Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spars destroying the city?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

Ha ha that link is great, what a bunch of whinging idiots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭bangersandmash

cork45 wrote: »
    Ha ha that link is great, what a bunch of whinging idiots.
    So I take it you're a fan of the aesthetics of Spar shop fronts then? Or you just couldn't give a damn about the environment in which you live, once your local Spar stocks Dutch Gold? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Red_Marauder

I don't know what the Dutch Gold comment has to do with anything.

I don't have a problem with the signage in those images, especially since most of them are in very built up areas in the city centre and don't have nearly as significant an adverse architectural impact as some other structures in this city. Or even the fact that these shops their very selves are occupying what could be some very attractive buildings on our national thoroughfare (side by side with Dr Quirkey's). Surely signage is a rather tiny gripe in comparison with that, for example?

I imagine that a lot of people, like myself, just think that Dublin has far more serious, and longterm, architectural eyesores than its shop signs. To complain about these signs in light of that does actually seem a little petty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

So I take it you're a fan of the aesthetics of Spar shop fronts then? Or you just couldn't give a damn about the environment in which you live, once your local Spar stocks Dutch Gold? :rolleyes:

I was just about to reply to your post but Red_Marauder's post sum's it all up tbh.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

They're signs... I don't get the fuss?

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,216 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The fuss is about the fact that Dublin City Council have an agreed set of rules to do with signage but appear to not enforce them, or enforce them in a haphazard way.

Have you seen any of the promised 'hundreds' of JC Decaux signs being removed in exchange for those hideous one legged Metropoles? Perhaps they forgot about that in DCC.

It's symptomatic of the sloppy attitude to what have been previously rightly described as bigger eyesores.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

DCC is about as incompetent as a city council could get.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭xoxyx

If it's true, I find it very odd that Spar's signs are unauthorised. It's the sign for Spar. That's what they put in front of their shop. It's their logo. What did anyone think they'd put up??
    If it's really not authorised and it's gone this far, then there are a whole pile of people whose heads should roll (or, at least, tilt over sideways a bit) before Spar gets allocated any blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

a fine example of the dunce kind who try to act posh/respectable/intelligent, etc., but have little or limited life experience.

Just because someone finds it laughable people can moan about a chain of shops and even refer to the environment,as if they are the bloody cause of global warming or something :rolleyes:

They are signs, get over it.
    The End

Oh for the record, do you drink Dutch Gold Cork? I reckon it was quite a very good point that might hinder everything I just said if you did. [/sarcasm]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

I think they are quite unsightly. They are cheap and tacky and contribute to whole streets looking cheap and tacky. But Spar are far from the only offenders. The worst for me (and I think it's on the referred thread too) was the Eurocycles huge plastic sign on South William St. Thankfully replaced with something better now.

Better signage (and better shopfronts in general - the theme of the Archiseek thread) would have the opposite effect and raise the tone of an area in a subtle but very real way.

It makes me angry that DCC doesn't seem concerned with enforcing it's own decisions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Camarague

Jay D wrote: »
    Just because someone finds it laughable people can moan about a chain of shops and even refer to the environment,as if they are the bloody cause of global warming or something :rolleyes:

They are signs, get over it.
    The End
    [/sarcasm]

It is an architecture forum. Architects are people who care about design. Hence the discussion of design on the architecture forum

Whatever you think of the signs, the fact that they deliberately skirt the rules with so-called "Temporary signage", is a pernicious tactic that should be stopped.

They are bringing down the appearance of OUR city.

Some of us care about our city and believe that the spread of gaudy signage is worth discussion.
    And if you don't give a sh*t about the environment in which you live, that's your choice. But referring to those who care as 'whingers' is plain rude.

OK?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

While yes, in a perfect world, it'd be dealt with, DCC is criminally incompetent and I'd rather they spent what little time they actually work on more serious issues.
    Of course, rather than pissing and moaning about it we could do something. Plenty of unemployed law grads out there, it's a pity this country has no real culture of pro-bono and charity work. In America you'd likely get an action group going to prosecute the offenders if the city wasn't enforcing it's own statutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭je suis awesome

dublin is a kip, easily the most ugly capital i've been in, but has some great parts to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

That thread over at archiseek was a very interesting read. Informative, entertaining and downright depressing.

Dublin City Centre is in bits with shít signage alone.

Having read the thread I can't see one mention of any of the spawning Spars/Londis's/Centras being fined over the blatant flouting of so-called planning laws.
    These places seemingly sling up any old plastic sign some of them 'on a temporary basis' for years and years.

I remember being thereatened with '00s euro of a fine over a satellite dish on an apartment block years ago though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

Camarague wrote: »
    It is an architecture forum. Architects are people who care about design. Hence the discussion of design on the architecture forum

Whatever you think of the signs, the fact that they deliberately skirt the rules with so-called "Temporary signage", is a pernicious tactic that should be stopped.

Some of us care about our city and believe that the spread of gaudy signage is worth discussion.
    And if you don't give a sh*t about the environment in which you live, that's your choice. But referring to those who care as 'whingers' is plain rude.

OK?
    Oh noes an innernet arguement....

Maybe you should set up a facebook page and demand 100,000 members in order to stop it. You'll feel your job is then done at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

they are quite ugly alright, yes they are "only signs" but they are everywhere in city and DCC should probably clamp down on them.
    If the signs dont bother you good for you. While dublin isnt the prettiest city id prefer if they tried to improve it. It would benefit locals and tourists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Carter96

Of all the things going on in Dublin and you feel this strongly about FCUCKING SPAR SIGNS!?! Think about it. :rolleyes:

Maybe in a perfect Dublin we could address 'gaudy signage' after we've addressed the important issues.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Carter96 wrote: »
    Of all the things going on in Dublin and you feel this strongly about FCUCKING SPAR SIGNS!?! Think about it. :rolleyes:

Maybe in a perfect Dublin we could address 'gaudy signage' after we've addressed the important issues.

well yes they look absolutely disgusting and they're all over the city centre. Absolutely tasteless. It reflects the people who live here, I don't see why they can't tone them done a bit. I have already written to DCC about this, but they never respond to anything I send to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Well, there is also the argument that millions has been spent on the city centre to improve and upgrade its image and yet another spar/centra/londis pops up and shoves a huge, gaudy sign on - no matter where it's located (street/building type etc)
    The point of the thread in the OP was that DCC has mouthed off about their blueprints for signage/building especially for the city centre, yet these franchises can stick up anything on a 'temporary basis' and nothing is done for years on end.

Not only Spars etc but they are the most obvious.

Carter96 wrote: »

People are concerned about different things. question is why do you seem to feel so strongly about people who dislike tacky signs???
    Nearly sounds like you are saying "nobody should care about anything until the things I deem really important are dealt with"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭sunnyjim

adamski8 wrote: »
    they are quite ugly alright, yes they are "only signs" but they are everywhere in city and DCC should probably clamp down on them.
    If the signs dont bother you good for you. While dublin isnt the prettiest city id prefer if they tried to improve it. It would benefit locals and tourists.

Just look at O'Connell St even. th big burger king shopfront, all the tacky plastic signs above shops. Makes it look awful.

I love college green, particularly the stretch between Doyles pub and the bank on the corner. No tacky hoardings or 'vibrant' glowing red(spar), green and blue(centra) or white and green(londis) plastic spread over half the building.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I'm not really bothered by Spars but I do think it's kinda hilarious how many there are in Dublin.

I used to live in Ringsend and there are four Spars within probably a 1km radius - Ringsend itself, Irishtown, Barrow Street and part of the new Docklands development thingie on Pearse Street. Only the Ringsend Spar is a small one. Can't think of any others between there and Tara Street, but no doubt there is.

Edit: there are a few. And also two in Sandymount.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I hate the Spar & Centra take over and mourn the demise of our locally owned and unique newsagents. It is horribly homogenising our city into a sea of Gaudy red & greenish blue.
    I work down at the Point and the only thing there at the moment is a minging Spar and equally minging Insomnia coffee. Hurry up and open up more shops please :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭howiya

Camarague wrote: »

OK?

Are these the same architects that designed all new office/apartment blocks to have ground floor retail space thus adding to the proliferation of spars and centras

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

To be honest, I'd much prefer to have big franchises like Spars and Centras with ugly signage than little local shops. I find it annoying in foreign cities that newsagents are few and far between, and when you do find one, they're dirty and badly stocked. I realise I'm going to be given out to for being a capitalist or something, but big franchises give better service, and if an ugly sign is the price we have to pay, I can accept that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭sunnyjim

Wow, electrogrimey has just rocked my world.

A promoter of Seomra Spraoi and a capitalist.

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

If I had a choice between going to a local shop, or a francise, I'd choose the local shop anyday if it was as good. But local shops in other countries don't have ATMs, Delis, off-licenses etc. It's a shame, but it's true. In Europe they seem to go to supermarkets a lot more, they don't seem to have the mid-range shops like Centras and Spars.

Oops, may have completely derailed this thread...:o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Mr.S wrote: »
    Are you for real?

I live by a Spar and have never noticed, could not give 2 ****s.

I walk by numerous Spars every day in the city center, again, do no care.

Its a sign ffs. If it was huge, glowing and making some random song, then mabey you can kick up a fuss. But its a sign. It does nothing.

i bet you're a really classy guy

To be honest, I'd much prefer to have big franchises like Spars and Centras with ugly signage than little local shops. I find it annoying in foreign cities that newsagents are few and far between, and when you do find one, they're dirty and badly stocked. I realise I'm going to be given out to for being a capitalist or something, but big franchises give better service, and if an ugly sign is the price we have to pay, I can accept that.
    Yeah i totally agree with you except why cant we have these shops without the ugly signage?
    These shops are making enough money from us at least they could play by the rules
    Mr.S wrote: »
    Are you for real?

I live by a Spar and have never noticed, could not give 2 ****s.

I walk by numerous Spars every day in the city center, again, do no care.

Its a sign ffs. If it was huge, glowing and making some random song, then mabey you can kick up a fuss. But its a sign. It does nothing.
    Ah so this is the criteria where which you would notice these signs eh?
    Think why people are complaining is that these signs are against planning permission or are claiming they are temporary signage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭howiya

adamski8 wrote: »
    Yeah i totally agree with you except why cant we have these shops without the ugly signage?
    These shops are making enough money from us at least they could play by the rules

I know that these signs don't have permission but it is perfectly reasonable to assume that if Spar did have planning permission that their signage would still be ugly.

Planning permission doesn't necessarily mean they will be nicer

Advertisement