Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New PCIe graphics card won't boot

Options
  • 15-01-2010 7:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭

I've purchased a new graphics card from Komplett which arrived today, put it into my HTPC and the machine won't POST anymore. Now everything was well packaged and no seals were broken, so it all looks fine.

I was replacing an X800 gto2 with a HD4550, the newer I believe is a PCI-express 2.0 card, and my motherboard is DFI NF4 SLI-DR, which is PCI-express 1.0 I think.

As far as I understand it, all components are downwards compatibile, at least that's what the google searches lead me to believe.

Does anyone know what I could try to get the card to work, before I send it back?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

You might have confused the mobo and locked it up; pull out and reinsert the HD4550, reset the CMOS (pull out mobo battery for a minute, hit the CLR_CMOS switch if there's one, replace battery) and try again.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭crótach

I tried it just now, no difference.

In fact the mobo behaves exactly the same without the graphics card and with the HD4550 inserted. 4 red leds come on and it doesn't pass POST.

It's like it's not recognising the card as a graphics card at all. And I'm already running the latest BIOS for the NF4. :( The board's been out of support for 3-4 years now...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

Did you discharge yourself of the static before you started working on the PC ?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

crótach wrote: »
    I tried it just now, no difference.

In fact the mobo behaves exactly the same without the graphics card and with the HD4550 inserted. 4 red leds come on and it doesn't pass POST.

It's like it's not recognising the card as a graphics card at all. And I'm already running the latest BIOS for the NF4. :( The board's been out of support for 3-4 years now...

According to this thread about the LEDS on a similar DFI board they seem to mean the following:

Diagnostic LEDs.
    4 LEDs on = Power applied
    3 LEDs on = CPU has been detected OK
    2 LEDs on = RAM has been detected OK
    1 LED. on = VGA has been detected OK
    0 LEDs on = System has booted to the Operating System.

It does not seem to be passing the CPU detection stage. Perhaps try reseating the CPU?

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭crótach

It works with the old graphics card (passes POST, but the video RAM is fried). I get 4 leds with or without the HD4550.

I went off to Peats and bought a 8400GS card, works fine.

My only guess is that the HD4550 arrived DOA. Or that the board is incompatibile, which would be strange given the PCI Express standard. Either way it looks like I'm sending it to Komplett for them to figure it out - I don't have any other desktop PC to try it out in :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement