Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My UltraRunning log

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭mithril

Friday

Day of rest in preparation for weekend's double LSR.

Knee still a bit sore and knee cap very red.
    Took two Ibuprofen as anti-inflamatories.

Saturday
    Summary:
    37 KM in 2:50 (4:36 pace) on grass track along the Royal Canal tow path from Mullingar towards Killucan.

Nice long run on lovely soft surface with only the swans and wading birds for company.

Only mishap was that knee started getting painful again after 19KM. Stretched and tried to loosen up knee cap which did not fix the problem but appeared to ease it and was able to finish the run in reasonable comfort.

Afterwards started drinking from a 2 litre container of water and finished the whole lot at once. Clearly I had got badly dehydrated even though it was only about four degress by the time I finished the run.

Sunday
    Summary:
    24 KM in 1:55 (4:48 pace) in Phoenix Park.

Knee still sore after yesterday's run but otherwise felt quite fresh.
    Rubbed IbuProfen gel of the knee in the morning which appeared to ease it and also experimented with strapping the right knee to see whether the extra support would help (I don't think it did).

Every step on this run in a traffic clogged Phoenix Park was a slog and painful enough to sap any enjoyment out of the run without being bad enough to force me to abandon it. I hoped things would improve once I had warmed up a bit and stopped a few times to massage and try and loosen up the knee but with limited effect.

Finally abandoned the run in relief once I arrived back at the car after 24 KM

Monday.

Rest day.
    Tried to flatten calf muscles with foam roller.
    Ibuprofen gel for knees.

Tuesday
    Summary:
    12 KM in 0:52 (4:23 pace) in laps on grass of Carysfort park.

This started out as an aerobic run but I was feeling so good on the springy surface I picked up the pace for the last few KMs to MP which I found very comfortable.

Only fly in the ointment was that my knee started to give problems again after 9KM. Stopped, stretched and loosened the knee cap and was able to complete the remainder of the run without difficulty.

• Advertisement

Wednesday
    Summary:
    24.11 KM in 1:52 (4:39 pace) in loop from Enniskerry to Glencree.

This was a good run which simulates the final half marathon section of Connemara. I think its a bit tougher since both the Garmin and OS give elevation gain of approx 700m for the route, which is more than I remember from Conn when I did the half.

What was even better was its the first tough run I managed in weeks without stopping with knee pain half way through. This leads me to suspect that the issue might be the repetitive nature of running on largely flat surfaces and I might avoid it if I run on a more undulating surface like I encountered today. Physio appointment for Monday to try and get to root of the problem.

This is a lovely route but got dark by 7 and completed second half by head torch which is a bit dangerous since the traffic increases as you approach Enniskerry. Once the clocks change it will be safer and more viable after work and I expect to do it regularly.

Bad blisters on edge of right foot (NB 1062 with Sole heat moulded orthotic). The problem is that the shoe is too wide and leaves a gap between the insole which causes friction. The insole itself is great, provides good support, and cushions a lot of impact from the road.
    I still need to finalize my shoe choice for Connemara. Veering back now again to Brooks Adrenaline.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

profile.jpg

2 x 80-100m Climbs over the last 26 miles. Don't think there's anything too hectic in the first 13 miles either.

2 x 80-100m Climbs over the last 26 miles. Don't think there's anything too hectic in the first 13 miles either.

That's what I thought.
    I ran it as my first half and found it pretty tough.
    With a season of hill running behind me, the hills seemed to have been flattened quite a bit second time around (a year later).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

The first 13 is fairly flat, few small climbs but nothing too dramatic.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Actually here it is here from my garmin last year(I pressed the wrong button when checking my time after 13.5 miles)

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/2713368

• Advertisement

I really feel I got a battering from last night run. Body sore all over but I don't think I picked any injuries.

This was the first time I have run fast down-hill since I got injured in December and it took a bit more out of me than I expected.
    Some nasty blisters as well on both feet after only 24 KM so completing the full 63KM might be a painful experience.

As per my normal program for Thursday , cross-trained in gym with zero impact exercises, stretching and ankle strengthening with weights.

Rest day today with sports massage in the evening.

Connemara is in 4 weeks time so this week-end will be the final tough week-end before I start to taper.

I have entered the Larne Half Marathon next week-end and will use this as a dry-run for Connemara. £15 entry fee is great value for a scenic coastal run and 1PM start time means I can drive up and down on the same day.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

4 weeks? eek..
    Are you doing a 4 week taper?

That's what i am thinking. Remember I am coming from a higher training base at 60+ kilometres over a normal weekend than a regular marathon program so I think the distance should be cut back earlier.

If I am doing a half marathon race as a dry run next Saturday, I am not going to do a very tough session next day, which brings me to 2 weeks out where there is no question that I should be tapering.

Saturday
    Summary:
    34.62 KM in 2:46 (4:47 pace) in 3 circuits of Howth Head.

Route starts at Howth village and follows main road to Sutton and then returns by following the coast for a gradual ascent up Howth hill before descending sharply to the village.

I ran the same route 3 times, getting progressively faster each time with the following Garmin stats.
    Note the discrepency in the elevation stats. I believe all 3 readings exaggerate the actual elevation gain.

Garmin stats
    Lap 1: 11.52 KM in 0:58:14 (5:03 Pace) 312m Ascent
    Lap 2: 11.51 KM in 0:55:19 (4:48 Pace) 341m Ascent
    Lap 3: 11.59 KM in 0:52:14 (4:30 Pace) 329m Ascent

I think this was a pretty useful run to simulate the Connemara route.

Knee started to get sore after first lap but by altering my posture I was able to ease strain and successfully run through it. I now know this is a repetitive use issue and I believe I can avoid it by varying my posture slightly throughout my runs.

I wore Brooks Adrenaline shoes with a minimalist Nike Dri Fit sock and rubbed BodyGuide over the soles of my feet beforehand to lubricate. With this combination, I had no blisters or other issues so I think I have now selected my footware for the race.

1 Viper bar and a couple of Cliff electrolyte Bloks as nutrition with water after each circuit.
    I forgot my chocolate milk so 2 bottles of Erdinger alcohol free beer and a Go Bar for recovery.

Both calves very tight after run even though I had a sports massage yesterday. Rubbing with Golf Ball appears though to to have succeeded in loosening them up.

Sunday
    Summary:
    34.63 KM in 2:44 (4:46 pace) in 3 circuits of Howth Head.
    Plus 3.85KM in 22.27 (5:49 pace) cool down.

Lovely, bright, sunny day in Dublin, ideal for a nice long trek along the Wicklow Way. Getting too close though to the race for such self-indulgence, so I headed out again to Howth and repeated yesterday's workout of 3 laps around Howth head.
    In addition to getting the planned distance at a reasonably fast pace, I wanted to calibrate how my body was responding as the distance increased. Running a series of identical laps over the week-end permits this and breaking up the run in this way, also allowed me to re-fuel and take on water at regular intervals.

Garmin stats
    Lap 1: 11.50 KM in 0:56:40 (4:55 Pace) 321m Ascent
    Lap 2: 11.55 KM in 0:54:05 (4:40 Pace) 318m Ascent
    Lap 3: 11.58 KM in 0:53:18 (4:36 Pace) 394m Ascent

Overall, I was pleased that I was able to complete the run without serious mishap and with an average pace for the day slightly faster than yesterday. Note the variance in the Garmin elevation for an identical route, all of which I believe overstate the ascent.

Knee started to give trouble on the first lap and got so sore I felt the need to stop and stretch. The first section from Howth to Sutton village is flat on a poor surface and this caused irritation.
    Once I hit Howth hill, it started to ease and I although the problem never went away, I was able to run through it.

After the run, did a 20 minute warm down at recovery pace and stretched for 20 minutes which seems to have helped - calves were a lot less tight after today's run than yesterday.

Used same kit as yesterday but forgot to run Bodyglide on the sole of the feet and was starting to develop hot spots by the end of the run.

Water, 1 viper bar and 2 Cliff bloks consumed during run.
    Chocolate milk and 1 Go bar for recovery, followed by apple and tuna and cheese sandwich.

This is the toughest week-end of training and I now intend to start a gradual taper. Priority is to get to the starting line fit and un-injured.
    Seeing physio tomorrow to tray and diagnose the problem knee which is my only current niggle.

This being a scheduled rest day, I went to the physio instead to get an opinion about my right knee which is getting inflamed whilst running.

Not as good news as I was hoping for, unfortunately.

Problem is bursitis on the the right knee cap . The bursa, an sac over the knee which helps it to glide, is is enlarged in my case causing inflammation when the tendons run against it.

Its a relatively minor injury with probably no long-term issues but a period of prolonged running in the next few weeks is likely to cause inflammation which will make it increasingly more painful to continue to run and reduce pace. Not the ideal diagnosis heading into an ultra marathon.

I have a few exercises to treat and also told to ice every night.
    Down hill running is also good for it but I am still recovering from an torn calf muscle and have a history of ankle problems so might not be suitable for me.

Will do what I am told and hope for the best.

Tuesday
    Summary: 12.33 KM in 0:54 (4:22 pace) on U.C.D. track.

First tempo session since Christmas which I am using to gauge planned pace for Saturday's half marathon.
    Started easy, gradually pushed pace down until I completed a 3:56 KM.
    Breathing quite easy at this pace but legs still felt heavy from the week-end so backed off again and gradually warmed down.

I don't think this workout was properly thought through and I just used it to fill an empty slot in my calendar. No more speed sessions until after the Ultra.

Wednesday
    Summary:
    38.6 KM in 4:01 (6:15 pace) along the Wicklow Way (very hilly, 1904m elevation gain according to the OSI ).

Lovely "time on the feet" run along WW from Crone Woods to Lough Tay then steep downhill to Lough Dan before I retraced my steps.
    Bright sunshine and great views throughout.

This is the third long run in five days and some tiredness in the legs from the week-end.
    Carried 1 litre of water with me in Salomon twin belt but still dehydrated at the finish and skin dried out like parchment.

Felt I could maintain this very easy pace indefinitely but when I tried to step up to a 5 minute KM for last bit, found it very difficult.

Both knees a bit tight at times but never painful and did not impact pace.
    Went over both ankles at different times during the run without immediate issues but right ankle now a bit sore. Hopefully this won't develop into an injury.

Food: 1 banana, 1 viper bar, 1 honey gel , 2 Clif electrolyte bloks.
    Afterwards 1 Go bar for recovery. Forgot the chocolate milk again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

Your a tough runner Mithril. All that with a dodgy knee too. All the best with the ultra.

• Advertisement

Easy session in gym with 30 minutes zero impact exercise on the cross-trainer and some stretching. I have cut out the calf raises since physio thinks these might aggravate the knee injury.
    mithril wrote: »
    Wednesday
    right ankle now a bit sore. Hopefully this won't develop into an injury.
    Iced this last night but think I have got away with it. There might be a slight sprain but I was able to do a few hundred meters today without problem. It should have cleared up totally before the race.
    Your a tough runner Mithril. All that with a dodgy knee too. All the best with the ultra.
    Thanks Misty but I want to be a good runner rather than a tough one and I really am feeling my way with the training. There are a lot of tough runs in there but I have added a lot of recovery time as well.
    One thing I notice is that I am no longer suffering from DOMs, just leaden limbs on the day after a tough run. Either this is telling me I now have a lot more endurance than a few months ago, or it's telling me I am running a lot of empty miles which are not forcing any adaption and so are pointless. I am hoping for the latter but suspect it's the latter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Sorry to hear about the dodgey knee. You are nearly in taper mode in any case so you should benefit from rest in the coming weeks and hopefully it'll be okay come the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭DustyBin

enjoy Larne tomorrow, and look after your knees - you're not gonna be able to buy a new pair :pac:

Rest day today in preparation for Larne Half marathon tomorrow.
    I am using this as a dry run for the Ultra.
    I have no goals for this run other than to complete it without injury and hopefully learn something that might be useful for the target race in 3 weeks time.

Saturday
    Summary:
    21.1 KM in 1:27:24 (4:08 pace) in Larne Half Marathon.
    Placed 92 of 976 finishers. Winning time 1:12:35

Useful tune-up for Connemara Ultra.
    Pretty much the time I hoped for and no injuries during the race.
    I had been concerned about my right knee which has been giving problems for the last few weeks but it felt fine on the day.

Not sure of the route, I allowed plenty of time and sped up on the improved roads over the border to get to Larne 90 minutes before the race started.

I was so engrossed in chatting with Chinguetti who also made the trip up as a tune-up for the Edinburgh Marathon that I was taken by surprise when the whistle went and we headed off north along the coast road.

Wary of putting too much into the run, I planned to take the first 10 km fairly easy and then run the remainder fairly hard. However, I found my legs still quite sluggish from the long runs over the last weeks and I had to work harder than I expected to maintain marathon pace against a strong cross wind over the first half.

Crossed the half way point in 45:01 just after we headed inland for a 5 KM loop to mark up the half marathon distance. I thought at the time that the terrain surface was undulating rather than ascending so was surprised when we arrived at the top of a steep hill running all the way back to the coast. Gravity and wind assisted I managed to power down the next Km in 3:32 which is the fastest split I have managed so far in a race. This brought us back to the sea and a long, lovely section of road along the coast with clear views across the North Channel to Scotland.

I found the homebound stretch a lot easier since the legs had loosened up by this stage and I was chasing down people who had put more into the first section than I had. A steep descent to an off road path along the cost, 300 metres along a concrete section of path I was wary of because of the injury risk and I found myself at the finish in a time I later confirmed at 1:27:24. The splits were (45:01 and 42:23).
    My PB for the HM is 1:25:51 set in a hillier course in Achill last year but I knew in advance I was never going near it on the day. I have done almost no speedwork the last few months and body is still tired from high mileage. I am fairly confident I will be a lot fresher in 3 weeks time.

I learned that the Boards AC vest , which got its inaugural outing on the day, is a bit too big for me and I think I may be better off with something better fitting in Connemara to prevent chaffing.

The other thing of note on the day was the standard of the running.
    My finishing time only got me 92nd place on the day; 24 runners under 1:20 (2.5%) and 119 under 1:30 (12%). Much better stats than anything I have seen for any race down South.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Hey

Raced this myself today. First proper race in nearly a year :eek: and it kicked the crap out of me. And I mean it really kicked the crap out of me, I have been on the throne all evening, stomach is in a jock.

I hoped to run the second half quicker than the first as you did but the wind and inclines left me in tatters. Managed to run slightly quicker the second half but not by much.

I agree with you about the standard I actually commented on it to a couple of my friends. It's even more impressive when you consider other halfs such as Omagh (next week) are on the horizon so probably diluted the field slightly.

I spotted a boards vest today. I don't know if it was you or Chinguetti. I was about to walk over to you and say hello but people were in earshot and I didn't want to go "hello my name is TheRoadRunner what's your ?"

Best of luck with the rest of your training for Connemara.

I don't know if it was you or Chinguetti. I was about to walk over to you and say hello but people were in earshot and I didn't want to go "hello my name is TheRoadRunner what's your ?"
    I can think of worse.
    If your name was ecoli , it might be a slightly more awkward conversation to have.

Sorry to hear about what happened to you afterwards. Its a long way back home even with the new roads and must have been a difficult journey. Do you think its something you ate which caused the problem rather than the race? I had one of the tuna sandwiches in the hall afterwards and no problems.

You are too modest too mention your finishing time? Judging by your performances, I suspect you can still run very badly and knock my finishing time out of sight.

Sunday
    Summary:
    34 KM in 3:07 (5:30 pace) in Glendalough.

P&D schedules a long run the day after a tune-up race but I always was too tired and sore to manage it whilst training for a marathon and opted instead for for a day off.

So I was pleased that I felt quite good when I got up this morning. The effect of the double LSRs is that I am now accustomized to running hard both days in a row and Saturday's 21 KM is a short enough long run compared with the normal 35 KM.

Headed down to Glendalough to do a bit of the Wicklow Way and met GoHard on route who was in progress of completing a loop of the Spink in preparation for the WW Ultra.

I was going a different way today however, so we parted, and I followed the Wicklow Way up Derrybawn, where I somehow managed to wander off the main path, which added an extra loop of about 6 KM, before I got back on toute again . Followed the main trail over to Glenmalure lodge and then completed the loop by heading over the Shay Elliott hill through Laragh back to Glendalough car park.

Felt good throughout and even managed to try and run the Shay Elliott ascent hard but its a long, steep hill approx 2.5 KM in length and could not manage any faster than 6 minute Kms.

No running plans for the Autumn - on previous history most likely I will be resting an injury - but Dingle Ultra Marathon with a route over the Connor pass looks either tasty or insane. If I enter it, loops over the Shay Elliott between Laragh and the Glenmalure Lodge look a good training route.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

I can think of worse.
    Sorry to hear about what happened to you afterwards. Its a long way back home even with the new roads and must have been a difficult journey. Do you think its something you ate which caused the problem rather than the race? I had one of the tuna sandwiches in the hall afterwards and no problems.

Yesterday was my second race in 11 months and in fact was really my first as I ran a xc before Christmas and just did enough to get around. Definitely not something I ate, I think the effort of 13 hard miles just messed up my tummy. It's still not great today.
    You are too modest too mention your finishing time? Judging by your performances, I suspect you can still run very badly and knock my finishing time out of sight.

79 minutes for me. I was actually not in the provisional results so they had to add me afterwards. My clubmates reckoned I was disqualified for taking a taxi but they couldn't prove it:D. I was 4 minutes off my pb but I found the course quite tough, I feel that yesterdays effort on a course like Longford would have been equivalent to 77.30. Having said that I haven't done enough interval training this year to date so I may have not had the finger on the pulse. That will change in the next couple of months hopefully.

Well done again, yesterdays race will definitely help you on a hilly course like Connemara.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GoHardOrGoHome

Sunday
    Summary:
    34 KM in 3:07 (5:30 pace) in Glendalough.

Headed down to Glendalough to do a bit of the Wicklow Way and met GoHard on route who was in progress of completing a loop of the Spink in preparation for the WW Ultra.

Wow! Didn't realise you were doing 34k after a half marathon! Well done. 1:27 for a half is a tune up?! Savage stuff. You're running strong.

Advertisement