Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Downloads for new laptop? Definitely need a spellchecker

• 15-01-2010 7:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭

Hey. I'm the proud owner of a new laptop. I had my last one for over five years and have long since forgot where I found all the little things that made my own laptop so personal.
    I know, for example, on my last laptop, I had a spellchecker that acted like the MS Word one did, so, whenever I was typing a message (like this one) it would put nice red squiggly lines under misspelled text and when I clicked on the word, it would give me suggestions. Now, I find it difficult to tell if I've spelled squiggly properly.
    Can anyone tell me where I could find a spellchecker like that one, and also recommend any other good things I should download. I do remember having to download Java on my last laptop so that I could play Jet Slalom (that game is mega addictive!).
    But, I want to be very, very careful not to get any viruses. My old computer had a few minor ones that I just couldn't get rid of. I currently have a trial version of McAfee Security Protection to, um, protect and secure me - but I've no idea how good it is.
    Thanks for any help!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Download chrome or firefox for a spell checker in your web browser.

Oh and download microsoft security essentials, it's pretty good for viruses and the likes and it's free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

download avira as your anti virus software.

ccleaner is a good program to clean junk off your system

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭xoxyx

Cheers! I've bookmarked the ninite page (first bookmark!). Are there any downsides to Chrome? I know I tried Firefox before and had difficulties getting into a lot of sites.
    I think I'm ok for anti virus 'cause I can get Norton free from work. I just don't have it yet but assume McAfee will tide me over for the next week or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭davenewt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

z_topaz wrote: »
    I know, for example, on my last laptop, I had a spellchecker that acted like the MS Word one did, so, whenever I was typing a message (like this one) it would put nice red squiggly lines under misspelled text and when I clicked on the word, it would give me suggestions. Now, I find it difficult to tell if I've spelled squiggly properly.
    Can anyone tell me where I could find a spellchecker like that one
    If you're using Firefox, you want this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭unnameduser

Here is a list of items that I would install on a fresh new machine (except some of the techhy things that most people wouldn't use)

Antivirus - Free: Avast or Paid: ESET NOD32
    Firewall - Comodo or Zonealarm
    Media Player - VLC Player
    DVD Burner - DVD Flick
    Adobe Reader, Adobe Flash, Java
    Ccleaner for regular junk clean ups
    Malwarebytes antimalware for regular malware scans
    Revo Uninstaller to ensure removing programs is done 100%
    CutePDF to print to PDF

Use the Decrapifier tool to get rid of the junk that comes with most new PC's

Don't forget to get all the latest updates too!

Oh and Tallon thanks for the link to Ninite - its v good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Oh and Tallon thanks for the link to Ninite - its v good.

Cheers, I really can't stress enough how good that programme is.
    Its a batch file so it only takes seconds to download and when you rebuild a machine, you just let it run and it will install all those programmes for you :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

would definitely recommend zonealarm firewall. it's free and i think it's the best firewall out there.

also check the sticky at the top of the forum. most of what's on my laptop i got from there.

Advertisement