Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Scratch removers

• 15-01-2010 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭

Ok, more automobile problems!

Someone scratched my car recently, could have been done on purpose by someone as it does not appear to have any dent and the scrtches dont appear too deep. Each scratch is about an inch long and they are in a horizontal direction across the passenger door.

Someone recommended T-Cut to me as my best bet for fixing the problem myself. Is this the best product for this problem, my car is silver and I presume they are colour coded, how careful should I be about matching the colour?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Seperate

They're not 'colour coded' at all. T-Cut is an abrasive compound that will wear down the scratch to remove it. T-Cut is really old 'technology' and there are other options which will give better results, such as Meguairs ScratchX - which you'll also find in Halfords.

Personally I don't think you'll be able to completly remove the scratch by hand. You should be able to improve the cosmetics though.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Vudgie

Does your reccommendation just require rubbing in or is it more complicated than that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

If your fingernail catches it usually means you need some touch-up paint. Or else a scratch remover will at least reduce the bad look of it and make it slightly less noticeable.

Meguiar's ScratchX is the mildest of all scratch removers. So mild that it is kind of safe even in the wrong hands. Autoglym's Paint Renovator would be more abrasive and so more risky. Apply the product sparingly and polish in the direction of the scratch using a soft cloth, microfibre not cotton. Whatever you do, do not polish in circles and only use light pressure, not a heavy handed approach. Check results as you go and increase pressure slightly as required till you get desired effect.

Otherwise, this scratch remover kit is one of the best but I don't think it is sold in the shops.

http://www.micksgarage.ie/proddetails.aspx?pid=185162&pk=0AD0C

If in doubt, leave it to someone who knows what they are doing or else you could make it look a hell of alot worse.

Advertisement