Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice on insurance for an M5

• 15-01-2010 6:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

My girlfriends father has an M5 which he wants me to get insured on but my insurance wont cover me and neither will his.

I am 25 with full licence since i was 17, does anyone know is there any way around this without having to insure it 3rd party?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,979 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

can you not just become a named driver on his policy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭bungler

we are both insured with Axa and they will not allow it, the muppppets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 259 ✭✭frank gooding

Can he get Open drive.

I had open on my policy with FBD anyone from 25 to 70 insured fully comp on my car.

Otherwise, you will have to wait till you grow up :)

Tell him to trade the M5 for a 535 D

Can he get Open drive.

I had open on my policy with FBD anyone from 25 to 70 insured fully comp on my car.

Otherwise, you will have to wait till you grow up :)

Tell him to trade the M5 for a 535 D

good point, i must find out if he has open drive,
    for years the insurance company said as soon as im 25 i can drive it and now im 25 they said i have to be 30 its crazy that you have to be 30 to drive a car when i hold a full licence for car,bike,bus and all HGV's and have an advanced driving cert and am a professional driver

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭MarkN

He must really trust you. :p

Try First Ireland www.firstireland.ie and ask them to quote him with Travellers. I've an M3 and that's who I'm with, it's still 1,000 so I wouldn't expect to see much change out of a 2k for a 25 year old on an M5.

• Advertisement

i dont mind the money, i even asked for temp insurance and they wont do that.

yea he trusts me but he knows i know how to handle and respect cars so its in safe hands

Still, take it handy for a while in it, they're not always predictable cars. I've had mine a year now and lost the back of it twice in the cold weather and I wasn't going fast, at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

I know a 21 year old with a new m3, mammy and daddy job:rolleyes: you should have no problem, just shop around.

Plug wrote: »
    I know a 21 year old with a new m3, mammy and daddy job:rolleyes: you should have no problem, just shop around.

big difference between an m3 and an m5, if mammy and daddy got it for him they prob dont mind forking out 10k for insurance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Ahhh, now we all know the real reason you're going out with her...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

It's gas, when you are younger the problems always seem to centre on insurance issues, when you're that little bit older & the insurance problam abaits then the mortgage gets in the way!:p

Futher down the line it will be incontinence!:D

Always a block to having that illustrious ///M

bungler wrote: »
    big difference between an m3 and an m5

There isn't as much as you'd think in terms of power. M5 is a much heavier car and current models compared there's less than 100 brake.

Current M3 will sit with a previous model M5 without any problem whatsoever.

You're also far less likely to have a gun stuck in your face in the middle of the night for your 2 door car than your uber quick saloon. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

just done a quote on 123.ie for myself. 26 full licence 6years 6years no claims bonus no points. 06 bmw m5 value 26k (havent a clue what they are worth) fully comp with full ncb protection E960. not to bad!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

bungler wrote: »
    and am a professional driver

That prob goes against you I am afraid.

Don't fret soon you be old and able to afford a fanny magnet car insurance.... and by that time have forgottten what to do with the fanny if you got any! ;)

sean1141 wrote: »
    just done a quote on 123.ie for myself. 26 full licence 6years 6years no claims bonus no points. 06 bmw m5 value 26k (havent a clue what they are worth) fully comp with full ncb protection E960. not to bad!

thats ok but the value would be alot more! theres an 05 one on carzone for 35k at the moment iirc, but im not sure if that kinda value would affect the premium?

Edit - just got a quote for the 2005 M5 on carzone there with www.123.ie - 900e fully comp! 28, 6 yrs NCB.

I'm surprised at that quote, more surprised it worked online.

Normally for cars like that you get the "we cannot quote at this time" or "please call our office for a quote".

MarkN wrote: »
    I'm surprised at that quote, more surprised it worked online.

Normally for cars like that you get the "we cannot quote at this time" or "please call our office for a quote".

im still in shock too.......as i search my sofe for loose change to build up to 34k to buy that M5............damn, only E1.57 found...:(

Advertisement