Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

This "Cleanse, tone & Moisturise" thing is a load of crap.

• 15-01-2010 5:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭

I don't understand why other women spend so much time using a load of creams and lotions on their skin.

Since the age of 12/13 every girl I know apart from me started using cleansers, toners, moisturisers... and they developed skin problems. Oily skin, dry skin, combination skin, acne... and so in turn bought even more creams and lotions.

All I have ever used is baby wipes and Vaseline. Baby wipes take off most of my makeup, Vaseline gets rid of the waterproof stuff. I have never suffered from acne, oily or dry skin and I rarely even have a pimple.
    In my opinion all half of these creams do is block your pores which causes spots so you buy more creams...

And as for all these anti-ageing creams?
    If they worked then nobody would have wrinkles would they?
    And everyone does.
    The way you prevent wrinkles is using suncream all year, the sun causes 80% of ageing.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭anniehoo

I agree with ya Magenta. I cant understand going out and spending a fortune on something that stays on your face for a few seconds.

I use a cheap face wash and Astral moisturiser and i think i have good skin.Ive started doing olive oil facials which leave my skin cleansed and really soft. €3/bottle in tesco. I think the dragging action of alot of cleansers are worse for your skin and moisturisers cant really penetrate your skin anyway so whats the point?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

im not disagreeing with you.. cause im not great at the cleanse tone moisturise thing myself, though i try, particularly with moisturising.. you might just be lucky with your skin. some people get terrible skin problems for no reason at all. but how old are you? i do think its a good idea to take good care of your skin when youre young because the more you put it through the worse its going to age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

Tbh, when I was younger (I'm 18 now) I never used moisturizer/toner/cleanser reguarly, only the very odd time and when I was 17 I started to use a clear pore gel (whch works), but I have always had bad skin. There is nothing I can do about it.

I recently started using 'Decleor Hydra Floral Anti Pollution Moisturising Cream' and the difference in my skin is amazing.

My skin isn't as Oily, dry and I don't get spots as much and my skin is much softer.

You may be one of the lucky people who has naturally good skin, unfortunately not everyone is that lucky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

I'm 24. I think a lot of the cleansers and toners, even the ones marketed as mild, are too harsh and just strip your skin of its oils so it overcompensates and therefore you have oily skin and clogged pores -> more creams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭idunnoutellme

I have to disagree - I know women who have a routine and those that just wash their face with water....the difference when their skin ages is significant.
    If you're taking good care of your skin the results will be obvious in the long run - and if you do nothing to it then using anti wrinke cream at that stage will be too late.

Just my personal opinion.

Vaseline sounds like a good idea to remove heavy makeup must try that!!

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

I agree to a certain extent.

I used feck all stuff when I was younger - my skin is really bad now and the only way that'll clear up is by using my cleanser and moisturiser. I tried the LITHA method and it made it worse.

I do believe some people do much more than they need to, sometimes its good to just let nature run its course!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I pretty much agree with you. But it has a lot to do with genetics and how your skin is anyway. I do think foundation can ruin your skin, my mother never wore foundation when she was younger. She now wears it on special occasions, maybe once a month, and her skin is wonderful. Barely any wrinkles. But same with my granny so it could be a genetic thing, finger crossed! haha.

To be honest when I don't cleanse my skin or use any cleansing morning gel blah blah blah stuff my skin looks a lot better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Stella777

I have to disagree - I know women who have a routine and those that just wash their face with water....the difference when their skin ages is significant.
    If you're taking good care of your skin the results will be obvious in the long run - and if you do nothing to it then using anti wrinke cream at that stage will be too late.

Just my personal opinion.

Vaseline sounds like a good idea to remove heavy makeup must try that!!
    Fact: The only "anti-wrinkle" cream that is actually scientifically proven to prevent wrinkles is sunscreen. All the other things might improve the current appearance of one's skin, but do nothing to prevent wrinkles. There are creams which can plump up the skin and reduce the appearance of wrinkles once you already have them.

good diet+lucky genetics+not smoking+avoiding sun exposure= less chance of wrinkles.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

If you are fair haired and fair skinned it is more common for you to have skin problems, apparently it is part of a gene inherited from early settlers who came from Northern Europe, but at least you have increased resitence to the cold!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭ha-ya-said-what

Magenta wrote: »
    The way you prevent wrinkles is using suncream all year, the sun causes 80% of ageing.

:D Sun.... ageing.... Good job I live in Ireland I'm gonna stay young forever yyyyeeeeahhhhhhh

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

OP, you just have good skin. You're lucky. Yeah endless amounts of stuff on your face isn't going to help, but cleansing it and washing all the residue off, then putting on a moisturiser with spf that's appropriate to your skin type isn't going to give you bad skin. Some people just have bad skin. Besides, if you don't moisturise now with a moisturiser that has SPF in it, it'll show come 40.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

Besides, if you don't moisturise now with a moisturiser that has SPF in it, it'll show come 40.

I use suncream for the sun protection. My skin doesn't need to be moisturised. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭sogg

Magenta wrote: »
    I use suncream for the sun protection. My skin doesn't need to be moisturised. :cool:

Then you're just naturally blessed! My skin is really dry (same as my mother's, who would be very low maintenance!), so just use a really gentle, soap free cleanser but a decent moisturiser with spf during the day and a nightcream at night. I just couldn't get way with anything less. I do agree that sometimes your skin just needs time to breathe, but not everyone gets away as lightly as you unfortunately!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

I really don't agree with this. I had bad skin before I ever used cleanser, toner or moistuiser (about 11 or 12). I did start using them when I was about 14 & my skin has vastly improved since. Yes I still get flair ups but nothing like before. I do go some days without doing the whole thing -mainly on the days I'm not wearing make-up - but find that if I go a full week like that my skin is very oily & I get breakouts. It's just like it was back when I was 12 before I'd thought of a skincare regime. I'm 24 now btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

A lot of skin problems are genetic and/or hormonal. Break outs can be caused sometimes by too heavy moistuisers etc, but I think its better to protect your skin than not protect.

I am the opposite to you - I wear zero make-up but cleanse/tone and moisturise.

If you think of it like this, make-up which you use, in a way, is a barrier to some of the weather and environmental elements that skin faces. Someone who doesnt wear make-up needs to protect the skin with something also. And make-up (depending on what you are using-i.e. mineral make-up can be non-pore clogging) can be terrible for clogging pores. I dont see how washing your face in water can be cleansing - that was fine 1000 years ago when there wasnt pollution/crazy ozone layer problems,cigarettes,parapens,fumes,contamination. I mean you dont wash your clothes in just water or wash in the shower without gel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

I skip the toning, as I can't see any benefit in it for me. I just use bog-standard Nivea or Simple products and they do the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I never saw the point of cleanse/tone/moisturise. I genuinely think a lot of it is an effort by the cosmetics companies to get you to buy extra stuff.

Now maybe this is because I am lucky to have good skin. My mother has also and she, like me, uses a minimum of product.

I don't cleanse, other than using water and an odd exfoliating facial scrub. I moisturise daily with a Lancome moisturiser with SPF. That's it. I do think that too much 'poking and prodding' at your skin isn't good for it. Keep it to a minimum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I've always found that Clerasil/Clean & Clear etc cleansers have been too harsh on my skin.

Toner i've never used. Don't really know what it does !

I put a moisturizer/primer on before I put on my makeup but thats only been in the last few months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Trashed

Babywipes morn and evening with nivea cream.
    use a roc exfoliater and tinted dove cream 3 times a week

only ever had one spot in my whole life!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Tbh, I cleanse, tone and moisturise. I use Clinique three step in the mornings and before bed, I take my make up with a Boots face wipe and then cleanse using Lush Angels on Bare Skin, tone with Lush Breath of Fresh Air and moisturise using either Vanishing Cream or some Botanics Super Balm.

Have always had a skin care routine, not always those products do and I have nice skin too!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 chocolate_cat

I trained in beauty therapy, so i get a lot of people telling me all the products they use. I find most people use too many products and dont cleanse properly. This can overload the skin and the skin cant breathe due to layers of gunk stilll leftover. This can lead to spots. Increases in hormones and additives in foods are also linked to the change in peoples skin and tendency to break out. Proper cleansing is something i do well as i nearly had it beaten into me in college.

Different products work for different people, it can take a long time to find something that works for you. The only product that works perfectly for my skin is a chanel moisturiser, sadly its about 55 euro. I use sudocream for spots and thankfully my cleanser and toner are both home made with stuff from the kitchen which helps reduce my 'every couple of months' splurge.

I agree with the person who said sunscreen is the best anti ageing product. I wear it in ireland as much as when im on holidays as there are still uv rays about, not that you would guess!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I think the "cleanse, tone and moisturise" thing is a one-size-fits-all approach - and possibly a money racket. What the hell is toner? I understand some people need it, but I don't. Facial wash? Soap tbh. Way too drying.

In the morning, the shower is enough to clean my face, and at night I either use Nivea cleanser or a mild facial scrub (the latter being far more beneficial for me but I wouldn't use it every day as that could be quite harsh on the skin).

I certainly consider moisturiser important though - with a SPF (anti-ageing cream, night cream - what a load of balls; moisturiser is moisturiser). And as a previous poster said, Astral cream is excellent. Not for everyone though as it is very thick and quite oily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

I just use plain ol' water to wash my face with the occasional dollop of Clean & Clear if I'm wearing make-up. I suffer with psoriosis (mainly on my scalp, but also on the back of my legs and...*other* areas) and the only thing that helps is Silcox Base or hemp soap.

Everything else-even Dove- is too harsh and makes my skin oil up too fast.

Some people NEED to "Cleanse/Tone/Moisturish" due to their skin tone so for some, it's strictly about appearence but moreso about underlying ailiments.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭rantyface

Acne is normally genetic and hormonally influenced. I got acne and greasy hair when I started my periods at ten years old. I wasn't using any products at the time. Dianette (a hormonal medicine) cleared it up almost completely. I have now grown out of it. This agrees with the general medical consensus that it is caused by hormones, not skin regime or diet.

In general, a gentle cleansing regime is better and allows healing. Many people with acne do over-cleanse and have a tendency to "punish" their skin.

An awful lot of people have tried to give me "hygiene advice" and I found it very insulting when they said "I just wash myself every day and never get spots" with the implied message that I'm not cleaning myself enough and am an oozing bag of pus and infection as a result.

My boyfriend has excema. People often say that washing your skin/scalp too often makes it greasier but I don't think over-washing his skin would make it greasier in the long run. I wish it were that simple.

Basically, everyone's skin is different and your skin care regime makes little difference compared to genetics and hormones. When I was younger if I didn't wash my face one night I'd pay for it with new spots or worse old ones the next day, but now I hardly ever wash except with water and my skin is perfect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭ohanloj3

I try cleanse, tone, moisturise but I haven't any product much good. I've tried most things out there: face wipes, cleansing washes, clenser and toner, make up removers etc. But non of these seem to get rid off ALL my make-up. I've tried most brands from clinique, l'oreal, dove, benefit, simple, No7,tescos and boots own brand........none seem to work. I was just wondering if anyone had any recommendations?? I don't want to spend a fortune. It seems that when I do the whole cleanse and tone thing that I'm always left with some residue of make up on my face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

ohanloj3 wrote: »
    I try cleanse, tone, moisturise but I haven't any product much good. I've tried most things out there: face wipes, cleansing washes, clenser and toner, make up removers etc. But non of these seem to get rid off ALL my make-up. I've tried most brands from clinique, l'oreal, dove, benefit, simple, No7,tescos and boots own brand........none seem to work. I was just wondering if anyone had any recommendations?? I don't want to spend a fortune. It seems that when I do the whole cleanse and tone thing that I'm always left with some residue of make up on my face.

I use a Johnsons product.. It's marketed as 3 in 1 and I find it does remove makeup quite well, provided you don't try and get it all off with just 1 cotton pad. I know that sounds obvious but I'd use at least 3 cotton pads (back and front) just to get eyemakeup and a bit of light foundation off and even then I'm probably skimping.. Honestly though I would say it's more of a cleanser than a 3 in 1... but it works at taking makeup off so I'm not going to complain!

Then I use a toner, which I find removes the cleanser residue and also any dirt and oil that the cleanser may not have gotten to. Since using toner I've found I've had a VAST improvement in my pores -they're not half as blocked..

this is the johnsons thing I was talking about:
    420000_l.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭wyrn

I used to just wash my face with water and moisturise (I've tried most brands) and I rarely wear makeup and if I do I use a facewipe to clean my face.

Now I could never find a proper moisturiser - it seemed like it wasn't absorbing into my skin even though it's flaky on my forehead/nose. I've also a breakout area around my chin. So naturally I was completely confused.

Until I met a decent beauty therapist while getting a facial. She told me I'd dehydrated skin and I needed to cleanse/tone/moisturise so I bought the whole Guinot set (I'd a voucher for the facial so I thought why not) - I haven't looked back. My skin has vastly improved. My moisturiser/foundation doesn't flake off. My skin is really soft and not rough. It looked a bit like the rough hands on Neutrogena ads - all sore and red looking.

For me cleansing/toning/moisturising makes a huge difference. For time to time I forget to do my routine and my skin goes mad. Also I need less foundation :)

I think genetics plays a big part.

I too also wear sunscreen. I remember seeing a report saying that moisturiser/foundation with spf doesn't work as well as the sunscreen of the same factor.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

For people who say they wear sunscreen, do you mean on your face every time you go out, even in winter? Do you reapply it later in the day and if so, what about your make-up?

Posy wrote: »
    For people who say they wear sunscreen, do you mean on your face every time you go out, even in winter? Do you reapply it later in the day and if so, what about your make-up?

I've only started to do this seriously in the last few months - yes the winter sun can be quite harsh. The clouds don't stop the UV rays. I only put it on in the morning when I am walking into work. I don't leave till about 8 so there's no need for me to reapply. Although I am looking for a nice light pocket size sunscreen for my handbag for the weekends (which I never reapply).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Posy wrote: »
    The general advice on this is the spf in your moisturiser/foundation is enough for winter (Nov-Feb) as there is very little daylight. Obviously, if you were going skiing or something you'd wear proper sun factor.

From Mar-Oct you should wear a separate sun cream with 20-30spf. I always wear 30spf during these months. When you're at work you don't need to keep topping up every few hours otherwise how would you wear makeup :confused: but you should avoid the sun from 12-2 and follow all the normal precautions.

This is what I use every year. You put it on after your moisturiser and unlike most sun creams it never gives me breakouts.
    Super_Sensitive_FaceBlock_SPF30.jpg

The general advice on this is the spf in your moisturiser/foundation is enough for winter (Nov-Feb) as there is very little daylight. Obviously, if you were going skiing or something you'd wear proper sun factor.

From Mar-Oct you should wear a separate sun cream with 20-30spf. I always wear 30spf during these months. When you're at work you don't need to keep topping up every few hours otherwise how would you wear makeup :confused: but you should avoid the sun from 12-2 and follow all the normal precautions.

This is what I use every year. You put it on after your moisturiser and unlike most sun creams it never gives me breakouts.
    Super_Sensitive_FaceBlock_SPF30.jpg

That looks good - how much is it and where do you get it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

wyrn wrote: »
    That looks good - how much is it and where do you get it?
    The prices vary depending on whether you are buying from ROI or NI, it's usually around €26. The best website I've found and I've used them lots ishttp://www.adonisgrooming.com
    Other websites claim to be cheaper but they usually aren't. The good thing about this site is that because the products are being shipped within the island of Ireland there are no extra taxes or charges so you won't have your package stopped by customs.

The prices vary depending on whether you are buying from ROI or NI, it's usually around €26. The best website I've found and I've used them lots ishttp://www.adonisgrooming.com
    Other websites claim to be cheaper but they usually aren't. The good thing about this site is that because the products are being shipped within the island of Ireland there are no extra taxes or charges so you won't have your package stopped by customs.

Cheers for that. I ordered stuff online which I missed the delivery which took all morning to get to the depot to collect it.

Also nice to know that someone else has used the website. I'm always a bit worried when I use my credit card on new (to me) websites.

Thanks again - definitely going to invest in this.

Advertisement