Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy some Devcon 10110 epoxy

Options
  • 15-01-2010 5:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to buy some Devcon 10110 epoxy steel putty to bed a rifle.

Any ideas where I can buy the stuff??????????

Radionics or Farnell don't have it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 nip102

Have a 400g jar of Devcon Epoxy Resin left from a recent job. I bought a few boxes direct from devcon.

Was using it to bed motors and repair bearing surfaces, it has no product code on it though, so I dont know how it compares to 10100 or if it is 10100. This is a high strenght 2 component epoxy pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭ejg

Clive if that devcon from nip is with a fairly long pot life (24hr cure) it would do.
    If you come across epoxy that has been too long on the shelf, put each component (I mean the container) into hot water and heat up to at least 60 C. Then cool down and use. Epoxy is sometimes a bit like honey and cristallizes when it ages.
    Devcon is not the only bedding material.

edi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

clivej wrote: »
    I'm looking to buy some Devcon 10110 epoxy steel putty to bed a rifle.

Any ideas where I can buy the stuff??????????

Radionics or Farnell don't have it.

il be telling john greene on you.

i would piler bed it also clive if your going that far.but then again does the gun shoot tight .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

nip102 wrote: »
    Have a 400g jar of Devcon Epoxy Resin left from a recent job. I bought a few boxes direct from devcon.

Was using it to bed motors and repair bearing surfaces, it has no product code on it though, so I dont know how it compares to 10100 or if it is 10100. This is a high strenght 2 component epoxy pack.

From what I have seen the code 10110 should be on the outside of the big tub.

31aMiu6nKlL._SL500_AA250_.jpg
    jwshooter wrote: »
    il be telling john greene on you.

i would piler bed it also clive if your going that far.but then again does the gun shoot tight .

Hi JW
    Yes I will be pillar bedding as well AND John G is out of stock so I'm trying to sorce some myself.

Good pillar bedding tutorial here

http://www.6mmbr.com/pillarbedding.html

• Registered Users Posts: 23 nip102

Its still fairly fresh, use by date of 07/2011.

I bought a large quatity of tubs direct from Devcon for a big industrial project so the tubs are just marked Epoxy Resin. The particular application was for leveling and supporting the bearing surfaces for a large motor over 20 tonnes in weight. When it sets it is as hard as steel and can be machined as such, so I think its up to the job.

The total curing time is a few hours as far as I recall, but workability of the mixed paste is gone in about 10 minutes or so.

Anyhow if you dont have any luck finding what you require, get in touch and we can sort something out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

is j.b weld any use ? i do see it in halfords etc and used it once as a tempory fix on a cracked engine casing . it seemed very hard when i went to level it out later with files.

rowa wrote: »
    is j.b weld any use ? i do see it in halfords etc and used it once as a tempory fix on a cracked engine casing . it seemed very hard when i went to level it out later with files.

Any of the site about bedding all use the Devcon 10110 so I'll use that if I can get it.

Thanks rowa

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

JB weld is great stuff,if you want to fix broken mounts or worn threads in holes or screws.[fill ,re drill,re tap].Wouldnt be the job for a glass bed job.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Tackleberry.

they have aplace in Shannon Co,Clare

http://www.clarecdb.ie/businessdir/showCompany.asp?CompanyID=7888

give them a buzz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭meathshooter

clive try this http://www.scorehi.com/ its the site I got my bedding from quick shipping .I used it on the .243 worked a treat you shot the rifle yourself.also they do pillars aswell.Which rifle you bedding

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

I've emailed a crowd in the USA, see what they have to say.

i know a place i used to work in used all sorts of strange glues and fillers , they got most of them from places that stock stuff for boating and yachts , might be worth a ring-a-round .

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭kakashka

I use Devcon Titanium,a bit lighter and does not corrode

clive try this http://www.scorehi.com/ its the site I got my bedding from quick shipping .I used it on the .243 worked a treat you shot the rifle yourself.also they do pillars aswell.Which rifle you bedding

The website says they don't ship outside of the states now. :mad:

And your 243 is a great gun. cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭meathshooter

drop them an email they shipped to me dont know if that has changed but I have seen there same product on sinclare international made a big difference to my gun really tightened groups

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

Brownells in the US have there own bedding compound. Ive used it several times n its great stuff. Its far cheaper than devcon 10610 which they also have. I order stuff every few weeks from them if your interested ill throw it in with my order and it should save you a few on shipping

Brownells in the US have there own bedding compound. Ive used it several times n its great stuff. Its far cheaper than devcon 10610 which they also have. I order stuff every few weeks from them if your interested ill throw it in with my order and it should save you a few on shipping

Thanks GunHappy
    I may take up up on that offer.

I have a contact that is getting me a pot from the states soon so if that falls though I will get back to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭HughF

Cotter Marketing Ltd
    Lehenaghmore Ind Est
    Togher
    Cork
    Ireland
    Tel: +353 (0) 214964844
    Fax: +353 (0) 214964715

The supply a firm in Ballymount Ind Estate (Dublin) with it. They are willing and egar to sell to members of the public. They also have the official release agent. I used the Plastic Putty and it works a treat.

Hugh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Glensman

Pillar bedding doesn't look all that easy!

Glensman wrote: »
    Pillar bedding doesn't look all that easy!

Stress-Free Pillar Bedding
    Richard Franklin's Step-by-Step Guide to Pillar Bedding

beddingfinal.jpg

• Advertisement

did you find the devcon you were looking for clivej and if so where ?

clivej wrote: »
    Stress-Free Pillar Bedding
    Richard Franklin's Step-by-Step Guide to Pillar Bedding

beddingfinal.jpg

I read that last night clive, maybe I need to read it again with fresher eyes- I wasn't really following the pillar part of the job...

My plan is to order 3 tubs from Brownells today- that'll be the most I can take home cos they're 1Lb each. :cool:

rowa wrote: »
    did you find the devcon you were looking for clivej and if so where ?

Friend of a friend is getting me a tube in from the US, other than that I couldn't find anywhere to buy in the UK.
    John Greene the gunsmith said he was getting a box in from a new source soon but I can't wait that long.

I read that last night clive, maybe I need to read it again with fresher eyes- I wasn't really following the pillar part of the job...

My plan is to order 3 tubs from Brownells today- that'll be the most I can take home cos they're 1Lb each. :cool:

Have a search on Youtube for pillar bedding there's plenty of vids to put you right.

Bedding Video 1-8. This series of vids will give you an idea of how to.
    I would also use two pillars for the action screws and cut away a small part of the stock to accept the Devcon Epoxy under where the action sits.

it seemed the other guy i was watchin last night was adding extra bolts/recoil lugs? Just went through all those videos and I think what I'll do is add a good glass bed to the action and Maybe free-float the barrel.

Would there be an advantage to bedding the whole length of the barrel?

it seemed the other guy i was watchin last night was adding extra bolts/recoil lugs? Just went through all those videos and I think what I'll do is add a good glass bed to the action and Maybe free-float the barrel.

i think the people who used to use the lee enfields for long range target shooting used cork under the full length of the barrel , it was fultons who did this to the best of my knowledge , and i did see a rifle so marked .

I was thinking more along the lines of using Devcon the length of the channel. I like the idea of free floating. But I dont like the idea of rain and crap bein in the channel.

I was thinking more along the lines of using Devcon the length of the channel. I like the idea of free floating. But I dont like the idea of rain and crap bein in the channel.

if the timber is sealed it shouldn't do any harm , thats the point of free floating in the first place , so when the moisture moves the wood there is still a gap between the barrel and stock and your point of impact doesn't shift .

There is life after devcon...
    I prefer to mix my own laminating or bedding materials.
    Starting with a high quality epoxy resin with a very long pot life.
    One can fill all sorts of fillers or fibers to achieve what is usefull
    for the application.
    Dual role with the same resin all in one go, for example reinforcing
    the forend and bedding area of a walnut stock and bedding at the same time. The unfilled resin soaks the carbon and glass fibers. The bedding area above the fibers can be filled with high content of short glass, short carbon, metall powder or even ceramic.
    DSCN1175.jpg

DSCN1174.jpg

Or with a composite stock that does not need pillars because they are integrated. Bedded with a lightweight carbon epoxy mix. Complete bedded stock after duracoating and with buttpad fitted, 812 grams.
    DSCN2025.jpg

edi

I do not think that a full channel bed would work well for the reasons that Rowa said. The barrel channel gap between the barrel and stock must be big enough soas to never touch each other. Look at some of the Tube type front end stocks a big gap in place there.

ejg wrote: »
    There is life after devcon...
    I prefer to mix my own laminating or bedding materials.
    Starting with a high quality epoxy resin with a very long pot life.
    One can fill all sorts of fillers or fibers to achieve what is usefull
    for the application.
    Dual role with the same resin all in one go, for example reinforcing
    the forend and bedding area of a walnut stock and bedding at the same time. The unfilled resin soaks the carbon and glass fibers. The bedding area above the fibers can be filled with high content of short glass, short carbon, metall powder or even ceramic.

edi

Hi Edi
    The reason for me wanting the Devcon it is used by a lot of people that bed stocks and if I use it then that's one more part of the process I don't have to worry about, my first time to try a bedding job.

I like the idea of you using Kevlar/carbon in the barrel channel to strengthen it up. But I would think the barrel channel must be plenty big in the first place to make sure it does not touch the barrel.

This is the Sako 75 laminated stock that I bought off ebay that I intend to do the bedding work on. Got it at a good price £104 + postage.

stock75.jpg

• Advertisement

Clive I have a stock similar to that lying around, they are plenty stiff in the forend. As you say just have plenty clearance around the barrel.
    Don't skimp on metall pillars in that stock. Not much work making up a set.
    Let me know if you need help.
    edi

Advertisement