Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Indian Restaurant/takeaway in Naas

Options
  • 15-01-2010 8:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know the name/telephone number of the new Indian restaurant and takeaway in Naas?
    Apparently its the same chef as use tobe in Seeta (the Best Indian that was ever in Naas!)
    Supposed to be up round the back of the town hall?

Thanks folks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Swapna is up beside the eircom exchange:

045 881717 is the number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

BuffyBot wrote: »
    Swapna is up beside the eircom exchange:

045 881717 is the number.

Have you eaten there yet?

Nope: the sign outside promising fine "quisine" kind of put me off ;)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

BuffyBot wrote: »
    Nope: the sign outside promising fine "quisine" kind of put me off ;)

No!
    lol
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

Gucky wrote: »
    Seeta (the Best Indian that was ever in Naas!)

Thanks folks

The best you say? I had heard a lot of people say that over the years. But after getting a glimpse of the kitchen sidedoor one night, I opted against the place. Then it closes and here's one of the reasons why. Scroll down for details on Seeta.

http://www.herald.ie/national-news/city-news/going-out-for-a-meal-tonight-watch-out-for-the-rat-droppings-1633468.html

• Advertisement

DWCommuter wrote: »
    The best you say? I had heard a lot of people say that over the years. But after getting a glimpse of the kitchen sidedoor one night, I opted against the place. Then it closes and here's one of the reasons why. Scroll down for details on Seeta.

http://www.herald.ie/national-news/city-news/going-out-for-a-meal-tonight-watch-out-for-the-rat-droppings-1633468.html

Ah, but sure that only refers to Seeta! Thiis is a brand new place, only connection it has with Seeta is the old staff run this place <snip>

Honestly though, Seeta WAS the tastiest Indian in Naas, in fact, I would go so far as to say one of the tastiest in Leinster!

I for one will be getting a menu tonight, and have a chicken Jalfrezi with Pilau rice. It will however be interesting to see if they have looked at their prices though, Indian food is WAY more expensive than Chinese for some reason.

Do let us know how it went :)

Well, its the morning after the night before.

I got the following last night:

1 x Vegetable platter, which consisted of 1 x veg samosa, 1 x veg pakora, 1 x chat aloo, and 1 x onion bhaji (my wife eats these as she is a vegetarian but not too keen on spicy stuff)
    1 x Chicken Jalfrezi with Pilau rice
    Garlic onion and coriander naan.

All in it came to €21 so I suppose it was reasonable (ish) saying as the owner/manager or whoever he was threw in 2 x bottles of Kingfisher Indian lager

My summary is: this has an IDENTICAL menu to Seeta's including tandoori fish and the tandoori garlic chicken which is a MUST try.
    However, I recall Seetas Jalfrezi to be a bit more tastier than last nights, and a lot spicier.
    Pilau rice, to be honest was a wee bit bland, the rice was of a very white colour as opposed to a yellowish colour with various spices mixed with rice.
    Naan bread, naan bread tbh is naan bread
    Dont deliver to my house as were outside Naas (all be it by 2 miles????)

Positive is that my wife was happy with her starter combinations, got free beer, and the staff were friendly and helpful, although their seating area wasnt exactly stuffed!

I will most DEFINITELY be returning though, as I fear that my taste buds have been tainted in the few years that Seeta disappeared from us.
    Perhaps next time I will be requesting the curry be more spicy etc, but the true test will be when I order their Tandoori garlic chicken dish. This dish is Tandoori chicken done traditionally, ie chicken portions marinated in spices, yoghurt etc, then put in the Clay tandoori oven, BUT these guys then strip the meat from the bone after its been cooked, then cook it in a spicy sauce with green chillis and garlic! Its a spicy, but not TOO spicy dish that was very flavoursome.

Also noticed last night, anyone ordering for 2, one rice is LOADS, the portion I got came in a cardboard box, and I had over half left after eating all the curry.

6/10 final score, but this could go up dramatically when I try a different dish than last nights

Well, its the morning after the night before.

I got the following last night:

1 x Vegetable platter, which consisted of 1 x veg samosa, 1 x veg pakora, 1 x chat aloo, and 1 x onion bhaji (my wife eats these as she is a vegetarian but not too keen on spicy stuff)
    1 x Chicken Jalfrezi with Pilau rice
    Garlic onion and coriander naan.

All in it came to €21 so I suppose it was reasonable (ish) saying as the owner/manager or whoever he was threw in 2 x bottles of Kingfisher Indian lager

My summary is: this has an IDENTICAL menu to Seeta's including tandoori fish and the tandoori garlic chicken which is a MUST try.
    However, I recall Seetas Jalfrezi to be a bit more tastier than last nights, and a lot spicier.
    Pilau rice, to be honest was a wee bit bland, the rice was of a very white colour as opposed to a yellowish colour with various spices mixed with rice.
    Naan bread, naan bread tbh is naan bread
    Dont deliver to my house as were outside Naas (all be it by 2 miles????)

Positive is that my wife was happy with her starter combinations, got free beer, and the staff were friendly and helpful, although their seating area wasnt exactly stuffed!

I will most DEFINITELY be returning though, as I fear that my taste buds have been tainted in the few years that Seeta disappeared from us.
    Perhaps next time I will be requesting the curry be more spicy etc, but the true test will be when I order their Tandoori garlic chicken dish. This dish is Tandoori chicken done traditionally, ie chicken portions marinated in spices, yoghurt etc, then put in the Clay tandoori oven, BUT these guys then strip the meat from the bone after its been cooked, then cook it in a spicy sauce with green chillis and garlic! Its a spicy, but not TOO spicy dish that was very flavoursome.

Also noticed last night, anyone ordering for 2, one rice is LOADS, the portion I got came in a cardboard box, and I had over half left after eating all the curry.

6/10 final score, but this could go up dramatically when I try a different dish than last nights

You've sold me. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Gregsor

Good write up,how you fair it against Indie Spice restaurant?

It has to be my favourite in all the years of eating the spicy stuff.

I am tempted to try Swapna after seeing their numerous ads since opening and the meal package looks promising with the 2 beers,some good selection on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭fruitbats

Gregsor wrote: »
    Good write up,how you fair it against Indie Spice restaurant?

It has to be my favourite in all the years of eating the spicy stuff.

I am tempted to try Swapna after seeing their numerous ads since opening and the meal package looks promising with the 2 beers,some good selection on it.

There is no real comparison between Indie Spice and Swapna. I love Indian food but I’m afraid Swapna is not up to much. Now I’ve only eaten there 3 times.
    Positives, the Rice is very tasty, Naan Bread, the best I’ve ever had, but that’s were is stops. If you are looking for a main Course to be Sauce and meat, or Sauce and Prawns, well that’s all it is. There is no substance to any of the 3 main course I’ve had from there. It’s just my opinion but Indie Spice is a Genuine 8.5/10 and Swapna is 5.5/10.

The Next question you’d have for me would be then, why Three times, It was guaranteed to be quiet and I had a screaming baby with me. ( Great Fun:D)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Ah, but sure that only refers to Seeta! Thiis is a brand new place, only connection it has with Seeta is the old staff run this place (apparently)
    A leopard don't change it's spots, they're still the people who looked after the cleanliness and health standards at the previous restaurant.
    And NOt to a satisfactory standard by the review in post 6 by DWCommuter.

I'd want a health inspection first, good taste will not kill food poisoning.

fruitbats wrote: »
    There is no real comparison between Indie Spice and Swapna. I love Indian food but I’m afraid Swapna is not up to much. Now I’ve only eaten there 3 times.
    Positives, the Rice is very tasty, Naan Bread, the best I’ve ever had, but that’s were is stops. If you are looking for a main Course to be Sauce and meat, or Sauce and Prawns, well that’s all it is. There is no substance to any of the 3 main course I’ve had from there. It’s just my opinion but Indie Spice is a Genuine 8.5/10 and Swapna is 5.5/10.

The Next question you’d have for me would be then, why Three times, It was guaranteed to be quiet and I had a screaming baby with me. ( Great Fun:D)

I don`t need much to win me over on Indie Spice either,worth every penny i even rang them back after finishing the takeaway once and complimented them on how good the food was,i have done this to other restaurants too when deserved or on the odd occassion i have been rung up to see how i liked it :D(Jaipore Newbridge).

I`m in the proccess in convincing the missus to get a table booked for Valentino`s Day in Indie ;),well i do all the weekly cooking at home!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 NaasTrev

I've eaten in both Swapna and Indie spice in the last two weeks and I found that Swapna was way better both in taste and value - The bill was about 10 euro less for two people.

I used to eat a lot in Seeta in Kildare town - which imho was better than Seeta in Naas - Also If you ask in Swapna for your Jalfrezi "Seeta Style" they'll do it for you!

I go on every second or so week to Maharaja in Newbridge and can highly recommend it too.
    They have new management since not so long ago and they are doing a great job,lovely food great deals on early bird with a beer/glass of wine and other all in offers.
    Staff really pleasant and natural,bit of a personal touch you might say;).
    Was in last night for early bird which is upto 7.30pm,me and the other half had choice of 3 starters on 1 plate each then choice of mains naan/rice included,glass of Chardonnay each,daughter had a starter with chips,a coke all in it came to E50,and a comp Sambuca:D.

Worth a try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 lemongin

In terms of freshness and all around quality, Swapna is beyond compare. I've tried all the Indian restaurants in the area and will continue to go back to Swapna. The jumbo prawn Bhuna is absolutely delish, and the coriander naan bread is amazing. Service is always quick and super friendly, and the delivery service is fast! I think some of the comments on this thread are unfair as they relate to Seeta, not Swapna, and as I've eating there on several occasions I noticed that the restaurant is spotless and well kept. Swapna all the way!

lemongin wrote: »
    In terms of freshness and all around quality, Swapna is beyond compare. I've tried all the Indian restaurants in the area and will continue to go back to Swapna. The jumbo prawn Bhuna is absolutely delish, and the coriander naan bread is amazing. Service is always quick and super friendly, and the delivery service is fast! I think some of the comments on this thread are unfair as they relate to Seeta, not Swapna, and as I've eating there on several occasions I noticed that the restaurant is spotless and well kept. Swapna all the way!

I agree!

Seeta is GONE folks.......
    Stop comparing cleanliness to a place that's no longer open!
    I'll definitely be giving swapna another try pretty soon!

Must give it a try next,;).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Moran Brady

:)thanks:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Moran Brady

ok
    I agree!

Seeta is GONE folks.......
    Stop comparing cleanliness to a place that's no longer open!
    I'll definitely be giving swapna another try pretty soon!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 somebane

Hi all,
    my wife and I were regulars in Seetas since it opened (every Sunday) and can thoroughly agree with all your comments about the quality of its food!! Unfortunately the same cannot be said as it turned out, about the kitchen :eek:. When it closed down we were at a loss as were to go next. Indie Spice and Bollywood while the food was good, we were spoilt with the quality of food in Seetas. As I say the other two restaurants were fine, lovely staff, fantastic setting etc, but they don't compare. We ended up driving to Celbridge to find the Deli Dharbar which was a good runner up to Seetas.

You can imagine our surprise when we read the menu outside Swopna and an even bigger surprise to open the door and see Josh in the reception area. Josh is a nephew of the owner Seetas who left because of what was going on in the restaurant.

We were due to go to Celbridge that night but cancelled to try Swopnas, and we have been there ever since, The food is better than before because everything is cooked fresh. I had the most wonderful experience of being invited into the kitchen to watch my dish being cooked from scratch. I thought there would be pots of the various sauces bubbling away and it was a case of ladling it into a bowl with a bit chicken. How wrong was I!! There is one pot only with a type of stock and the rest is racks of spices which are added to a pan according to the order. Talk about fresh, I would have happily stayed there all night watching these chefs cooking. The second time I was brought in to see my Jumbo Tandoori Prawns being prepared and cooked. The prawns are first peeled then cleaned out, rubbed in a flavoring then covered in a ginger and garlic puree and finally rolled in the Tandoori sauce. They are then put on long skewers and placed in the Tandoori oven. The point I am trying to make here is, would any other restaurant owner invite you into their kitchen if there were any issues? I think not. As I say, it was an honor to be asked in to see how things operate. The food is second to none, the staff are wonderful and helpful. If you are new to Indian food just let them know and they will guide you through the menu. Spicy food is just that, it is cooked with different spices, the heat comes from the chillies. Most people say Oh I don't like spicy food when in fact they mean the don't like hot food. If you are one of these, tell them so and they will leave out the chillies.
    Finally, I have seen the kitchen and I can assure everyone that it is spotless. Give this place a try, if you want freshly cooked food you will not find anything better anywhere. My recommendations are the Jumbo Tandoori Prawns/ Chicken Rooti for starters, Chicken Chillie Masala/ Chicken Kasana and I always get chips with my curry. If you like a bottle of red ask Josh for the Wakefield Merlot, its to die for.

Just for the record, My name is Fran Mahon, I live in Naas and I am in the Defence Forces for 30 years and I have absolutely no connections with this restaurant, I just enjoy wonderful Indian food.

THE CHILLI KLUB

Now open on South Main Street. Serves both Indian and Mexican food. Havent even seen the place, but got a takeaway menu through the letterbox.

Any feedback?

DWCommuter wrote: »
    THE CHILLI KLUB

Now open on South Main Street. Serves both Indian and Mexican food. Havent even seen the place, but got a takeaway menu through the letterbox.

Any feedback?

I have to be honest and say that inhabent eaten here.. yet.
    However, I did pop in around valentines day, and the menu looked to
    be a wee bit pricey considering it's not an authentic Indian/Mexican joint.

I too would live to hear any feedback good or bad. So as I can give it a try or a miss lol!

Thanks

somebane wrote: »
    Hi all,
    my wife and I were regulars in Seetas since it opened (every Sunday) and can thoroughly agree with all your comments about the quality of its food!! Unfortunately the same cannot be said as it turned out, about the kitchen :eek:. When it closed down we were at a loss as were to go next. Indie Spice and Bollywood while the food was good, we were spoilt with the quality of food in Seetas. As I say the other two restaurants were fine, lovely staff, fantastic setting etc, but they don't compare. We ended up driving to Celbridge to find the Deli Dharbar which was a good runner up to Seetas.

You can imagine our surprise when we read the menu outside Swopna and an even bigger surprise to open the door and see Josh in the reception area. Josh is a nephew of the owner Seetas who left because of what was going on in the restaurant.

We were due to go to Celbridge that night but cancelled to try Swopnas, and we have been there ever since, The food is better than before because everything is cooked fresh. I had the most wonderful experience of being invited into the kitchen to watch my dish being cooked from scratch. I thought there would be pots of the various sauces bubbling away and it was a case of ladling it into a bowl with a bit chicken. How wrong was I!! There is one pot only with a type of stock and the rest is racks of spices which are added to a pan according to the order. Talk about fresh, I would have happily stayed there all night watching these chefs cooking. The second time I was brought in to see my Jumbo Tandoori Prawns being prepared and cooked. The prawns are first peeled then cleaned out, rubbed in a flavoring then covered in a ginger and garlic puree and finally rolled in the Tandoori sauce. They are then put on long skewers and placed in the Tandoori oven. The point I am trying to make here is, would any other restaurant owner invite you into their kitchen if there were any issues? I think not. As I say, it was an honor to be asked in to see how things operate. The food is second to none, the staff are wonderful and helpful. If you are new to Indian food just let them know and they will guide you through the menu. Spicy food is just that, it is cooked with different spices, the heat comes from the chillies. Most people say Oh I don't like spicy food when in fact they mean the don't like hot food. If you are one of these, tell them so and they will leave out the chillies.
    Finally, I have seen the kitchen and I can assure everyone that it is spotless. Give this place a try, if you want freshly cooked food you will not find anything better anywhere. My recommendations are the Jumbo Tandoori Prawns/ Chicken Rooti for starters, Chicken Chillie Masala/ Chicken Kasana and I always get chips with my curry. If you like a bottle of red ask Josh for the Wakefield Merlot, its to die for.

Just for the record, My name is Fran Mahon, I live in Naas and I am in the Defence Forces for 30 years and I have absolutely no connections with this restaurant, I just enjoy wonderful Indian food.

I can second it now i have tried it.
    Very nice food,but i find it hard sometimes to pick out bad points as most of the time all the venues i frequent are genuinely great eateries or i just wouldn`t go back.
    I am more of a package man and include value for money,atmosphere,staff friendliness, flexibility with menus and other small points on overall and of course good honest fresh food.
    So i will be back in Swapna,most likely the weekend again!but Maharaja is just as good in my eyes with Indie Spice trailing behind a little.
    great value early bird -E15.95 with beer or wine and the tastiest
    lamb i have had in a curry probably ever:D
    Bumping into you Frank was a laugh too;),hope your meal was just as good!
    I think Josh the manager mentioned his Uncle owned/ran Kasturi chain too?They are also great restaurants whom i have also frequented.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

Had a takeaway from Swapna's at the weekend, excellent food!

Hi Gregsor,
    That was some coincidence walking into Swapna Sunday 25th of April and meeting you and your family there! Josh is still talking about it. That night we had a great meal, I had the usual Jumbo Tandoori Prawns and my Chicken Chille Masala (WITH CHIPS) and my wife had the Swapna special. The special consists of three dishes of your choice with rice on one plate. The presentation was top class and needless to say my wife had some job finishing it off. I would recommend trying this dish without a starter to really appreciate it. The price of the special was €21 which you would think is expensive but the fact that you would not need a starter balances things out, and remember this is three small main courses cooked to order and not pre prepared. I remember back in the bad old days in Butt Mullins paying €28.65 for a sirloin steak and the chips were extra!! Some gob****e :o

Last Sunday the 2nd of May we went to Swapna expecting it to be empty because of the Bank Holiday, but we were pleasantly surprised to see a nice crowd and there was a lovely buzz about the place. I am glad to say that the word must be out because there were some familiar faces from the old Seetas! My wife went for Boti Kebab, which is marinated pieces of lamb cooked in the Tandoori oven and she then went for the Chicken Tikka Masala. My wife loves sweet, creamy dishes, so this was a good choice for her. I as usual, went for the Jumbo Tandoori prawns, and as suggested by Josh I went for the Chilli Masala with a mixture of Lamb and Chicken. Beautiful. The pieces of Lamb fell apart they were so tender and yes, I had chips. Why do I always go on about the chips, I don't feel I should have rice if I don't want to. I remember the old Seetas when my food came out a woman exclaiming out loudly " chips with Indian, my God" Yes, I replied and they're gorgeous, you should try them! That shut her up. So yet again another great night in Swapna!

Jesus stop Frank you are making me hungry!
    Must take your advice on the jumbo prawn,still i love my Seekh kebab as a starter and Swapna do it the best way,on the sizzling tray,onions and peppers caramelized underneath and then add a squeeze of lemon;).

Great to hear the place was buzzing,trouble with me heading out is i usually aim for an earlybird so alot of the time the night crowd haven`t come out yet!
    It`s a good way to get to know the staff/owner`s though!

I didn`t get a chance to get to Swapna at the weekend but fear not i`ll be back this one :D.

Lol Frank!

I too was in for another meal (well my first sit in) on Sunday night.
    I had been up North most of the day and after the long drive back to Naas decided to eat out in Swapnas.
    My wife and I arrived in Swapnas approx 7pmish, and the service we recieved was second to none!
    I had heard of the jumbo prawn dish, and although tempted I opted to go for the earlybird menu. I went for pakora and Chicken Balti, my wife had the veg pakora and the veg curry, both of us found the food to be of the highest standards we had experienced in a long time.
    Starters arrived about 3 mins after we initially ordered, and the waiter asked us to just let him know when we were ready for the mains.
    When the mains arrived we were both very pleased! My chicken balti was beautiful (although it was quite mild I like scorchers lol) and he pilau rice was beautiful also, we had ordered garlic onion and coriander naan also, and I'm not exaggerating when I tell you it was the nicest naan bread I have ever eaten!

I found the staff to be very attentive and friendly, they topped up my beer and he wifes sprite when it needed, and give excellent help when choosing fom the menu.

We found the atmosphere and decor of the restaurant so nice that we immediately asked my parent in laws to dinner there, and the wife expressing a keen interest I. Having her 30th birthday part there!

Oh must add that I had a desert of homemade indian pistachio icecream...... Man it was GOOD!

Swapna......... 8.5 out of ten but may increase score when I either
    A: try these famous jumbo prawns or
    B: try the Swapna special with the three curries!

Again, I have no connection with Swapna I'm an ordinary bloke who loves indian food!

Hey Gregsor , hows it going?

Your dead right about the early bird. Its great value and you would be mad not to go for it. Your also right about the Seekh kebab, you can tell its cooked from fresh. Why don't you give the mixed meat platter a go because you get Seekh Kebeb, Lamb Boti, Chicken tandoori on the bone and I think crab claws. This is great value because there is enough for two people, and again the sizzling platter with onions, peppers and ask for lots of coriander. Dont forget the lemon!! We used to get this all the time but I got selfish and you know the rest (tandoori prawns) Jesus I am upsetting myself.

• Advertisement

Nice one Gucky!

Good to hear you enjoyed yourself. Your like myself and Gregsor, you just like seriously good Indian food. What a great idea for a 30th birthday, I know Josh and the lads would give you a great night. Your right about the naan bread, that's the best thing about the Tandoori oven, it cooks perfectly. Well all I can say is we have a great Indian in Swapnas and lets hope in these hard times we can keep it in business. I know were my few euros are going.

By the way, I brought 20 people on a Christmas dinner to the old Seetas and Josh was working there at the time. We fell out of the place at 3 in the morning... So be careful:D Talk soon.

Advertisement