Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

An odd gremlin with monitor

• 15-01-2010 5:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

Basically I returned to my desk and the dell xps430 was in sleep mode, which is normal. However I tried to awaken it via mouse movement or key stroke.

The monitor did not come up fully. It had the auto detect and comp was running. I turned off comp and monitor was fine at the start showing basic loading system info, windows resuming.

Then it goes black on me and I panic - all toys out of pram etcetera!:D

I am about to try a different monitor when it all came good and started working agian.

I know all looks good now but any ideas what could have caused this?

Would it be more computer based than monitor based?

Not an expert here but I was not relishing calling Dell India!

Think it's time to extend the dell warranty! Only had the comp just under a year.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 h4ck573r

More details are needed...
    I am about to try a different monitor when it all came good and started working again.
    How long it didn't work, a minute?

What was the last thing you saw on monitor before it went blank?
    If it was during boot up for 10-15 seconds, if it is during log on than it is gpu driver related, both are normal.

Not coming back from sleep could indicate power failure,power not suporting that type of sleep mode ,bios failure, gpu bios failure, hard drive failure and so on.

If you saw a post on monitor immediately after restart, it reduces the chances of monitor failure.

There is one ease way to check if it is monitor, put it to sleep again, wait 10 minutes, press num lock, if it does not change the led indication on keyboard it is pc related, that is if it does not resumes.

In any way it is not fatal, and would be just a miner glitch, not covered by warranty since it works now and will work when they test it.

Give me more information and i will give you more accurate answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

Download the monitor driver from www.dell.ie support ,your pc,each monitor has a unique driver file,eg if its a sony 540ls you need a sony 540ls monitor driver.YOU may be using a generic monitor driver.OR have a look in your control panel, power options .See here http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/learnmore/russel_02march25.mspx , switch off , unclick hibernation mode.
    OR install a screen saver on the pc.
    Check your monitor driver file in control panel/system/device manager.

Advertisement