Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

speed drops with eircom 18:00-00:00, and mine experience with eircom support...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,448 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Same story here tonight. Its pretty good! and behaving itself! :)

I jinxed myself..it's crap again with 24% packet loss...damn u eircom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 273 ✭✭Grim_Wreeper

Berkut wrote: »
    I jinxed myself..it's crap again with 24% packet loss...damn u eircom.

Yup, same here :( . That's what I get for daring to dream!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,448 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Yup, same here :( . That's what I get for daring to dream!

Thats why you couldn't push carts again :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭SmurfX

Been quite good the last two nights. Been playing a PS3 game online for the past hour and not a drop of lag whatsoever. Its like having a proper broadband connection, shocking. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭antocann

799784634.png

on eircom 7mb package and this is what im gething tonigh
    and internet keeps going

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭SmurfX

799823351.png

On 3mb, which is about typical for what I'd get during the day. Fingers crossed they actually did something to the exchange but I won't hold my breath.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Xennon

Awsome value for money this 8Mb package, and thats a speed test to the Limerick server, not 50miles away...more like 7 miles to the main echange.

801733452.png

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Try the Dublin server instead, seems to be serious issues with pingtests Limerick server. You get a better Reading from the Dublin server generally

• Advertisement

mossym wrote: »
    Try the Dublin server instead, seems to be serious issues with pingtests Limerick server. You get a better Reading from the Dublin server generally

^^ This.

Speedtest results are all over the place anyway.... They give a guideline but not much more. I usually looks at my rapidshare download speed and gauge my connection off that.

Thanks Grim, but when I suffer an average of 60% packet loss of an evening, trying different speed tests just seems like a waste of time.

Xennon wrote: »
    Thanks Grim, but when I suffer an average of 60% packet loss of an evening, trying different speed tests just seems like a waste of time.

Yeah packet loss is the real kick in the pants, I mean I wouldn't mind the speed dropping a LITTLE bit in the evenings, that's maybe fair enough. But with the packet loss I can't game or anything..

My fear is that this 'upgrade' to NGB, is simply a swapping out of the DSL cards on the DSLAMs at the local exchanges so they can claim to provide ADSL2+. All this means is that the connection to the local exchange will be somewhat improved, however the backhaul bottlenecks will persist, if not degrade due to more customers availing of over 8Mb packages.

If theres anyone out there that can let us know if the backhauls are also being upgraded or not please let us know one way or the other.

Xennon wrote: »
    My fear is that this 'upgrade' to NGB, is simply a swapping out of the DSL cards on the DSLAMs at the local exchanges so they can claim to provide ADSL2+. All this means is that the connection to the local exchange will be somewhat improved, however the backhaul bottlenecks will persist, if not degrade due to more customers availing of over 8Mb packages.

If theres anyone out there that can let us know if the backhauls are also being upgraded or not please let us know one way or the other.

possible theory on this, can those who are still having problems go to the NGB website and see when their exchange is due for upgrading to NGB capable?

Anyone getting any further info on the limerick area upgrade?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 zylli

limerick will be done according to the map sometime early summer.
    I dont think that will help me in newport though.loss and slow speeds every night :(

If they are upgrading the core then it should help you alot Zyli, in fact it 'should' solve the packet loss problems that everyone running through Limerick has been having. Hopefully.

Hopefully that will be the case Xennon,after month,s almost a year of engineers calling to the house and the BB call center contacting me they finally admitted there was nothing they could for me.

Question if they dont do anything with the Newport exchange will i benefit from the upgrade to Limerick.

zylli wrote: »

Question if they dont do anything with the Newport exchange will i benefit from the upgrade to Limerick.

Yeah you SHOULD do, if you're problem is packet loss due to the connection to B-RAS 2.

I'm currently having a packet loss of 22% myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 399 ✭✭teddy b123

it appears the problem is also on b-ras 1 too

terrible packet loss, terrible pings. soo not impressed

Tracing route to boards.ie [89.234.66.107]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:
    1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  192.168.1.254
      2   143 ms    26 ms    25 ms  b-ras1.lmk.limerick.eircom.net [159.134.155.24]

3   107 ms    68 ms   106 ms  86.43.245.1
      4   142 ms   143 ms   135 ms  86.43.244.153
      5   128 ms    34 ms    30 ms  to-inex-dub-deg-gw.digiweb.ie [193.242.111.20]
      6   172 ms   173 ms   175 ms  ip-89-234-66-107.dedi.digiweb.ie [89.234.66.107]

Trace complete.

16536876.png

16537118.png

this is the first time ive ever expierenced packet loss

and to show the packet loss is not to do with the pingtest galway server

16537170.png
    16537213.png

Can somebody explain this for me ??

limerick.jpg

almaty.jpg

zylli wrote: »
    Can somebody explain this for me ??

limerick.jpg

almaty.jpg

it's already been said earlier in this thread that the limerick server does not give correct results,..

I find the only way to reliably find packetloss is the use a command prompt.

I use the command "ping -n 50 google.ie"

that gives me a good indication of packetloss.

I find the only way to reliably find packetloss is the use a command prompt.

I use the command "ping -n 50 google.ie"

that gives me a good indication of packetloss.

yup, that or a dedicated packet analysis tool, will be more accurate then pingtest or speedtest for packet loss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 399 ✭✭teddy b123

Ping statistics for 66.102.9.106:
        Packets: Sent = 500, Received = 469, Lost = 31 (6% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
        Minimum = 30ms, Maximum = 209ms, Average = 116ms

thats with using the command in command prompt. its weird cause my line never had any packet loss untill yesterday

teddy b123 wrote: »
    Ping statistics for 66.102.9.106:
        Packets: Sent = 500, Received = 469, Lost = 31 (6% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
        Minimum = 30ms, Maximum = 209ms, Average = 116ms

thats with using the command in command prompt. its weird cause my line never had any packet loss untill yesterday

I'll have a look at my packet loss with bras1 tonight....i had none last week....

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

WinMTR has a more accurate reading than command prompt

http://winmtr.sourceforge.net/

it'll tell you the amount of hops, the packet loss at each hop, and it continously does the tracert. You can export the results as a txt or html file then once you're satisfied with the results

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭antocann

anybody had any problems with broadband bein down every 20-30 minutes?

• Advertisement

antocann wrote: »
    anybody had any problems with broadband bein down every 20-30 minutes?

That's more likely an issue in your house, or your distance from the exchange. There's tonnes of threads on this. You'll need to post your S/N margin and the like to get any proper help.

Advertisement