Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Canon 500d - which lens to buy??

• 15-01-2010 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Hi folks

I'm new to photography, have just done a short course and am trying to get more into it. Buying my first slr and after looking through loads of websites think I've decided on buying a canon 500d.

Is it better to buy 18-55 lens & 55-250 or just buy camera with 18-200. Would have thought 18-200 would be better, save having to have 2 separate lenses but was told by sales person in camera shop better to buy 2 lenses, obviously in his interest for me to buy both seperately so not sure whether he's been genuine or not..

Also as I'm trying to keep price down as much as I can and have seen a bundle reasonably priced (camera, 18-55 lens, tamron 70-300 lens, 8gb, 2 filters). I've done some research on using this lens with a canon and 2 people have had problems after taking 200 pics they have to turn camera off & on between each pic:-( Anyone else had this problem or are there other lens' cheaper than canon that suit this camera or am I better off sticking with canon lenses??

Finally think I've looked at every site but if anyone has bought this particular camera or lenses at a good price could they send me link.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭shazza07

One more question sorry,, but is the rebel T1i the same as the 500d

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭Diabhal_Glas

shazza07 wrote: »
    One more question sorry,, but is the rebel T1i the same as the 500d

As far as I know its the USA version.

The lens that covers 18-200 wont have great quality as it covers such a great focal range.

I'd got for a good quality used version of the Canon 17-85 I.S, but Ive heard reports that its not great at wide angles. That was the lens I got with my first DSLR 4 years ago and I was very happy with it as a beginner.

I dont know a lot about the 18-55 I.S but you could also go for just this lens, and save for better lenses. If you are just a beginner maybe just focus on learning how to use the camera with this lens.

The 50mm F/1.8 is an amazing little lens for about 100 euro new

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Ettna

I was driving past a small cottage in the Kilmainham area recently and happened to have camera in car and there was actually a parking space nearby so got out but the 50 - 250 is lens on camera was not wide angle enough to get it all in so quick change to 18-200 is which was in bag and got the picture I wanted. Both of these lenses take good quality shots but if you are only getting one get the 18-200 is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Get the 18-200.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭shazza07

Thanks guys
    If you are just a beginner maybe just focus on learning how to use the camera with this lens.

I think your right
    The 50mm F/1.8 is an amazing little lens for about 100 euro new

Do you think I'd be better to buy body with 18-55 & 50mm f1/8 or are these lenses similar and if so, to just buy body with 50mm f1/8
    Ettna wrote: »
    if you are only getting one get the 18-200 is.
    Rb wrote: »
    Get the 18-200.

Would love to get this lens but are alot dearer than I thought, wouldn't have the funds at the moment, am hoping to buy this lens at a later stage.

Thanks again for all your help

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

OP, I've dropped you a pm as I've a few of the lenses you're interested in and will be selling them very shortly as I'm off to NY on Saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Fionn

for starting off get the 18-200, it's a f3.5 - 5.6 which means it'll need plenty of light to get acceptable photographs although the Image Stabilisation will afford at least two stops. It's got great range to deal with nearly every opportunity that'd present itself.

If you can get a 50mm f1/8 as well - this is a good low light lens, the zoom is fixed, which means you have to zoom using your feet :) if you dont like/use it it's easy to sell on!
    just in case you haven't see it www.the digital picture.com is pretty good for reviews (mostly Conaon stuff)
    :)

Advertisement