Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gig Venue

Options
  • 15-01-2010 4:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Hey there guys just wondering where i can look for gigs for a friend of mine that will be home soon, acoustic singer song writer, some excellent covers also ! cross between springsteen and tom waits i would say ,

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

I haven't seen many singer song writers getting gigs on the circuit in a long time, not with covers. Maybe I am just hanging out in the wrong places though!

Galway Social Space might help:
    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=33651130923

Otherwise, I imagine The Crane (with covers though I doubt it), upstairs in the Roisin, maybe the Cellar or Kings Head, but then I have only heard of bands gigging there...

Hopefully there will be more helpful posts..

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭padraig71

The main venues that spring to mind are the Roisin (maybe upstairs?), the Crane or Kelly's, or Campbell's at Cloughanover. The alternative would be to put on his own gigs somewhere like the Town Hall Theatre studio, upstairs at Busker Browne's, De Burgo's, the long back room at Monroe's, BK's perhaps… I heard there's a new open mic at the Oslo, maybe that would be of interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

There used to be Open Mic Night in the cellar, maybe still is?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Sconsey

I'd say upstairs in Roisin's is the best fit for what you are describing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 389 ✭✭Jamey

Magnus wrote: »
    There used to be Open Mic Night in the cellar, maybe still is?

Yep, Wednesdays from 10pm, downstairs.

Also I'd say try the Amnesty Cafe on Middle St. They're looking for people to play music in there from 6-8 on Fridays I believe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭aido179

The oslo in salthill are hosting a regular open mic restarting again on 21st. i think it starts at 7. all welcome.
    Im a singer/song writer also looking for gigs. atm im working on getting a demo recorded. let me know what your friend ends up doing, id be glad to check him/her out or even collab on getting a gig set up.

jamey: thanks for that info, i will be in there tommorow!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Is it paid gigs ye're looking for, or do ye just want a venue to get out there and play?

If it's the former, gigs are THIN on the ground for the best of them, I have a lot of musician mates. A lot of bigger venues are going with solely cover bands but even moreso getting rid of live music.

Róisin upstairs doesn't usually pay, they may do a deal where you keep the door. Open mics are great, but again, no money.

Are Amnesty doing a Friday cafe gig now? They used to on Thurs in the old venue. The people who ran that night (which was brilliant) are opening a new coffee house night coming soon. I don't have final details but it will be at a location near Shop St and will be by invitation (like Amnesty was) rather than open mic.

The Crane has a few paid performers or the odd seeded paid trad person, but a lot of people just play in the sessions and maybe get a pint or two.

Bigger performers like Ger Wolfe (amazing Cork Singer) play there, and do a cut of the door I believe, it can be 5-20 for some gigs!

If ye're good ye'll get some work. But if you want to do freebies, just do them at open mics, it's hard enough for the working musicians without the nastier venues (none of the above) getting free musicians and firing the paid ones!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Mcmurphy_old

Thanks for all the suggestions lads, only recently moved here so its good to know these things, he has done the open mic thing in the cellar and its great , in response to the "covers" thing he only does them to show other interpretation of songs and generally just likes to sing ! The amnesty gig sounds interesting , you can check him out at ...
    www.myspace.com/thereallukedavis

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭padraig71

inisboffin wrote: »
    If ye're good ye'll get some work. But if you want to do freebies, just do them at open mics, it's hard enough for the working musicians without the nastier venues (none of the above) getting free musicians and firing the paid ones!!

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Zhivagos doorway.

• Advertisement
Advertisement