Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

speed drops with eircom 18:00-00:00, and mine experience with eircom support...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭MrGarak

teddy b123 wrote: »
    Well if i didnt know any better id swear eircom have put me on a 1:1 Contention Ratio

Edit: Go Me :D
    14376937.png14376847.png14377200.png

Can't complain either:

14410734.png

Even longer distance is better than it was before:

14410870.png

D/L speed is still consistent. Will keep an eye on things though and see if it stays as good every evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭markmcg

I have 7MB and the best speed is 700-720kbps during the day which is not bad. At night its drops to 100kb.
    Somethings I cani play games online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Vrain

Its not just download speed lads my latency is going crazy. Cant do anything atm. Packet loss 30% right now . Its crazy ... It started like 7:00pm this evening same as yesterday and day before. I've rang eircom 2 days ago.Currently they are checking my "line" . Hopefuly ill know something by the monday. Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,448 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Vrain wrote: »
    Its not just download speed lads my latency is going crazy. Cant do anything atm. Packet loss 30% right now . Its crazy ... It started like 7:00pm this evening same as yesterday and day before. I've rang eircom 2 days ago.Currently they are checking my "line" . Hopefuly ill know something by the monday. Cheers

ah poor you...still believing eircom..
    You're in the same boat as teh rest of us...until eircom get the finger out we're all screwed..
    It's now 4 months this has been ongoing for me and Eircom jsut say "your exchange is scheduled to be upgraded end of april"..
    Yet they're telling other people the middle/end of may...bunch of tossers

• Registered Users Posts: 34 GerryTheLeper

Berkut wrote: »
    ah poor you...still believing eircom..
    You're in the same boat as teh rest of us...until eircom get the finger out we're all screwed..
    It's now 4 months this has been ongoing for me and Eircom jsut say "your exchange is scheduled to be upgraded end of april"..
    Yet they're telling other people the middle/end of may...bunch of tossers

Didn't they tell someone March in January aswell? Sorry if you've already mentioned this in the thread Berkut but are you in the Limerick area aswell like myself and Xennon?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Vrain

Didn't they tell someone March in January aswell? Sorry if you've already mentioned this in the thread Berkut but are you in the Limerick area aswell like myself and Xennon?

I just want to add... Limerick area aswell ere. + My problems started when i've moved out to new apartment just a cross the street. My b-ras have changed from b-ras1 to b-ras2. And lag begins! EIRCOM FTW ! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I was having problems with my eircom line there at the weekend (in Athlone) or so i thought....

After my connection dropping for the 5th time in an hour (despite being rock solid in between drops (30ms ping, 0 jitter) I went checking around to see what every one else on the network was up to, nothing. Found the problem, my sister plugged a Dect phone into a telephone socket that was unfiltered, everytime she went to use the phone I was losing my DSL connection, after popping a filter on that didnt see the same problem again.

I know that this isnt the problem with people who are going through the Castletroy eX in Limerick, but its worth checking out if the DSL connection is dropping on you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

Cabaal wrote: »
    48.0Mbps is YOUR internal wireless network speed and has NOTHING to do with Eircom's ADSL line speed, as such its not in anyway relevant to the speed tests in that screenshot
    :rolleyes:

Eircom insisted to me and others on the phone that the problem was probably my wireless connection. I'm well aware the speed on the dialogue box is my connection to my ap.

I've since had a call from a guy in eircom who actually knew his arse from his elbow.

Basically in my area and others, there was supposed to be big upgrades in feb/march. Instead they will do minor upgrades in outlying regions in order to take some pressure off the more congested hubs.

The proper upgrades will be no sooner than july/august and in his opinion will almost be definitely held back and we'd be lucky to see them by the end of the year.

He credited me a refund and now I'm either going to try vodafone out or resign myself to this crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭Gaw_

Eircom insisted to me and others on the phone that the problem was probably my wireless connection. I'm well aware the speed on the dialogue box is my connection to my ap.

I've since had a call from a guy in eircom who actually knew his arse from his elbow.

Basically in my area and others, there was supposed to be big upgrades in feb/march. Instead they will do minor upgrades in outlying regions in order to take some pressure off the more congested hubs.

The proper upgrades will be no sooner than july/august and in his opinion will almost be definitely held back and we'd be lucky to see them by the end of the year.

He credited me a refund and now I'm either going to try vodafone out or resign myself to this crap.
    No ADSL is going to be better. It will have the exact same problem, the exact same speed, it will be the exact same internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

My neighbour on vodafone isn't having this problem,.

• Advertisement

Just rang the 1901 number with regard to the massive packet loss in the limerick area and was spoke to a guy called Mirko for a while. He did the usual turn off the router and turn it back on business. Then checked my line and said that it was perfect. Meanwhile I was pinging my bras2 and was dropping 30% of packets. He just kept saying the same thing over and over about having too many apps running on the PC and too many ports open blah blah. I asked him about changing bras/exchange and he said that that was not possible and it wouldnt make a difference (yeah right) and that it was 100% something on my computers.

What I want to know is, could be actually test my line and see everything was perfectly fine or was that a bare-faced lie? I even asked him to make sure he was going through my b-ras (maybe a stupid question but I had to be sure). He just keep spouting the too many apps open bull like I was an idiot.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

nah man its eircom that are idiots. I've done tracerts to both their Galway and Limerick nodes, and i get about 35% packet loss over 100 hops.

its such a pain in the ass connecting to games too, as connecting to a UK server usually requires a hope at one of these nodes :mad:

nah man its eircom that are idiots.

I honestly think he was told to lie though, which pisses me off even more..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Xennon

The guys that call you are Stream's techs, they're the Eircom firewall. Eircom tells them nothing and gives them limited access to the network. They pretty much try their damnedest to sort out the problems with the access they have, which seems very restricted, they don't even seem to be allowed log into a box in limerick to see if they can localize the problem.

Unfortunately there is no point in arguing with them as they cant do anything bar pass on information to the Eircom Engineering dept. who then seem to just sit on it. Funny thing is I know that this problem has been also flagged from within Eircom, but there seems to be little response from Eircoms broadband team.

Ive had numerous Stream techs on to me regarding this. Each time we go through the motions, I'm getting more annoyed each time, but I cant blame these guys as they are doing only what they can do, but at this stage its starting to feel like delay tactics. I do however think that Stream would want to watch their reputation on this one as there would be closely associated with Eircom.

It's a disgusting feeling to see how much I'm paying for this and have paid for the past 5 months. And at the moment I don't have a choice, but I'm fast working on an alternative.

Xennon wrote: »
    The guys that call you are Stream's techs, they're the Eircom firewall. Eircom tells them nothing and gives them limited access to the network. They pretty much try their damnedest to sort out the problems with the access they have, which seems very restricted, they don't even seem to be allowed log into a box in limerick to see if they can localize the problem.

Unfortunately there is no point in arguing with them as they cant do anything bar pass on information to the Eircom Engineering dept. who then seem to just sit on it. Funny thing is I know that this problem has been also flagged from within Eircom, but there seems to be little response from Eircoms broadband team.

Ive had numerous Stream techs on to me regarding this. Each time we go through the motions, I'm getting more annoyed each time, but I cant blame these guys as they are doing only what they can do, but at this stage its starting to feel like delay tactics. I do however think that Stream would want to watch their reputation on this one as there would be closely associated with Eircom.

It's a disgusting feeling to see how much I'm paying for this and have paid for the past 5 months. And at the moment I don't have a choice, but I'm fast working on an alternative.

But would he be able to see my line is perfectly fine with "0% packet loss" when im experiencing ~30% at the very same instant? I've even had a few friends of mine living in England ping my ip for good measure and they get ~30% packet loss to me aswell. I'm just wondering if Stream are so sick of it they're telling their techs to lie? which as you say isnt good for their reputation either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 273 ✭✭Grim_Wreeper

Just to catch up, is MOST of the problem people are having in this thread got to do with the RAS server in the exchange in Castletroy?
    I mean, I know that if they fixed that my internets would go back to normal, I was getting consistant speed and quality just before xmas, same as everyone else who's routed through that RAS.

I mean, just fix the freaking thing already!!! it can't be THAT hard to do

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Just to catch up, is MOST of the problem people are having in this thread got to do with the RAS server in the exchange in Castletroy?

ALL of my problem is related to this

mossym wrote: »
    ALL of my problem is related to this

Mine too, I mean you think they'd fix this problem before continuing. This is effecting people with a 1meg connection. It's a complete joke that they continue to push 24meg access when they can't get the 1meg package right... (not that it's related to packages or speed, it's just illustrating my point :cool:)

as of now I can't play online after 1800, or use skype, my download speed drops. basically I'm not getting what I'm paying for. :mad:

Hi folks,

It was me who lead everyone to believe that the B-ras was located in Castletroy, it now seems its probably in the main exchange in limerick city. I was initially told that my exchange was linked to castletroy and that was where the bottleneck was, now I'm told its linked into the main exchange in limerick city. Sometimes I wonder if they actually know where everything is.... maybe theyve lost the b-ras????....hehe

Its hard to know wtf is going on, from what little I know of whats going on it simply looks like either the b-ras is overcontended or the backhaul is fuxored....who knows ... maybe both. At this stage I just want to know whats going on.

Can Eircom not just come out and tell us what da F*** theyre doing about this? Seemingly not, its easier to make the lads in Stream look stupid by providing the customers with ever moving update dates.

Gotta love this country......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,448 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Do any of ye have twitter?
    If not join twitter.....follow mattow cooper and every day sent him a message asking why is he not following up on eircom's packages.
    Unless the media actually follow this up eircom will do ****all.
    We were told the end of April this would be fixed....not a chance I reckon otherwise Eircom would have announced it..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Janine87

quick question about twitter.
    im just trying to get twitcam working but every time I am clicking on "Braodcast live" I have to click on Allow or Deny. When I click on Allow my browser just shuts down so I can never do a broadcast. Any ideas why this could be?

Xennon wrote: »

Can Eircom not just come out and tell us what da F*** theyre doing about this?

That's probably cause they're not doing anything about it... Seems that way anyway, they just keep fobbing us off with promises that it'll be fixed...

I'm annoyed cause the hard work is done for them (finding the problem), the easy part should just be fixing it!!

My theory is that it looks as though there simply isn't enough people complaining about it for them to bother their arses. The vast vast majority of people affected wont even notice it and so for them its simply not worth spending the money and resources fixing/updating the necessary equipment. I think we're ****ed until they update it for a more financially viable reason.

Great, i got a new modem out of this.......yeah.......thats going to fix it.....after trying numerous modems. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭ussjtrunks

Oddly enough my speed has been at a constant 1mb all day today, for the last week after 6pm my speed was reduced to about 1 10th so hopefully eircom is doing something about this. plus i live outside Mallow (Cork).

What B-ras are you on? And did you have problems before?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭ussjtrunks

What B-ras are you on? And did you have problems before?

Had no real problems before, though the speed has been dropping after 6 for about a week. I have no idea what B-ras is, but im on a 1mb connection and getting 130kb/per second download speed :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 399 ✭✭teddy b123

you can find out your b-ras by going into a command prompt window and typing in:
    tracert boards.ie

You'll get something like:
    C:\Users\Teddy>tracert boards.ie

Tracing route to boards.ie [89.234.66.107]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  192.168.1.254
      2    25 ms     24 ms       27 ms  [B][U][COLOR="Red"]b-ras1.lmk.limerick.eircom.net[/COLOR][/U][/B] [159.134.***.**]

3    25 ms    26 ms    41 ms  86.43.245.5
      4    33 ms    29 ms    34 ms  86.43.244.153
      5    98 ms    69 ms    29 ms  to-inex-dub-deg-gw.digiweb.ie [193.242.111.20]
      6    52 ms    35 ms    32 ms  ip-89-234-66-107.dedi.digiweb.ie [89.234.66.107]

Trace complete.

Im on the fairly trouble free b-ras1 :D

teddy b123 wrote: »
    Im on the fairly trouble free b-ras1 :D
    I'm on b-ras2 :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 399 ✭✭teddy b123

just checking but the b-ras is unchangeable?

Advertisement