Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tyson

Options
  • 15-01-2010 7:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭

Tyson joined our family on Christmas eve. He is an eleven week old ( tiny ) minature terrier and abselutley adorable. He is very playful and has his own antics already. He has a bed, but refuses to sleep in it. He gathers all his toys, bones, christmas stocking ( which he discovered and loves ) and puts them either in front of the open fire on the floor ( where he loves to sleep ) on back in the space where the Christmas tree was. If I take them and put them back in his bed, he takes them out and puts them back where he had them ( I never saw a dog do this before )

The last few days, he has found a santa sack and dragged this to the hallway and made a bed in the corner for himself, and takes all his toys from there to the fire and back again.

First question - should I leave him in the hall in the new bed he has made for himself, or be the boss and try and make him use the bed we gave him? Though most mornings when we wake up he asleep on the floor front of the fire.

Second question - House training. The first couple of days were mad, trying to following him every time he moved or crouched down etc. Then he was doing ok enough, used the papers well enough when I put him on them after seeing him going to wee ( after using the same paper placed on wee previously ) and then going to the papers himself. I tryed taking him outside yesterday, he sniffed around alot, did nothing and when I brought him back into the house he weed on the floor as soon as he came in. Same again today. What am I doing wrong?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭SarahSassy

Congrats on the new arrival :) Any photos?

SS

PS the name is brilliant esp as he is so tiny :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Wizard007

Hi Sarah. As soon as I put them on the PC I'll post one. Thank you, himself here and my daughter were trying loads of names but Tyson seemed to suit most lol. Though it is odd calling "Tyson" and this tiny little thing comes running around the corner :)

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭supermum1

You could try crate training, could work well for all the issues. Sounds like it could be down to insecurity. Crate training gives dogs a place that is just theres. Also works brill for house training

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

If he's comfortable using the paper continue using it, gradually moving it closer and closer to the back door, then eventually moving it outside, he will eventually learn to go outside to pee. He is still v.young so expect accidents, its not that you are doing anything wrong. Try taking him outside when he eats and wakes up as this is the most likely times he will need to relieve himself, when he does relieve himself don't forget to praise him alot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Wizard007

Thank you both. I have looked at other threads here and found some more good advice also.

Supermum1, I was reading about the crate this morning and I might try it and see what happens. Thank you :)

Lrushe, I'm half way across the kitchen ( don't laugh ) with the news papers and he has used it several times today. I took him outside for a while again, and same thing, came in and peed on the paper. I give him little treats every time he uses the paper. I'll keep at it and see how it goes. Thank you :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭supermum1

it's definitely worth a try!! saves alot of cleaning up!! this is the one I have http://ecopet.ie/ourshop/prod_693290-Small-dog-crate.html

Hope it works, good luck!!

Advertisement