Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just getting in

Options
  • 15-01-2010 2:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭

Hey,

Been readin some books, just getting into all this stuff really.

Big Bang theory... nonsense as far as i can tell.

We're constantly reminded how small we are, so how can we possible begin to think just because of the movement we see from our platform (or even a remote platform that we send out) that we know the everything came from nothing? the "expansion" we see from here migh just be a tiny movement in a tiny part of something on a much greater scale.

Everything we can observe however vast it may seem (billions of galaxies) might all be part of just 1 larger galaxy (if viewed from a distance).

i dont think there's any possible way for scientists to come to the correct conclusion. at some point (such as when the big bang theory was created) we have to realise that even 110 lighyears is to far a distance for 1 person to fathom, so how can we begin to think we know whats happening or what happened billions of lightyears away.

I keep reading "the universe is made up of 100 billion galaxies, each galaxy is made up of 100 billion stars"... who the hell counted all these? it's lies obviously. Scientists i think like to use scary numbers so people wont question them.

We're too small to know what happened, and whats happening...
    i think there's nothing happening, just movement.

i dont think time exists at all. We think we can guage time, because things go through their cycles (life, planets, stars) but isn't really what happens just the fact that our atmosphere eats our bodies, and in the case of stars burning out, they just eat their own bodies?

although i know im wrong, i mean, i still dont really understand about light having a speed :P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭djhaxman

You're on the wind up, yeah? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Breaktown

You don't know what the speed of light is yet you can safely say that the big bang is nonsense?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Everything must have a speed. The most common everyday example of light and speed is thunder and lightening. You see the light first of lightening, but you might hear the thunder a second after. Light has a greater speed than sound, light has speed.
    Signals also show light has speed. It takes around 8 minutes for a signal to reach Mars (signals are essentially light and travel at that speed).

TBH, if you don't believe light has speed, then you're going to find alot of space exploration discoveries (like the age of the universe) moot tbh. But it's always good to see people questioning things (to a point anyway, as long as it's not obvious trolling or something). 1000 years ago common knowledge was world was flat!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

you talk about lightyears yet you dont understand/get why light has a speed! lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭rccaulfield

Scientists dont just make figures up. Theres mathmetical formulas to calculate the population of stars per locale this can then be applied to bigger spaces. You do know this is a public forum yea?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

oceansize wrote: »
    ...I keep reading "the universe is made up of 100 billion galaxies, each galaxy is made up of 100 billion stars"... who the hell counted all these? it's lies obviously...

Ok, if it's lies, then you must have factual evidence to prove this, which means that someone (you?) has counted all the galaxies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

jumpguy wrote: »
    ...It takes around 8 minutes for a signal to reach Mars (signals are essentially light and travel at that speed)...

Not quite true. The distance between earth and mars varies between approx 36 million miles and 250 million miles (depending on where each is on it's orbit around the sun.) Given a speed of light of 670,616,629 mph, this means a journey time of between 3 mins and 22.5 mins.

It takes light approximately 8 mins to reach us from the sun. So in actual fact, if you look at the sun (not advisable), you are seeing it not as it is now, but in fact as it was 8 mins ago. In fact, as you look into space, you are looking back in time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

If you can prove it, go join an astrophysics department of any university you wish.

-Nigel

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

The OP got a bit of a hard time but I think he made some decent points!

Ps, lighten up folks(pun intended), I think the light speed thing was a joke!:rolleyes:

Advertisement