Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

orbital route

Options
  • 15-01-2010 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭

Its to become operational on jan 22nd

I can't find a proper design so paint will show how its to change:

upper william st and newtown mahon will become one way out bound with traffic noe using sexton st for access to the city.
    A bus lane will also be built on mulgrave street inbound.

The area outside shannon furniture will be removed

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I can see problems with all the cars parked at school times on Sexton Street.

I use that one way system now in the mornings to avoid all the traffic on UpperWilliam Street and Upper Gerald Griffin Street.

Stupid idea. There was nothing wrong with the original system other than the amount of traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

So with the new system, All traffic that is coming in towards town on Mulgrave street will use Sexton Street and basically have to try and get across the traffic coming from Gerald Griffin street if they want to go down Roches Street? What happens if you are coming from Sexton street and need the right hand land going down Roches street?

Only way around that is to have the traffic light system stopping one of the street whilst the other moves, which would mean the traffic coming up Parnell street would get delayed for an extra light change if another street gets added to the traffic light pattern there.

Preety much looks a good way to add to congestion to me, especially when you take the schools into account and the way the parents abandon park their cars anywhere they want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭sonyair

Kess73 wrote: »
    So with the new system, All traffic that is coming in towards town on Mulgrave street will use Sexton Street and basically have to try and get across the traffic coming from Gerald Griffin street if they want to go down Roches Street? What happens if you are coming from Sexton street and need the right hand land going down Roches street?

Only way around that is to have the traffic light system stopping one of the street whilst the other moves, which would mean the traffic coming up Parnell street would get delayed for an extra light change if another street gets added to the traffic light pattern there.

Preety much looks a good way to add to congestion to me, especially when you take the schools into account and the way the parents abandon park their cars anywhere they want to.

when the lights go green on sexton st they are green on gerald grifin st as well, there are two junctions here, one that stops traffic before sexton st and one before parnell st so there will be no problem just to extend the time for the lights

sonyair wrote: »
    when the lights go green on sexton st they are green on gerald grifin st as well, there are two junctions here, one that stops traffic before sexton st and one before parnell st so there will be no problem just to extend the time for the lights

If the lights go green at the same time for Sexton Street and Gerald Griffin street, that leaves two sets of cars heading for Roches street at the same time, or two sets heading for Parnell street at the same time. Or cars from Griffin street going straight to Parnell street would block cars from Sexton street going to Roches street.

Surely the lights on the Griffin junction just before Sexton street would have to be red before the Sexton street traffic can drive, otherwise both flows meet.

And if they do all have to work on a rotate system with the lights, it still means that the Parnell street traffic coming into town has to wait an extra turn due to the xtra street of incoming traffic, and as such it has to cause extra delays in that area.

Kess I use Sexton St every single day on the newish system.

When the lights go red on Upper Gerald Griffin Street there is never any cars in the space between those new lights and the pre existing lights at the top of Roches Street. The reason is because the lights at the junction stay green a little longer to clear anything that was there.

When the lights go green on Sexton Street they go green simultaneously on the roches street junction so you just sail through.

Try it tomorrow if you are about that way. You will NEVER go the other way again when traffic is busy. :D

There are two lanes on Sexton street also and both lanes can go down Roches Street but the left lane can also, obviously, go off up Parnell Street also. The right lane is also used for going onto Wickham Street.

• Advertisement

look at this, gerald griffin and parnell st will be held so sexton st will get green

• Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭source

There's already an extra set of lights, on Gerald Griffin St, that leaves Sexton st go before Gerald Griffin St.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭johnmolloy554

Berty wrote: »
    Stupid idea. There was nothing wrong with the original system other than the amount of traffic.

Isn't that why road congestion occurs in the first place....

Kess I use Sexton St every single day on the newish system.

When the lights go red on Upper Gerald Griffin Street there is never any cars in the space between those new lights and the pre existing lights at the top of Roches Street. The reason is because the lights at the junction stay green a little longer to clear anything that was there.

When the lights go green on Sexton Street they go green simultaneously on the roches street junction so you just sail through.

Try it tomorrow if you are about that way. You will NEVER go the other way again when traffic is busy. :D

There are two lanes on Sexton street also and both lanes can go down Roches Street but the left lane can also, obviously, go off up Parnell Street also. The right lane is also used for going onto Wickham Street.

I drive it every day or so on the current system. The new system does not kick in until the 22nd of this month, and it was the new system I was questioning, which will have Sexton Street as the main link to the city from the Ballysimon road/Mulgrave street.

And once the new system is in place, all the traffic that used to go up William street from Mulgrave street will no longer go onto Griffin street, so Sexton street will cease to be a quick road as it will be the main route from the 22nd onwards.

Sonyair confused me a bit when he/she said that when the lights will be green on Gerald Griffin street that they will be green on Sexton street at the same time.I had assumed that there will be a three tier system for the traffic lights once we get to the 22nd.

the assumed three being the below.

When Parnell street heading towards town is green, then Sexton st and Gerald Griffin street are red, bar the turning left off of Sexton street to drive down Parnell street.

When Gerald Griffin street has a green, then Sexton st and Parnell st towards town are red.

When Sexton st has all green, then Parnell st and Gerald griffin st (except fopr right onto Wicham st) are red.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

The LCC must have had money set out for Traffic lights, they seem to be putting them everywhere at the moment!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I used this route tonight, came up Sexton St to the traffic lights at the junction at Upper Gerald Griffin St, was heading straight through to turn down Wickem St, lights turn green so I proceeded to go through, lights also turned green at the Parnell Street junction. Then from the corner of my eye I seen a car waiting at the Upper Gerald Griffin St side take off coming towards me from the right. He obviously thought once the Parnell St lights changed to green that he too could go ahead.

Luckily I spotted him otherwise he would have probably shunted into the side of me, he had a very confussed look on his face. That double junction is going to be a disaster, lit up like a Christmas tree with the too many traffic lights to confuse people.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭sioda

Better off turning the entire interchange a big threeway junction. Have seen what bazz described happen a few times now. Can see a huge accident happening up there tbh

Drove that way a bit after seven tonight. The work is still not done on it, and the old route is still in effect.

I drove sexton st at school time, its down to one lane. There will be chaos when two lanes try and squeeze into one at school times

sonyair wrote: »
    I drove sexton st at school time, its down to one lane. There will be chaos when two lanes try and squeeze into one at school times

Yeah its a joke during school drop off and collection.

Kids /teenagers just stroll out in front of traffic and cars have no consideration for the double yellow lines.

Roll on the opening of the tunnel and many of the people using those streets (including me) trying to cross the shannon will not need to head in through the city.

OH YEAH. PEOPLE STILL DRIVE THE WRONG WAY ON THE ROAD!!!! :mad:

Yeah its a joke during school drop off and collection.

Kids /teenagers just stroll out in front of traffic and cars have no consideration for the double yellow lines.

Roll on the opening of the tunnel and many of the people using those streets (including me) trying to cross the shannon will not need to head in through the city.

OH YEAH. PEOPLE STILL DRIVE THE WRONG WAY ON THE ROAD!!!! :mad:

Driving the wrong way tell me about it, I been closer to god loads of times on this street, I can't wait for the tunnel to open as it will be alot easier for me to get to town

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭manna452121

I was in that area today and they were digging up new tarmac that had gone down on Thursday.The whole place was like a bomb site.The lights at sexton st/gearld griffin st are also a joke,wait till the schools get going.

Just so you know.

The Sexton Street / Upper William St opens up at 10:30am this morning.

The area is best avoided around that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭sioda

Gonna be very annoying not to be able to turn right at the horse and hound coming in to the city. Can also see the one yay system having a very negative effect on the businesses centra etc on the left game side of upper william street

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

just back from ryans locksmiths....traffic is nuts up there i normally go up and turn down by the school to come back to roxbro but instead i came back over across weston way

• Advertisement

Drove past there at 10:45. Was laughable. The turn off to get to the new Sexton street route was still blocked off at that point despite the new system outwards being in effect, and the traffic coming in from the Ballysimon road was being diverted down towards John's square, so that it had to use Griffin street to get to town.

Typical haphazard shyte from the local authorities in terms of organising things. :D

Anybody got any idea what the changes for Sarsfield street will be? The guy on the radio today was saying that area would be getting a similar change in a few months, but he did not say what the actual changes would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Another amature hour only seen in Ireland.

here is the map from lcc

I was in bumper to bumper traffic at the People's park at 12pm.

Tried to sneak around and get onto Parnell St. The traffic was lined up the entire way down Wickham Street Street. I did a u-turn and headed out the Roxborough way.

This is progression.......................

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Pikasso

Was up that way this morning before 12. Total chaos - traffic trying to get on to the top of William Street was backed up all the way up Parnell Street from the Railway station, not to mention the snarl up once you got on to William Street upper.

I saw lots of workers around digging and moving things but no traffic wardens, traffic cops or planners doing surveys to see how things were moving.

This is yet another reason NOT to come into the city centre.

(BTW what was wrong with two way streets? As far as I can see, one way systems are trouble!)

I drove it Musgrave street into town at 5:30PM. Quiet until we hit Roches Street which was congested as usual.

Something happened that I was not expecting though.

When you come off Mulgrave Street you naturally go into the left lane and stay there BUT when people were coming to the junction of Gerald Griffin St and Sexton St they wanted to go to Dominic St so Wickham Street they just drove straight across even though the right lane was going diagonally towards Roches Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭cyberspi

really think they have done a terrible job of advertising this... If it wasn't for boards I wouldn't know about the changes until it was possibly too late..

• Registered Users Posts: 24,310 ✭✭✭✭phog

AA roadwatch mentioned in most bulletins.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭445279.ie

passed along the new route at 5pm today and no problems whatsoever. Hopefully it'll stay that way* :D

*but doubt it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭cyberspi

people need a visual on something like this, there should have been layouts printed in the local papers..

Advertisement