Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Legacy of The Green Party?

Options
  • 15-01-2010 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭

Well we all know that The Green Party is finished - and that when any Party finishes there is inevitably a horrible mess to be cleaned up afterwards.....

So what blots, stains, and permanent damage will the self-gratifying halcyon days of the Green Parties self-indulgent Moron-Fest leave behind for the rest of us to clean up and how long will it be before our House is back in order :(

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Frankly, they are such a mess now and are history, they are not even worth commenting on than to say "good riddance".

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Arnold Layne

They have set back the so called Green Agenda in this country for at least a decade.

At least it shows that small political parties will hop into bed with whoever to get power & lucrative pensions, remember Gormley's Planet Bertie speech prior to the 2007 GE, no matter what they claim their policies to be.

They have given us NAMA and have prolonged FF in Government well past their use by date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

They have set back the so called Green Agenda in this country for at least a decade.

At least it shows that small political parties will hop into bed with whoever to get power & lucrative pensions, remember Gormley's Planet Bertie speech prior to the 2007 GE, no matter what they claim their policies to be.

They have given us NAMA and have prolonged FF in Government well past their use by date.

sums it up pretty nicely

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

The Poolbeg Incenerator and the M3 motorway is their legacy. Nothing but a bunch of hypocrites.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Their other notable legacy is their insistance on providing quasi universal broadband with a substandard mobile technology that is about as reliable as dial up at peak times, and at a time when other countries are installing fibre to the home instead.

Greena Fail (normally spelt without the fada) , what a useless shower of greaseballs :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

As someone who voted for the Greens, they have been a supreme disappointment. They helped give us NAMA, and they have kept Fianna Fail in power far longer than they should have been. All I can say is good riddance once there gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Tenderloins1

Happened to read a book on the Greens from 2006 over the Christmas by Dan Boyle. It was so bright and optimistic..... described the many years taken to build the party from nothing to a party with a host of TDs.
    Yet the Greens so many years building and learning, went into Government five years too late and what have they achieved?

Planning Reform (wont be much building in the next 10 years)
    Insulation standards for new houses.. see above
    An unpopular Carbon Tax
    Cursed in the Dail
    Lessened the education cutbacks, which they had initially been party to..

The biggest thing I'll remember them for though....
    is being asleep while Anglo was Guaranteed.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭oncevotedff

Raiser wrote: »
    So what blots, stains, and permanent damage will the self-gratifying halcyon days of the Green Parties self-indulgent Moron-Fest leave behind

Carbon Tax.

The Greens, what a bunch of morons. Good riddance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭View

Just for the record, I think they are doing pretty well. They've ditched the loopy side of their programme and look like a party committed to doing business. That said, an election any time soon won't do them any favours...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Somebody must have been passing around the 'bitter pills' as Michael McDowell might have said.
    Well, truth about it is they haven't gone away!
    After the next General Election there could be 2 Green TD's or 3 or 4 Green TD's, unlikely to be more than that. Either way they'll be around for another while yet.

So, it's probably too early to write their pol obituary just yet. Will they be another relatively short-lived political party á la PD's, Clann na Poblachta. I think they'll be around for another while yet. They're an ideological party who've come to know politics in the last 3 years. Did they sell out? They'd say no.

• Advertisement

They relied on transfers to get elected last time round. I doubt they'll get preferences next time, as what happened in the local elections. The Greens rely upon this.

What does the GP have?

A leader who was visibly delighted on The Frontline with the flooding and who is looking for legal ways to stop an incinerator in his own constituency.

A smug prat who considers a dongle as broadband. No other country counts this as broadband coverage. A person who FF used to roll out to defend NAMA etc on the airwaves. Where is he now?

A Junior Minister For Food: WHY?

The rest; Mary White who couldn't use a calculator to cost a tax on text messages.

And the rest. of the TDs..... Who are they? Just people with great pensions.

We have a carbon tax which is a tax on the people of this country for monetary gain, not for the betterment of the environment.

They want a water tax but recent events have shown the water supply is either contaminated or leaking through pipes, through no fault of the end user.

The Greens are concerned about Dublin only and do nopt care care about its policies on the rest of the country where 70% of the population live

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Tenderloins1

They've been contesting elections since November 1982 (when they were the Ecology Party of Ireland), so are already around a while. They were founded in 1981.
    Should you care..
    The Manifesto of the Greens Tony Ryan from the 1983 Dublin-Central by-election.

They've ditched an awful lot of the policies such as the Guaranteed Basic Income, although a lot of the polices there were of their time (no VAT on Spare Parts etc)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

View wrote: »
    Just for the record, I think they are doing pretty well. They've ditched the loopy side of their programme and look like a party committed to doing business. That said, an election any time soon won't do them any favours...

Speaking of loopies, they still let a small minority of the loopies/fringe bunch still decide on the outcome for the rest of the nation(!) of a chance to get rid of FF or are we all already forgetting their last vote in the RDS?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Dr. Baltar

As a working class student, the only kudos I can give to the greens is being against the introduction of third level fees.
    Apart from that, I have very little respect for them.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

How, exactly?
    Maybe it's just a pipe dream but I would really love if this country were mature enough to fully understand the realities of small parties and coalition governments. Populist rants are, well, popular but not very helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

taconnol wrote: »
    How, exactly?

I really thought post # 12 from Arnold Layne covered a lot and I suspect he could have kept going if he only had the stomach for it.

Maybe it's just a pipe dream but I would really love if this country were mature enough to fully understand the realities of small parties and coalition governments. Populist rants are, well, popular but not very helpful.

At this point in time the Green Party have earned themselves the same level of respect in Communities around the Country as the local Rapist - while showing about the same level of decency, sincerity and respect for their fellow Citizens......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

At this point in time the Green Party have earned themselves the same level of respect in Communities around the Country as the local Rapist - while showing about the same level of decency, sincerity and respect for their fellow Citizens......

Hard to take this thread seriously when the OP throws up a post like this. You sound like Ian Paisley or Willie McCrea in their better days.

As a matter of interest who do you think should be running the country?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

I really thought post # 12 from Arnold Layne covered a lot and I suspect he could have kept going if he only had the stomach for it.
    Are you able to defend your own claims? Arnold Layne's post was little more than an unfounded populist rant.
    Ah so now we've moved neatly onto discussing rape? Apart from being a pretty offensive comparison to any person who has, you know, been actually raped, your above comment is again an unfounded populist rant. Full marks for pure irrational vitriol.

How, exactly?

Are you able to defend your own claims? Arnold Layne's post was little more than an unfounded populist rant.

Ah so now we've moved neatly onto discussing rape? Apart from being a pretty offensive comparison to any person who has, you know, been actually raped, your above comment is again an unfounded populist rant. Full marks for pure irrational vitriol.

- If only I had a catch-all catchphrase to wheel out as a worn, inadequate, irrelevant, weak defence every time someone expressed an opinion that was valid - yet contrary to my own.

Who's discussing rape? I just mentioned that The Green Party have earned the disrespect of our Nation and compared them to another base, morally bereft, self-serving, pathetic and utterly dishonest member of the fetid side of our Society.... The unfavourable comparison has drawn more indignation from the Rapists actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Who's discussing rape? I just mentioned that The Green Party have earned the disrespect of our Nation and compared them to another base, morally bereft, self-serving, pathetic and utterly dishonest member of the fetid side of our Society.... The unfavourable comparison has drawn more indignation from the Rapists actually.
    thanks for speaking up for all of us Raiser.;) I don't think the Greens are comparable in contempt as some people treat rapists. I don't know that it does anything for anyone to bring rapists into a political discussion.
    Some in Ireland believe are people of their word with strong convictions, some believe the same of other political parties. Some believe the Greens are sell-outs, some believe the same of Labour, Sinn Féin, not of FF or FG I believe, as they're such big catch-all parties.

btw I'm not a rapist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

Well Paul Gogarty has given me the best response for when Gormley comes around looking for my vote again. (F*ck you deputy!)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Can we leave out the unnecessary and distasteful comparisons, please - or at least try not to build the thread around them.

moderately,
    Scofflaw

- If only I had a catch-all catchphrase to wheel out as a worn, inadequate, irrelevant, weak defence every time someone expressed an opinion that was valid - yet contrary to my own.

I'm sorry I was tired and just couldn't think of another phrase for it.

I'm still waiting for proof that the Greens have set back the Sustainability movement in Ireland for decades.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭rubensni

Dr. Baltar wrote: »
    As a working class student, the only kudos I can give to the greens is being against the introduction of third level fees.
    Apart from that, I have very little respect for them.

I think you're wwwwwaaaaaaaaayyyyyyy off the mark with this one. The abolition of third level fees in the first instance benefitted the better off middle classes, not the working classes. The Greens (in solidly middle class constituencies) realise this and kept them off the agenda for that reason. The current (and sneaky) back door system of registration fees are tuition fees rebranded, all the Greens have managed to do is keep the fees (relatively) low.

There will be no increase in the grant system for working class people any time soon, just more of the same situation where massive registration fees will keep the children of the lower middle classes struggling or out of college, the middle to upper middle class super happy with their tiny paments and the working class struggling by with a pittance of a grant payment.

If the Greens were serious about social mobility they would have demanded the introduction of a fees system that hits the upper middle classes with a realistic estimate of the costs of educating their offspring, while at the same time ensuring that the less well off actually get a grant payment (paid on time) that actually reflects the real cost of a college education.

But the Greens are not serious about social mobility or social justice. Instead, they're trapped in a pact with Fianna Fáil that will wipe them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭kev9100

imme wrote: »
    Did they sell out? They'd say no.

Unfortunately for them, the facts say different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭spadder

rubensni wrote: »
    But the Greens are not serious about social mobility or social justice. Instead, they're trapped in a pact with Fianna Fáil that will wipe them out.

They know they're goners, it's the pensions they're after.
    At this stage they will burn baby seals in incinerators if FF tell them to do it.

Its sickens me to the pit of my stomach that any of the Green Party, cynical, little, low-IQ, pretend Politicians are going to draw a pension and leech off the State for the rest of their veggie-toting, nonsense-spouting, Gobshíte lives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

The Poolbeg Incenerator and the M3 motorway is their legacy. Nothing but a bunch of hypocrites.

Nothing wrong with either of those, so its a positive legacy?

Nothing wrong with either of those, so its a positive legacy?

Its positive if you believe in progression not if you're a green and oppose it.

May as well add the private bank enquiry to the green party legacy for this country.

The share price of KY Jelly must have increased since the GP have once again taken it up the a*se from FF

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Zuiderzee

The biggest failure is that people like Andrew Byrne (of Generation Yes/CIPA) and the idiot that is Gogarty have damaged people like O Brolchain Galway West, who I would consider to be decent, and would be good in Parliament, but the parlimentary group and board have allowed FF to get away with so much, they have been destroyed by Fianna Fail as were the PD's

If they were to be of some service to the state, the best thing they could do now is leave Government and force a general election.

Advertisement