Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ford Fiesta for €1250

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Get it checked out firstly. Had an identical one in silver as my first car. Great yokes

Looks to be priced sensibly, you won't get any better for less if she is an honest well maintained one. Do try and get a few € off though, even a ton or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Heres another good value car, Would be worth getting someone to run an eye over it.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1109852

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭pontovic

Thanks for the replies guys and Omeara_darragh thanks for posting that link, but that wouldn't be my cup of tea or within my price range :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

Good little car, had quite a few of them in the family.
    Hope you get the two keys with it, one is a standard door key other
    is ignition+imobilizer key. Only annoying fault was the drivers
    door barrels can fail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Heres another good value car, Would be worth getting someone to run an eye over it.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1109852

That'd be a great little car

• Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

pontovic wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies guys and Omeara_darragh thanks for posting that link, but that wouldn't be my cup of tea or within my price range :)

If you offered him a grand straight I'm fairly sure you'd drive it away, 50 quid for a test and your sorted :)

If you offered him a grand straight I'm fairly sure you'd drive it away, 50 quid for a test and your sorted :)

Unless it needs tyres, brakes, shocks, CV joints, CV boots, track rod ends etc. May or may not need anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Pimp Ninja

One of these was my first car, (1242 zetec) and its currently my wifes.
    Bought a 2001 model in 2002 with about 3000 miles on the clock.

The only thing that has gone wrong with it is the coil pack went a few months back when we had the really bad floods. Other than that it is a fantastic little car.

There are a few annoying things I can pick out with it (like cup holder not fitting my travel mug) but they are cosmetic really.
    Its an epic little car, with a little bit of poke, and I still love driving it.

Thanks for the replied everyone. Yeah for a small runaround I have my heart set on this little beast. Do you think €1250 is a good price for it ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Looks good but I would really need something that has a decent NCT on it. I'll call them and see will they get it through the NCT. Thanks for the link :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Pimp Ninja

Scuffs aside,
    The steering wheels are made from a rubber/plastic with a fake leather look.

They genuinely do stain and peel like this in a very short time. Very small balls of rubber come off when the steering wheel is rubbed in hot weather - quite an easy thing to do when bored in traffic.
    Also easily stained by make up after it starts to peel.

Off the top of my head my (wifes) car has similar mileage to this and the steering wheel is in a similar condition.

Do get them to NCT it before buying thou!

Just did a check on it there for €20 on motorcheck.ie which reports nothing unusual, although they were unable to verify the mileage. I will ask to have a look at the NCT cert from last year and see how it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,241 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

That 99 one looks rough imo, the one below looks much tidier, is a year younger, the facelifted Ghia model and will come with an NCT in a few days time. I'd offer them €1350 pending NCT as see what they say.

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=201002196528482

People I have been talking to say that anything over a grand for these cars is too much and I should pay no more than that for what are ten year old cars. Would it be feasible to offer that much or would I be told where to go ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

People I have been talking to say that anything over a grand for these cars is too much and I should pay no more than that for what are ten year old cars. Would it be feasible to offer that much or would I be told where to go ?

The year of the car isn't anywhere near as important as the quality of the car you're getting.

People who get hung up on how old a car is never have a clue what they're talking about, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Carstuck

If interested in a fiesta make sure you give a good look under the car for rust especially alone the sides on both driver and passenger side, they tend to be rusty at this age. The facelift model in 00 is more advanced than the 99 and is going to be worth more regardless of what anyone says, the ghia in 00 comes with front fogs, CD player etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Depends on the car and condition.

If it gives you 3 trouble free motoring...

Wait for the best one you can get. Don't touch anything without a NCT unless YOU are a mechanic and know what you are doing.

I went to have a look at the silver one recently and the bodywork had dents and scuffs all over it. I think I'll keep looking for another one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭SIX PACK

betafrog wrote: »
    I would want that Fiesta to be checked over tbh. The front is fairly badly scuffed and that steering wheel has seen far too much use for that car to be a genuine 50k miles...

definatly agree that car looks like its done way over the 50k id say its done over 100k so would be worth getting a check done trough www.cartell.ie clocking cars is childs play if you have the right equipment. iv been stung before :mad:

To be honest I'm completely flabberghsted by the asking prices for some of these cars on carzone, given that they are the age they are and the condition they are in. In 2005, when I was first looking for a car, a small car like the fiesta would fetch on average €1000 and now they seem to be charging a lot more than that.

My brother has offered to sell his car and I think I will go with that in the end - at least I know that one is in good condition and has been well looked after.

Thanks for all the replies and for your opinions. God bless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 h_tynan

Have to agree, especially carzone prices, I think private sellers get their norms from seller deals which then spirals out of control kind alike a housing bubble.

Should be able to buy a 10 year old Fiesta for 800+ imo

Agreed. Glad I managed to sort out a car now I know has been taken care of and serviced regularly.

It's really too much of a gamble going for these older cars from dealers.

Advertisement