Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A FTA system with 12 movie channels and Setanta Sport News?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭danny004

Originally Posted by Tony
    he may well unknowingly try to sell to a guard who happened to be in a bad mood

For Gods sake get a grip of yourselves and be real what would a guard in a bad mood be able to do him for "false advertising" because
    1)There is someone 30 euro cheaper than him in the country

2)He said that you can get 14 FTA film channels and technically you can and beside the number of channels opening and closing each week vary.

3)He said RTE will be available on satellite from 2012 to 2014. I dont think anyone would be buying a free to air system in anticipation of a service two years down the road ,I think it would be different if he said it was coming in the next six months and yes it is probably not true.

The guy could argue at the time of going to press as far as he knew he was the cheapest ,there was 14 movie channels and he has no knowledge to the contrary that RTE wont launch FTA by 2012.
    I would be more concerned if this guy was 300 euro more expensive than rivals ,he was promising RTE in next 6 months ,you could get sky movies FTA and most important his installation work was completly sub standard but from reading this thread none of the above seem to be the case.
    If you want to talk about false advertising go to the telecoms companies about BB speed.
    By the way I have no knowledge of this person ,his company or work it just seems this thread is a witch hunt about very little. People will buy a FTA system at a competitive rate not the cheapest not the most expensive but they will get what they pay for and this kind of advertising can be seen on the Cork evening echo every day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Think you need to get a grip there chief, you have missed the point entirely

danny004 wrote: »
    For Gods sake get a grip of yourselves a

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭danny004

Sorry Tony
    I was giving my view the same way everyone else and your right I have missed the point Im still not sure what a guard in a bad mood would do lol

danny004 wrote: »
    Sorry Tony
    I was giving my view the same way everyone else and your right I have missed the point Im still not sure what a guard in a bad mood would do lol

It was tongue in cheek Danny

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

After looking at todays local Echo newspaper it seem's Supreme Satellite Systems is no longer the cheapest at €199 he has two other fella's that us local installers never heard of before advertising beside him and they are installing free to air for € 179.
    Mmmm i see a price war on the Horizon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

i'm presuming that these guys selling FTA systems are using cheap stb's

i've used the comag ones, and found while they served their purpose, they were a bit awkward to rescan and reorder the channels, when ever new channels came online or when existing channels changed transponder etc

i've said it before, but personally i believe a Freesat box is the best bet, it'll auto update the channels, you have a 7/8 day epg and a freesat+ box will allow recording.

i know that you wont get all the fta channels, but it is a very convenient and user friendly system, well worth the extra money imo.

i had a humax freesat box, and i have recently changed to a Humax freesat pvr, i'm very happy with it and would recommend it to anyone thinking of going the FTA route

(i took the fta route before the recession took hold)

One of the guys is supplying Triax boxes at a price less than €200 i would say they are using cheap STB'S.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

scaller wrote: »
    I also doubt that this crowd are using branded Freesat boxes installed For €199 more like a cheap budget free to air kit.

Not sure about that Scaller. You(I, anyway one in the trade) can get a Goodmans SD Freesat(for example) for £30 then add a decent MK3 or MK4 kit and your cost to me(you) is WELL under €100. Taking into consideration to usual costs (insurance, Mr Taxman etc) you would still be making a considerable take from doing an install for a good bit less than €200 say €160.

BTW, I am not supremesatellite!!!

azzeretti wrote: »
    Not sure about that Scaller. You(I, anyway one in the trade) can get a Goodmans SD Freesat(for example) for £30

Where can they be got for £30 ? I'm paying my wholesaler way more at the minute. PM me if you like

• Advertisement

Not sure about that Scaller. You(I, anyway one in the trade) can get a Goodmans SD Freesat(for example) for £30 then add a decent MK3 or MK4 kit and your cost to me(you) is WELL under €100. Taking into consideration to usual costs (insurance, Mr Taxman etc) you would still be making a considerable take from doing an install for a good bit less than €200 say €160.

BTW, I am not supremesatellite!!!

I dont buy freesat boxes in the uk. A freesat box and mk4 dish deliverd to my door from a supplier in Ireland will set me back between €110-€120 and thats with out cable, coach bolts and plugs, brick buster, connecters and a cable hole tidy i dont think €80 would cover me driving between 15-20 miles spend up to 2 hours doing a neat install and then sit down for a further 30-45 mins explaining how everything work and then pay my taxes and insurance and diesal cost's. I can do an install for €150 but the customer will get a very cheap satellite dish and receiver i could do the install in less than 30 mins and i could just walk out the door and leave the instruction book on the kitchen table. But that's not me i take pride in my work and have been in the Aerial business a long time.

The point of all this thread is since last August a lot of so called installers have come out of the wood work destroying this buisness misinforming customers also supplying cheap free to air kits and undercutting everyone else just to get the job.

The point of all this thread is since last August a lot of so called installers have come out of the wood work destroying this buisness misinforming customers also supplying cheap free to air kits and undercutting everyone else just to get the job.

I know, I wasn't trying to support this guys I was just trying to point out that it is possible to get a good quality install with good kit for a bit less these days,
    I dont buy freesat boxes in the uk. A freesat box and mk4 dish deliverd to my door from a supplier in Ireland will set me back between €110-€120

Seriously? This is kind of off topic but why are you using an Irish supplier when you can get a multiple of wholesalers in the UK, delivery for a considerable amount less?

Can you send me a pm to where i can get a Freesat box for £30

Seriously? This is kind of off topic but why are you using an Irish supplier when you can get a multiple of wholesalers in the UK, delivery for a considerable amount less?

Azzeretti I dont mean to argue with you but who specificially are these multiple wholesalers? I really would love to know as I'd like to lower my price and so far there is only one wholesaler who will sell official freesat SD to me at considerably more than £30

Can you send me a pm to where i can get a Freesat box for £30

OK, I slightly exaggerated, I checked my past orders and it's actuallyt £33(obviously ex-VAT) if you order 10 or more. I spent a while contacting many wholesalers in the UK and most are similar in price. I settled on one, so far and the pricing is only visible to users with an account.

I will send both you and Tony a PM with the name of the supplier and a screen shot of the pricing via my login.

Mind you, I did ask you guys many months ago for the name of your wholesalers and I didn't get one reply......??

EDIT: I can't insert an image to a PM!

Mind you, I did ask you guys many months ago for the name of your wholesalers and I didn't get one reply......??

I do not recall you asking to be honest and its not really a surprise that no one else was forthcoming in a competitive marketplace . Are you in the trade yourself may I ask? Thanks for the PM

Edit: I can PM you my email if its is easier. Are you sure these suppliers will sell to ROI ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Finne1993

A freesat box and mk4 dish deliverd to my door from a supplier in Ireland will set me back between €110-€120

Time for a chat with your suppliers, A well known Irish Satellite and Aerial supplier will sell you the Grundig Freesat SD box and MK4 dish for €62 + VAT if you've a trade account.
    And by the way I'm not connected in any way to them, I'm a very satisfied customer.

Tony wrote: »
    I do not recall you asking to be honest and its not really a surprise that no one else was forthcoming in a competitive marketplace . Are you in the trade yourself may I ask? Thanks for the PM

Edit: I can PM you my email if its is easier. Are you sure these suppliers will sell to ROI ?

I am just starting out in the trade, although the high insurance cost is putting me off. I have ordered and received from these guys and there is no problme being in Ireland.

BTW, Finne is correct. I would look around, I seriously found LOADS of wholesalers way cheaper than in Ireland.

I will PM you my email address and if you email me I will return the mail with details.

I am just starting out in the trade, although the high insurance cost is putting me off. I have ordered and received from these guys and there is no problme being in Ireland.

BTW, Finne is correct. I would look around, I seriously found LOADS of wholesalers way cheaper than in Ireland.

I will PM you my email address and if you email me I will return the mail with details.

Pm sent thanks. Thanks for the clarification. Yes insurance is expensive and the problem is some installers openly admit to not having it. If you are buying from the Uk you must also factor in warranty costs as you will almost certainly have to ship some boxes back for warranty purposes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭kuro_man

Didn't you guys form an installer association recently?
    Why don't you get the association to buy in bulk from the UK and then redistribute among members for a small markup to cover costs/returns etc? Or is this illegal under competition laws?

You could also negotiate cheaper insurance.

kuro_man wrote: »
    Or is this illegal under competition laws?

Yes that would be a cartel

• Advertisement

Yes that would be a cartel

Well, you could get around that by making all members sign a not-for-profit agreement on all stock bought buy the top-level trading company (ISAA). This would be transparent and would allow for any member to freely access bulk orders at a better price. Obviously the NFP agreement would mean all the cost of delivery etc could be incurred by the ISAA and nothing withheld after the inital cost of purchase. Each new memebr could then be added as a shareholder to the company.

It would be take a bit of setting up but would help all round.

Honestly I dont see that ever working or happening. No offense and forgive my bluntness but that would just never happen, its totally unrealistic. However if somebody wants to attempt this i'd be happy to buy from them but put aside a fair bit of money to cover lawyers fees when the competition authority come looking.

BTW who will front the money for the stock?

Well, you could get around that by making all members sign a not-for-profit agreement on all stock bought buy the top-level trading company (ISAA). This would be transparent and would allow for any member to freely access bulk orders at a better price. Obviously the NFP agreement would mean all the cost of delivery etc could be incurred by the ISAA and nothing withheld after the inital cost of purchase. Each new memebr could then be added as a shareholder to the company.

It would be take a bit of setting up but would help all round.

Honestly I dont see that ever working or happening. No offense and forgive my bluntness but that would just never happen, its totally unrealistic. However if somebody wants to attempt this i'd be happy to buy from them but put aside a fair bit of money to cover lawyers fees when the competition authority come looking.

I'm not saying there wouldn't be difficulties (or flaws in the theroy) but it's akin to the opensource philosophy that has certainly worked in the software world. I had another venture many years ago where we cut the cost of one particular product so much by doing bulk buys that it burst up the cartel's hold on the marketplace - well, almost.

The reality is that is would be very difficult to implement, I was just throwing it out there I suppose!
    Most likely wouldn't need any money up front if the organistation was reconised enough. Or simply charge a member joinging fee, not too difficult to be honest.

Regardless, I wouldn't be getting involved in it, it was just a though, is all!

Regardless, I wouldn't be getting involved in it, it was just a though, is all!

Fair enough but lets stick to what is possible. I've emailed the supplier you kindly sent me, I had been in touch with them before but they refused to sell Freesat to ROI, I'm hoping this has changed.

As I suspected the wholesaler you mentioned pricing of will not sell to the Republic. Not sure how you were able to get them shipped to you.

"I am replying to your enquiry due to the fact that I tend to deal with all sales in the Republic.

No is the answer to your question, ****** (wholesaler) has signed an agreement with Freesat stating that they will only sell into the U.K."

As I suspected the wholesaler you mentioned pricing of will not sell to the Republic. Not sure how you were able to get them shipped to you.

"I am replying to your enquiry due to the fact that I tend to deal with all sales in the Republic.

No is the answer to your question, ****** (wholesaler) has signed an agreement with Freesat stating that they will only sell into the U.K."

PM sent.

Finne1993 wrote: »
    Time for a chat with your suppliers, A well known Irish Satellite and Aerial supplier will sell you the Grundig Freesat SD box and MK4 dish for €62 + VAT if you've a trade account.
    And by the way I'm not connected in any way to them, I'm a very satisfied customer.

Can you pm me the contact details for the well known supplier in Ireland because i buy from nearly them all and at the moment the price i posted is the best i can get including vat and delivery. I know a good few of the suppliers were/are selling Grundig sat4free sd boxes which i am not interested in.
    Thanks

I know a good few of the suppliers were/are selling Grundig sat4free sd boxes which i am not interested in.
    Thanks

Yes I hear there are firmware/channel update issues with these boxes

Yes I hear there are firmware/channel update issues with these boxes
    I gave up using sat4free boxes about 8 months ago they were nearly always crashing some i bought were stuck on standby and compared to Freesat boxes the sat4free were too slow to respond to the remote. I was paying €50 plus Vat at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

I gave up using sat4free boxes about 8 months ago they were nearly always crashing some i bought were stuck on standby and compared to Freesat boxes the sat4free were too slow to respond to the remote. I was paying €50 plus Vat at the time.

It wasnt just the SD versions. The whole bush range were affected by an OTA update. I have a GFSAT200HD that died and didnt come back to life. I actually took it apart to try and find the problem on the board.

Remember this ?
    http://www.joinfreesat.co.uk/index.php/official-harvard-statement-on-box-failures

• Advertisement

Can you pm me the contact details for the well known supplier in Ireland because i buy from nearly them all and at the moment the price i posted is the best i can get including vat and delivery. I know a good few of the suppliers were/are selling Grundig sat4free sd boxes which i am not interested in.
    Thanks

PM sent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Rippy

Thanks

I would also like to know. Cannot get anywhere near that price.
    PM me please.

Guys, got far too many PM's to reply to them all, its www.tvtrade.ie

I think he deserves a mention as he without doubt has the keenest prices I've seen UK or Ireland.

By the way Dave if you're reading (I think you do post here occasionally), I think a few free dishes or aerials might come in handy!! ;););)

Thats a joke to anyone who's ready to jump the gun!!

Guys, got far too many PM's to reply to them all, its www.tvtrade.ie

I think he deserves a mention as he without doubt has the keenest prices I've seen UK or Ireland.

By the way Dave if you're reading (I think you do post here occasionally), I think a few free dishes or aerials might come in handy!! ;););)

Thats a joke to anyone who's ready to jump the gun!!

I'd say everyone knows about this site, they are WAY more expensive than you say earlier (http://tvtrade.ie/show/336,Freesat-SD-Receiver-and-Satellite-Dish-Kit) this kit is €91 before VAT? I can get the same including delivery from the UK (don't forget there is no VAT payable on any purchase from the UK) for considerably less.

Actually, just re-reading your post, are you saying the listed price on the website isn't the same as you would get if you have a trade account?

Actually, just re-reading your post, are you saying the listed price on the website isn't the same as you would get if you have a trade account?

Yes.

Anyway, probably way too much information in this thread, time to get back on topic or close it up. :)

Anyway, probably way too much information in this thread,

Think that horse already bolted once trade prices were published here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 skywalker77

Hi guys,
    back to the thread, i got a flyer about supreme satellite systems in the door and i rang the derek mentioned, he told me that the rtes would be on it soon, cant remember the date, but looking at some of your comments i am very worried that its not true.
    He had some polish guy call out and do it, hacked a big hole in the front of the house, ran a cable from the chimney totally crooked. what a mess. I had a row with the installer he was so rude i just wanted him gone.
    Where could i get a reputable "tradesman" in the rosslare harbour area to fix this debacle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Saw an ad for this company in local papers as well as getting a flyer in the door-very wary when i saw it was printed on A4 sheet with bad spelling! Checked elsewhere about RTE going fta and it looks dubious.How much bending the truth can he get away with?

Hmmmm two guys with their first posts digging up an old thread?

• Advertisement

A search with google led me here.btw the link to supremesatellites directs me to vistaprint and create your website for free-its only a free months trial so how valid is a guarantee on these systems if the website isn't even in existence anymore.Don't be so suspicious of new posters! Be nice if I had some info before I fork out 200 quid on a satellite system from this crowd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭shinobi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

heh, just what I thought! I wondered about PM-ing Micro but this guys reputation is already trashed I think.

According to the posts here and his previous with Sky his reputation is well and truly shot. By the way where do you get a "magic box"? its mentioned on the flyer

Hi guys,

Where could i get a reputable "tradesman" in the rosslare harbour area to fix this debacle.

Pm sent to you with Honest Decent local installers in your Area

Hi guys,
    back to the thread, i got a flyer about supreme satellite systems in the door and i rang the derek mentioned, he told me that the rtes would be on it soon, cant remember the date, but looking at some of your comments i am very worried that its not true.
    He had some polish guy call out and do it, hacked a big hole in the front of the house, ran a cable from the chimney totally crooked. what a mess. I had a row with the installer he was so rude i just wanted him gone.

Word of Mouth is Good and Bad Advertising.

As i said before none of us local installers here in Co Wexford heard of this Derek fella or Supremesatellites until a few months ago. We reckon he has jumped on the Digital switch over band wagon. And this crowd dont Know one end of an Aerial from another thats why he is telling people that the Irish stations will be free on Satellite.

• Advertisement

Fair enough

zerks wrote: »
    A search with google led me here.btw the link to supremesatellites directs me to vistaprint and create your website for free-its only a free months trial so how valid is a guarantee on these systems if the website isn't even in existence anymore.Don't be so suspicious of new posters! Be nice if I had some info before I fork out 200 quid on a satellite system from this crowd.

I saw a flyer today belonging to Supremesatellite. The mobile phone number has changed from a previous flyer that was doing the rounds . The flyer was done up on a A4 sheet very cheap looking anyhow now this crowd/Guy are Advertising a Supreme HD Deluxe + system for €449 also did anyone ever hear of a Supreme Free to Air Family pack. I dont think Supremesatellite are the cheapest in Ireland.

449 notes is hardly recession busting.Supreme Family Pack? That must be new,never heard of anything like that before,does anyone have this?

zerks wrote: »
    449 notes is hardly recession busting.Supreme Family Pack? That must be new,never heard of anything like that before,does anyone have this?

It's His/Their new way of Glorifying Free to air channels.

• Advertisement
Advertisement