Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My UltraRunning log

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭mithril

Yes, I managed to see some of the race as well and really enjoyed it.

I did a 35 KM training run the day after Larne half and I felt it made a difference on the day.

Might not be such a smart idea since I picked up a hip injury doing it on Sunday, although the run felt quite comfortable at the time.

That's part of the calculation you make when you train for an Ultra. The double long runs over the week-ends put a lot of stress on your body and the pendulum can switch easily too far from a good adaption to injury.

Not looking good, unfortunately. I have recovered from the week-end's running and would be up for a shot at the up-hill IMRA race tonight, where I think I could have done well. I am a much stronger uphill runner than downhill, particularly off-road. However, the hip/groin area is still sore and I think it's a torn muscle - adductor if my knowledge of anatomy is correct. If I am right, it's 3-6 weeks recovery. Will get it diagnosed on Monday when my physio returns from holidays.

Tried wearing a compression short and taping for extra tightness but only lasted 60 metres before I got a twinge and abandoned the run. Did manage an easy one hour cycle at least without pain .

Tuesday
    Summary:
    10KM in 5:37 (5:03 pace) Leopardstown race course to Foxrock and back.

Back again running after a week's injury enforced break. Thought it was probably quite serious when I could not walk without pain but physio diagnosed tight muscles causing running the hip movement to go off track, and after agonising probing, seems to have fixed it.

Wednesday
    Summary:
    23.1KM in 1:54 (4:58 pace) Blackrock to Killiney and back.

Very easy with fresh legs after the week's break.

Thursday
    Summary:
    11.1 KM in 1:00 (5:28 pace) recovery run along Sandymount strand and Irishtown.

Felt a lot more tired and sore than I should have today after what was not a particularly tough run yesterday. I don't think the bio-mechanics are quite right yet so back again to the physio next week.

Nice, easy, run along the sea today which appears to have helped.

• Advertisement

Friday
    Easy cross training.

Saturday
    Summary:
    50 KM in 4:06 (4:56 pace) long run in North Westmeath.

Reading John Vonhof's "Fixing your feet" at the moment and trying out a few ideas from it.

First thing in the morning massaging feet with intensive moisturising cream, then Bodyglide lubricant over feet before putting Injinji toe socks on.
    For shoes, Sole heat moulded insole and then a NB 1062 neutral shoe. Shoe/insole combination heavy but provides tremendous shock absorption and managed to avoid blistering entirely in the run which is very rare for me.

Lots of recovery in various country pubs along the way so run not as intense as it might seem.
    Ran first 35 Km at 5:00 and last 15km at 4:50.

Consumed 2 bottles of water, a banana, 2 bottles lucozade, 1 Mars Refuel, 2 bottles of Becks non-alcoholic beer on route.

Sunday
    Did not feel excessively tired and wanted to do a second run of about 20K but hip very inflamed. Since risk of aggravating further greater than potential reward, substituted some easy cycling instead. Have had this issue since WW relay and taking a while to clear up. Back to physio for more treatment later this week.

Hip still niggling so cross-training and stretching in gym while watching the Brazil game.

Tuesday
    Summary:
    3KM in 15:15 (5:05 pace) around Carysfort Park.

Tried to loosen up the hip muscles with massage and thought I noticed an improvement.
    However, still painful to run and when after 3 KM it was clear that I was not improving , abandoned the run early.

Wednesday
    Summary:
    12.52KM in 1:07 (5:22 pace) from Leopardstown race course to Cabinteely and back.

Managed at last to loosen up the hip muscles through a lot of targetted stretching to point I could get a proper run done. Some discomfort at start but started to ease as run progressed.

Thursday
    Summary: 22.6KM in 1:50 (4:54 pace) Blackrock to Killiney Hill and back.

Had physio today, which I thought had fixed the hip problem at the time, but when it came to evening run, not much of an improvement.

Found this tougher than I expected; I think I was adjusting my posture to protect the injury and running form suffered as a consequence.

The only section I felt comfortable on was the hill itself which I managed to run up at a good pace. Passed Krusty_Clown powering up it on the return leg.

Most scenic route in my vicinity, but I think too much concrete for it to be a regular one, and it seems to be well guarded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

You should really give the roads and hills around my area a go. Very scenic, country roads, trails etc. You'd probably have to drive, as I reckon it's a bout 6 miles from where you live (if you're near the Obelisk), but great hills and views. If you want a guided tour at some stage just holler.

You should really give the roads and hills around my area a go. Very scenic, country roads, trails etc. You'd probably have to drive, as I reckon it's a bout 6 miles from where you live (if you're near the Obelisk), but great hills and views. If you want a guided tour at some stage just holler.
    I may take you up on that in the future but for the moment I am planning to move back onto a softer surface and do my running there which I think will help recovery.

Planned rest day today, but it if was not, it would be an injury enforced day off. Feel really tired and battered. The hip socket itself is inflamed which is something that I am inclined to take more seriously than previous niggles. Don't want to be limping around or looking for a hip replacement in 10 years time.

Saturday
    Summary: 24.1KM in 2:16 (5:40 pace) hilly run up 3 rock mountain.

Warmed up first in Marlay and then up and down 3 Rock mountain via Kilmashogue twice.

Hip still sore but movement appears to be more fluid and I think muscles are have loosened.

Ran the up-hill and jogged the downhill slowly.

82 KM in 4:28 cycle.
    Long, easy cycle south along the coast from Blackrock to Newcastle and back again. I am a much weaker cyclist than runner but this was slow even for me.
    Backing away from the double LSRs for the moment to give injury a chance to settle.
    Hopefully this type of workout will help improve my fat burning capability after carbohydrate stocks are depleted.

Just some stretching in the gym.
    No running untilat least Thursday to give the injury a chance to heal. At least the World Cup provides a good distraction.

Making a slower recovery from injury than I would have liked but think I should be OK for next week. Stretching and easy cross-training in gym only. I think I will avoid running totally in the build-up since twice I have aggravated the injury while starting back too early and then gone back to square minus 1.
    Priority is to get to the start line able to run and if that involves loss of fitness, so be it.

Heading off to Iceland tomorrow and will start the Laugavegur Ultra on Saturday ( http://www.marathon.is/ultramarathon).
    I have given it my best shot but injury has not cleared up sufficiently for me to run the race.
    I have tried 2 different physios, several sports massages, stretching, complete rest, active recovery, anti-inflammatories and am still in a position where I limp noticeably while walking and experience discomfort while running even at a slow pace.

Plan will be to power walk the up-hills and attempt to jog the level and down-hills sections with the help of anti-inflammatories.
    I would be delighted to complete the course in any time although there are a number of interim cut-offs which appear aggressive for where I am at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

Best of luck with it. I'll be rooting for you from my armchair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Good luck and looking forward to the post race report. the scenery looks spectacular. hopefully, it will take the mind of any niggles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

All the best! That race is on my definite to-do list (as opposed to the would-like to-do list and the dream-on to-do list) and I'm immensely jealous!

Have a great race!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Best of luck Mithril. Bring home the gold (or finish; whichever sounds more achievable). Hope the form holds-out.

Just got back from Iceland.
    Laugavegur race report is here.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=67102056#post67102056

Saturday
    Summary:
    5KM in 26:10 (5:13pace) on grass around Carysfort Park.
    First run since the ultra and found it tough enough. Had to stop a few times and stretch. Running action not smooth.

Sunday
    Summary:
    21.1KM in 1:43 (4:54 pace) mainly on grass around Marlay Park.

Better effort this. Still needed to stretch a good bit but running quite well after 10KM. Seem to have lost a good deal of sharpness since picked up injury since struggling to sustain a run faster than 4:30 pace even when moving easily in the second half. Equivalent effort was giving me around 4:10, 2 months ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Just read your ultra marathon report there. Serious respect, well done sir.

Monday
    Rest

Tuesday
    Summary:
    5.3KM in 23:50 (4:30 pace) on grass around U.C.D.

Body feels quite fresh now again after a weeks rest. I find a long off-road race takes a lot less out of you than a road marathon.

Tried an aerobic run around U.C.D. sports field but always in some pain, and when after 20 minutes it was clear that I was not able to run it off, abandoned the effort. Not good.

Well done on the running and excellent race report, It's setting you up nicely for Dingle.

Have you any more long runs planned over 26M or just double LSRs from here on in.

Hope the legs get back into shape quickly

Aimman wrote: »
    Well done on the running and excellent race report, It's setting you up nicely for Dingle.

Have you any more long runs planned over 26M or just double LSRs from here on in.

Hope the legs get back into shape quickly

Training is a mess at the moment to be honest. You need to get consistency with the runs and gradually increase the stress on the body and I am not managing to do this with the hip injury.

No more runs over 26 miles for me between now and Dingle.

I was hoping to do the Westmeath marathon on the bank holiday Monday at training pace but would not risk it unless I improve between now and then. Considering a complete rest for the next few weeks and then tackling Dingle with a reduced target.

mithril wrote: »
    I was hoping to do the Westmeath marathon on the bank holiday Monday at training pace.

Oh, that one went under my radar, where is it and is it too late to enter? I am planning 2 LSRs this weekend, might do one on Sunday then the marathon on Monday.

My traiing is going to be a bit erratic too, as weekends will be busy, so I'll have to shuffle double LSRs to weekdays after work.

Aimman wrote: »
    Oh, that one went under my radar, where is it and is it too late to enter? I am planning 2 LSRs this weekend, might do one on Sunday then the marathon on Monday.

QUOTE]

It's the final one of the 32 marathon challenge that 2 local guys are doing.
    http://www.32marathons.com/

Looks like its still open for registration.

• Advertisement

Ah yeah, forgot that was coming to a close on Monday. I might do it, just to be part of the final stage, once its not expensive. Cheers.

Advertisement