Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My UltraRunning log

Options
  • 15-01-2010 6:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭

I have been meaning to start a log for a while but never got around to it until now.

I took up running fairly late (just before I turned 40) and have completed 5 marathons at this stage, the most recent in Berlin in 2:59.

I think I am close to my natural limit in terms of how much further I can improve as a marathon runner, and I want to try something different this year.

Since I appear to be better at the longer events, and have a decent base in my legs at this stage, I want to give an UltraRunning a shot.

I will be doing a few events, but the primary goal in the first half of the year is the Connemara Ultra in April, which I hope to complete in under 5:15.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

Good luck with the running. I'll keep a eye on this log with interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

mithril wrote: »
    the most recent in Berlin in 2:59

I think I am close to my natural limit in terms of how much further I can improve as a marathon runner, and I want to try something different this year..

mithril as you started late in running you might still have some improvement in marathon times. Don't discount it
    Good luck in your quest.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Will look for ward to reading the log, and will no doubt bump into you in a few races over the coming months, and hopefully the start line in Connemara.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭mithril

Saturday 16 January

Very hilly, very slow run from Crone Woods along the Wicklow Way.
    37 km in 4:13 (1778 m height gain according to the Garmin but this is not reliable.)

This is as long as I will go on a training run but will be stepping up the pace as I get a bit closer to Connemara. At the moment just focusing on building up time on my feet.

Route from car park up over the waterfall which looked fabulous with all the water from the melting snow. Then down to the Dargle - hoping to head up to Lough Tay but still too much snow there to run further at any pace.

Back to the car park up along the IMRA WW trail route to top of Prince William Seat , back again to car park (refueled) and then re-traced my steps again to top of waterfall before I called it a day.

Pretty pleased with the outcome but real test will be whether I can manage a second long run tomorrow. I know I could have gone on further and felt comfortable throughout except for a sore ankle which is a chronic problem I habitually run through.

I carried a small amount of fluid in a Salamon waist pack and then periodically returned to the car to stock up
    Drank 0.5 litre water mixed with High 5 Energy source, 0.5 litre of water and then 0.5 litre of chocolate milk during the run along with a Viper bar.
    Then more chocolate milk and a banana for recovery wheN I finished.

Will look for ward to reading the log, and will no doubt bump into you in a few races over the coming months, and hopefully the start line in Connemara.
    I am keeping an eye on your own training log for Barcelona.
    You have come on quite a bit since Berlin. I don't think I could get near you now.
    The MP runs will make the difference.
    I think if you can avoid a dodgy meal the night before, you will finish closer to 2:55 than 3.

• Advertisement

Sunday

25 KM plod in just under 2:30 around the trails in Glendalough.
    Much flatter course than yesterday.

Still a lot of ice on the trails and path washed away in parts by torrential rainfall so was not able to complete the long loop I normally follow.

Experimented with taping my ankle with Scholl ankle support and Leucotape and the additional support appears to make a big difference in preventing inflammation. Considering doing this routinely for long runs.

Thats 62KM in two days so taking a well earned rest tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

These back-2-back LSRs definitely aren't for the feint hearted!
    I did 35 miles between Fri and Sat and that's a pb for me but yet it's only going to get tougher. Still though, I can feel it doing me good week-on-week so that's good!
    Have you done these type of b2b runs before? What's the max b2b distance you plan on doing in preparation for Connemara??

belcarra wrote: »
    These back-2-back LSRs definitely aren't for the feint hearted!
    I did 35 miles between Fri and Sat and that's a pb for me but yet it's only going to get tougher. Still though, I can feel it doing me good week-on-week so that's good!
    Have you done these type of b2b runs before? What's the max b2b distance you plan on doing in preparation for Connemara??

I have done a 4.5 hour run before but long b2b runs are new to me.

To some extent I am playing this by ear. I think for Ultra marathons , there is a fine line between doing a tough workout that gives you a good stimulus to improve and putting yourself over the edge to injury.
    My plan was to back-off and do a long bike ride today if I felt wrecked but I felt up for more punishment when I got up.

I am thinking 4 hour and 3 hour back to back with an average speed of 11 kmph will be my toughest week-end.

I am also going to run a 33 mile race in the U.K. but proabably not at full effort. This will be my longest single run.

Summary:10 aerobic kms at 4:52 pace doing laps of GAA pitch in U.C.D.

Legs still feeling heavy after weekend's double long run.
    Laft ankle still sore so running on grass to minimize impact.

What would be categorized as an easy run during last year's marathon training is a faster than race pace workout for the Ultra.

Heading over to Seattle next week where one of the largest outdoor shops in the world is located so planning some shopping on www.rei.com

Injinji socks and some of the American nutrition products such Gu will be purchased for experiment.

Buy a few sets of these. You can sell them at a premium as soon as the ice returns. Do you feel like you are sacrificing a bit of speed for endurance? Does it bother you?

• Advertisement

Buy a few sets of these. You can sell them at a premium as soon as the ice returns. Do you feel like you are sacrificing a bit of speed for endurance? Does it bother you?
    I considered them but to be honest the cold snap did not disrupt my training.
    I was injured until end of December and then got some good runs in along the Royal Canal path in Mullingar. Back in Dublin I always found a field or trail I could run with the Mud Claws. Might have been different if I needed to do repeats but pretty much all my running is slow aerobic at the moment.

I think you are probably right on the speed versus endurance question although you could also make a case that the slow runs I am doing at the moment are building a base that could be used for a fast marathon in the Autumn with anerobic training.

Certainly its a trade-off I am prepared to make.
    3 hours is a nice round number and the next one that means anything to me is 2:50. I don't think I have the ability to get under it.

Another consideration is that my calf muscle tear will take 3 months to fully heal and I have been advised against very fast runs until then which would rule out a competitive Spring marathon even if I wanted to do it.

My goals are to run increasingly longer ultras for the next couple of years.

Summary:12 km at 4:14 (Marathon pace) on U.C.D. track

First fastish run i have done since tore my calf muscle at start December.

Felt fine going into this one with no niggles and tiredness had gone away.
    However both left ankle and right calf muscle, the two recent injuries I have had, started to niggle once I stepped up the pace.
    Ran thru it since this did not worsen but never got a smooth rhythm.

Thursday

Easy gym session.
    30 minutes on elliptical trainer.
    Stretching and calf raises with weights.

Friday
    Summary: 36 km in 2:55 (4:52 pace) on pancake flat coast path from Blackrock to Sutton and back again.

Moved my LSRs forward a day to align with travel plans.
    Too dark after work to head up hills so ran this one slightly faster than planned race pace on coastal route.

Experimented with Mizuno Wave Creation, a stability shoe targeted at heavier runners to see if it would provide shock absorption to protect ankles and seems quite promising. Still think the right insole in a neutral shoe might be better and aim to pick up one in the on my travels.

Left ankle and right calf still niggling but was able to run through both without them getting worse. 10 minute stretching at half way seems to have helped.

Comfortable with this run and could have managed longer but tried to slip a MP KM at 4:15 in the middle of the run and could not manage it. I was able to do this last year easily during build-up to Berlin. Lack of speed training is the reason I believe.

Fuel:
    2 slices of brown bread with honey, 0.5 litre High 5 energy source and orange juice before I headed out.

1 Powergel and 0.5 litre at half-way.

Choc milk, orange juice for recovery followed by pasta with tuna and a glass of red wine.

Saturday

Felt still quite fresh after yesterdays LSR so parked the car in Taylors car park in preparation for a planned 25 km run over the Wicklow Way.

However, after a couple of hundred metres noticed that my left ankle had deteriorated and I was limping quite badly.
    I am fairly sure the concrete sections on the Sutton path did the damage. Next time I will jog or walk on them and forget about maintaining pace.
    Tried 20 minutes slow jog on grass in Marley Park and when no improvement, abandoned the run and resorted to plan B.

Took 2 Nurofen for anto-inflammatory properties and got out the mountain bike. 2:50 cycle from Blackrock to Bray and back again.
    Noticed that the cycling action appeared to be loosening up the ankle and it appeared a lot better.

Did a short job in Carysfort park once I got home which confirmed this . Tempted to try another run but deciding the prudent thing to do was to call it a day.

Next week, step-back week as I am working in the U.S. and I want to taper in preparation for Pilgrims Challenge Ultra on Feb 6th.

Hopefuly a rest will give the niggles a chance to clear up.

Friday
    Summary: 36 km in 2:55 (4:52 pace) on pancake flat coast path from Blackrock to Sutton and back again.
    Great running Mithril. How long is the pilgrim's challenge?

*cough* Heavier runner?!
    I've been running with the Mizuno Waveriders, and have just ordered a pair of 13s. I'm suffering from similar troubles to yourself, but I think it may be down to the current waveriders, which have been through a couple of marathons, and a lot of long runs (which I reckon shortens the lifespan below the standard 500 miles). Still, at 85 euro a pair, I can generally afford to change them more regularly then the Asics I used to wear. Hope the ankle troubles clear up. Arnica cream is a natural anti-inflammatory, that might help.

33 miles and a few IMRA type hills on route not the tiny things we will be gliding up in Connemara.:)

I should have mentioned I am 9 stone but need the type of shock absorption that is targeted at heavier runners because of the state of my ankles.

I had pretty good results with the Waveriders, combined with a custom orthotic as well, but also get terrible blisters with them.

I don't think I have found the optimum choice for my road running yet.

Sunday
    Summary: 14.27 KM recovery jog in 1:29 to loosen up after flight around Seattle suburbs, Marymoor park and then the lovely Sammamish River trail

Monday: rest.

Tuesday.
    Summary: approx 17 KM in 1:30 around Seattle sub-urban streets and then Sammamish River trail in the dark. Jogged on concrete paths and ran on the trails at 4:55 pace.

I have established that at least part of the problem with my left ankle is a tight calf muscle so spent the day sitting in a training class with my trouser leg pulled up rubbing it to try and loosen up the knot. My American colleagues must have thought I was very strange!

One of my colleagues has a problem with a bear in their back-yard and there are also Cougar mountain lions in the vicinity so checked first with a few people who confirmed the chance of an attack by wild animals was infinitesimal. The most dangerous predator though is man - I am running thru Marymoor park where the notorious serial killer Ted Bundy lured and attacked some of his victims. Since objectively I am far more at risk of dying in a traffic accident, (you should see the way some of the taxis are driven), it not something that worries me particularly and I am trying to be sensible in terms of where I am doing my running.

Back to hotel after work, changed , put on the head-torch and headed off along the Sammamish river trail for a fabulous run in moon-light.
    This follows an old railway track 11 miles along the Sammamish river north of Seattle with car use not permitted. Grade is very flat and surface has been covered with asphalt with a soft margin for trail runners and horses at the edge. Its a lovely surface to run on , with squirrels running in the trees and nice views of the sky-line lit up by night.

Trying out a footbed aimed at ultra-runners - it needs to be heat moulded to adjust for the profile of the feet which I have not done yet, but very impressed with it last night. Provides an awful lot of shock absorption, good support and the cloth texture absorbs persipiration. Appears to be better than the much more expensive custom insole I have used previously.

Also picked up some Injinji toe socks which a lot of ultra runners swear by .Might be something to get used to but to me the fit did not fell natural or as comfortable as regular socks. Cloth was tight against some of my toes with bunching on the cloth on others which appears a recipe for blisters. Will do a trial on a shortish run later this week

• Advertisement

Wednesday

Rest (heavy drinking session with some Irish friends who have moved over permanently to Seattle)

Thursday
    Summary: 20K in 1:35 (4:35 pace) along East Lake Sammamish Trail in Seattle.

Still a bit de-hydrated after last night's session but managed to escape work at lunch-time to do this lovely run in day-light. The rail follows an old railway track along wooded Lake Sammamish with views of the Issaquah Alps and Mount Rainier in the background. Very similiar in appearance to the Upper Lake in Glendalough.

Grade was dead flat and on a nice gravel surface so picked up the pace a bit on this one. Quite pleased with ability to maintain this pace comfortably but found it quite painful if I tried to increase to Marathon Pace (4:15 for me). Glad I did not attempt a Spring Marathon since the time would have been very disappointing and possibly these types of runs will get me a respectable performance in the Connemara Ultra.

Took a Honey Stinger Gel at half point and really like these. They are a natural product comprising mainly honey with additional electrolytes and give you a good boost with a nice taste. Have not seen them for sale in Ireland through the regular outlets so may bring back a box with me.

Friday
    Summary:11.24 KM in 1:08 (6:05 pace) recovery jog around Issuquah town at lunchtime

Recovery jog (very slow job on concrete about 5:20 pace on gravel) exploring my immediate surroundings.

Hoping to head up nearby hills and admire views over lake but further than I realised and road was dangerous so turned back without going all the way. There is an alternative route I will try next week.

Previous post should have conveyed how idyllic the immedate physical surroundings are but work situation is difficult and working very long hours. Felt shattered this morning since sleep is still impacted by jet-lag but felt much better after I escaped for lunchtime run.

Right leg has cleared up but left ankle still is sore, particularly when I up the pace.
    There is a request that I extend my stay but still hoping to get home next week to compete in North Downs Ultra. I was always treating this as a warm-up for Connemara, rather than a competitive race ,and I am not fully fit, so would be happy to complete it in any time provided I do not pick up an injury.

Saturday
    Summary:
    42.2 KM in 3:17:15 (4:40 pace) from Marymoor park along the Sammamish River Trail and Burke Gilman trails to Bothel and back again to Redmond.

This run was a really good morale boost.

Got a really good night sleep and finally appeared to shake off the lingering tiredness from the trip over.
    I already knew I would not be running Sunday so planned to push up the pace in this one (most of my runs for last few weeks have been double long runs).

Started at 5 minute pace and pushed it down to 4:50 once I warmed up. The trails are on old railway line which now have been paved and dedicated for recreational use so no worries about nasty concrete for a change or need to look out for traffic since there are tunnels and bridges under all the roads.
    Note: Ireland once had the densest concentration of railways in Western Europe and with a bit of foresight we could also have converted these into a wonderful resource -another missed opportunity.

Light drizzle meant that the promised views of the Seattle sky-line and Cascade mountains never materialized but still lovely running on dead flat asphalt trail through woods beside river.

Stopped at Bothell at half-way point in Subway for tuna sandwich, litre of water and crisps - which actually went down very well.
    I am starting to wonder whether race-day nutrition matters all that much for ultrarunning.

Really good thing is that ankle loosened out after about 2 hours and was able to push up the pace to 4:30 for final section of return journey to get home in 3:17.

Ankle felt a bit unstable for final 2 KM and slowed to jog as a precaution but I think it is OK.
    Quads which I think are key for the final third of Connemara felt great and still no inflammation 1 day later.
    I think the ultra slow long hilly runs I have been doing along the Wicklow Way are helping to strengthen them.

Still seemed to be plenty of energy in tank at the end and I felt I could have gone on for a good bit longer but maybe losing a bit of pace in the process.

Recovery food: 1 honeystinger gel and fruit smoothie.

My neck and back were the most tired partS of my body - next long run I am going to try shrugging and loosen these and also include them the next time I have a sports massage (normally I concentrate on the legs). .

Sunday:
    3 hour drive from Seattle with colleague to near Canadian border and 3 hour hike through snow in North Cascades National Park .
    Running tights and runners were not ideal for 24 inches of snow so cut walk short without completing planned route but still saw enough to appreciate magnificent scenery.

Monday
    Long day at work so did not manage to get out for run.

On way home passed a flashing red sign "Massage" beside my hotel which gave me an idea. Not sure what services were normally offered here, and I got the impresssion that they went a bit further than a sports massage :) , but I felt a lot better after an hour of this.

Did not go quite deep enough to loosen up the calf muscles but back and neck felt a lot less tense afterwards.
    I don't think this was caused by running - long hours hunched over a lap-top was the cause - but this was the area of my body that started to get tired first during the long run on Saturday so hopefully I will see the benefits on Saturday.

Tuesday
    Easy recovery jog for about 30 minutes on hilly roads around the office at lunch-time. Garmin battery is gone now so did not capture stats.

Wednesday
    Flying back overnight to Ireland and then flying to UK on Friday for Pilgrim Challenge which is a 33 mile off-road Ultra over the North Downs.

I have done an off-road marathon (the Causeway Coast in October) before but this is my first run over 26 miles.

I am going to head off at about 6 Minute/KM pace and then push up the pace a bit if I feel comfortable.

I really want to practice running for a very long time in this race - I expect to be taking more than 5:15 to complete this and a competitive finish is not a goal in this one.
    It should provide a useful physical adaption and be mental preparation for Connemara.

Route directions look bewildering - the route is waymarked erratically so might have to do a bit of back-tracking on the way.

While waiting at the airport, I have put together some notes on what worked for me and did not, of the various running products I experimented with while in the U.S. Most of these are not generally available in Ireland.

For me the best one was HoneyStinger gels which gave a real lift. It tastes nicer and goes down easier that any of the gels I have tried before and is a natural organic product. There is added Sodium and Potassium but it's quite possible that the same effect can be produced a lot cheaper by shovelling some standard honey into an appropriate container.Still I have brought a few back home with me and intended to use them in this week-end's Ultra and probably Connemara.

I tried a few of the American energy bars such as Clif bars but they did nothing special for me and I did not find anything superior to, Go bars as a general nutrition bar, and Viper bars which are very small and easy to carry but with a big stimulant effect. I get both from www.wiggle.co.uk

For me Gu gels were very similiar to Powergels widely available in Ireland.

The big disappointment was Injinji socks which a lot of ultrarunners rave about. I only wore them twice, on 10K and 15K runs, neither done at pace, but encountered noticeable rubbing on my toes that would have developed into blisters over time. They also take ages to put on and line up the toes successfully to the right hole. I spent a good deal on time getting this right to give them a fair trial but they still never felt comfortable. Possibly this is a matter of sizing, I choose a fairly small sock which was marginal for my shoe size - maybe a large sock with more room would work better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

and Viper bars which are very small and easy to carry but with a big stimulant effect. I get both from www.wiggle.co.uk

Hi Mithril I second the Viper bar. The best one I've tried to date. I've found no other bar quite like this. Brilliant for the bike section in the tri's.

Great commitment there while in foreign lands. Not many would do what you did. Best of luck at the weekend

Advertisement