Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spare Key - Focus

• 15-01-2010 2:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭

Hi,

My brother lost his key & couldn't get into his car. Said the central locking was acting up recently, just locking itself all of a sudden when he'd be driving. So he was convinced he left the keys in the car & then it locked itself.

He got a spare key this morning in a Ford main dealer that allows him to open the doors, but not start the engine. Turns out the keys weren't in it! So they're lost.

The garage said they need the car left in so they can program a new one, and are quoting €200.

I've 2 questions:

1. Is the quote a bit steep?
    2. Why do they need the car? I'm sure I heard before that they can get a new key made once they have the reg / chassis number etc. .... or is this only the case with 'luxury' cars?

Thanks, in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Had to get this done on a Mondeo before, €200 is right. Key costs 120, and 1 hour labour to re-programme the key. This will mean that if the old keys are found, they will not stsart the car, but will still unlock it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

Had to get this done on a Mondeo before, €200 is right. Key costs 120, and 1 hour labour to re-programme the key. This will mean that if the old keys are found, they will not stsart the car, but will still unlock it.

Cheers, but do they actually need the car left in, or can they make a new one once they have the car's details? If they need the car being left in that means me having to give him a tow!!

betafrog wrote: »
    I think you'll find the programming works the other way round. ie the car is programmed to work with the keys and not the other way round.

So you're saying they do need the car.

So am I imaging hearing before that someone got locked out of their car (I think it was some high end BMW) and they were able to get a new key sent to them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

RE: The car locking itself when driving, I dont think this has anything to do with the keys being lost. Mine is doing this at the moment. He should probably get that looked at too.

Dancor wrote: »
    RE: The car locking itself when driving, I dont think this has anything to do with the keys being lost. Mine is doing this at the moment. He should probably get that looked at too.

Yeah I know, its just that when he lost the key, he thought he'd left them in the car.

Then with the car's central locking acting up thought that it had locked itself with the keys still inside!

• Advertisement
Advertisement