Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Funded PHPP training - possibilty

Options
  • 15-01-2010 5:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭

When I was made redundant in Nov I approached FAS about assistance for funding ( i.e. pay my fee ) to take a PHPP ( passive house planning package ) course with these guys.

( Some of you may know Devyn from the Construct Ireland forum )

http://www.nicertraining.ie/site/

The course takes the form of a 3 day workshop which runs through the PHPP software with worked examples.

Anyway I got the green light from FAS last week - but speaking to Devyn yesterday - she is finding it difficult to fill seats in this climate so no course is planned for the immediate future.

SO.....

I would like to assemble a list of AT's and similar professionals who would take the course if FAS assisted. With that list to demonstrate demand hopefully FAS funding will follow .

If you wish to express your interest send an e mail as follows

Subject PHPP FAS

Your name

Contact details

Send to 'devyn@nicertraining.ie'

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

If interested please ( do as I did and ) make an appointment / call into your local FAS office and tell them you would like support from the FAS Technical Employment Support Grant scheme for the course

You can print off this ( past event ) to describe the course
    http://www.constructireland.ie/vb/showthread.php?t=867&highlight=PHPP

Devyn can later line up

From Germany - an expert to give a course on the use of WUFI software
    http://www.wufi-pro.com/

From Canada an expert to give a course on the use of THERM software
    http://eetd.lbl.gov/eetd-software-therm.html

To those who have responded so far . The first course looks like starting end of Feb .

Please make contact with Devyn to get the second one off the ground

• Registered Users Posts: 46,127 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I sent a PM but never received a reply.

Edit: That should read I sent a message via their online site.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭archtech

nor did I (or should I say I sent an email to Devyn)

• Advertisement

Please bear with it . Rest assured work is at hand .....

• Subscribers Posts: 41,644 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

i sent an email as well....

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭beyondpassive

Will this passive house be the introductory course or the certified passive house designer course similar to the one that was run in November in Strathclyde University in Glasgow. From all accounts it was a very comprehensive course where the students were brought through the PHPP algorithm using first principles. They worked out each formula using pencil and calculator. Well done on the iniative, Sinnerboy and Devyn, i'd like to see a progression from 1. Passive house introductory course,3 days. 2. certified passive house designer course 4 days + 1 day exam. 3. Passive house verifyer through 2 week internship in the PHI Darmstad. perhaps Ms S Theumer is the best point of contact as she has worked extensivly in Ireland and the UK. It looks like Wales might be moving towards mandatory Passive house standard as a step change to code level 5+6. Some very interesting oppertunities likely for Passive in the UK, they already have a passive school in the isle of wight and most of the volountry housing association apartment schems are going passive, no doubt helped by the change in certification criterea, where you now have a choice between the specific heat demand benchmark of 15KWH/msq/an and heat load benchmark of 10W/m2. This makes it easier for smaller houses and apartments to be certified. The onerour 0.6 ach@50pa remains though.

Initially we are trying to get a 3 day intro course off the ground - with FAS assistance for those out of work or possibly even those on reduced income . See post no 2 above . If it takes off - hopefully beyond Dublin too .

You have clearly outlined where further courses could go BP - together with (THERM and WUFI too )

Cheers SB,

If alls y'all want an intro to Therm to kick things off, I can guide you through the BRE method (ward ,sanders 2007) of calculating Ψ Psi values. Give me an idea of numbers and a date, and I'll facilitate it in Dublin.

Resources
    1. methodology.
    Ward, T. and Sanders, C. Conventions for calculating linear thermal transmittance and temperature factors. 2007 BRE Trust

BRE’s Information Paper IP 1/06
    BS EN ISO 10211

http://products.ihs.com/cis/Doc.aspx?AuthCode=&DocNum=283982

2. Therm 5.2 freeware
    http://windows.lbl.gov/software/therm/therm.html

user manual
    http://windows.lbl.gov/software/therm/52/THERM52_docs.htm

setup parameters
    http://www.aecb.net/PDFs/conference08/Thermal%20bridges%20aecb2008.ppt

A

• Advertisement

Very cool BP thanks - I'll pm you .

On the matter of the PHI rule change - can you say - if a building achieves the heat load benchmark of 10W/m2 how far beyond the specific heat demand benchmark of 15KWH/m2/year is likely in practice ? Could it double to 30 KWH/m2/year?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,644 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

BP, id be hugely interested in that seminar if you could organise something...

perhaps no6 could see about a CIAT connection??? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

sydthebeat wrote: »
    BP, id be hugely interested in that seminar if you could organise something...

perhaps no6 could see about a CIAT connection??? ;)

We'd need ten gallons of coffee for that one lads!!!:D Seriously though If I ran it with something slightly less technical of a similar nature a two or 2.5 hour evening talk I could look at it.

I have been too busy (:eek:) to talk to devyn yet Sinnerboy but I will!!!:D

Would someone mind telling me who beyondpassive is and who they represent?

Just an individual working in the passive house sector, and as a former Arch tech, just want to share knowledge with my colleagues. This is not a commercial proposition, I'm volunteering my time, hoping perhaps to get feedback on methods of detailing.

Thats fine. Cheers

I'll talk to Devyn tonight at the monthly Green builders meeting in the new cultivate building on Suffock st, all welcome of course. We could set it up for some evening in the next fortnight.

I'm in Donegal/Sligo/Leitrim next week doing some air tests if any colleagues from that region want an intro to therm. I could put an hour or two aside.

There are more than enough numbers now for 1 course - a handfull more would enable a second course - so please add to the numbers if you have not yet

Devyn is actively looking at logistics so expect an e mailed response shortly

Expect an e mail tomorrow or Monday at the latest if you have expressed interest

It's not too late to express interest now

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭atech

Been following this thread for a while but haven't signed up for the above course because i'm in limbo with whats the best route to take at the moment (plus i haven't even done the BER course, just self taught) but anywho spotted this in the construct ireland forum so taught ye may be interested.

http://passivehouseacademy.com/courses.html

• Advertisement

Thanks to all who expressed an interest . By now you should have received an e mail as worded below

If you did not get that e mail or if you now wish to attend the course - of future course - please make contact with Devyn ( not me )

Thank you for your previous interest in NICER Training’s PHPP workshop. The workshop is scheduled to be offered again on 5, 8, 9 March. This workshop is intended to provide students with solid overview of the PHPP software, as well as an understanding of Passive House principles.

Format and Content
    The format of the workshop will be three days of instruction, combining lecture and worked examples in the PHPP. The workshop is intended to be interactive, so students will be encouraged to ask questions and to share their experiences. The worked examples will cover a variety of details and issues of PHPP design and analysis.

Workshop content will include low-energy design in Ireland, building physics, air tightness and ventilation, u-values, thermal bridging, solar gain, and heat recovery systems.

We will be using PHPP 2007, which is the latest version of the software. Student should bring a laptop to the class. NICER Training may be able to supply a limited number of loaner laptops if necessary, and if students contact us in advance. PHPP 2007 is available from SEI, or at a reduced rate from NICER Training when booking the workshop.

Fees and Funding
    Course fee is €475, with a 5% discount for booking online at www.nicertraining.ie. For those ordering the PHPP from NICER Training, the software and manual is €95, for a total course fee of €570.

There are 12 places available at a discounted rate of €375, offered by the Timber Frame Skillnet.

Places are allocated on a first come, first serve basis.
    This is a limited offer and unfortunately is not open to employees of local authorities.
    This offer does not include the PHPP 2007 software and manual.
    The Timber Frame Skillnet is an enterprise-led learning network whose primary focus is to support the up-skilling of manufacturers and suppliers to the Timber Frame industry, to encourage new practices, and to promote quality benchmarking in industry standards. (For more information, see www.itfma.ie.)

NICER Training is a FAS and FETAC registered training provider, and we are happy to make arrangement with FAS officers for bookings for qualified candidates. Please contact NICER Training if you are planning on arranging FAS funding or would like further information.

Dates and Location
    The course is currently scheduled for 5, 8, 9 March at the Royal Marine Hotel in Dun Laoghaire (http://www.royalmarine.ie/). As always, course dates/delivery is pending sufficient booking numbers. Should we have sufficient interest/numbers, we may be able to offer the course outside Dublin.

Please respond to this email if you are interested in booking a place on the workshop or if you have any questions.

Best regards,

Devyn Olson-Sawyer, LEED-AP
    Programme Manager
    NICER Training
    e: devyn@nicertraining.ie
    p: 01 454 6411
    m: 086 399 7565
    www.nicertraining.ie
    www.nicer.ie

National Irish Centre for Energy Rating Ltd. (NICER)
    Reg. in Dublin 178822 Reg office 213 The Tramyard, Spa Road, Dublin 8
    NICER is a member of ÉASCA, the Environmental and Sustainable Construction Association

The NICER Training PHPP workshop is re scheduled to go forward with revised dates – 29, 30, 31 March, at the Greenhouse in Dublin 2. There are some places available on the workshop with €100 discounts for the employed/self-employed through the Timber Frame Skillnet, as well as the possibility of FAS funding for the unemployed. This needs to be arranged with your local FAS officer, and NICER will provide whatever information needed to FAS. Please contact booking@nicertraining.ie if you are interested in attending the workshop.

This workshop is intended to give attendees a strong start in using the PHPP software, and provide the tools to continue learning and working with PHPP. It also is meant to encourage anyone who is interested in continuing on to the Certified European Passive House Designer course. Workshop trainers have professional and research experience using the software, and have completed the Passive House Designer course.

If interested and you have not already done so please contact

Devyn Olson-Sawyer, LEED-AP

Programme Manager

NICER Training

e: devyn@nicertraining.ie

p: 01 454 6411

m: 086 399 7565

www.nicertraining.ie

www.nicer.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 20 ruth1234

I've been talking to my local FAS guy - in Cork City - about getting funding for a PHPP course. First of all the NICER course was rejected because its not FETAC approved. Then I looked for funding for the 2 day passivehouse academy course but they are rejecting that also because there is no certification at the end of it.

Is there something else I should be saying/doing?

Ruth,

The Fas guy is wrong. They state on their website the following:

'NICER Training is a FAS registered training provider - please contact your local FAS officer to see what funding options are available to you.'

And have a FETAC logo at the top of the page. Maybe print out that page and take it back to him.

http://www.nicertraining.ie/site/course-details.jsp?id_course=114

NICER do some FETAC approved courses but the PHPP course isn't one of them

http://www.nicertraining.ie/site/fetac-courses.jsp

Oh Ok my bad, I did the 2 day SEI PHPP course so didn't go through nicer.

So even though they are FAS registered, FAS won't give a Technical Employment Support Grant for it? Thats a disaster.

Insist FAS help you with funding towards the 10 day course - which will lead to certification . The Max amount of Grant is now €950.00

Ask the training provider if Skillsnet will make a contribution - potential €380.0

Speak to your local SW Executive officer ( make an appointment ) and ask also for a contribution from the DSS - potential €900.00

Hi Sinnerboy

can you explain what the SW executive officer and DSS are?

Do you think it would be possible to receive funding in all 3 of these ways?

thanks!

Social Welfare Executive officer - someone with more authority to review your case than those at the public counter .

DSS - sorry I meant DSW - Dept of Social Welfare

It IS possible to get all 3 sources of funding assistance - if you are un employed ,

• Advertisement
Advertisement