Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Next Presidential Election

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

ffs man, must you try and turn every thread into a Bertie Ahern bashing one?

Maybe it's because people like you drag that gombeen into threads in the first place ?
    I may be at the otherside of the world but i am well aware of how bertie has been blamed for bringing down ireland! I do agree he may have made some wrong decisions but it is on record in the dail the opposition parties regularly complained he was not spending enough! Also he is innocent until proven guilty he has not been proven guilty in a court of law and the media have no right to judge anyone! Dont get me wrong i do agree he may have spent money better but he is not all to blame and no leader of any country saw the financial crisis coming! All i was trying to say was if elected bertie could do alot to right some of his wrongs he commited while in power......... He could help rebuild our country through his reputation abroad!

Please stay in Oz, we have delusional voters here at present.

You sir/madam/miss/ms provide the best reason why we should not give votes to Irish people no longer living here.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭wicklowwonder

You sir/madam/miss/ms provide the best reason why we should not give votes to Irish people no longer living here.[/QUOTE]

its sir! I do not believe that issue should be discussed on this topic but dont worry il be home for the next election! The debate is who will be next president feel free to set up a topic to discuss the oversea vote and we can debate that their, also I do feel this bertie bashing has gone a little to far we have discussed his attributes now what about other potential candidates like the sein fein candidate? Or will any other party put forward a candidate? I would be interested in peoples opinions on there issues also! Also apologies about spelling mistakes etc i am on my mobile phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Well if Norris was ever elected President that is the day I would leave Ireland. There is no place for his type in the Áras. I can picture the scene on the lawns with men tripping around the grounds in pink tutu's and magic wands. Ireland would be the laughing stock of the world. I despise Ahearne and FF but would select him over Norris. Michael D is my choice

Wow. A post that I can reply to using many of the available emoticons

:eek:
    :rolleyes:
    :o
    :mad:
    :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭hallelujajordan

Well as Bertie is the most dishonest politician (pending tribunal findings) we have, why should he be nominated? Certain buiLders could abuse and be cleared because of connections with the Áras ,it woiuld be a free for all again.

I love that . . You declare him as being the most dishonest politician we have but then add the pending tribunal findings bit in parentheses like its a minor thing . . Yes, the right to presumed innocence is a minor issue !
    jmayo wrote:
    You sir/madam/miss/ms provide the best reason why we should not give votes to Irish people no longer living here.

The reason being that he doesn't agree with you ? There are plenty of people resident in Ireland who vote FF and would vote for Bertie Aherne in a presidential election . . should they be disentitled to a vote as well ? Seriously, the arrogance of some of the anti-FF people on here is astounding. You know you can accept and respect someones opinion while still fundamentally disagreeing with it !

Personally, although I doubt he wil run at this stage . . I agree with a previous poster who spoke of Bertie Ahernes international reputation. He is well known around the world for his work in securing peace in Northern Ireland and for his enormous contributions to the European project during his time in office. . . For this reason and because the role really is an outward facing one, I would like to see him in the Aras . . . however, I do believe that any questions hanging over him from the planning tribunal need to be answered before he can run for the highest office in the land.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Red_Marauder

Well if Norris was ever elected President that is the day I would leave Ireland. There is no place for his type in the Áras. I can picture the scene on the lawns with men tripping around the grounds in pink tutu's and magic wands. Ireland would be the laughing stock of the world. I despise Ahearne and FF but would select him over Norris. Michael D is my choice
    I really did laugh out loud when I read this. The irony of it.

If Michael D got elected to the the office of Uachtarán , men tripping around on the lawns of the Aras in tutus and magic wands is exactly what I could picture. His lovely wife Sabina would probably be throwing confetti and Michael D himself sauntering around in a ceremonial gown with a high knee action. The Aras would become an overnight theatre.
    Norris would be positively dull!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭itsonlywords

I really did laugh out loud when I read this. The irony of it.

If Michael D got elected to the the office of Uachtarán , men tripping around on the lawns of the Aras in tutus and magic wands is exactly what I could picture. His lovely wife Sabina would probably be throwing confetti and Michael D himself sauntering around in a ceremonial gown with a high knee action. The Aras would become an overnight theatre.
    Norris would be positively dull!
    Michael D is a normal herorsexual in a normal relationship and is a cultured man. I am sure that fairies in tutus is not his interest. I always considered him normal

dvpower wrote: »
    Wow. A post that I can reply to using many of the available emoticons

:eek:
    :rolleyes:
    :o
    :mad:
    :confused:
    What wiuoll we call Norrises partner then?

Michael D is a normal herorsexual in a normal relationship and is a cultured man. I am sure that fairies in tutus is not his interest. I always considered him normal
    I know he is heterosexual, why do you think I referred to his lovely wife?

Being straight doesn't mean you don't like theatricality or people prancing about in tutus and throwing confetti... personally I think that sounds hilarious, maybe that's just me.

He isn't gay, I'm just saying I find it bizarre the fact that you're so immune to his theatricality and find his camp humour so acceptible, but not the same thing in Norris.

I know he is heterosexual, why do you think I referred to his lovely wife?

Being straight doesn't mean you don't like theatricality or people prancing about in tutus and throwing confetti... personally I think that sounds hilarious, maybe that's just me.

He isn't gay, I'm just saying I find it bizarre the fact that you're so immune to his theatricality and find his camp humour so acceptible, but not the same thing in Norris.
    I suppose that Norris just worries me. As I dislike homosexuals, I have a natural aversion to them. That is why I wouold not want to see one in our presidentail palace., I suppose palace=queen????

I love that . . You declare him as being the most dishonest politician we have but then add the pending tribunal findings bit in parentheses like its a minor thing . . Yes, the right to presumed innocence is a minor issue !

The reason being that he doesn't agree with you ? There are plenty of people resident in Ireland who vote FF and would vote for Bertie Aherne in a presidential election . . should they be disentitled to a vote as well ? Seriously, the arrogance of some of the anti-FF people on here is astounding. You know you can accept and respect someones opinion while still fundamentally disagreeing with it !

Personally, although I doubt he wil run at this stage . . I agree with a previous poster who spoke of Bertie Ahernes international reputation. He is well known around the world for his work in securing peace in Northern Ireland and for his enormous contributions to the European project during his time in office. . . For this reason and because the role really is an outward facing one, I would like to see him in the Aras . . . however, I do believe that any questions hanging over him from the planning tribunal need to be answered before he can run for the highest office in the land.

thank you in a paragraph you summed up my whole train of though a lot better than i could! I can guarantee you ahern will not run unless he is certain he will win. He has the best political team around him and they will know if he has the numbers so dont worry you probably wont see him on your ballot paper. In my original post i also alluded to the fact that other political parties would not put forward candidates due to financal cost and also that it could be a race between gerry adams and a ff candidate but noone seems to have opinions on this they all just jump into bertie bashing mode!

• Advertisement

I suppose that Norris just worries me. As I dislike homosexuals, I have a natural aversion to them. That is why I wouold not want to see one in our presidentail palace., I suppose palace=queen????

I'd much prefer a homosexual as President than a homophobe.

Why is been gay such an issue in our country? If a man is gay or not doesnt matter if he can do a better job than his opponents. I feel people who bring this sort of attitude to a debate like this should be banned from the debate. Your choice of partner does not hinder you competency to complete your job. I would be more worried about norris desire to rejoing the commonwealth. If he did become president however it would show the world we are ready for change the 1st gay president ever i believe......

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

its sir! I do not believe that issue should be discussed on this topic but dont worry il be home for the next election! The debate is who will be next president feel free to set up a topic to discuss the oversea vote and we can debate that their, also I do feel this bertie bashing has gone a little to far we have discussed his attributes now what about other potential candidates like the sein fein candidate? Or will any other party put forward a candidate? I would be interested in peoples opinions on there issues also! Also apologies about spelling mistakes etc i am on my mobile phone.

Why has it gone a little too far, after all his governments are probably going to live us taxpayers (which you aren't one at the moment I presume) with a bill of maybe 30-40 billion looking at some of the suppsoed current NAMA valuations.

So because he has lots of dodgy questions relating to his personal affairs, his business affairs and his piublic affairs we should all move along.

Yes there are enough people (having mod warning from before I will not state my true opinion of these) who would still vote for a man like ahern.
    I don't want to see any more of them arriving back to guarantee him even more of my tax money.

Can I ask you to answer couple of questions ?
    How was his minister of finance salary paid, did he receive it in cash or did he get the local in drumcondra to cash the cheque ?
    Afteral the man didn't have a bank account.
    Howe did he pay for things, was it pure cash or did his friedns always dig him out ?
    Do you realise how farical it sounds that the minister of finance in a western country/democracy did not have a bank account ?

Almost sounds like Queen of England scenario.

Even the corrupt half educated dictators in deepest Africa had bank accounts and thousands of them at that.

Why should I respect people who would still vote in a shyster and sleeveen like ahern ?
    Why should I respect anyone that still luads and backs a man whose actions will probably result in hardship and possible emigration for my family.
    His backers and supporters are as abhorent to me as the man himself.
    This man could not exist in public life without his supporters and I actually see their continued support for the man as support for his incompetence, greed, low ethical standards, disregard for decent honest citizens and as a green light for the people that would destroy Ireland for their own benefit.

They see nothing wrong with backing a man that helped his friends and backers get rich, but leave the fallout to be faced by the ordinary people for generations.

It is one thing to have been a supporter of this man at one time, but it is quiet another thing to actually now still make excuses and gloss over the shenangins carried out by ahern and his cronies at the top of that party.
    Don't forget we are where we are today by their decisions.

Anyway you are ffer and IMHO like a hell of a lot more of them all that matters is the party and screw everyone else :rolleyes:

I am not allowed discuss …

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Bigdeadlydave

Norris- Not gonna happen, sad thought it may be, because of his lifestyle. A gay president? Who is a protestant? Despite all his good work I don't think the Ireland of today is liberal/open minded enough to vote for him.
    Gerry Adams-too controversial though maybe a dark horse candidate if he goes for it. My vote would go to him.
    I think its going to end up being Bertie.
    But please not Dana.

I suppose that Norris just worries me. As I dislike homosexuals
    That's fine, I like your honesty. As a fellow non gay however, I can confide in you that I think you're safe.

I saw Norris in town with a rather delicious exotic looking type some time back who I'm told is his gentleman friend. I don't think we have anything to worry about.
    , I have a natural aversion to them. That is why I wouold not want to see one in our presidentail palace., I suppose palace=queen????
    Personally, i don't like the idea of this state having a presidential palace.
    However, I take a different line to you on it. If we must have such a theatrical role made up of pomp and ceremony, at least let us give it so someone with pomp and ceremony. Michael D would be my man of choice, as it happens, but Norris would be just as effective.

The whole office is just pantomime anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,253 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Could Shane Ross be convinced to run or will he be contesting a Dail seat at the next election?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭hallelujajordan

In my original post i also alluded to the fact that other political parties would not put forward candidates due to financal cost and also that it could be a race between gerry adams and a ff candidate but noone seems to have opinions on this they all just jump into bertie bashing mode!

Welcome to the 'Politics' forum . . :D . . Don't mention the Aherne name without expecting a rant or two. .

It's a good point that you make . . the reality is that there are usually only 2, sometimes 3 candidates for a presidential election . Which way would the anti-FF brigade vote if it were a straight shoot-out between Adams and Aherne ?

Paddy Power has Brian Crowley as favourite, followed by Bertie. Of the other candidates mentioned in this thread, Adams and Norris are at 33:1 and Michael D is at 25:1
    Brian Crowley: 9/4
    Bertie Ahern: 4/1
    Mairead McGuinness: 6/1
    John Bruton : 8/1
    Mary O’Rourke: 12/1

Firstly my tax situation is none of your business but if you must know i still am paying tax to our government through renting out a house and holding a bank account and numerous other ways. Numerous people in ireland didnt have accounts no laws broken there. Its not against the law to carry cash. Ahern did explain to the best of his abilities the cash if the tribunal or a court of law proves otherwise i will be the first man to condone him trust me. Secondly ahern was not leader of the country when nama was introduced but you make feel annoyed and rightly so but you can not blame one man for the ills of this country! Do you feel he has ever done anything good? As far as going to far this is a debate about presidental election and you have turned it into your own personal "i hate bertie" thread. More candidates mentioned move on set up a thread about slaging ahern and you can continue your bashing there while we continue with the debate this thread was set up to talk about.

Do you feel he has ever done anything good?
    Well even Haughey helped established the IFSC but doing 'something good' doesn't account for much when you've completely blackened your own reputation in other respects.

• Advertisement

Welcome to the 'Politics' forum . . :D . . Don't mention the Aherne name without expecting a rant or two. .

It's a good point that you make . . the reality is that there are usually only 2, sometimes 3 candidates for a presidential election . Which way would the anti-FF brigade vote if it were a straight shoot-out between Adams and Aherne ?

thanks for the welcome only getting back into boards.ie after my addiction to it a few years ago in my college days. Its great for the long bus trips and days on the beach in oz on my mobile.... I still feel however fine gael wont run a candidate fianna fail will hope for a all party candidate but sinn fein would love to hijack the 2016 celebrations and i would be afraid they will if this attitude continues. We have already lost the IRA name to an illegal terrorist movement, sinn fein today does not share any morals or even dare i say goals as the sinn fein that democratically tried to ensure our freedom from british rule, i feel we cant let someone like gerry adams lead us in remembering and celebrating the heros that laid the corner stone for our republic we also cant let a man like norris in who supports going back to swearing to a queen in a foreign land!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,253 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Adams or Aherne?

If it comes down to a two horse race between those two, you might not be the only one in Brisbane wicklowwonder... though I'll be doing my best to pass myself off as a pom. :p

One thing that just hit me..... We are debating names here but what about the attributes of the ideal candidate? Now adays there is more bills and laws been passed than ever before. Our last two presidents sent more bills to the supreme court to see did they contradict our constitution, both ladys very well educated, law experts. Would bertie, crowley, or adams or any name mentioned here today instill the confidence in you that our constitution will be upheld and protected by our president? Just a thought......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Shea O'Meara

It's pretty much an ambassador position.
    They should put forward some randomer.....if they insist on having a President.

Bertie, won't happen, won't run. He knows he was lucky to get away, I can't see him returning to the scene of the crime.

Sleepy wrote: »
    Adams or Aherne?

If it comes down to a two horse race between those two, you might not be the only one in Brisbane wicklowwonder... though I'll be doing my best to pass myself off as a pom. :p

if there is anything worse than those black and tans its them poms... Gets the english everytime! Ha ha! If it does come down to adams and anyone i will be home canvassing supporting doing anything i can to ensure that man does not get into our highest office. I will get backing from 5 county councils myself by singing all kinds of everything if i have to!!!

i feel we cant let someone like gerry adams lead us in remembering and celebrating the heros that laid the corner stone for our republic we also cant let a man like norris in who supports going back to swearing to a queen in a foreign land!
    Gerry Adams certainly doesn't celebrate the people who turned this country into a republic. It wasn't so long ago his party didn't even legally recognise this republic.
    Why do you say Norris supports an oath to the Queen? He might have floated the idea of joining the commonwealth for trade purposes, but parliamentary oaths aren't necessary for that.

Gerry Adams certainly doesn't celebrate the people who turned this country into a republic. It wasn't so long ago his party didn't even legally recognise this republic.
    Why do you say Norris supports an oath to the Queen? He might have floated the idea of joining the commonwealth for trade purposes, but parliamentary oaths aren't necessary for that.

joining the commonwealth would do us no good other than give our athletes another international competition to compete in!! The eu is our trading bloc. The queen in the figure head of the commonwealth the queen is head of state of the majority if not all of the commonwealth countries once fiji got thrown out..... Truthfully i am not sure of the ins and outs and oaths required to join, what i do know is the eu will be alot more benefit and offer us a bigger and richer market than the commonwealth!

Also just to clarify sinn fein join in (try to hijack) the rememberance of 1916 every year. These men who died didnt set up the republic but they laid the corner stone. Without them we probably still have the queens mug on our coins

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭Laminations

Well even Haughey helped established the IFSC but doing 'something good' doesn't account for much when you've completely blackened your own reputation in other respects.

Ah but don't you see (as I've mentioned in other threads) I think you'll find Bertie supporters tend to focus on the lovely bread in a sh!t sandwich. They can't see a tipping point where the bad things greatly outweigh any good. Whatever about the findings of the tribunal, his behaviour at the tribunal i.e. his asinine excuses like 'winning money on the horses' and his selective memory loss show up his gutter character.

As for the president issue, Shane Ross would be an excellent candidate and its a terrible state of affairs when homophobes are not given warnings on here for their bile.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭Laminations

Our last two presidents sent more bills to the supreme court to see did they contradict our constitution, both ladys very well educated, law experts. Would bertie, crowley, or adams or any name mentioned here today instill the confidence in you that our constitution will be upheld and protected by our president? Just a thought......

Well Bertie was educated in the London School of Economics..... oh wait

Advertisement