Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

preparation

Options
  • 15-01-2010 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

Hi,

New to this forum, 26yr old boyfriend with a lovely girlfriend.

Me and lovely girlfriend have decided we want to have a tot.

So i've decided to be a bit proactive and ask some simple questions.

What are the things that we need to know now if we want to conceive late in the year?

Whats the best way of setting up for this experience?

How much money do you need to have for emergency, start-up stuff and weekly food, nappies etc for a tot?

Basically where do I begin!

Sorry for the long Post,

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭axel rose

Whats the best way of setting up for this experience?
    man there are so many ways I can answer this one!!!!!:pac:

OK practically, Do you have the space for a baby? Not only a bedroom but all the junk they tend to accumulate. (I already assume that you live together).

Do you have similar ideologies on child rearing? Have an idea on roles that you intend to take on. Are either of you planning on staying at home for a while beyond mat leave.

If you are not planning on getting married then I suggest that you both get decent life insurance cover. Also write a will ( aye got stung with that one- no issue but it just makes the probate issue a pain to organise)..

How much money do you need to have for emergency, start-up stuff and weekly food, nappies etc for a tot?

Seriously how long is a piece of string? If you are willing to beg and borrow, shop in pennies and various sales, prepare your own food, then its pretty affordable. Remember you will save a fortune because you can forget about all those nights out, weekends away and meals out.

Best of luck :)

Oh i meant to add-Its damn hard work, absolutely life changing and definitely the most stressful and most fun job you will ever take on.......but anything that is worthwhile is hard work

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭charlieroot

A couple of things that might be useful:

1) Your girlfriend should start taking folic acid supplements 3 months before hand and for at least the first 3 months of pregnancy.

2) Its a good idea to call into your GP and discuss your girlfriends health and do some quick health checks.

3) Its help of course if you have a GP which you have a good relationship with it will help with the antenatal care (care of mum and baby during the pregnancy). Ask some friends or family for a recommendation - which I think is usually the best of way finding a good GP.

Best of luck.

Advertisement