Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Criminal Assets Bureau? Has the Dog any teeth?

Options
  • 15-01-2010 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what the general perception is on the CAB?

How hard is it to ask Scum to furnish proof of a legitimate income and then subsequently drive away in his bullet-proofed BMW X5?

As you sit there reading this can you afford 3 houses in the Countryside, 2 SUVs and a lifestyle from MTV Cribs without ever working an honest day in your life? If this was you then wouldn't you imagine that it would be hard to explain?

- Its slightly hard to reason out the arguments when you'd be nervous driving around this Country with your Car tax a week out of date.....

Is the CAB yet another example of a grossly under-performing display of Irish kicked-back, half-ársed cronyism?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,253 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Don't ask me where I got the perception from but I thought CAB had a pretty good track record? I know it's been copied in other states.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/cab-freezes-15m-worth-of-crime-assets-440127.html
    30/12/2009 - 14:10:35
    Suspected gangsters had assets worth almost €15m frozen or seized by investigators last year, it was revealed today.

The Criminal Assets Bureau (CAB) said it obtained interim and final restraint orders to the value of more than €7.5m.

Another €6m was collected in taxes and interest while investigations led to social welfare savings and recoveries of more than one million euro.

Justice Minister Dermot Ahern said the figures showed the agency played a significant role in the fight against organised crime.

“In a year where organised crime continued to pose a serious threat to our communities, the Criminal Assets Bureau has again demonstrated the effectiveness of the multi-agency and partnership approach in targeting the proceeds of such criminal conduct,” he said.

Mr Ahern said CAB was continuing to target up-and-coming and mid-ranking criminals.

It was also working in close co-operation with international law enforcement agencies, he said.

The latest recoveries bring to €114m the value of assets frozen and seized since CAB was set up in 1996, in the wake of the gangland murder of journalist Veronica Guerin.

I have to concur with Sleepy on this,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

Raiser wrote: »
    Is the CAB yet another example of a grossly under-performing display of Irish kicked-back, half-ársed cronyism?

On the contrary, its probably one of the success stories in the battle against organised crime in this country.

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Its proved very useful in breaking up the monetary funds of certain gang organisations and recuperating lost revenue from a number of white coller streams.

Side note: Some folk (not necessarily here) are under the illusion that they are supposed to be operating on a personal profit/loss system. In other words, if it costs them 10 million to investigate a certain person/organisation, they should be at least eventually regaining that cost at least.
    While that would be nice in all honesty, the weight of costs should not influence whom or what should be investigated. Crime is crime and not something one should decide about according to profit margins and spreadsheet balances.

There are other organisations admittedly in this country that need stronger "teeth" such as the banking sector regulators (that is clearly obvious as of late) and other (forgotten by some at the mo') consumer organisations that are allowed to have as much bite was a weak poodle.

The CAB might not be perfect, what is? But by god, the country is definitely a lot better off for having it and its un-named great personnel than without it.
    No if's or buts.

I'm very grateful for the work that they do. We all should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

The CAB has a very good record, but it has to be remembered that they are basically seizing a huge chunk of someone's property, without that person having being convicted of anything.
    I'm happy for them to proceed carefully.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

Sleepy wrote: »
    Don't ask me where I got the perception from but I thought CAB had a pretty good track record? I know it's been copied in other states.
    States?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭Laminations

I agree with most of the posters that CAB have teeth and are using them with some success but I think the OP is wondering why their teeth aren't bigger. To give an example i could go to the ballymun flats and seize at least have a dozen high performance cars from people i know do not work. Seventeen and eighteen year olds driving mercs. The petty dealers need to be dealt with too and with great expediency

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

digme wrote: »
    States?

Yes, states.
    America's use of the word makes it messy, but states can refer to any other country with an official government.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Thanks for all the replies & especially to Laminations for being so perceptive.

I was told recently that St. Mary's Park in Limerick, known locally as the Island Field, one of Limericks designated regeneration areas, is in parts gone all 90210 but without a 39 hour week in sight.....

- If a 6 year old can spot it and its impossible to deny it then why is it happening unchecked? If the answer is given as resources and workload I'd be cynical because to be honest its as plain as day in a lot of cases, queue the bureaucracy and get it done (?)

Does anyone know if CAB ever takes an interest in Travellers and their Volvos, Golf GTIs and SUVs?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

I think it's fair to say that it's a successful state agency - so much so that it's served as an example of how to do things for many other jurisdictions, from memory. Set up by the rainbow government of FG, Labour and DL. But sure what did the Romans ever do for us? Wouldn't they all just be the same in power? Bless the hard of thinking.
    digme wrote: »
    States?

Let me refer you to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nation_state.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Does anyone know if CAB ever takes an interest in Travellers and their Volvos, Golf GTIs and SUVs?

http://www.independent.ie/national-n...h-2007213.html

As the above Indo piece shows,the CAB are indeed active in investigating ill gotten assests wherever they lie.

However the very term "Traveller" goes to explain the extra difficulty an investigative agency will encounter in their work when confronted with an officially countenanced lifestyle based upon having No Fixed Abode.

Anothe major unforseen problem for the CAB is the collapse in Irish Property values.
    This has left the agency with a fairly large tranche of Bricks and Mortar for which there is little market,thereby leaving it with a form of "Negative Equity" to contend with.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

Advertisement