Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much does a meteorologists typically make a year in Ireland?

Options
  • 15-01-2010 4:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭

How much does a meteorologists typically make a year in Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

a singlar plural :confused::confused:

What is a bunch of weather people called anyway ?

Im gonna go for a downpour of weather people

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The collective noun for Meteorologists in Ireland is "A Pissant" if male and "A Pissante" if female or of mixed gender.

HTH

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

I am not sure of exact figures, but if you get in as a proper Meteorologist i think you start at around 40k and move up to around 70/80k after like 20 years service.

Alot less in England though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Michaelrsh

t|nt|n wrote: »
    a singlar plural :confused::confused:

What is a bunch of weather people called anyway ?

Im gonna go for a downpour of weather people

METEOROLOGIST!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Michaelrsh

I am not sure of exact figures, but if you get in as a proper Meteorologist i think you start at around 40k and move up to around 70/80k after like 20 years service.

Alot less in England though.

I presume that's euros, right?

Do you have to have a undergraduate meteorology degree or would a physics degree (what I'm doing) and then a masters in meteorology after be ok?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

I can set ye up for about a hundred bucks, the whole kit -- dartboard, barometer, window cleaner, internet hookup first month, then you're good to go, with my handy guide to weather terms thrown in so it sounds like you have a clue.

Never say "low front" that's a giveaway right there.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

byrnej_med_new.jpg

Is this the 'low front' you mentioned MT?

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

Michaelrsh wrote: »

Do you have to have a undergraduate meteorology degree or would a physics degree (what I'm doing) and then a masters in meteorology after be ok?

II.1 or I.1 in Physics would give you a shot and a masters in Meteorology would be even better.

Although you have to be lucky with vacancies, as i am sure there wouldn't be more than 1 vacancy in Met Eireann a year.

And i was looking at the Met Office in the UK and you start on something really low even when your fully qualified, something like 22k and can reach something like 40k. Obviously sterling but still pretty crap for a professional job.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

greysides wrote: »
    byrnej_med_new.jpg

:D

byrnej_med_new.jpg

Whats up with the obsession with Jean!

Its becoming slightly worrying :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Taken from the Met Éireann page http://www.met.ie/faqs/default.asp

What kind of careers are there in Met Éireann?
    Met Éireann has two entry grades
    1. Meteorologist
    2. Meteorological Officer
    Necessary educational and other qualifications
    1. Meteorologist: Recognised First or good Second Class Honours University degree in Meteorology or Physics or Mathematical Physics or Mathematics or a qualification regarded by the Public Appointments Service (PAS) as equivalent in value for the purpose of the competition to any of the foregoing. PAS is the centralised provider of recruitment, assessment and selection services for the Civil Service, and appointment to these posts is by way of open competitions conducted by PAS. Details of competitions are advertised in the national press and radio.
    2. Meteorological Officer: Candidates must have obtained at least Grade D in five subjects (including Irish and/or English),in the Leaving Certificate ( or an equivalent examination ) with at least Grade C in Mathematics ( Higher Level ) and at least Grade D in one of the following subjects; Applied Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Physics and Chemistry, General Science, or an acceptable equivalent qualification. Appointments follow similar procedures as for Meteorologists.
    Promotional opportunities exist in both streams

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Whats up with the obsession with Jean!

Its becoming slightly worrying :eek:

You would though ;):D:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Michaelrsh wrote: »

Theres no undergraduate meteorology course really....Im doin a B S in Climate and Earth system science ... but still tat would only be a Bachelors of Science.
    Id be hopin to get a Masters in Meteorology then.

But ye a masters in physics is the 2nd best thing .(well theoretical physics would actually be the 2nd best but ye...physics is physics)

And hey wats all this hullaboolu wit the word METEOROLOGISTS?

I suppose a person who studies meteors must be a weatherologist.

You might want to consider becoming a climatologist if your academic path so far has not been purely in science. The path to that comes through the geography program of a university and can involve transfer to a science program in a later stage, but there are bound to be vacancies there given the current state of affairs. If you're an AGW proponent, you might think there would be more need for qualified workers in the field. If not, you might think there will soon be a mass sacking of the current crop. Either way, seems like a promising career opportunity.

I'm a climatologist, I suppose, but I became a "forecaster" as opposed to a meteorologist through practical experience. I don't mean pretend wannabe experience which is still sometimes adequate to the challenge given how reliable the models are nowadays, but training by actual meteorologists in a forecast office setting.

Almost all the physics you have to digest to pass exams to become a meteorologist then becomes a distant memory and hardly ever applied in practice because here's how meterorology actually works in large agencies and companies:

-- you get into work and the previous shift tells you what they made of the model runs.

-- your shift discusses that and looks at the new model runs.

-- people keep an eye on developments to make sure something odd isn't happening, like the model being wrong at three hours.

-- the dartboard comes out.

-- the next shift comes in.

and on and on it goes. By the time you're forty, if you can even remember what an Eckman spiral is, you're the only one in the office who can.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭eigrod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭TirNaNog.

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Theres no undergraduate meteorology course really....Im doin a B S in Climate and Earth system science ... but still tat would only be a Bachelors of Science.
    [/B]

Hey,
    I am interested in the earth systems and climate science degree in UCD,is this where you are doing it how do you find it?its half maths/geological science course I hear? how do you find it? are you in a small class?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Posted By M.T. Cranium,

-- you get into work and the previous shift tells you what they made of the model runs.

-- people keep an eye on developments to make sure something odd isn't happening, like the model being wrong at three hours.

and on and on it goes. By the time you're forty, if you can even remember what an Eckman spiral is, you're the only one in the office who can.[/quote]

Haha , my friends in the class always go on about this , like how all the topics that we are learning arent ALWAYS being used ... but ye at least i hav something to look forward to! ha :D

Where did you get the degrees if you dont mind me asking?

I get the third degree around here every day. :D

Did I say earlier, my training was entirely as a climatologist, so it was a B.A. in geography from the University of Toronto. Within that program, you were required to take a minimum of five advanced math courses in statistics mostly, and a general level science course related to meteorology, but I would imagine the requirements nowadays are more science-based than when I did this (forty years ago). But if I had chosen to pursue a career as a climatologist at a university or agency, I am pretty certain that I would have been advised to get an M.Sc. and that would have probably involved upgrading my B.A. to a B.Sc. I chose another career path at that point, being somewhat interested in urban planning, but then I got back into the weather business through that.

As to my meteorology training, that was informal and offered by co-workers in a forecast office. You can become just about as proficient at meteorology as practised as a formally trained meteorologist in this way, at least that's my impression based on several cases, not just mine, but of course your job opportunities will be limited to private companies and your titles will probably be met technician titles to avoid legal problems. A met tech job in Canada can be obtained through a trades and technical college diploma, I believe, as well as a B.Sc. But it's not an entry level position for becoming a meteorologist as far as I know.

I have no idea what supply and demand are like in Ireland on this front, but you'd want to check into it because one country does not necessarily recognize another country's qualifications and you could end up educated with few job openings in your chosen field. Maybe with Ireland being a relatively small nation they have it co-ordinated between Met E and the one university how many people to admit to the program, etc. In the USA where there must be over ten thousand meteorologists, the job market nowadays is not especially rosy from what I've heard. Many of those people work for one TV station and in some cases they are looking to cut back.

I'm sure this is well known too, but some people tend to confuse TV weather presenters and meteorologists; there is an overlap, maybe it's total in Ireland, I don't know, but in North America and I think in the U.K. also, there are quite a few TV weather presenters who are not meteorologists and whose education before getting that position was largely in broadcast journalism, plus whatever orientation courses were on offer to become qualified to be a presenter. I think most of these people catch on very quickly to the basic meteorological concepts, but how they would function without guidance from actual meteorologists is an open question. Not that they need to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

I suppose a person who studies meteors must be a weatherologist.

You might want to consider becoming a climatologist if your academic path so far has not been purely in science. The path to that comes through the geography program of a university and can involve transfer to a science program in a later stage, but there are bound to be vacancies there given the current state of affairs. If you're an AGW proponent, you might think there would be more need for qualified workers in the field. If not, you might think there will soon be a mass sacking of the current crop. Either way, seems like a promising career opportunity.

I'm a climatologist, I suppose, but I became a "forecaster" as opposed to a meteorologist through practical experience. I don't mean pretend wannabe experience which is still sometimes adequate to the challenge given how reliable the models are nowadays, but training by actual meteorologists in a forecast office setting.

Almost all the physics you have to digest to pass exams to become a meteorologist then becomes a distant memory and hardly ever applied in practice because here's how meterorology actually works in large agencies and companies:

and on and on it goes. By the time you're forty, if you can even remember what an Eckman spiral is, you're the only one in the office who can.

I was sold at dart board.

Where do I sign up.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

For the RTE weather forecast we have a mixture of meteorologists and weather presenters. It caused a minor 'storm' a few years ago when the presenters were taken on. It was said to be done to free up the meteorologists time.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Speak Now

For the RTE weather forecast we have a mixture of meteorologists and weather presenters. It caused a minor 'storm' a few years ago when the presenters were taken on. It was said to be done to free up the meteorologists time.

The presenters are crap though aren't they, you want to be told good or bad by the real deal :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ascutza

Hey, I'm a graduate from Romania, and i wonder if I can find a job in Ireland, as meteorologist (of course, if vacancies) if I'm foreigner without citizenship and graduated Bachelor in Meteorology and Hydrology and Master in Resouces and risks in the hydro-meteorological environment here in Romania, at Babes-Bolyai University..

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

ascutza wrote: »
    Hey, I'm a graduate from Romania, and i wonder if I can find a job in Ireland, as meteorologist (of course, if vacancies) if I'm foreigner without citizenship and graduated Bachelor in Meteorology and Hydrology and Master in Resouces and risks in the hydro-meteorological environment here in Romania, at Babes-Bolyai University..

Hi there, I'm afraid to say that as far as I know there are only very rarely vacancies offered by the national weather agency and there are not too many private companies in Ireland. In 2010 I did my Masters in a meteorology course run in cooperation with the national weather service here and none of our class managed to get meteorology jobs in Ireland, half of us ended up doing Phds, most of them in other countries.

What I would suggest is focusing on the risk element of your masters more. Sign up to this mailing list here too http://www.met.rdg.ac.uk/~brugge/jobs.html, it carries most of the meteorological jobs available in europe, quite a few in the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

ascutza wrote: »

Are there not thousands of jobs in hydrology? I thought the water resource field was becoming huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

The girl who presented the late night forecast tonight is free to take up the meteorologists time any time she likes! Quite pleasant on the eye and definitely worth the money she's being paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

It can't be that hard to be a meteorologist. I keep checking the rainfall radar on Met.ie and I can easily tell if it is going to piss down on my way home...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

It can't be that hard to be a meteorologist. I keep checking the rainfall radar on Met.ie and I can easily tell if it is going to piss down on my way home...

Yeah 3 hour rain forecasts are all meteorologists do :rolleyes:

The level of mathematics needed to become a meteorologists is probably beyond anyone who doesn't already have an bachelors degree in physics or a related numerate discipline.

Advertisement