Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brook Inn Glanmire

Options
  • 15-01-2010 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭

I've googled this place and can't find any recent info.

Anyone know if its still operating today and if so, what
    its like for drink and food?

Cheers!

Max :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

I think it still is I havent been there in a while. Food and drink were always loverly there basic but sure what else do u need...They used to carter for parties n that there too

• Registered Users Posts: 42 mutul8

I live around the corner - the place is still going strong - nice food and nice atmosphere!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

I had a meal before christmas there and it was lovely, however it was a bit pricey and the serving was a bit on the small side for me, but the bar food menu (which they weren't serving that day) looked to be good value on menu pages.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Max001

Apologies guys, when I googled some more and found a pic, I realised I'd been there some months ago but it didn't make much of an impression. Food was ordinary yet overpriced and service was unable to cope. Don't appreciate footy with my food either. Different strokes for diff folks, as they say :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

Max001 give the The Elm Tree Bar & Restaurant in Glounthaune a go, It's 5 min's from the Brook and it's a hell of a lot nicer.
    You don't get the Glanmire crowd in there either which is always a bonus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

cork45 wrote: »
    Max001 give the The Elm Tree Bar & Restaurant in Glounthaune a go, It's 5 min's from the Brook and it's a hell of a lot nicer.

Agree with this recommendation:) Far, far nicer but downside is it is always packed.

Cheers guys, will definitely check that place out very soon. One good turn deserves another :D Next time you're in town, try the Silk Purse for dinner. I promise you, its one of Corks best kept secrets. Downstairs, they do fab lunches too. Across the road from City Hall at 1, Georges Quay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

Max001 wrote: »
    Cheers guys, will definitely check that place out very soon. One good turn deserves another :D Next time you're in town, try the Silk Purse for dinner. I promise you, its one of Corks best kept secrets. Downstairs, they do fab lunches too. Across the road from City Hall at 1, Georges Quay.

1 Union Quay I thought.

murphym7 wrote: »
    1 Union Quay I thought.

Um, yup, you may be right. Sorry bout that. Whichever quay is opposite the Clarion and across the road from City Hall. Same one as the 'new' College of Music. Can't give you more detail without a six figure grid reference! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

"Glanmire crowd"? :)
    (I'm not from Glanmire by the way, just curious).

Jeez, the Elm Tree is swanky - didn't know about it til now. Looks nice though. For a more cosy pub feel, I'd recommend The Rising Tide in Glounthaune. Yum food.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

Dudess wrote: »

The Elm Tree is swanky & The Rising Tide in Glounthaune. Yum food.

my two locals. great places.

If I won the lotto I'd buy a house in Glounthaune - gorgeous place but still seems down to earth. :)

If I won the lotto I'd buy a house in Glounthaune - gorgeous place but still seems down to earth. :)

I live right between the two pubs :)
    I've been trying to manage to buy here, but it doesn't look like it'll happen. :(
    great place - the people are fantastic.

"Glanmire crowd"? :)
    (I'm not from Glanmire by the way, just curious).

Glanmire was fine until the great unwashed from the northside moved down.

For a more cosy pub feel, I'd recommend The Rising Tide in Glounthaune. Yum food.

Cheers Dudess, keep forgetting about this place. Wuz the first pub I went to when I 'blew in' five years ago and really liked it. But, not been back since cause ......well, no good reason really. Will take a drive over this week :)

Glanmire was fine until the great unwashed from the northside moved down.

Bloody "Ne'er Do Wells".:D

I'm married to one too, part of the "hands across the river" scheme where willing soutsiders rescue/marry northsiders to give them a better quality of life!!:D If my wife read this I'd be homeless. Very brave behind a keyboard.:D

Max001 wrote: »
    Um, yup, you may be right. Sorry bout that. Whichever quay is opposite the Clarion and across the road from City Hall. Same one as the 'new' College of Music. Can't give you more detail without a six figure grid reference! ;)

Just wanted to get my post count to 400 - which I have just done!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Dan Dare

I'm married to one too, part of the "hands across the river" scheme where willing soutsiders rescue/marry northsiders to give them a better quality of life!!:D If my wife read this I'd be homeless. Very brave behind a keyboard.:D

I'm a southside Dubliner married to a Northside cork woman. :eek: "Hands across the Nation" scheme!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Dan Dare wrote: »
    I'm a southside Dubliner married to a Northside cork woman. :eek: "Hands across the Nation" scheme!

No that's more of a pity thing for her. :D

No that's more of a pity thing for her. :D

Funnily enough, thats exactly what she says. :D

• Advertisement

From county but north of the river (Inniscarra/Blarney direction), living on northside on and off since 2001 - norries ftw. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭nightster1

out of curiosity & no connection, why is it a bonus not to be with the Glanmire crowd?

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭nightster1

Bramley Lodge deli/cafe/ restaurant down by Fota is best of em all i'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

nightster1 wrote: »

This is just around the corner from The Elm Tree and I heard it's very good. I don't know what it is about the Glounthaune Road and great food. You have The Rising Tide which is great, and The Island Gate for a cheaper alternative..€9.95 for a meal and you'll be hard-pressed to finish it. It's not as classy as the other two but you won't find better at this price. I've never tried Al's Diner next to it though, they do an all-you-can-eat breakfast apparently.

You also have Fitzpatrick's Shop that makes the best sandwiches and rolls (amongst other thing) in the whole country. It's where I buy my lunch most mornings (scary road on icy mornings)..

From county but north of the river (Inniscarra/Blarney direction), living on northside on and off since 2001 - norries ftw. :D

Are you constantly moving or is it just that your location keeps changing? :confused:

<Ollie> wrote: »

You also have Fitzpatrick's Shop that makes the best sandwiches and rolls (amongst other thing) in the whole country.

quoted for absolute truth.
    they also cater out to parties and such. well worth it.

I suppose I better own up to bringing one of them down as well. I got a grant from the council for taking her in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭smileysurfer

- The Brook is still open but is notorious for terrible food.
    Going for drinks there is fine ( cramped and very bad lay out), nothing major but its fine. But definitely wouldnt recommend the food there. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

I suppose I better own up to bringing one of them down as well. I got a grant from the council for taking her in.

but absolutely no views. Pity flatlanders are such an in-bred bunch, they could have been useful as fodder but oh well... :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭mooman

Originally Posted by nightster1

They have a lovely dining area with a view of a factory, sewerage works and the Cobh road, not exactly the view I'd pay €6.50 for a boiled egg to look at:eek:

Advertisement