Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

coputer Doctor

• 15-01-2010 1:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 645 ✭✭✭

Hi I am looking for a bit of advice.
    I could not recieve my e-mail and rang blacknight who are hosting.
    They told me that my ip address was blackisted.I am not a spammer but they said you can be infected probaly not your fault and I should ring the service provider so I rang upc and they said that I would have go a site www.whatismyipaddress.com and find out if it is blacklisted and I can request an new ip address from that site.I have done all this and am waiting on a new address it says on the site it could take hours.
    I was thinking of bringing my computer to a COMPUTER DOCTOR I know there is one around near me I have seen their fliers.
    Is it a good idea to bring the computer and ask him to remove all trojans/virus and ask him to put something on it that will protect me from this.
    how much approx would it cost.
    As you can probaly tell I am not great with computer/internet/security.
    Any advice would be great thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,532 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Hi I am looking for a bit of advice.
    I could not recieve my e-mail and rang blacknight who are hosting.
    They told me that my ip address was blackisted.I am not a spammer but they said you can be infected probaly not your fault and I should ring the service provider so I rang upc and they said that I would have go a site www.whatismyipaddress.com and find out if it is blacklisted and I can request an new ip address from that site.I have done all this and am waiting on a new address it says on the site it could take hours.
    I was thinking of bringing my computer to a COMPUTER DOCTOR I know there is one around near me I have seen their fliers.
    Is it a good idea to bring the computer and ask him to remove all trojans/virus and ask him to put something on it that will protect me from this.
    how much approx would it cost.
    As you can probaly tell I am not great with computer/internet/security.
    Any advice would be great thanks.

Don't waste your money. The tools and know-how to sort your machine out are freely available on the web.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 645 ✭✭✭cichlid child

Thank you both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 BrotherGrim

If you don't know what you are doing, go to the pc doctor. Your better off having someone who's in the know have a look, otherwise the problem will just resurface.

If you still have internet access, you can download & install some free anti-virus program yourself. Some of the others here might have some suggestions but you can try this:

AVG Free (Anti-virus): http://free.avg.com/ww-en/homepage

Download, install. Update the virus detection files, then scan the system.
    Let it fix anything it finds.

If you are spamming, you might have a root-kit installed. Sophos AV have this: http://www.sophos.com/products/free-tools/sophos-anti-rootkit.html

GL, I'm off to the pub :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭unnameduser

Spear wrote: »
    Don't waste your money. The tools and know-how to sort your machine out are freely available on the web.

Yes free antivirus and antimalware software are freely available on the net. However if the computer is infected, it can be difficult to remove the infection and may require the assistance of an expert.

• Advertisement
Advertisement