Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Next Presidential Election

Options
  • 15-01-2010 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭

I was just doing some reading today when it ocurred to me that we'll be electing a new president next year. Now, granted, I know that the role of President is not that important but I was curious as to see who people would think of as a good candidate

Obviously not official but possible/probable candidates are listed here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Next_Irish_presidential_election#Likely_candidates

Personally from reading that list the first thing that struck me was "anything but Dana".

However, as the Job is all about being the "face" of Ireland I would probably vote for Norris as I like his character and attitude. :)

What about you guys, out of that list who would you vote for and if nobody on the list appeals to you, do you have any other suggestions for a president?

EDIT: Can I get a poll please? :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Dr. Baltar wrote: »
    I was just doing some reading today when it ocurred to me that we'll be electing a new president next year. Now, granted, I know that the role of President is not that important but I was curious as to see who people would think of as a good candidate

Obviously not official but possible/probable candidates are listed here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Next_Irish_presidential_election#Likely_candidates

Personally from reading that list the first thing that struck me was "anything but Dana".

However, as the Job is all about being the "face" of Ireland I would probably vote for Norris as I like his character and attitude. :)

What about you guys, out of that list who would you vote for and if nobody on the list appeals to you, do you have any other suggestions for a president?

EDIT: Can I get a poll please? :)

David Norris is the man for this Job.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Hear, hear. 100% agree.

Dana? No frickin' way. One step forwards, ten steps back!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

I just hope we get to vote this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,253 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

As much as I dislike some of the politics of his party, I think Michael D. would do a great job.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Sleepy wrote: »
    As much as I dislike some of the politics of his party, I think Michael D. would do a great job.

+1

Given the non-political role the President has I think he would be a great candidate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

I can see it now.

David Norris and Michael D splitting the left / liberal vote and Dana snatching victory out of nowhere.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭cm2000

Crowley would be in with a good shout. Having been in Europe all these years he will be somewhat insulated from the Fianna Fáil backlash. As well as this, people will be drawn to him for his life story, courage and general positive disposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Mary White announced her intention to run next year early last year in a bid to be the third Mary in a row to snaffle profiteroles, tote designer handbags abroad and haemorrhage cash.....

- This is worth a look, apparently she ran Lir Chocolates to provide local employment and drives a new Mercedes Benz Automobile reluctantly for its safety features.

Lets try and integrate the Fianna Fail ethos into every facet of our State - Shudder.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭View

I wonder will Bertie A go for it? He'd probably still poll strongly, altough I don't know if it would be a "shoe-in" for him anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

"Let's put the Queen back in the Aras!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭TobyZiegler

Think either David Norris or Michael D would do a fantastic job.

Both are well respected and likable with strong moral view points and despite being older than our last 2 presidents both are well able to connect with young people.

I would expect David Norris to get some headlines with his strong character and sense of humour.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

I could live with a President Crowley. Nice Guy and Seemingly honnest.

Norris and Higgins, No thanks.

Mairead McGuinness Would also be a great choice

Tbh, Norris lost my vote when he backed Cathal O'Searcaigh.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Tbh, Norris lost my vote when he backed Cathal O'Searcaigh.

wasn't pleased about that myself but overall i'd still like to see him as president

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭leincar

David Norris would get my vote. I would also through in another Mary as an Independent unless a party grabs her.

I would have a lot of respect and time for Mary Davis who was the CEO of Special Olympics Ireland and I believe is now head of the organisation for Europe and Asia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭j1smithy

Norris might run but its a certainty he won't win, he is far too liberal for rural Ireland. I'm guessing one of the campaign promises will be refusing/agreeing to sign legislation that has a social impact (gay marriage, abortion that kind of thing)

Ahern is too damaged to run now, so crowley will probably get the FF nomination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Alcatel

Norris would be a great man to represent the liberal, forward thinking Ireland of today. By which I mean, the forward thinking, liberal Ireland some of us would like ;) I doubt rural Ireland would vote for him.

A pity really. He's a strong man on topics like human rights, and the President is mainly a face for Ireland, and I think a Joycian scholar who has a sharp wit would make a good face.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Norris would be excellent. Also, we'd be the first country to have a homosexual president. Take that Obama.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

banquo wrote: »
    Norris would be excellent. Also, we'd be the first country to have a homosexual president. Take that Obama.
    I was going to point to Iceland, but she's the Prime Minister. You win this round... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Raiser wrote: »
    Mary White announced her intention to run next year early last year in a bid to be the third Mary in a row to snaffle profiteroles, tote designer handbags abroad and haemorrhage cash.....

- This is worth a look, apparently she ran Lir Chocolates to provide local employment and drives a new Mercedes Benz Automobile reluctantly for its safety features.

Lets try and integrate the Fianna Fail ethos into every facet of our State - Shudder.
    Mary White:D
    She said not so long ago that she'd been bullied by one of her party Oireachtas colleagues. Now could someone tell me how you could bully such a person as White.
    The mind boggles.

Michael D would be a good pres. Former Supreme Court judge Catherine McGuinness would be good as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37 sarahsulliva

But not Bertie!!! He hasn't even a hope of being nominated! He rode the wave and got us into all this ****!

A letter in the Times suggesting Martin McAleese today.

Tbh, he wouldn't be half bad - heard many good things about him and his work.

A letter in the Times suggesting Martin McAleese today.

Tbh, he wouldn't be half bad - heard many good things about him and his work.

I don't think so!

Michael D maybe, there is an MEP guy from Cork who is supposed to be putting himself forward. Think a relative of his was involved in an car accident there recently. It will be very interesting to see who the candidates will be.

Both last Presidents have come from Legal backgrounds, so that seems to be the trend...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

there is an MEP guy from Cork who is supposed to be putting himself forward. Think a relative of his was involved in an car accident there recently. It will be very interesting to see who the candidates will be.
    Brian Crowley is a Fianna Fáil MEP, he's 45, seems to have been around for 30-years. He was a Taoiseach's nominee to the Seanad by Albert. He said he'd see his mandate to the European Parliament through, during the euro elections last year. Politicians have been known to go back on their word.:rolleyes:
    He is unmarried;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭Laminations

I'd be happy with David Norris or Michael D. but I cant help thinking of the uncle from Whitnail and I when I see/hear Norris. I'd think I'd be quite happy with Shame Ross. He's a very honest man and very outspoken on corruption

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

j1smithy wrote: »
    Norris might run but its a certainty he won't win, he is far too liberal for rural Ireland. I'm guessing one of the campaign promises will be refusing/agreeing to sign legislation that has a social impact (gay marriage, abortion that kind of thing)
    The president doesn't get the option not to sign stuff. It's one of the things Dana plainly didn't get during the Late Late Show presidential debate back in 1997. Mind you Gay Byrne didn't appear to get that either as he asked the question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

In a recent interview Mary Hanifin openly invited Fiona O Malley to return and join FF. This was quite strange as O Malley is Dl/Rathdown, and with roughly 4,000 votes in her backpocket, she could pick up Hanifin's surplus, and would offer FF a slight hope of sneaking the "long gone" second seat.

The reason this interested me is due to the clear detriment that this would have on Hanifin's chance at a seat there. The last thing that she needs is a split vote between the second FF and the ex PD candidate.

Unless O Malley isparachuted into Dublin Mid West, I believe Hanifin would see O Malley as a potential successor, after she vacates the Dail in 2011. I believe she seeks Presidency. Her stock fell under BIFFO, and no reshuffle will benefit her. Fourteen years in the Park will take her up to 2025, and the age of 65. She doesnt have a family to take care of, (naturally one would greatly sympathise with her on the death of her husband), and will have plenty of time to travel the country to meet the people. She is presentable, she is female (which can be very useful), and her demotion has prevented her from taking up too much slack for sitting at the cabinet table between the worst years of excess (2004-2007). I think she would be a reasonably stong candidate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

I'd vote for David Norris.

Advertisement