Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Indian Restaurant/takeaway in Naas

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭stackerman

Tried a takeaway from there last night and it was fantastic :D
    Will be back
    Thanks for the heads up !!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 somebane

Nice one Keving!! Its great that the takeaway is as good as a sit in. Sure anyone who follows Leinster Rugby is bound to have good taste:D Did you go for the meal for two with the two free beers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Lads how's about, as we all appreciate indian grub, all seem to live in the locality, we organise a group dinner some night?

A kind of indian food critic dinner lol?

Few drinks and curry?

Anyone up for it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 morkel

Hey Lads,
    I was in swapna's three weeks ago with a mate of mine hoping for a good curry to start off a night of pints. The restaurant had been recommended to us by another curry head and we were not dissapointed. The naan bread is as fresh as you can get, with a lovely golden pancake crust and soft texture inside. We ordered 5 different mains but asked for small portions so as not to leave waste - this was no problem at all- and it is a great way to eat as we could sample 5 dishes in one sitting. I was in london last year and had two or three meals in Brick Lane the famous curry mile. Swapna's beat two of those restaurants easily and was on a par with the third one (a bangladeshi restaurant - seriously good). I will be returning to Swapna's at every opportunity, somebanes testament of the kitchen just backed up my assumption that the sauces/cooking are fresh (I could taste and smell the coriander). I can't wait to go back now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

Gucky wrote: »
    Lads how's about, as we all appreciate indian grub, all seem to live in the locality, we organise a group dinner some night?

A kind of indian food critic dinner lol?

Few drinks and curry?

Anyone up for it?

Thats a damn good idea.

• Advertisement

Lads, had a takeaway last night and feel obliged to update my rating from this restaurant.

I ordered a takeaway for collection last night as we had friends over for dinner. Called Swapna to organise the order and told them I would call in to collect.

We arrived in (just) before order was ready and were invited to take a seat whilst the curries were being prepared in the kitchen. The seating area is gorgeous and would put most 5star hotel lobbies to shame (imho). Restaurant manager Josh offered us drinks while we were waiting and i would have gladly accepted his offer only I was steering lol!

After a few mins of waiting the order came out which included a complimentary bottle of house wine! (now come on lads cant argue with that!)We paid for order and the waiter actually carried my bag of food out to the motor! Hows that for service????

As soon as we got home and started to dish out the grub, we were NOT disappointed!!!!!!

I opted for sarga chicken for my starter, and it was BEAUTIFUL! Sarga chicken is pieces of chicken marinated in spices and pretty spicy but VERY tasty!
    After reading a certain Mr Frank Mahons suggestions about the combined lamb and chicken Chilli Masala I just had to go for it and all I can say is WOW!!!!!
    Frank was spot on when he described the Lamb as melt in the mouth, the chicken was beautiful also and as a man who enjoys the spicier food this dish absolutely hit the spot!

My wife and friends got various dishes and starters and not one single morsel of food was left on a plate much to my disappointment (was mad to get tasting some of the other dishes lol)

Pilau rice was second to none and once again the naan bread is a cut above ANY other Inidan restaurant I have eaten from in Ireland!!!!

Final score has been upgraded (and deservedly so) to 9.5/10

Go eat there now folks! Im predicting this place is gonna be difficult to secure a table in once the word spreads on the absolute tastiness, cleanliness and damn right friendliness of this establishment!

Once again I would like to stressthat I am an ordinary customer of Swapnas have absolutely no connection with the restaurant, but when I find/eat in a place that is this good... I feel it is my DUTY to spread the word!

Nice one Gucky,

a top notch rating and I am glad you enjoyed my recommendation.I will be eating there tonight Sat the 8th and I will pass on your kind words. I think Josh needs to hear about the response he has been getting to encourage him to press on and keep the standards up. Also your idea of a group of Indie fans getting together to eat there is a great idea. You can stick our names down for that. Once again, spread the word as I am sure Josh needs all the business he can get. A premises of this standard must be very expensive to lease and you would need to sell a lot of curry to meet your costs.

Jesus I am starving:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,947 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Tried this today as a take away and and agree it was excellent.

We had 1 x chicken sarga (too spicy for me, but friend loved it)

Then friend had chili masala with Pilau Rice and I had sag lamb with boiled rice and I garlic nan between us.

Friend who loved spicy said it was the nicest indian he had in a long time.

The Pilau rice was the nicest we have ever had (I was sorry I ordered boiled rice!!) and the nan was excellent.

At 27, it was pricy enough, but lovely.

I know they have a special for 25, but we noticed that after we ordered.

I can also recommend the special from Indie Spice for 25 - would easily feed 3-4 people. Am spoiled now with all the good indian food around here - Gucky I think also recommended India Gate in Tallaght and I concur there too.

somebane wrote: »
    Nice one Gucky,

a top notch rating and I am glad you enjoyed my recommendation.I will be eating there tonight Sat the 8th and I will pass on your kind words. I think Josh needs to hear about the response he has been getting to encourage him to press on and keep the standards up. Also your idea of a group of Indie fans getting together to eat there is a great idea. You can stick our names down for that. Once again, spread the word as I am sure Josh needs all the business he can get. A premises of this standard must be very expensive to lease and you would need to sell a lot of curry to meet your costs.

Jesus I am starving:D

Lol Frank he actually mentioned your name to me on Fri evening hahaha!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Well, its the morning after the night before.

I got the following last night:

1 x Vegetable platter, which consisted of 1 x veg samosa, 1 x veg pakora, 1 x chat aloo, and 1 x onion bhaji (my wife eats these as she is a vegetarian but not too keen on spicy stuff)
    1 x Chicken Jalfrezi with Pilau rice
    Garlic onion and coriander naan.

All in it came to €21 so I suppose it was reasonable (ish) saying as the owner/manager or whoever he was threw in 2 x bottles of Kingfisher Indian lager

Thats very good value for €21 tbf.

Itll have to do a lot to persude me away from Indie Spice tho; quite simply the best Indian around as far as Im concerned.

• Advertisement

djimi wrote: »
    Thats very good value for €21 tbf.

Itll have to do a lot to persude me away from Indie Spice tho; quite simply the best Indian around as far as Im concerned.

Horses for courses and all that like.

But IMHO comparing indie spice and swapnas like comparing tescos boil in the bag curry tovan authentic Indian takeaway curry.

Give it a go, you'll not be disapointed!

Ill have to give it a try so!

djimi wrote: »
    Ill have to give it a try so!

Give it a lash you will not be disappointed. All the lads here will testify to that.

Lol Frank he actually mentioned your name to me on Fri evening hahaha!

I mentioned it to Josh and he was delighted. We walked in on Sat night and lo and behold, Gregsor and the family were there, up to their oxters in Indian food. Another family turned up having seen the recommendations on boards. Wow the power of the internet!! Spread the Gospel!

I mentioned it to Josh and he was delighted. We walked in on Sat night and lo and behold, Gregsor and the family were there, up to their oxters in Indian food. Another family turned up having seen the recommendations on boards. Wow the power of the internet!! Spread the Gospel!

I don't know why I'm becoming so passionate about these guys lol, but I really hope the business takes off for him!
    Did he tell you he was talking to me on the Fri night? I let him know I was the guy started the thread for him, He was a bit miffed about the first negative review, I kinda felt for him tbh.....

Family from Co Derry down on Sat evening....... No prizes where we shall be dining lol!

I don't know why I'm becoming so passionate about these guys lol, but I really hope the business takes off for him!
    Did he tell you he was talking to me on the Fri night? I let him know I was the guy started the thread for him, He was a bit miffed about the first negative review, I kinda felt for him tbh.....

Family from Co Derry down on Sat evening....... No prizes where we shall be dining lol!

He did indeed tell me he was talking to you. He was very upset about the odd posting at the start but I think we have put that to right now. Bums on seats is what they need now. The best of luck on Saturday evening, I am sure you will have a great night.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Gregsor

Another fine feast again,one of the nicest.
    It is hard to hide the shrapnel after a big feed :D,jesus they have plates for everything and it doesn`t take long for the table to fill up*cough thats my excuse anyway!

We are even further endorsed knowing Josh was running the restaurant in Kilashee House for 4-5 years,and you can tell by his work ethic,they have the makings for a great team.

Just the venue can be hard to find for drop ins but i remember how busy Lemongrass was in it`s hayday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭stackerman

YUMMMMM
    Another great takeaway last night :D
    Are ya hungry,

well are ya !!

keving wrote: »
    YUMMMMM
    Another great takeaway last night :D
    Are ya hungry,

well are ya !!

Yes I am bleeding starving!! I was there Saturday evening with the wife and son and we had a great night. Top notch as usual. I believe GUCKY was there Friday night and ate all around himself :pac:. Keep up the good work Josh.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Gregsor

I was there Friday night,i brought the mother too,she was impressed.
    Great food again.
    I see Josh is looking for a chef,it might be time to dust off my CV :D.

• Advertisement

Yes I am bleeding starving!! I was there Saturday evening with the wife and son and we had a great night. Top notch as usual. I believe GUCKY was there Friday night and ate all around himself :pac:. Keep up the good work Josh.

Burrrrrrrp!!!!

(still can't move)

Just to throw in my two cents, I went to Swapna on the recommendation of this thread and I was very impressed. We only got take away so I cant speak for the eat in service, but the place is fantastic inside, the owner (I cant remember his name, sorry mate) was a thoroughly nice fellow, offered us a complimentary drink while we were waiting and was very talkative, especially when I mentioned cricket! The food was very nice as well, very much up to the standard that Seeta used to be.

Ill definately be back, probably to eat in this time, and Ill be recommending it to my friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭fruitbats

I stand corrected......
    Earlier I posted a some what negative review of Swapna, but i stand corrected, My Mrs encouraged me to try it one last time for lunch( this time with the change of Chef iun the kitchen), I was very impressed, so third time lucky, it was vey good and it defiantly gives Indie Spice a run for its money now!!

Am headed there for lunch today!
    Indie who?

No comparison, on quality of food, on authenticity and most of all SERVICE!
    One of THE best restaurants in Ireland, surpasses anything Dublin had to offer!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Where is swapna?

We eat a lot of indian food, once you start eating indian you cn't really go back to Chinese can you. There is such a difference in the flavour, and as a veggi the choice is great!

I'm an Indi fan, the staff, decor, choice and quality of food is great in my experience. But all this talk about swapna, I would love to go give it a try. Maybe suprise the OH with a dinner tomorrow afternoon. :)

Whispered wrote: »
    Where is swapna?

We eat a lot of indian food, once you start eating indian you cn't really go back to Chinese can you. There is such a difference in the flavour, and as a veggi the choice is great!

I'm an Indi fan, the staff, decor, choice and quality of food is great in my experience. But all this talk about swapna, I would love to go give it a try. Maybe suprise the OH with a dinner tomorrow afternoon. :)

Hi whispered, Swapna is up around the back of the town hall, if your coming up the main street from the Dublin direction (ie big ball at roundabout) after you get to the credit union on your right, you will see o'Connors pub and head up that entry, swapna is located at the end of that street.

Just enjoyed a SUPERB lunch there with my wife and parent in laws today.

Excellent set menu for Sunday lunch, I had Seekh kebabs for starters, that came out on a sizzling tray covered in onions and capsicums and I actually told the manager that they were the BEST kebabs I had ever had in an Indian restaurant!
    For mains I enjoyed bhuna and although it stated beef bhuna on the menu the waiter actually told me that I was free to choose any meat, and so I opted for chicken. I asked for mine to be spicy and I have to say it was beautiful!!!!

Again the pilau rice was excellent and I hope I'm not starting to boar folks here, but the garlic onion and coriander naan was to die for!!!!
    Followed up by a desert of mango homemade ice cream!

A wonderful meal, spent in fabulous surroundings, and attended by excellent professional and friendly staff!

Go and enjoy a meal there, and let the manager know your there on the recommendation of this thread!

Ps, my better half is also a veggie, and she can vouch for the tastiness of the dishes serves here.

It would be a fair statement to make, when I say you'd be a fool to spend money in any other restaurant in Naas, the food is all served with fresh ingredients and you can tell this from the first morsel of food you put in your mouth!

Oh, if it's any help the Sunday lunch menu had LOADS to choose from, and for a starter, mains, desert, tea coffee, AND a soft drink/beer or wine is a very reasonable 18.95

Ya couldn't beat it with a big thorny one!

Thanks I might give it a go tomorrow. I'll tell them you sent me. ;)

Do you know if they do an earlybird?

They do indeed!
    Something similar to today's lunch menu, but I can't remember exactly!

Well whispered,

I hope you did go to Swopna and would love to know if you enjoyed yourself. I was there on Friday evening(we go once a week the food is that good) and I must agree with you that there is no comparison with Chinese food. We have one of the finest Chinese restaurants in Naas called Fate, but Swopna wins hands down every time. Gucky , Gregsor and family like ourselves, are Indie junkies and we have hit the mother-load with Swopna. In every detail they are spot on, food, decor, and customer service are second to none. If you did go and enjoyed yourself, tell everyone. If you didn't enjoy yourself tell Josh and he will fix it for you! I can guarantee it.

• Advertisement

Okay we went. I will have to go back another evening when there are more people. I really can't comment on the atmosphere as we were the only people there.

We stuck with the early bird menu. OH got chicken chaat starter and lamb rogan main. He enjoyed it. It's the only time we've had an indian that he ate and enjoyed the naan. He was very happy with it.

I was disappointed in the veggie choice on the early bird menu. Well, I say choice, there was no choice or even a decent description "vegetable curry" does not really cut it in an indian because they have so many different types of curry. But I trusted the reviews here that the food is good and I ordered it without questioning it. Everything was very fresh and tasty.

I was a bit suprised at the fact that we couldn't order a garlic naan, even if we were to pay the few cent difference. We had to order 2 rice and pay for a full extra naan. Not a big deal, but not something that would have happened in indie spice. There seemed to be no "little extras". While they are just that, extras, and shouldn't be expected, they do make a difference. For instance, in Indie Spice when we went for an all inclusive menu, I got my OH's drink as he was driving. They gave him a complementary soft drink too instead of just water. On a quiet evening in Indie spice when you finish your coffee/tea, they usually bring another cup if they notice you're empty. I also missed the little choc/mint with the bill. :D

I think that if we went on a friday night, ordered from the normal menu (instead of being cheap ;) and staying with the early bird) we would enjoy it more. Will definately go back to give it a fairer shot.

Advertisement