Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What would you do?

Options
  • 15-01-2010 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

Some of the information here is a little sketchy but the main issue is not. I think one of the players, if not two, are posters on Boards, if so feel free to correct any details given.

Middle stages of live tourney, blinds at 200 400.I am in Big Blind with Q 10 suited, looking forward to seeing a cheap flop, player in mid position pushes for about 2K, decent player one over raises, and a poor player in cut of, with big stack thinks for a few minutes and then pushes and is called by decent player.

The hands go over, Shorty has AK diamonds, Decent player has QQ and poor player shows A 7 off (not exactly sure of hand but it was an Ace Rag off suit hand).

At this stage I was only half paying attention, there was a match on the big screen and we were now only looking a running off the cards.

Flop comes down something like 4 5 J, 4 and 5 are two diamonds. Turn completes shorties flush with 2 D and the river gives him a straight flush with the 3 D. There is a little cheer etc when the Straight flush arrives, and shorty is awarded the main pot.

Then the dealer awards the side pot to Decent player with the QQ, and he starts to shuffle the cards. As I said I was not entirely paying attention, but after the dealer has started the shuffle for the next hand I realise that the weak player should have taken the side pot and knocked out the decent player. I am nearly sure that the player who was awarded the pot had coped on.

I didn't say anything, should I have said something?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭El Stuntman

give him a wink imo

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭wannabecraig

Sounds like this prob happened in the jackpot with one of those 'play for free dealers' they have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭StraddleFor6

You certain he didn't have the Q of diamonds?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭YULETIRED

give him a wink imo

Don't do this, never wink at another man unless you are feigning injury, be careful of taking advise from him or BCB, I don't know what's going on around these parts these days.

In your situation I'd say something, mainly becuase I can't help myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭72over

Some of the information here is a little sketchy but the main issue is not. I think one of the players, if not two, are posters on Boards, if so feel free to correct any details given.

Middle stages of live tourney, blinds at 200 400.I am in Big Blind with Q 10 suited, looking forward to seeing a cheap flop, player in mid position pushes for about 2K, decent player one over raises, and a poor player in cut of, with big stack thinks for a few minutes and then pushes and is called by decent player.

The hands go over, Shorty has AK diamonds, Decent player has QQ and poor player shows A 7 off (not exactly sure of hand but it was an Ace Rag off suit hand).

At this stage I was only half paying attention, there was a match on the big screen and we were now only looking a running off the cards.

Flop comes down something like 4 5 J, 4 and 5 are two diamonds. Turn completes shorties flush with 2 D and the river gives him a straight flush with the 3 D. There is a little cheer etc when the Straight flush arrives, and shorty is awarded the main pot.

Then the dealer awards the side pot to Decent player with the QQ, and he starts to shuffle the cards. As I said I was not entirely paying attention, but after the dealer has started the shuffle for the next hand I realise that the weak player should have taken the side pot and knocked out the decent player. I am nearly sure that the player who was awarded the pot had coped on.

No, you were def right to keep quiet. WP imo:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭gorrrr72

Where I play a 23457 of Diamonds is not a straight flush.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

gorrrr72 wrote: »

A2345 all diamonds is though. Re read the OP.

This thread should probably be in one of the subforums, but I guess I'll leave it here as I can't decide the best fit.

As to the situation, it is probably too late, but I'd have asked during the riffle anyhow. Maybe as suggested though, the other player had the Q of diamonds?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,302 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

gorrrr72 wrote: »

facepalm2pg1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Grafter

straight_flush_street_name.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭gorrrr72

5starpool wrote: »
    A2345 all diamonds is though. Re read the OP.

This thread should probably be in one of the subforums, but I guess I'll leave it here as I can't decide the best fit.

As to the situation, it is probably too late, but I'd have asked during the riffle anyhow. Maybe as suggested though, the other player had the Q of diamonds?

Dammit:(...

VnGwW65a.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭cokedrinker

72over wrote: »
    No, you were def right to keep quiet. WP imo:pac:
    lol exactly, reread the bolded parts OP - whatever about questioning the sidepot while it was being shipped and the cards were still showing... you missed the bus when the dealer started shuffling for a new hand, and will only ever open yourself up to a prahlad/lisandro fiasco - where you were probably wrong to begin with (as the highlights may suggest)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭VI_BEAR

See bold section he could not have A of diamonds as guy had AK of diamonds so other players A7 off couldn't make a straight flush on said board

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭cokedrinker

VI_BEAR wrote: »
    See bold section he could not have A of diamonds as guy had AK of diamonds so other players A7 off couldn't make a straight flush on said board

lol, shorties AK made the straight flush, poor players Ace made a straight, other guy had QQ (but more than likely flush)

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭RichardB2

Ignoring whether you've got the hands correct or not
    & addressing the substantive question of whether
    you should say anything when the pot is awarded incorrectly.

The dealer has not yet riffled so there is still time to correct mistakes.
    I'd pipe up for two possible reasons:
    "High moral ground" - A player has been denied his rightful pot. :rolleyes:
    "Self serving grounds" - It helps me if a good player is busted out. :p

PS:
    Sounds like this prob happened in the jackpot with one of those 'play for free dealers' they have.
    I've done that. :D

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 176 ✭✭pkr_ennis

As soon as the dealer riffles the cards for the first time, the next hand begins and any claim on the pot is gone. It means that the time to object is at the time of the incident. The dude didn't protect his own hand so he lost the pot.
    Definitely speak up if you see a mistake. It's everyones responsibility at the table to make sure things go down right.
    KITN for the dealer here.
    C :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭mormank

You certain he didn't have the Q of diamonds?

without reading any further i would reckon that he just had the Q od diamonds also.as you said yourself, you werent paying much attention

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭thenutpeddler

Jays OP

What have you ever done to deserve the wrath of the special needs class.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭getting worse

Sorry for not getting back to this till now, and thanks for the replies. First up you are right QQ could have included the Q of Diamonds, I don't think it did, but I am not 100% sure. I think I would have noticed that flush and when dealer awarded the side pot he clearly stated Pair of Queens for the side pot not flush. The player reacted a little strangely and checked with him that he was getting the side pot.

In any event the main issue I was trying to get at was when to speak up and would you accept the pot if you were incorrectly awarded it?

I didn't really think about it until he hand started to shuffle, and then I decided it was to late for me to raise anything. I wasn't sure if this was correct.

The second issue is this particular dealer made a couple ofr basic errors while at our table (fitz not jackpot), he really didn't seem at all interested. Not a rant against dealers, as by and large they do good job and how they put up with some the abuse they get at the tables is beyond me.

Advertisement