Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boyne 10km RR in aid of GOAL

• 15-01-2010 5:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭

Folks

We have all been horrified by the images coming out of Haiti over the past number of days.

A number of local business people along with Drogheda & District AC are organising a 10km run with 100% of the entry fee going to GOAL. The event itself is being backed by a number of local business's and Corp sponsors who will cover the administration and setup costs.

The event take place on May 2nd @ 10am and starts from the historic Battle of the Boyne Oldbridge estate. It's easily accessible from the M1 and has plenty of parking. The event is also being limited to 1000 participants

The website is www.boyne10k.ie

Please spread the word around your various clubs and communities.

Thanks
    Chez-moi

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭paulocon

So, has anynone signed up for this?
    I put my name down this morning - a bit more expensive than others but I believe that the proceeds are going to Goal.

Hoping to get out and run the course in the morning. The climb up the Rathmulland and the run back down the other side should be fun!

Edit: This topic should probably be in events..

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Salty Dog

paulocon wrote: »
    So, has anynone signed up for this?
    I put my name down this morning - a bit more expensive than others but I believe that the proceeds are going to Goal.

Hoping to get out and run the course in the morning. The climb up the Rathmulland and the run back down the other side should be fun!

Edit: This topic should probably be in events..

Apparently one of the clubs in Drogehda (Drogheda and District AC I think) are holding a training run this Sunday for it over the course open to all.

Never run the hill under the suspension bridge but could be interesting. As should the run along the ramparts after the boardwalk ends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭chez-moi

Salty Dog wrote: »
    Apparently one of the clubs in Drogehda (Drogheda and District AC I think) are holding a training run this Sunday for it over the course open to all.

Never run the hill under the suspension bridge but could be interesting. As should the run along the ramparts after the boardwalk ends.

Yes we are holding a training run over the course at 10am on Sunday morning. Meeting at the carpark of Oldbridge House. All are invited to join us. In fact the more the merrier. It should be a nice morning and it's a lovely spot for a run :)

Away on Sunday but planning to run the course tomorrow morning (perhaps without West Street depending on how early I get out!). I've alreadY seen a few people running that road this week..

chez-moi wrote: »
    Yes we are holding a training run over the course at 10am on Sunday morning. Meeting at the carpark of Oldbridge House. All are invited to join us. In fact the more the merrier. It should be a nice morning and it's a lovely spot for a run :)

Are you a member ? What's the club like/standard etc ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭chez-moi

I have been a member for a just over a year now. Have to say I really enjoy it. If I use the Great Ireland run as a guage 2 years agon I ran 51 minutes last year 49 minutes and am down to 44 this year, so they've brough me on. There's a good friendly athmosphere. Have a look at www.droghedaanddistrictac.com, it has a list of training times and venues. We also have a facebook page.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,498 ✭✭✭The Davestator

This will be a beautiful run, lovely scenery. Cant do it myself, but good luck to all who are. Hopefully, it'll become a regular on the calendar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭bart simpson

This will be a beautiful run, lovely scenery. Cant do it myself, but good luck to all who are. Hopefully, it'll become a regular on the calendar
    its disappointing that its €35....i would have done it if it was €20 or under...whats more i would imagine they would make the same money if they charged less because more people would do it and the race would have a more solid base for future years to make sustainale income longterm

its disappointing that its €35....i would have done it if it was €20 or under...whats more i would imagine they would make the same money if they charged less because more people would do it and the race would have a more solid base for future years to make sustainale income longterm

Agreed that €35 is a bit steep and it would have attracted more runners if priced at the €20 mark. However, I think that all the proceeds are going towards Goal so it's a good cause. I'm going to run it as it would be great to see it become a yearly event (being a stones throw from my house).

Ran the course this morning. Probably helped by the fact that it's such a beautiful morning but it's a very enjoyable course - nice mix of running through town and then back out along the river (absolutely idyllic this morning, had it all to myself bar a few swans!).

Just a note to anyone running the course, the only real hill comes after 1.5km and lasts for about 1km (from just after the bridge as far as the school). I'd advise taking it handy on the hill given that it comes early - the course becomes much faster afterwards and you can get into your stride running down the other side of the hill!

Profile of the course can be seen here:
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/31037348

Agreed that €35 is a bit steep and it would have attracted more runners if priced at the €20 mark. However, I think that all the proceeds are going towards Goal so it's a good cause.

+1 on the price but it is a good cause

• Advertisement

Ran the course this morning. Probably helped by the fact that it's such a beautiful morning but it's a very enjoyable course - nice mix of running through town and then back out along the river (absolutely idyllic this morning, had it all to myself bar a few swans!).

How tough is the hill under the suspension bridge say compared to running up Rathmullan Rd from the play ground ? What's the ground like after the new boardwalk finishes

How tough is the hill under the suspension bridge say compared to running up Rathmullan Rd from the play ground ? What's the ground like after the new boardwalk finishes

Hill from the suspension bridge is more gradual than the hill up the Rathmullan Road - it's not too bad at all to be honest and you can't beat the feeling of pelting back down the other side!

The ground after the boardwalk isn't too bad - it's small loose gravel but I found it ok to run on. It has dried right out since earlier in the year (was a couple of pools of water on it) so hopefully it'll stay dry for the week.

Hill from the suspension bridge is more gradual than the hill up the Rathmullan Road - it's not too bad at all to be honest and you can't beat the feeling of pelting back down the other side!

The ground after the boardwalk isn't too bad - it's small loose gravel but I found it ok to run on. It has dried right out since earlier in the year (was a couple of pools of water on it) so hopefully it'll stay dry for the week.

Thanks for that. Had planned on running it but only starting back after 11 weeks out so will probably give it a miss. Pity especially as its on home turf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

Hoping to enter but I think the final date has come and gone...or will they keep letting people in until the hit the 1,000 mark?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 318 ✭✭HuntingDrog

Am a newbie to running have been following the higdon 10k plan novice plan to enter this event. Long run today planned of 5.5 miles. Not a member of any club and just been running on my own. Goal is to break 60 mins.

Would I look silly and be too slow to turn up today to do the training run with those club members?

klong wrote: »
    Hoping to enter but I think the final date has come and gone...or will they keep letting people in until the hit the 1,000 mark?

They are taking registrations in the Laurence Centre on Friday & Saturday
    Registration will be at the Laurence Town Centre on Friday 30 April and Saturday 1 May between 10:30 and 16:30 each day. You can pick up your race number and your chip and information for the race day.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

If you are looking for volunteers to act as stewards etc, you should consider asking your local reserve defence forces unit in drogheda. They may be able to provide personel free of charge to you. 67 Reserve Infantry Battalion, Sluagh Hall drogheda, the HQ company is located there. Phone number is 042-9332296 a phone call wont hurt, may be they cant help you but it never hurts to ask.

How did people get on? Very happy with my own time, first 10k race I've done. Huge number of people there on the day

yeah i done it yesterday. Have to say I was v impressed with the organisation. Great route, good turnout and the weather came right. The samba band around the park was a good lift.
    Hopefully it will be on every year.

Was delighted with how i ran too - first time doing a 10k too and will not be the last.

yeah i done it yesterday. Have to say I was v impressed with the organisation. Great route, good turnout and the weather came right. The samba band around the park was a good lift.
    Hopefully it will be on every year.

Was delighted with how i ran too - first time doing a 10k too and will not be the last.

Can only agree with the above - had wondered how well organised the event would be given that it was the first time but it was really well run - a lot of work obviously put in behind the scenes.

Lovely route - only comparison I have is the Great Ireland Run Phoenix Park 10k which I found a bit of a slog as it was very much uphill for the second half. Enjoyed the mix of country road then town before ending with that lovely run along the ramparts.

Would love to know how many took part - there are 675 or so listed on the results section of the site but seemed to be a lot more than that.

Here's hoping it'll be on again next year - I know a quite a few people locally who said they'll run having seen how well it went on Saturday.

• Advertisement

there are 675 or so listed on the results section of the site but seemed to be a lot more than that.
    ...totally agree. There was definitley more than that amount.
    Here's hoping it'll be on again next year - I know a quite a few people locally who said they'll run having seen how well it went on Saturday.
    ....same here. The wife is a novice too and was debating to start or not-she was afraid of looking foolish. However, now she's inspired after looking at the turnout!

It was great that it coincided with the Drogheda Arts Festival-got more folks into the town and created a good atmosphere on Sunday morning.

I did think it was a bit odd giving us crisps and Red Bull in our goodie bags at the end, would have preferred some sort of sugary drink myself. My only other gripe relates to the timings as provided on the website. Timed myself on my stopwatch, have a feeling the timers started when the "go" was given, rather than when each individual crossed the start line. For those at the back, or anywhere near the back, that could mean a big difference to their times. Mine was 20+ seconds.

Would agree with ye both- I heard there were 800+ signed up for the run, wonder where they all went!

I did think it was a bit odd giving us crisps and Red Bull in our goodie bags at the end, would have preferred some sort of sugary drink myself. My only other gripe relates to the timings as provided on the website. Timed myself on my stopwatch, have a feeling the timers started when the "go" was given, rather than when each individual crossed the start line. For those at the back, or anywhere near the back, that could mean a big difference to their times. Mine was 20+ seconds.

Would agree with ye both- I heard there were 800+ signed up for the run, wonder where they all went!

From looking at the group setup for the run on facebook and comparing the time I took against what was recorded (I had myself 11 seconds quicker than the time posted), I think it's pretty certain that the timing was started 'on the gun'. I would imagine that there was only one 'activation' of the chip itself and that was on crossing the finishing line. I would presume this is probably a cheaper option than the start/stop activation you have at events such as the Great Ireland Run and is probably something of a tradeoff that is made when the numbers are below a certain level...

Edit: Just doing some reading up on this..

See http://www.aimsworldrunning.org/race_timing.htm
    Note the difference between 'gun times' (brutto) and 'chip times' (netto) and the consequences of using either or both. IAAF recognises only 'gun times', the time elapsed from when the timing system is activated by a starting signal to when the finish system picks up a signal from runner's transponder. All official results should be reported with gun times, and rounded up to the nearest whole second.

Thanks for that. Doesn't make sense to me but there you go.

Wondering now if I'll appear in any photographs...

Thanks for that. Doesn't make sense to me but there you go.

Wondering now if I'll appear in any photographs...

Agreed. I think went it goes on about 'official' results, this is for races where everyone starts together (i.e. not races where you have large numbers of people effectively queued waiting to start)..

Do you know if the pics of the race will be published online anywhere?

There's a few on the Boyne 10k Facebook page, mainly of people who were behind me though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Wool

Very enjoyable run

• Registered Users Posts: 2 dl1335

Am a newbie to running have been following the higdon 10k plan novice plan to enter this event. Long run today planned of 5.5 miles. Not a member of any club and just been running on my own. Goal is to break 60 mins.

Would I look silly and be too slow to turn up today to do the training run with those club members?

You most certainly will not. Everyone has to start somewhere. Drogheda and District AC is looking for new members at the moment and is following up on the training people did for the Boyne 10k by preparing for the Adidas Race series in the Phoenix Park. Go the the website for the contact details and drop them an email. 'you'll be glad you called' ;)

Newly updated times are on the website, mine improved by 35 seconds :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 BaltimoreJack

Excellent race. Great route and really well organised. Probably needed a few more loos as the ditch was the best option if u didn't want to face a long queue...but thats really being picky! An early sunday morning start (10am) was also good. Defo do it again next year....probably needs more advertisment among sports clubs and gyms outside of Drogheda. for its 1st year, you'd find it hard to fault. The tour bus cutting through the field before the start was comical though :D

Newly updated times are on the website, mine improved by 35 seconds :)

Mine by 11!
    Initial times were gun times whereas they have now also posted the chip times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Hi all,

Is this being held again in 2011 and if so what date has been selected? The http://www.boyne10k.ie website doesn't state a date for 2011.

Also, assuming the Boyne 10k is on around May 2011 I'm looking to do 3 more 10k's next year, one if Feb, one in Sept and one in Nov. Can be fun runs or slightly more serious. I'm a casual runner and will do 10k in about 70 mins. Would appreciate any recommendations. I'm based in Dublin but happy to travel for a good event.

Ben

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 oidong

Hi,

Just to let you know the date for the Boyne 10K has been set for Sunday 1st of May 2011. The course will be a little bit different in that that the start and finish will be in the town and it will be a loop out to the Obelix bridge and back in via the Ramparts. All details (including details of entering online) will be posted on the website (http://www.boyne10k.ie) shortly just as soon as the final details, such as exact start-time have been confirmed.

Over 800 ran last year and it is hoped even more will join in next year!

great stuff. i'll be there. really enjoyed this last year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

oidong wrote: »
    Hi,

Just to let you know the date for the Boyne 10K has been set for Sunday 1st of May 2011. The course will be a little bit different in that that the start and finish will be in the town and it will be a loop out to the Obelix bridge and back in via the Ramparts. All details (including details of entering online) will be posted on the website (http://www.boyne10k.ie) shortly just as soon as the final details, such as exact start-time have been confirmed.

Over 800 ran last year and it is hoped even more will join in next year!

Enjoyed this earlier in the year it would be great to see someone in the area organise it's own half/full marathon as i think it would do well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Great to hear it's being run again. Was my 2nd 10K last year and really enjoyed it and liked the course going through the town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

This is down as 1st March on RunIreland - http://www.runireland.com/events/boyne-10k-2011

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭louthandproud

zAbbo wrote: »
    This is down as 1st March on RunIreland - http://www.runireland.com/events/boyne-10k-2011

Think it's a typo it also says May 1st in the description.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Think it's a typo it also says May 1st in the description.

That makes sense, I only saw it on RI when looking for something nearby in March.

I'm doing the Dundalk half in May, so that rules this one out

Advertisement