Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog wants to be walked even though it's raining.

Options
  • 15-01-2010 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭

Pighead had a day off work yesterday and accordingly he awoke at noon after a very satisfying slumber. Looked outside and seen it was bucketing down which was fine as a lazy day was on the cards anyway.

Got down to the kitchen and the dog was there looking up at Pighead expectantly.
    He starts whimpering and grabs a hold of his lead. Tried to tell him he was out of luck: “not today Jacko, its raining”. The dog responded by doing that bottom fat lipped sulky thing that kids usually do and then he plops on the floor with the mother of all sighs

Do all dogs behave like this? Pighead used to have a cat and she never made such ridiculous demands.

Is it right for a dog to expect to have a walk when its raining outside?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Its only rain, it wont kill you or your dog, so get your wet gear and wellies on and get out there. Dogs dont mind the rain, some even like it.

What happens if it rains solid for a few weeks, and in ireland that will most likely happen, are you just not going to walk the dog because you might get wet?

Dogs need to be walked in rain, hail or shine, so you need to be prepared for that. If you dont walk your dog regularly, be ready for your dog to become very bored and then destructive. A tired, well walked dog is a happy quiet one.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Ah Pighead what has ye venturing over to this neck of the woods eh?Im afraid your "humour" might be lost on some im afraid :D

To answer your question...yeh its normal...so buy a rain coat and get out there and get wet with him.They need to be walked regardless of the weather...dogs love walkin in the rain. Its the equivalent to your midday lie in for them...bliss!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Do you like to watch TV, listen to music, talk on the phone, read the paper, use your computer or other interesting things?
    For a dog going for a walk is as good as all that together. Smells the news on the street, see's and hears whats going on, gets exercise and leaves messages for other dogs.
    He has a fur coat, pretty water resistant to so why would he care if it's raining?
    Not wrong for him to ask you to put on a coat, and bring him for a 10 minute walk. Just think of all that unconditional love he gives you.
    The only time my dogs don't ask to go walking is when I'm sick, then they curl up beside me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

anniehoo wrote: »
    Ah Pighead what has ye venturing over to this neck of the woods eh?Im afraid your "humour" might be lost on some im afraid :D

To answer your question...yeh its normal...so buy a rain coat and get out there and get wet with him.They need to be walked regardless of the weather...dogs love walkin in the rain. Its the equivalent to your midday lie in for them...bliss!
    Thanks anniehoo. Pighead just wanted to get it straight in his head if it was ok to take a dog out in the cold wet rain.

Aren't they more likely to suffer from colds, flu and runnny noses? Pigehad used to have a Pomeranian dog and he absolutely detested the rain. Used to drag his little furry heels and beg not to be taken out. Pighead has no problem going out in the cold wet rain as he has wellies, a mac and a rain hat but Jacko has none of these things. Not sure what to do to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Well then if ye have all the gear...dont leave him all by himself, lead in mouth sighing by the door. He'll be grand. Towel him off thoroughly when you get back. He'll love you forever...more than he does now if thats possible :D cos mine used to love the drying off bit equally as much as the walk.

• Advertisement

Pighead wrote: »
    Thanks anniehoo. They're a hostile distrusting bunch over here by the looks of things. Pighead just wanted to get it straight in his head if it was ok to take a dog out in the cold wet rain.

Aren't they more likely to suffer from colds, flu and runnny noses? Pigehad used to have a Pomeranian dog and he absolutely detested the rain. Used to drag his little furry heels and beg not to be taken out. Pighead has no problem going out in the cold wet rain as he has wellies, a mac and a rain hat but Jacko has none of these things. Not sure what to do to be honest.

Nope, not at all. Dogs dont catch colds, runny noses etc from the weather, they have a coat to withstand the weather and an hour walk wont do much harm in the rain. Sure dogs swim in rivers, lakes etc and dry off not long after it.

Yes some very spoilt dogs do not like the bad weather, but they are few and far between.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Btw guys if you've an issue report a post, don't leave a pointless comment or I will start infracting

Pighead yes dogs can catch colds and so forth, but as said, their coat will protect them from most rain, you can always help them dry off when they get home with newspapers etc. Or you can invest in a dog coat, that would be for the most part rain proof, thus keepin the bulk of your dog dry. You yourself can get kitted out too for the rain :)

It's not unusual, some dogs *love* the rain. I've two, the older one hates it, won't even go out to wee in it unless you make her. Younger one will happily play outside jumping in puddles and so forth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

I have a lad just like yourself, he insists on being taken out in the rain, and whinge and whinge and whinge until it happens. His little girlfriend is much more mellow, she'll have the patience to wait till it stops and if really desperate she'll run out the back garden to drop the kids off. Maybe she doesn't like having her hair ruined ?

Sundew wrote: »

Was actually considering getting raingear for the dog but just can't go through with it. People would start calling Pighead names and to be honest I'm not sure if Jacko would be too happy wearing a plastic mac with a hood on it.

Just for the record Pighead is a good dog owner and has no problem bringing Jacko out for walkies across the wet sodden fields. Was more worried about his health but as some here seem to think he'll be ok, maybe it's time to reassess the whole walkies in rain scenario.

• Advertisement

You can get proper dog coats, not stupid looking ones with hoods etc that are only to make your dog look cute etc.

Rain wont harm the dog, the dog will dry off and you will surprised that he wont actually get too wet. As i said before, dogs go swimming and the wet doesnt bother them then, so why would a little bit of rain bother them?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Posts have been deleted, please read the forum charter before posting. I will hand out bans
    Everyone is entitled to ask a question, no matter how silly some may think it, we all had to ask a question at one point.

andreac wrote: »
    As i said before, dogs go swimming and the wet doesnt bother them then, so why would a little bit of rain bother them?:confused:
    Surely that's a bit different though? Pighead goes swimming once a week and spends a good two hours in the pool. Wouldn't dream of spending two hours out in the cold wet rain though. Surely they're two completely different levels of wetness? And surely there's a cut off point as to how much cold and wetness a dog can take? They're not invincible. Or are they?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

You can get proper dog coats, not stupid looking ones with hoods etc that are only to make your dog look cute etc.

Rain wont harm the dog, the dog will dry off and you will surprised that he wont actually get too wet. As i said before, dogs go swimming and the wet doesnt bother them then, so why would a little bit of rain bother them?:confused:

Our Westhighland terrier got a bad dose of Pneumonia a few years back. She liked to go fishing with My Dad! Our new & present terrier still goes fishing but has his own yellow mac for when the weather is bad. It's pretty practical for the West of Ireland and ain't to look cute!

My Father- in -law would never dream of walking his greyhounds without their shabby coats :D

Pighead, walking a dog in the rain will do absol no harm to them, they have coats that are protected by natural oils.

Swimming and walking in the rain really is no different, they are both getting wet. The dog will get wetter in the sea/lake obv but its all the same really.

You are only going to be out in it for an hour or so, and the dog will be dry again in an hour or so too once you come home, but once a dog is running/walking and is the rain he keeps himself warm.

Its very different than a dog sitting outside in the freezing cold with no shelter and warmth, then that would be bad for him.

I think you are just looking for excuses not to walk your dog in the rain if you ask me.:(

I think you are just looking for excuses not to walk your dog in the rain if you ask me.:(
    Not true andreac. Pighead is not one to blow his own trumpet but he is a most excellent and considerate dog owner. Always have Jacko's best interests at heart. Would walk to Cork and back for the beast. And fyi, Pighead lives in Dundalk so that's no five minute stroll.

Will take Jacko walking tomorrow. Rain, hail or snow.

Pighead wrote: »
    Not true andreac. Pighead is not one to blow his own trumpet but he is a most excellent and considerate dog owner. Always have Jacko's best interests at heart. Would walk to Cork and back for the beast. And fyi, Pighead lives in Dundalk so that's no five minute stroll.

Will take Jacko walking tomorrow. Rain, hail or snow.

Ok, sounds good. Trust me, you or your dog wont melt in a bit of rain, lol.:P

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

I'm sure he's been out the back when it has rained before? Dogs don't mind it. Just be wary of when he starts to do his shaky thing to get himself dry :p

Do you have a massive umbrella both of you can walk under? That will help not get the dog soaked, also you can buy raincoats for dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

My guy wont go out the back to do his wee when its raining, but its no problem when he see's the lead.

Why does pighead talk about pighead in the third person? It sounds stupid.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

funkyjebus wrote: »
    My guy wont go out the back to do his wee when its raining, but its no problem when he see's the lead.

Why does pighead talk about pighead in the third person? It sounds stupid.:confused:

He's amazing. Best not to question him about it though. R.Rated got destroyed before.

My dog actually didnt care about the rain, but if we were hesistant, she would be too. Something about us creeping under a tree maybe spooked her :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Paul91

funnily enough not only do my dogs have waterproof skin - but so do I :D i've never drwoned yet in the rain - my guys are out twice a day every day unless one is recovering from an operation - like Roxy who was neutered yesterday - poor girl - apart from that i have been out in rain, snow, hail (with only shorts and t-shirt on), wind, sun, ice, just waiting for the locusts to complete the set - even take them out when i'm sick or injured

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭The Paws

Hiya,

I was out walking with my dog around lunch time today and it was pouring - all the rain and strong winds too - He loves it - so do I! It was a quite refreshing. Himself actually pretended he didnt know me until it was time to go home. He was running mad checking his messages around him and returning his messages to other dog walkers...he took his time in one section that I really thought he was writing a poem!:D
    He also loves the drying up part when we are home. It is lovely to be out as long he is not too wet and cold all the time (especally me!). He is now behind me snoozing away ( ...his paws were moving about as if he was playing a panio - me thinks!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Santrypad

This is priceless, dont know why I find it so funny but I do.

Pighead let us know how you get on tomorrow with the walk, would love to hear how it goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭pitbull_fanatic

Nope, not at all. Dogs dont catch colds, runny noses etc from the weather, they have a coat to withstand the weather and an hour walk wont do much harm in the rain. Sure dogs swim in rivers, lakes etc and dry off not long after it.

Yes some very spoilt dogs do not like the bad weather, but they are few and far between.

not too far at all!! my 2 try to run home once it rains!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

My Dobies also like to be walked in the rain or at least they think they do. After 10 minutes they start moaning and complaining about it if it gets heavy.

My poor Bonnie (RIP) wanted to be returned to the jeep immediatly in a 'beam us up Scottie' kind of way if the rain became anyway heavy.

My new Dobie Scampy is showing an absolute intolerance of cold / wind / rain and refuses to go out in it using my other Dobie as her personal central heating system.

The collie on the other hand is always jumping around in the rain and has to be put in ffor her own good on cold nights. Naturally she regards everyday as suitable for walks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

If my tiny Chihuahua survives a walk in the rain with just her tartan coat then it won't do your dog any harm :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ghost_ie

Dogs' minds work in mysterious ways. My three won't set paw outside the back door to have a pee if it's raining, but will happily walk to the park in a downpour and spend hours there chasing balls. Likewise, they are more than happy to go swimming in the river but let them see a bath and they have dragged out of various hiding places and then protest violently when forced into said bath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Santrypad

Know this is off topic but I was reading through some of your other posts.....Your a beaut, was doubled up at some of things you came out with.

How did the walk go for you and Jacko? Did you walk the beast yet?

Advertisement