Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

speed drops with eircom 18:00-00:00, and mine experience with eircom support...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,448 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

here's what I'm getting right now...bloody joke..
    rigth now I'm slating eircom across boards/facebook and twitter..
    every day I'm posting screenshots of my speeds..not sure if it'll do any good but I think a bit of negative media attention is definitely due eircom's way.

770925868.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

What line stats are you getting ? Can you post up the stats from your router page

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

I hate eircom so much

OZnPD.png

Edit: while I'm at it:

lJqS1.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 273 ✭✭Grim_Wreeper

Wow that's amazingly poor alright, are you based in the same effected area?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭yomamasflavour

tom_ass19 wrote: »
    Oh I know yeah, he told me if its something to do with my network or computer the charge would apply, im very certain its their problem though as im using the modem they gave me and connected to it by wire.

Just there I ran three speed tests on speedtest.net and eircoms speed test. Averaged out at 2mbs on speedtest.net and 8mbs on eircoms one.

Does anyone here trust the eircomes speed test?

772813592.png
    772814781.png
    772816540.png

Would all have me believe I'm only getting 1-2Mb.

Yet if I measure actual throughput in the form of file downloads
    121.jpg

Me thinks Speedtest.net isn't telling the whole truth.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Had a problem a few weeks back with lousy performance on wireless, and did some serious in depth testing, and discovered that the router was a factor in this, moving the laptop closer to the router made a 50% difference in the performance of speedtest. There was no indication of any errors in the link between the router and the laptop, and nothing showing any retries or similar, the only difference was the reported signal strength at the laptop end.

The router is the "standard" Eircom wireless router, and the laptop is a dual core Acer. If I cable connect, it's happy, and now, it's also happy wireless, but if I move the router or the laptop as little as 10 Ft, then the signal strength goes down, and so does the speed, significantly. What's even more interesting is that it's the download speed that goes bad, the upload still holds. None of the tests that were tried with tech support picked this up, and the slow speed has not been an issue from day one, it's come up in recent times. The only thing I can attribute it to is that there is now another router within range, so it's possible that somehow that is affecting the performance of my router. Whatever it is, the good news is that we eventually found an answer, and I now have my 8 Mb performance back again.

In relation to the evening speed issues, I am wondering if there's a problem with one of their back end caching servers that is getting overloaded, or possibly congested, and suffering slow response as a result.

Have you tried running anything like Wiretap, to see if the responses are varying depending on where they are coming from, and the other thing to try would be something like visualroute, to see if there is one specific server, or route, that's not performing, the other very distinct possibility is that Eircom are using a specific provider, and their server or cluster is not responding adequately.

Have you tried using an different DNS provider, by setting the correct information in either your router or the PC's network configuration to see if that makes any difference to the speeds, a while back, it was very noticable that Eircom's DNS resolution was very slow, and using something like OpenDNS made a significant difference to response times.

When was the last time you cleared your local browser temporary files, if there's a huge quantity of old and possibly dead data in there, that too can have a detrimental effect on performance.

Hope something helps

Steve

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭andy winter

I own a ACER 5520 laptop, connected to eircom 3MB.

Signal Strength: excellent

54Mbps

I am on wireless network, about 10 foot from router....

I am trying to watch the arsenal game :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: on tv3.ie but it keeps ''refreshing'' every few seconds!!!!

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(:(:(:(

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

awful awful service today.

the net has cut out about 10 times today, twice at some vital points for various reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭homer911

I'm with Vodafone and its no different - at 7:15pm yesterday all my pings were timing out - I gave up - when I have time I'll ring and complain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Lets organise a big protest outside there headquarters? Seriously like

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

nuxxx wrote: »
    Lets organise a big protest outside there headquarters? Seriously like

Good idea. the more that are over there protesting, the faster my connection will be. Good luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Xennon

Hi folks,
    Just to upadte on my situation, Ive been dealing with one of the Customer Relations guys from Stream who handle Eircoms customer services issues. In fairness this guy is trying his damndest to get it sorted.
    To refresh Im outside limerick on the Inch St. Laurence exchange experiencing packet loss up to 80% at some stages during the hours of 6pm-1am ish.

I was told that the Inch exchange was linked to the Castletroy exchange and that was due for an upgrade mid April. Now Eircom have told the customer services rep that the exchange is linked directly to the central excahnge in limerick city and that it wont be upgraded until end of april or mid may...yeah right...i wont be hoild my breath.

I would advise all you you to get on the Eircom forums, talk to the CSRs (Stream) and give them as much information as you can. As they can only put pressure on Eircoms tech dept if they have enough evidence of the failure of their service.

I would also advise that packet loss contengencies are not part of the eircom contract and as such means they are in breach of their contract if you need an out from their contract.

Its a bit sad when you have to resort to dialup in order to log into a remote server so i can do my job. I really fear for the future of this country when as the web becomes more and more bandwidth hungry and we are left behind with such a poor infrastructure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Vrain

Hello guys same situation here. 6:00pm - 12:00.

"7mgs"
    775129947.png

This is a joke.

Edit : speed test done couple of min laterz
    775140136.png
    better but still unacceptable

I was told end of April for the Castletroy exchange.
    Every day I post in twitter/facebook/boards bitching about my crap speeds and posting screenshots.
    Eircom are monitoring this thread and also myself on twitter and they're not happy with all the bitching I'm doing...but Eircom..fúck yourself..I'm not happy with your crap service.

Berkut keep up the good work . I've seen many things in my life but something like this i came across first time. For this country this is shame and disgrace . Ther is Hundreds if not thousands of people with exactly same problem. Trust me im not from ireland this is going worldwide soon . Thanks Eircom for your crapy service!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I hate eircom so much

OZnPD.png

Edit: while I'm at it:

lJqS1.png

48.0Mbps is YOUR internal wireless network speed and has NOTHING to do with Eircom's ADSL line speed, as such its not in anyway relevant to the speed tests in that screenshot
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Xennon

Hi Berkut,

I was told that the Castletroy exchange would be done by mid april, then was told that Im not on the Castletroy exchange but linked to the main exchange in Limerick City and this 'link' wont be upgraded until May sometime.

Man I dont know, I feel the guys in Stream who handle the customer relations for Eircom must be doing their nut at this stage, how can you provide CR to clients if the company that hired you wont give you correct information.

What I would like to know is WTF did they do about 5 months ago to F**K the system they have so badly?

Is it coincidence that this all started when Vodafone jumped into the game?

If anyone has access to legal advice could they ask if theres a basis for a refund for the past 5 months of dismal service?

Xennon wrote: »
    Hi Berkut,

I was told that the Castletroy exchange would be done by mid april, then was told that Im not on the Castletroy exchange but linked to the main exchange in Limerick City and this 'link' wont be upgraded until May sometime.

Man I dont know, I feel the guys in Stream who handle the customer relations for Eircom must be doing their nut at this stage, how can you provide CR to clients if the company that hired you wont give you correct information.

What I would like to know is WTF did they do about 5 months ago to F**K the system they have so badly?

Is it coincidence that this all started when Vodafone jumped into the game?

If anyone has access to legal advice could they ask if theres a basis for a refund for the past 5 months of dismal service?

All these issues began to happen after Eircom upgraded the exchanges for 24meg broadband. Obviously the backbone of it cannot handle the traffic increase etc.
    Yes there is a refund program going on. At the moment I've gotten €20 discount off my broadband for the 4 months I'm having issues, however I'm demanding more as there is only 1 night out of 7 that I can actually get proper speeds and do some gaming. Every other night it drops to half a meg and 25% packet loss.

Here's what you do if you're with Eircom.

Ring Tech Support and log a ticket with them. Make sure to get this number as you can only get redunds from the time you first logged one..

Ring Tech Billing (1800 200 481) and demand an additional refund on top of the €20 a month. Until the ticket is closed they'll do nothing to help you but at least you have a record of this.

If you're with BT/Vodafone do the same..ring their support numbers and demand a refund as well. They're doing an active program on this as well.

Also if you're in twitter...add me..

http://twitter.com/jaycoleman9

Eircom support
    http://twitter.com/eircomconnect

For boards..create a sig with your crap speeds like mine below just to advertise eircom's crap support.
    Also add http://twitter.com/cooper_m (matt copper-todayfm) and ask him why isn't he highlighting the eircom issues I've already brought to his attention. Is it because they're an advertiser on today/newstalk?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 399 ✭✭teddy b123

Mate, try downloading this:
    http://rapidshare.com/files/370039379/1M_0.txt

Its basically a txt file with a load of zeros up to 100MB in size.
    Its whats called a Trafficshare rapidshare download and downloading it will max out your connection.
    Tell me what speeds you guys achieve

Edit:
    I achieve a constant 330KBs on a 3 megabit connection btw

teddy b123 wrote: »
    Mate, try downloading this:
    http://rapidshare.com/files/370039379/1M_0.txt

Its basically a txt file with a load of zeros up to 100MB in size.
    Its whats called a Trafficshare rapidshare download and downloading it will max out your connection.
    Tell me what speeds you guys achieve

Edit:
    I achieve a constant 330KBs on a 3 megabit connection btw

:eek:

• Advertisement

:eek::eek: What lol

Sorry, but 330KBs on a 3Mb line is excellent. I'm currently getting 250 on my 3Mb line, but sometimes get absolutely nothing!

(and my pings to boards.ie can often timeout 75% or 100% of the time)

Rapidshare remains one of the best ways to test your download speed.
    Basically on a 3 meg line you'll average between 240-330kbbs while on a 7meg around the 650-760 depending on your line quality.

Berkut wrote: »
    Rapidshare remains one of the best ways to test your download speed.
    Basically on a 3 meg line you'll average between 240-330kbbs while on a 7meg around the 650-760 depending on your line quality.

I 2nd that, peak times doesnt seem to apply to rapidshare :D

Just as proof:

capturekd.png

Berkut, what are your speeds like with rapidshare (Trafficshare (like the 100MB file i posted) or Premium, not free)

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭MrGarak

My 7mb BB speed usually fluctuates in the evenings, and goes as far as about 760kb/s when it's running full-speed. However I notcied Rapidshare getting upto approx 900kb/s and staying stable between that and 720kb/s today between 18:00 and 19:00, and once again now. Mentioned it to one of my mates and he said Eircom had two vans over at the exchange today here in Leixlip when he was passing, so looks like they did something right!

Here it is at the moment reporting 902kb/s:

2cngqu.jpg

If it stays this way I'll be a happy camper, then NGB will come along and manage to ruin it :p

776076511.png

on my 1mb line. upload is always constant no matter what time of day, guess thats the only upside :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

I have the 7mb package and this evening like most evenings - Peak times my speed drops to about 70 - 120 KB/s:(

7 Megs

776162836.png

Impossible to play any online games atm. ;/

Edit: + packet loss 30%.. ypi! Getting worse. Well done Eircom !!

Well if i didnt know any better id swear eircom have put me on a 1:1 Contention Ratio

Edit: Go Me :D
    14376937.png14376847.png14377200.png

• Advertisement

teddy b123 wrote: »
    I 2nd that, peak times doesnt seem to apply to rapidshare :D

Berkut, what are your speeds like with rapidshare (Trafficshare (like the 100MB file i posted) or Premium, not free)

oh I still lose speed in rapidshare as well...average from 40kb to 180kb during the week.
    Saturday night is about the only night where I get proper speeds.

Advertisement