Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sandeman's Pub Crawl, Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

This is gonna be a crazy reply a solid 6 months after your original post, but here goes.

I work as a tour guide for the company that runs the pub crawls in Dublin and have been on them many a night. It's absolutely unreal in the words of one of the lads I work with "If you can't pull on the pub crawl check your dick at the door"

I dunno what that means, but the sentiment is accurate.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Well whatever you do avoid the so-called Literary Pub Crawl..its run by a couple of bad-natured old queens whose "artistic" dialogue is peppered with innacuracies,falsehoods and extreme levels of unfunnyness.
    I booked it for 25 people in work and one of them rang up to give out to me that i hadnt confirmed it with him..i said i thoght the fact that i'd booked it and gave you my number was confirmation enough and he went all huffy.
    They also take a dim view of people actually drinking on the tour,sniffing haughtily if you try to make conversation with them.
    Pair of turds!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

No drinking on a literary tour? There is something very wrong there!

No drinking on a literary tour? There is something very wrong there!

No drinking on a literary PUB tour dont forget!

One of the old queens was at pains to point out over the phone that it was more about the literary content than the drinking...he then proceeded to tell us that we'd have to sit down in the first pub even though there was no room to stand.
    He took exception to me sniggering at his toned-down version of the waxies dargle including an erroneous reference to where the name came from.

If I wasn't in the business, I.E I wasn't trying to gain something out of it, I'd recommend you bitch about them on Tripadvisor. But sure I can't advise you to do that at all.

If groups want to do this one deals can be arranged to make it awesome value, I do know that.

• Advertisement

errlloyd wrote: »
    If I wasn't in the business, I.E I wasn't trying to gain something out of it, I'd recommend you bitch about them on Tripadvisor. But sure I can't advise you to do that at all.

If groups want to do this one deals can be arranged to make it awesome value, I do know that.

Well i booked it for 25 people and it was utterly rubbish value...never again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Might as well re-ignite this thread since the pub crawl is still going with a much improved website. Wondering if anyone has any experience with the pub crawl these days here in Dublin? Thinking about actually doing it one of these nights!

Literally just in the door from tonight's!!

Yeah its still going strong here in Dublin 7 nights a week, I'll break it down roughly.

Structure:

You begin between 7:30 and 8:15 in the Workmans on Wellington Quay. Unfortunately there is no more free half hour of beer, but we've replaced it with a free pint of Heineken, Guinness or Bulmers. We leave the Workman's at 8:45 and go on to the Garage. In the Garage you get 3e pints or 3e cocktails with your wristband. After that we go to O Neils on Suffolk St, there you get a free shot of Sambuca with every full price alocholic drink ordered. After O Neils we go to the Poterhouse in Temple bar, where you get a free shot of Mickey Finn (soon to be upgraded to lime vodka). Then depending on the night you either go to Purty Kitchen or Shebeen Chic as your final bar (getting a free shot with every drink in each), and either the Mezz, The Workmans or The Kitchen as the club. Workmans and the Kitchen have no cover charge, the Mezz (which is free) gives you a free shot on entry.

Night Breakdown

Monday: Smaller pub crawls, usually around 15-20 people. Shebeen and Mezz finisher. Usually Monday's have long term travelers on them, so I think the group is a little more chatty. Pubs are quite quiet, but great bands playing in O'Neils, Porterhouse and Shebeen so the atomsphere is pretty good.

Tuesday: Similar size to Monday. Purty Kitchen and Mezz finisher. Tuesdays are ok, good band in O Neils and good group normally. Great band in the Mezz at the end though (the only night of the week I enjoy the Mezz, and it used to be a 7 night club).

Wednesday: Bigger then Monday or Tuesday. Purty Kitchen and The Workmans finisher. Wednesday is great, fantastic band in O Neils the Porterhouse and the Purty and the Workmans is always buzzing.

Thursday: Used to be a big one, now not so much. Shebeen and The Kitchen. Good crowds, very good band in O Neils. The Kitchen is a really cool club.

Friday: Last Friday's pub crawl had 34 girls and 13 guys, need I say more? (Purty and The Kitchen)

Saturday: Much of a muchness to Friday

Sunday: Atm a complete unknown, only started doing them again 3 weeks ago.

Conclusion. I've been on it more then 70 times at this stage, both as the guide and as a guest. Having traveled a bit, and worked with backpackers for 18 months, I find the small talk dead easy. Because of that, the fact they're tourists and because of the nature of having the 5 pubs then club, it really is the easiest pull in Dublin!! For having the craic with random people there really is no better, they all put the effort in. Just ask anyone who was in the porterhouse tonight at 10:45 when 15 strangers (even to each other) began dancing around the bar like madmen. And of course its casual, girls wear jeans and flats, personally I find them way more attractive that way!! I think the current crop of bars is very good too, a lot of them are places I go drinking on my nights off.

All that said, it is very rare we get Irish people come along, unless they have a company connection. So if you're coming, its gonna be touristy. I'd highly advise it, most of the time its a very good night.

Oh and if any of you come a night I am working, It's 10e each.

Advertisement