Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need ideas for a school trip

Options
  • 15-01-2010 6:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

[FONT=&quot]Hi ![/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]I’m a French teacher and I’m organizing a school trip to Galway with 50 pupils (aged 13-14 / + 4 teachers) from May 26th to June the 1st 2010. We’ve been coming here since 2001 and we always enjoy it. All the kids keep a very fond memory of their trip to Ireland and are very impressed by Irish people friendliness.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]We stay with host families in Galway and we plan the usual sightseeing in Connemara: a trip around Connemara with a stop at the national park with a climb up to Diamond Hill when the weather makes it possible ( only twice so far !!); the cliffs of Moher on foot and then by boat from Doolin to the cliffs (they’re usually sea-sick [/FONT]:D[FONT=&quot]); cycling on the Aran island (they love it) and we spend a day in Galway sightseeing and shopping (they love that even more !). We’ve been twice to Bunratty Castle but we’ve noticed that they don’t enjoy it so much (a bit too long for them).[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]So my question is: what would you advise me to do instead of spending a day at Bunratty? I’m afraid I can’t plan anything too far nor expensive because we have to keep a low budget otherwise some families won’t be able to afford the school trip. We went to Achyll island once (great place) but it’s way too far. We usually travel with a Galway bus company (they’re used to Galway county narrow roads and it’s more interesting to learn about Ireland and the area!).[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]I’ve written to Galway golf club for a golf training session; who knows it might be cheaper than what I expect! I’ve also thought of attending a greyhound race but I’m not sure whether it’s legal with under 16. Practising hurling could be fun too but the kids mustn’t get injured (big pb for us !) and they may have trouble understanding the rules in English (they’re far from being fluent !!). For those two things, I have no idea who I should contact to get information.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]I’d love to give them a ‘real feel’ of Ireland with a live dancing and music session in a pub (or maybe a ‘club’) but I guess it might be illegal to be on a pub premises with under 16 (that’d be in the afternoon or early evening). I wrote to several pubs last year but only got one reply (unfortunately, the date couldn’t fit in).[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Any ideas for fun and cheap activities to fill in a day will be welcome! That’be either on Thursday 27th or Sunday 30th.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Sorry if my post is long and full of mistakes but I’ve tried to be as thorough as possible.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Thanks a lot for your help.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]bénédicte[/FONT]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

We used to go to Letterfrack beach when we where kids, it's a camping site that basically has it's own beach. They used to have a boat that pulled that big banana thing just down the road.

Entertainment.ie has listing for things going on around the country, with any luck there'd be a music festival on somewhere. The Crane bar is a well known trad music pub but like you say the kids are to young to get in at the times they'd be playing music.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Benedicte

Thanks for your reply. I wrote to the Crane last year but got no answer. Since the kids are with the host families at night, we have plenty of time to go to the pub ! I like the crane very much; there's really good music and I like the atmosphere in it. I wonder whether there are other places than pubs where we could go with the kids to listen to gigs.
    I'll have look for letterfrack and check on entertainment.ie. When we come in May, there's sometimes a 'baroque music' festival but it's not exactly in accordance with teenagers' tastes ! unfortunately !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

You might try here http://www.aillweecave.ie/ for part of your day out. Its in the burren and not too far from The Cliffs of Moher. As regards traditional music,Monroes Tavern have music every night http://www.monroes.ie/index.html.I'm not sure if the junior hurling clubs will allow you to train with them because of insurance issues but I've included this link for a local club, based on the east side of the city http://www.liammellowshurlingclub.com/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1. If they can't help you, they might be able to put you in touch with some other club that can. There is an online edition of our local free newspaper, The Galway Advertiser http://www.advertiser.ie/galway that you can check out closer to your arrival, for events on at that time. Good luck with your trip.

Thanks a lot for all the links. I'll send a mail to the hurling club tomorrow and have a look at the monroes' site . Maybe hurling would be possible with a PE teacher at school ? We went to the Caves the first year we came. I keep the idea in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 strombone

Benedicte, The Glenlo Abbey hotel on the outskirts of the city has a nine-hole golf course and can organise archery and clay-pigeon shootings for groups. I organised a work outing at Glenlo along these lines and it went very well (albeit for an older age group). You can eat in the hotel also obviously, and they have an 'Irish style' pub downstairs.

It's an idea to contact them and ask for rates for these or similar use of their great grounds for a day; the grounds have a fantastic view of Lough Corrib.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the tip...I really appreciate ! I've just been on their website and it looks great indeed. I'll definitely contact them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Would you consider a surf trip?

Lahinch is only about a 1hr 30 drive from Galway and there are loads of surf schools like these;
    http://www.lahinchsurfschool.com/
    http://www.surfinginireland.com/
    http://www.westcoastsurfclub.com/learning/lahinch_surfschool.html

It's extremely good fun, not weather dependent and the surf schools are very well able to deal with large groups like schools, universities etc.

Any interest in hill walking? The Twelve Bens are to the north of Lough Corrib and if you get the weather the views are stunning. It would probably be more difficult logistically - given the amount of kids, but it would be a good way to see the country side.

As a general piece of advice you would be well minded to bargain very hard for everything involved in your trip. As with the rest of our economy the tourist trade is suffering a lot at the minute and the promise of 50+ tourists will give you a lot of leverage when it comes to bargaining to get the best price.

Enjoy your trip!

Thanks a lot for your advice !
    I'm not sure about surfing though that's grand; just like hurling, we may have to deal with insurance issues. I'll have to check they're good swimmers!
    I've seen amazing photos about the Twelve bens but how steep and difficult is it ? I know that climbing up Diamond Hill was already like climbing up the Everest for some of our kids the few times we managed to get to the top! Are there any walking maps available? How long would it take us ? actually I'd love to do that !
    The other good point of hill walking is that it's free and the promise of a good day out.
    As for bargaining, you're absolutely right about that. Fortunately, we've been working with the same companies for several years (aran island boat and bikes and the cruise in doolin) and that has helped us to get reasonnable prices so far. We've asked for quotations to different bus companies too. We're also lucky to have a very good contact in Galway for the host families and this very nice lady also helps us with some of the bookings.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭a123

http://www.delphimountainresort.com/index.html

http://www.killaryadventure.ie/

You could also try one of these, adventure centres in connemara, very experienced handling groups of children

based in connemara, but maybe out of your budget, but a fantastic day out

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭loser2old4board

Check this out.

http://www.turoepetfarm.com/index.htm

I haven't been there but I know someone
    who brought a school group there.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

What about going to Galway city centre for shopping? Depending on what part of France you come from, Galway city mightn't seem that exciting to the kids, but they might enjoy it.

When I was younger, we went on a school trip to Lisdoonvarna. We cycled around the Aran Islands, stopping to go swimming in the freezing water, and then cycling to Dún Aengus (not sure of the spelling!).

Again, I agree with a poster above that said to bargain. A lot of places will make a big discount for a large amount of people, especially as the tourist trade is suffering.

Your English is excellent, by the way!

thank you all for the links and tips.
    I've read about 'the famine walk'. Does anyone know about it ? I also thought maybe I should contact galway walking club. Any idea if they organise anything for school groups ?
    The kids love shopping time in galway, that's probably what they like best all the more as we give them some 'free' time. They enjoy cycling on the Aran island...well who wouldn't?!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Looking at my personal list of things around the county, minus the stuff you've done and which wouldn't work for kids or that would be wayyyy to religious to be interesting (Balllintubber Abbey ;-) ... leaves:
    Connemarra:
    - Kylemore Abbey?

Westport:
    - Museum of Country Life (not nearly as far Achill)

Bridget’s Garden (Roscahill) ... kind of new-age-Celticicky (I might get in trouble for saying that ;) .. ) might be too take for kids that age
    Glengowla mines (outside Oughterard) - I have no idea what it's like

Loughrea (lake, pet farm, cathedral, horse museum)
    Athenry (castle, heritage centre)

I'd probably do the Country Life museum ... educational and interesting, and within driving distance of the national Famine memorial and a look at Croagh Patrick too.

Re sessions: based on what you're saving by not going to Bunratty, you could probably pay 2-3 musicians to play a 2-hour session for you in a private room (bar open for soft-drinks only, or perhaps no bar at all). Lots of underemployed gigging musicians in Galway .... [am resisting a wicked temptation to say something rude about Bunratty .... ]

Lads, what's the name of the trad music organisation ... Comalhas? (spelt wrong) I think they've a branch in Spiddal? Barna??? They may be better to contact than a pub (who are intrinsically more interested in tourists who can spend more as the evening goes by)

Oh - and re city outings (she sez wickedly) .. Forthill Cemetery, and tell 'em what happened to the Spanish on the way home from the Inquisition!

Thanks for the help once more!
    I'll keep the idea of the country museum in mind. Is it the one in Castlebare? I'll have to check the transport costs first but the good point is that the museum is free and we can do lots of free actvities nearby though the kids are probably not fit enough for Croagh Patrick!
    I'm going to send a mail to Comhaltas too for the music; I've found a contact in Galway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Irishmarinelife

A very economical option might be a visit to Salthill's aquarium in Galway. http://www.nationalaquarium.ie/

It is very particular to Ireland and will surprise your students with the variety of super interesting animals found on our shores. The staff are excellent there also.

Croagh Patrick in the morning followed by a surf in Carrownisky in the afternoon would be hard to beat. The kids can climb as far up as they want, spectacular views even from 200ft. You could drive back to Galway through the Delphi Valley and Connemara in the evening then if you want more.

Bonne chance!

Merci ! it will also provide us a nice shelter in Galway if it rains ! I've learnt that sunny spells in Ireland often meant...heavy rain ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 happydays2

hi
    lough key forest park has great activities and is ok on the prices , has a thing called Boda Borg check it out www.loughkey.ie its in co roscommon;)

hi!
    thanks for the tip! i've bookmarked it. I'm almost done with the programme: connemara tour with a stop at diamond hill, mayo tour, cycling in Inishmore, golf at glenlo abbey (very friendly people there), dublin on the first day, Cliffs of Moher, and visit + shopping in galway of course ! I wish we could have done more sports but flight rates are expensive this year (even low cost) so we have to limit expenses! I'm expecting an answer for a dancing session (finding cheap premises is the most difficult part).
    Thank you all for your help, I'm really grateful.

Advertisement