Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom adsl+2

• 15-01-2010 1:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭

Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 8128 800
    SN Margin (dB) 11.50 8.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 5.50 5.00
    CRC Errors 62 7

Hey guys i was just wondering with this information can i handle adsl+2.

It's said my exchange couldn't handle it but i am only a 100 yards away form it.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,432 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

SN Margin (dB) 11.50 8.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 5.50 5.00
    CRC Errors 62 7

Hey guys i was just wondering with this information can i handle adsl+2.

It's said my exchange couldn't handle it but i am only a 100 yards away form it.

Bit of a weird line. The attenuation is probably the lowest I've ever seen, yet the SNR is low in that context and there's line errors occuring when they're really shouldn't be. With that attenuation level you'd probably get the full 24 megs off an ADSL2 line, but the low SNR and noise would mean very frequent disconnects. Is your house wiring very old or are there other phone devices plugged in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Maskedgameguru

There phone plug in yes it's a old house.

Whats the best thing to do.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

They look like great stats, 20mbit grade but the crcs could be a cheap router overloading itself.

WTF is this 8128 down speed , possibly a theoretical max for ADSL1 but odd that it is reported unless eircom are synching at the max nowadays ( irrespective of port speed) like Smart do??

SN Margin (dB) 20.00 9.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 6.00 5.00
    CRC Errors

dsl flitter at fault.

• Advertisement

Downstream Upstream
    CRC Errors 0 2

Lol i rang eircom they said very helpful that my line is very good but it's the exchange that needs to change to adsl+2 lol he said i would get 24mbit no promblem.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,432 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Downstream Upstream
    CRC Errors 0 2

Lol i rang eircom they said very helpful that my line is very good but it's the exchange that needs to change to adsl+2 lol he said i would get 24mbit no promblem.

Eircom are still rolling out their ADSL2+ equipment. Smart/Magnet/Vodafone(was BT) may have ADSL2 equipment there.

Thats true my dad wants to stay with eircom dunno y but he does.

WTF is going on with the 8128 synch, anybody ??

Sponge Bob wrote: »

Could the router simply be being pedantic and the sync rate is different from the max possible rate? (I don't know Netopias that well).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Sponge Bob wrote: »

http://business.eircom.net/broadband/moreinfo/?package=busStarter

He could be on that package or he could be in one of Eircoms trial areas?

Sorry forgot to mention it it's 8mb business package as you pointed out well.

ahhhhh , when did that package go to 8mbits ??

Am i dunno 2 months ago i think.
    If your on the 7.6mb line just ask for 8mb and it they give you it for free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭recycler1

Whats the best thing to do.

Check that you have filters in each phone socket.
    If your home wiring was not done by eircom its possible that the wrong type of cable, e.g. alarm cable, was used. This would give the type of stats you posted - very low loss, but a lot of noise.

BT have a "Broadband Accelerator" which fixes problems associated with poor wiring. However, this only works with UK sockets and I am not aware of an eircom equivalent.

Advertisement