Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Rugby treated like dirt by IRFU

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

A quick question: How many players are currently on developement contracts from the Connacht clubs like Galwegians and Bucs? What efforts are being made to develop local talent? The youth setup proved last year that they can compete, the u-18s won the interpro. So why waste so much money on journeymen when it could be better spent on nurturing the talent that is there locally?

I think their is about 20/25. Majority i believe are Corinthians (could be wrong), some UCG, Ballinasloe, a few Galwegians, Bucs & Sligo and then one or two from other clubs.

This is the problem with Connacht Rugby, which most believe is senior management's problem. Carolan (,McFarland too) is doing a great job and many players underage in the branch have acknowledged this. I know a few of Connacht's academy players (past/present) and many of them have never had/heard a single word with Michael Bradley. They reckoned he genuinely doesn't give a f*ck about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭Hyperbullet

I think their is about 20/25. Majority i believe are Corinthians (could be wrong), some UCG, Ballinasloe, a few Galwegians, Bucs & Sligo and then one or two from other clubs.

This is the problem with Connacht Rugby, which most believe is senior management's problem. Carolan (,McFarland too) is doing a great job and many players underage in the branch have acknowledged this. I know a few of Connacht's academy players (past/present) and many of them have never had/heard a single word with Michael Bradley. They reckoned he genuinely doesn't give a f*ck about them.

Thats a lot more than I expected them to have. What happened to John Muldoon's brother Conor? Wasnt he on the squad last season?

Do you reckon this will change when Bradley leaves?

Thats a lot more than I expected them to have. What happened to John Muldoon's brother Conor? Wasnt he on the squad last season?

Do you reckon this will change when Bradley leaves?

Conor Muldoon is still with Galwegians, i believe. Was on a two year development deal which ran out i think and wasn't offered a new one.

My believe is that Michael Bradley just genuinely doesn't rate Connacht at all. And i reckon the team will be completly re-built around many youth player over the next 4/5 years.
    Look at O'Halloran he is maybe 4/5 choice atm :eek:, even though he has been MOTM in both his appearances this year :confused:. And bamboozles in training. It doesn't make sense. If Bradley was in charge it'd be 2/3 seasons b4 he even gets a chance. Which he has done with all of Connacht's decent prospects over the past couple of years.

Like why buy Bernie Upton when Andrew Browne was doing great and David Nolan was doing great things with the Irish u-20s. Now Upton is a fine player but im sure many would prefer money not being spent on him at the expense of our own players development. And he is argueably Connacht's best import of the past 2/3 years. Speaks volumes to me really.

I think Leinster's tactic of Academy players w/ Internationals grooming would do wonders in the West.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭cailinardthair

And i reckon the team will be completly re-built around many youth player over the next 4/5 years.

I think Leinster's tactic of Academy players w/ Internationals grooming would do wonders in the West.
    they do have a system like that already! they pick guys who are playing with school levels and they start putting them trough the levels! i think they start looking when there 14/15! my brother went up to under 20's in it before he got injured! he thought it worked really well!!

they do have a system like that already! they pick guys who are playing with school levels and they start putting them trough the levels! i think they start looking when there 14/15! my brother went up to under 20's in it before he got injured! he thought it worked really well!!

I agree the under-age teams seem to be managed well.

You picked me up wrong. I meant the senior team.
    Leinster have put an incredible amount of faith in underage players over the past few years. Giving them regular games at the ages of 19/20/21, sharing their position with players (around the 30+ mark) over the season. In Connacht, Bradley doesn't do this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Dave Joyce

I agree the under-age teams seem to be managed well.

I don't think everything is all that well in the underage set up. I've heard of young players not been looked after if they get injured when in the Academy and biased selection process depending on your club/school.

At senior level I've heard disturbing things about things having to be done through the numbers ONLY and not all of the blame here lies with Bradley.

Dave Joyce wrote: »
    I don't think everything is all that well in the underage set up. I've heard of young players not been looked after if they get injured when in the Academy and biased selection process depending on your club/school.

I don't know about that. It was all Bucs/Galwegians but i've noticed Corinthians/Monivea/Ballinasloe have been noted in selections with their improvements over the past 2/3 years.
    At senior level I've heard disturbing things about things having to be done through the numbers ONLY and not all of the blame here lies with Bradley.

I don't seem to catch your drift. Could you expand?

It was all Bucs/Galwegians but i've noticed Corinthians/Monivea/Ballinasloe have been noted in selections with their improvements over the past 2/3 years.

Well, its still quite bad as far as the underage squads go.
    I don't seem to catch your drift. Could you expand?

I just mean, from what I've been told that individuality/flair is kinda frowned on and its far preferred to through the numbers/motions. I mean, just look at the difference in Paul Warwick with the coaching he has received in Munster. While he was a great player with Connacht his flair and ability has come so much more to the fore now.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭figs86

I mean, just look at the difference in Paul Warwick with the coaching he has received in Munster. While he was a great player with Connacht his flair and ability has come so much more to the fore now.

Not really a fair comparison - Look at the two teams he played on - his gameplay was dictated by players on his team.

At Connacht he was on a team that was struggling to do the basics right. No point making breaks, cross kicks or pulling moves (flair!) that nobody else on the team is able to pull off or support him on.
    Then at Munster he has extraordinary players alongside him.

I would wager that he had all the flair and ability whilst at Connacht but was wise enough to change his style of play to suit the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,251 ✭✭✭Goose81

tomombo wrote: »
    Connacht rae treated like muck by the IRFU tried to close us down and all. Could this be the year?

http://www.thesportreview.com/tsr/2010/01/connacht-rugby-2010-pivotal-year/

Create some of your own players and then you have a right to moan.
    The IRFU wont give you a team of imports and rightfully so,if you cant contribute any decent players then disband!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

Goose81 wrote: »
    Create some of your own players and then you have a right to moan.
    The IRFU wont give you a team of imports and rightfully so,if you cant contribute any decent players then disband!

I don't think any Connacht fan wants a 'team of imports', just better management of thier academy and team. They have good young players but aren't bringing them through like other provinces but this can be fixed.

As i made the point earlier. Bernie Upton has been the best import Connacht have brought in recently, no doubt. But i reckon most, if not all Connacht fans would have preferred David Nolan & Andrew Browne given a good run in the first team as opposed to cameo appearances through-out and having to wait until they're in their mid-twenties for a real run out.
    Look at Damien Browne, never really given a chance at Connacht, then made his way into the Saints, then Brive starting 15.

Not really a fair comparison - Look at the two teams he played on - his gameplay was dictated by players on his team.

Actually, I think its a very fair comparision and Connacht have/had some very good players but my point was that things had to go through the numbers which stymied his natural flair.
    I would wager that he had all the flair and ability whilst at Connacht but was wise enough to change his style of play to suit the team.

So, you reckon that even since he started with Munster his game/ability hasn't become better and better???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 tomomboII

Fionn Carr is a serious player, future irish international in my eyes...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

Its a joke they're not given equal funding as the other provinces.

If Connacht is to grow then having a decent tam is vital. If Munster, Leinster or Ulster were bottom of the ML every year there wouldn't be too many fans turn up to see them.

If the game is to grow there it has to inspire the youth of Connacht. Make them want to play rugby. At least Irelands success will have a positive impact throughout the country.

Lets face it, if Connacht could become more competitive and grow the game it would mean Ireland would have 4 teams thats producing players. Thats alot better then 3 teams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

tomomboII wrote: »
    Fionn Carr is a serious player, future irish international in my eyes...

You could have used a little bit more imagination tbh.

Banned, again.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Des wrote: »
    You could have used a little bit more imagination tbh.

Banned, again.
    ... and site banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Joyce Country

I'm from galway and I know in my circle of friends most of us won't go give any money to the irfu in the form of jerseys/ticket sales until equal funding is put in place and connacht given a fair lash of the whip as they say. Do you think munster or ulster would put up with this inequality?

Advertisement