Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spars destroying the city?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Don't have a romantic attachment to older shops if that's what you mean - if a new shop offer convenient access to shopping: game on but I do agree that if shops are in older areas of Dublin, they should try and tailor their appearance so that they fit in with the surrounds and are as tasteful as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

All of them newsagents are an eyesore. Probably only in Dublin could you have two of the same shop across the road from one another. And it's not even that big of a street considering other EU countries!

I'll keep on voting for someone likely to oppose these horrid things. Unless someone wants to gimme money to sue the bastards I don't know what else to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

howiya wrote: »
    I know that these signs don't have permission but it is perfectly reasonable to assume that if Spar did have planning permission that their signage would still be ugly.

Planning permission doesn't necessarily mean they will be nicer

I believe there's a whole load of rules and regs about premises (any premises not just Spars etc) needing to have their signage blend in with the building and surrounds. This isn't happening at all.

It's yet another indicator of how shít the administrative system is in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭yermanoffthetv

Its the "sign of the times"I guess. Hioooo :D But yea you see it all across the country with all the trendy cafes and boutiques closed down and replaced by spars and pound shops. Nothing you can do about that, but as was said before, they should at least try to blend in with the surroundings.They're obviously doing decent business if they can be opening up new stores so they can afford to build a suitable front instead of the horribly tacky plastic signage. And to people who say it doesnt really matter, which one would you rather live beside?

dscn1563zi1.jpg
    VS
    Spar__High_Street_12.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,077 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Won't someone think of the children!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭1968

It's slightly different with newsagents but the continuing expansion and dominance of multi national chains like Spar, Londis etc... in Dublin is helping the city to become just another Clone Town, a place where the "the individuality of high street shops has been replaced by a monochrome strip of global and national chains".

Personally I prefer the Steps of Rome to Apache Pizza, Captain America's to McDonalds, Simon's Place to Starbucks, Chapters Bookshop to Waterstones and Freebird Records to HMV. This is what makes Dublin different to any other city in Ireland or the U.K.

I'm also glad of the fact that Wetherspoons or any other pub chains haven't been able to open up in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭JamBur

dublin is a kip, easily the most ugly capital i've been in, but has some great parts to it.

You obviously haven't travelled too far so!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭howiya

1968 wrote: »
    I'm also glad of the fact that Wetherspoons or any other pub chains haven't been able to open up in Dublin.

Yes its great that we continue to be ripped off whenever we chose to go out for a pint :rolleyes:

howiya wrote: »
    Yes its great that we continue to be ripped off whenever we chose to go out for a pint :rolleyes:

I'd rather pay a little bit more to drink in a pub with character, history and a barman who knows your name rather than some monotonous McPub.

(If you want cheap pints - Eddie Rockets, Sub Lounge, Messer Maguires, Cafe Royal and Purty Kitchen)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭howiya

I'd rather pay a little bit more to drink in a pub with character, history and a barman who knows your name rather than some monotonous McPub.

(If you want cheap pints - Eddie Rockets, Sub Lounge, Messer Maguires, Cafe Royal and Purty Kitchen)

Your missing the point. If wetherspoons entered the market prices in all pubs would be likely to fall.

I would rather not drink in any of the venues you have mentioned

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭crushproof

Why would not like to drink the venues mentioned?! Where would you usuaklly drink?!

DCC really need to get into gear and begin to force shops to have signage thats aesthetically pleases the rest of the street. To be honest I've travelled alot and you really don't see the high amount of takcy plastic signage in most other European cities I've been to. Nor do you see a Spar opposite another Spar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

It's slightly different with newsagents but the continuing expansion and dominance of multi national chains like Spar, Londis etc... in Dublin is helping the city to become just another Clone Town, a place where the "[/size]the individuality of high street shops has been replaced by a monochrome strip of global and national chains".

Personally I prefer the Steps of Rome to Apache Pizza, Captain America's to McDonalds, Simon's Place to Starbucks, Chapters Bookshop to Waterstones and Freebird Records to HMV. This is what makes Dublin different to any other city in Ireland or the U.K.

Erm, Cork has far more independent shops than Dublin, the latter just looks like a clone of your average UK city. The biggest thing I miss about living in Cork is the variety of locally run shops, as well as the multinationals, not to mention the English Market, something that is without equal in any Irish city (bu... bu... farmers market), and something I like least about living in Dublin is the sterile offering of shops, cafés, etc.

Anyway, on the point about Spar, there can be too many in one area, for my taste. I live in Rathmines and I am in within 5 mins walking distance of four.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Someone should post in legal about the possibility of pursuing statutes privately rather than relying on DCC doing it.
    I know I'd be happy to support such a cause, and you could probably find solicitors these days desperate for work that'd do it for a song.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Erm, Cork has far more independent shops than Dublin, the latter just looks like a clone of your average UK city. The biggest thing I miss about living in Cork is the variety of locally run shops, as well as the multinationals, not to mention the English Market, something that is without equal in any Irish city (bu... bu... farmers market), and something I like least about living in Dublin is the sterile offering of shops, cafés, etc.
    I disagree - I don't think there's much difference between Dublin and Cork in most of the respects you mention. I can't think of many locally run shops in Cork at all - I think they have been filtered out by chain shops in the same way as Dublin.
    I also disagree with the UK clone assertion - I think that applies to parts of Belfast city centre all right, but not Dublin.

I do agree though that it's easier to find an O'Briens or an Insomnia or Café Sol in Dublin than it is to find a nice one-off café, but they're there all right - you just have to look that bit harder.

Dudess wrote: »
    I disagree - I don't think there's much difference between Dublin and Cork in most of the respects you mention. I can't think of many locally run shops in Cork at all - I think they have been filtered out by chain shops in the same way as Dublin.
    I also disagree with the UK clone assertion - I think that applies to parts of Belfast city centre all right, but not Dublin.

I do agree though that it's easier to find an O'Briens or an Insomnia or Café Sol in Dublin than it is to find a nice one-off café, but they're there all right - you just have to look that bit harder.

We must be on about different Corks, then. I'm on about the one in the south of Ireland. The one which I just visited with my born n'bred Dublin girlfriend who frequently remarked how great it was that there are so many local shops, as opposed to Dublin and how she wished Dublin was more like that. I find myself in complete agreement with her. If you are talking about the same Cork, then you don't seem to be paying very much attention or are spending too much time on Patrick Street.

I think it's on the way to becoming like that though.

We must be on about different Corks, then. I'm on about the one in the south of Ireland. The one which I just visited with my born n'bred Dublin girlfriend who frequently remarked how great it was that there are so many local shops, as opposed to Dublin and how she wished Dublin was more like that. I find myself in complete agreement with her. If you are talking about the same Cork, then you don't seem to be paying very much attention or are spending too much time on Patrick Street.
    Wasn't having a go at you. :)

Wasn't having a go at you. :)

Let's just say I strongly disagreed with you.

I honestly don't see much physical difference between Dublin and Cork (apart from the Spar/O'Briens/coffee chain overkill - although there are loads of O'Briens in Cork too, and it feels like Subway is actually taking over). And there are plenty of local shops in Dublin - e.g. Georges Street Arcade, Temple Bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Silly post. "erm" the biggest farmers market is in Dublin. You miss multinationals in Cork? There are literally hundreds of ethnic restaurants in Dublin, their prices are unbeatable, no other part of the country can beat the value.

Anyway, on the point about Spar, there can be too many in one area, for my taste. I live in Rathmines and I am in within 5 mins walking distance of four.

This is typical of someone who has moved to Dublin and judges the place on what they see when on their way in and out of work! Get out from behind the keyboard and see a bit of your capital!

Edit... off to Cork for the weekend, can't wait!

• Advertisement

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    well yes they look absolutely disgusting and they're all over the city centre. Absolutely tasteless. It reflects the people who live here

Speak for yourself Brazilanz... they may be ulgy, but they are not "destroying the city". Take my advice, try and avoid all supermarkets or chains, shop local, buy Irish, use butchers and fishmongers etc...

lightening wrote: »
    Silly post. "erm" the biggest farmers market is in Dublin

I was mimicking a person who would attempt to compare those things to real markets, such as the English Market. Farmers markets tend to sell the same over priced rubbish you find in any "organic" store on the street, but dress it up as some laughable "quaint ol'market" where city dwellers can get a taste of the country. They are a joke.
    You miss multinationals in Cork?

No, I don't. If you read my post correctly you will see what I said.
    There are literally hundreds of ethnic restaurants in Dublin, their prices are unbeatable, no other part of the country can beat the value.

The volume of them is hardly a boast. Dublin is the biggest city. It's like comparing London to Dublin for restaurant choice. Dublin is like a borough of London. And yet again I see another sweeping statement like "no other part of the country can beat the value". Another joke, and not a very good or accurate one. But since you like sweeping statements, here's another. Everyone in the country knows that Dublin has the highest cost of living, and that applies to restaurants too. However, I'm not saying that eating in Cork is better. Just that when it comes to independent stores, Cork just has more diversity.
    This is typical of someone who has moved to Dublin and judges the place on what they see when on their way in and out of work! Get out from behind the keyboard and see a bit of your capital!

Another generalisation. Another wide of the mark. I'll put it like this. I don't drink. I make it my business to find things to do where I live. I dare say I know more fun things to do in this city that don't involve pubs than your average Dub for this very reason.

I was mimicking a person who would attempt to compare those things to real markets, such as the English Market.

Stop sneering and mimicking and get back to me when you have checked out the farmers markets. And, what's so wrong with 'organic'? I eat wild game and fish all the time, you should try it, don't turn your nose up at stuff that is the traditional food of our ancestors!
    If you read my post correctly you will see what I said.

I did. I saw what you said.
    The volume of them is hardly a boast. Dublin is the biggest city.

Well then stop saying silly things like you miss the multinationals in Cork!
    Everyone in the country knows that Dublin has the highest cost of living, and that applies to restaurants too.

Incorrect. Get it and look at the blackboards. Incredible value, early birds everywhere, cheap tapas, all you can eat deals for ten Euro... etc... The competition is massive in the capital. Cork has always been expensive to eat out in.
    I dare say I know more fun things to do in this city that don't involve pubs than your average Dub for this very reason.

Well you seriously have to prove that yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭yermanoffthetv

Uh oh I can see where this thread is heading...

Internet_argument.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭bangersandmash

And likewise it sounds like you're spending too much time on Grafton Street and Henry Street - or simply misrepresenting for the sake of your argument. I'm actually surprised about your complaint about the lack of independent shops and variety given that you're familiar with Dublin 6, and not living on the fringes. Many suburban parts of Dublin have generous selections of independent shops, cafes, bakeries, fish-mongers and so on. Granted they are distributed across the city which is a natural result of the city sprawl, but it's not as they don't exist or that there is not a diverse choice available. Unfortunately many people - those from the city and especially those from other parts of the country - seem to make very little effort to seek them out.

To be frank if I want to visit an Irish city that has unique character distinctly unlike the capital, I visit Galway. If for some reason I want to visit a scaled-down replica of Dublin, there's always Cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭bangersandmash

Jay D wrote: »
    a fine example of the dunce kind who try to act posh/respectable/intelligent, etc., but have little or limited life experience.

Just because someone finds it laughable people can moan about a chain of shops and even refer to the environment,as if they are the bloody cause of global warming or something :rolleyes:
    Using the word dunce, and then completely failing to realise that the word 'environment' has a particular meaning in this context. Priceless :rolleyes:

@ Flamed diving RE; yermanoffthetv internet argument.

I AM mister Dublin is great - militant nut lately for some reason, don't know why. I don't mean to cause any offense or anything! And, I love Cork and what it has to offer. Great city, and amazing county.

:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

lightening i can't see your contribution here except for turning it into a Dublin is better than Cork argument. So the amount of Spars and ugly signage doesn't bother you, that's all you have to say. There are a lot of people who don't like the fact that the city has a Spar or Centra every few meters and have these offensive ugly signs in their faces. I know it doesn't bother you and we should stop whingeing etc. etc. but I really don't see why you are in this thread.

Oh and the incredible value that you harp on about continuously in our restaurants is nonsense. It's more expensive to eat out here than any city in the UK, even London looks like a steal compared to this place nowadays. I try not to complain about the prices here but when you are banging on about the amazing deals you get in restaurants here it becomes really irritating, as it's not really great value it's just cheaper than the usual extortionist prices charged in Ireland for food, but still way above what it should be, if you're lucky enough to get an early bird or something. And not everyone likes those manky restaurants on Parnell St.!

lightening i can't see your contribution here except for turning it into a Dublin is better than Cork argument.

Incorrect. They are different cities altogether, that's the beauty of diversity, they are different, I would hate Cork to be another Dublin and I would hate Dublin to be another London.
    So the amount of Spars and ugly signage doesn't bother you, that's all you have to say.

No, you are right, they are awful, that's why I suggested shopping in butchers, mongers etc..

[QUOTE=BraziliaNZ;64078304but I really don't see why you are in this thread.[/QUOTE]

If you have a problem with me in this thread report me or pm the mods.
    Oh and the incredible value that you harp on about continuously in our restaurants is nonsense. It's more expensive to eat out here than any city in the UK, even London looks like a steal compared to this place nowadays. I try not to complain about the prices here but when you are banging on about the amazing deals you get in restaurants here it becomes really irritating, as it's not really great value it's just cheaper than the usual extortionist prices charged in Ireland for food, but still way above what it should be, if you're lucky enough to get an early bird or something. And not everyone likes those manky restaurants on Parnell St.!

Don't read my posts if they irritate you. There is an ignore button I think. Other people read them and avail of the good deals to be got. You would be unlucky to miss the early birds! Had a great dinner on Friday night for two, 30 Euro including three bottles of beer. (not on Parnell st.)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Where is this Biggest Farmers Market in Dublin?

Advertisement