Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Smoky tractor

• 15-01-2010 6:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭

I have noticed that our 398 has gotten a little smoky in the last few days or else I am just dreaming but I dont think so.
    Its a kind of grey/blue smoke and smells a bit different than usual, I regularly check oil and again today it has lots of oil. Performance still seems perfectly fine.
    Any idea's??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

babybrian wrote: »
    I have noticed that our 398 has gotten a little smoky in the last few days or else I am just dreaming but I dont think so.
    Its a kind of grey/blue smoke and smells a bit different than usual, I regularly check oil and again today it has lots of oil. Performance still seems perfectly fine.
    Any idea's??

in this order:

change diesel filters
    make sure clean diesel in tank / no water after recent cold weather
    check / recon injectors

after this its onto more serious stuff like rings in engine .. what hours had it done?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭babybrian

Thanks
    I'll have a look tomorrow and change the filters.
    Reconditioned engine 2 years ago so very low hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

should not be an issue this time of year but don't forget to check the breather intake.. air filter..

some tractors often run a bit smokey in cold weather especially if only working around the yard barely reaching correct operating temp.

if you could manage to put a bit of load on her for a hour or so to see if it makes any difference, before you get the spanners out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭mossfort

i find that if you dont keep the tank in the tractor filled up regularly condensation builds up inside which comes through in the filters.
    ive changed the diesel filter in my deutz 3 times in 500 or so hours.
    if its rings you wont notice it burning oil for a another few days.
    if the engine was done it more than likely injectors ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 319 ✭✭cormywormy

I wouldnt really worry too much, just keep a check on the oil level if it starts burning it. My 390 smokes, and i know of 4 other 300 series in my area and they all smoke. But the 300 series wer feckers for breaking engine rings, but your engine was done 2 yr ago so it might not be the problem. Just keep a check on the oil level and as was already suggested, get a plough or something and give it a bit of work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

babybrian wrote: »
    Thanks
    I'll have a look tomorrow and change the filters.
    Reconditioned engine 2 years ago so very low hours.

whats the compression like? does it start ok in cold weather? if you have full tank of clean diesel and new diesel filters, and clean air filter then i would look at injectors next!

Thanks lads
    Starts fine in the cold weather when its heated for 20-30 seconds.
    About 20 loads of slurry to go out next week so that will warm it up.
    And yes it has been only giving in silage for the last few weeks so maybe thats whats wrong (hopefully)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭DanFindy

The weather has been very cold this past while so i wouldnt rule out piston rings they have a habit of giving up in cold weather but definately try all other avenues first, get your injectors tested anyway but masseys are notoriously puffy anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 158 ✭✭Jack C

Just a bit off thread here but I often wonder why MFs 298s and 398s are always valued a couple of k less than the 290 and 390 models.

Turns out it was ony something small, heater pug was almost gone and full of diesel which was causing the smoke to build up when it was at low revs or idle. She's back to her good self again.

Its nice when something is a smaller problem than expected.
    Cheers for the help

• Advertisement
Advertisement