and would like to get a decent lense with zoom. I want to pack light, so would only want to bring one lense which is why I am looking for an all rounder.

At the moment I only have the stock 18-55mm which has done me for now.

I am looking at the two different lenses below. The 18-200mm would be the ideal but I don't really have the money for it, so was thinking that the 18-105mm would at least give me some zoom and it is more affordable. Has anybody got the 18-105mm and know what it is like, what are full zoom photos like on it, any issues etc? Also would you consider it a good alternative to someone on a tight budget?

AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 G ED VR II

18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF AF-S VR DX Zoom-NIKKOR

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

I have the 18-105mm VR came with my D90. It was the only lens I had for a 10 day trip to Italy (Rome, Amalfi coast and Naples).
    I have to say I couldn't have been happier (without spending a mint).
    It is the lens I have on my camera for everyday walking around most often.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭eightcell

I got a 18-200mm VR over the Christmas and its the business.
    For me the extra reach on the 18-200mm makes it a better multipurpose lens then the 18-105mm. I would recommend a trip up to the north to get one as they are going for approx £550 up there. The prices here in the republic are insane thats for sure!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭ianflynn

i heard there are some colour irregularities at full zoom on them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 733 ✭✭✭bbbbb

Sigma & Tamron make some super zooms as well, may be worth checking out reviews:
    Price wise from Jessops:
    Nikon 18-200 VC II £579
    Tamron 18-270 VC £449 or 78%
    Tamron 18-250 NO VC £389 or 67%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

18-200 is a good lens. I have the Sigma but if you have the cash and are very picky get the Nikkor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭micdug

I have the 18-200 which is great. Personally if you can't afford it I'd go for the 55-200, it's a lot cheaper but the same quality and Nikon. Off brand lenses always depreciate faster then brand, and to be fair, Nikon and Canon are lense companies - that's why you'd go for them.

If I were you, I'd get the 55-200, save for the 10-24, and finally the 35mm (I have the last two). I think Kenrockwell had them up as his DX dreamteam...

Advertisement