Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

speed drops with eircom 18:00-00:00, and mine experience with eircom support...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Xennon wrote: »
    Bryaner???...whats the point of that post??...showing off your connection or something??...I dont get it?..

Anyway I wonder if you guys around limerick and surrounding counties could do a traceroute (START>>RUN>>enter 'CMD'>>enter'TRACERT www.google.ie') and see if you have a b-ras2.lmk.limerick.eircom.net in your list.

Now Im not 100% up to speed on the Dslam to B-ras setups (maybe one of those that knows can point me to somewhere I can learn) but I dont think I should be seeing packet loss on that hop, which I and many more around limerick seem to see.

I believe this to be the crux of alot of problems Ive been hearing about anyway.

Yea your right i was mu hahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Xennnon

Ok, Ive dont some further noodling, the pings to the b-ras do drop packets, but I dont think this is a bad thing, if I ping any other IP there is no packet loss therefor the B-ras is passing traffic as it should. My main issue was the erratic ping times.

So I got onto Eircom tech support, explained my problem, the lad on the phone was excellent, I simply explained that my ping times were not what they should be, where Im situated in relation to the exchange, I listed briefly the stats on the modem, and the problems I was experiencing running remote desktops.

Found the problem, my connection had been reset to High Interleaving, when it was already set to low twice in the past year.

Tbh I cant fault the lad that answered my call. It was sorted within 10 mins. And no Im not an Eircom fanboi...

Re the connections going titsup between 1800 and 2400. Id say thats just general use. When you sign up for say a 3Mb package it does not state anywhere that that is the speed you are entitled to. In fact, Every one of their ads states 'UP TO', and Im sure somewhere in the fine print it states that your broadband connection is contended ie, theres only so much between about 24 of you. Hense when the rest of your neighbours start browsing the www your connection suffers.

By the way...I think that whole 'UP TO' clausing in advertising should be made illegal.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

bryaner, you've already been infracted, further pointless off topic trolling gets you banned for a week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭jakedixon2004

Has there been any progress on solving this probem yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭lisij

Has there been any progress on solving this probem yet?
    yeah i want to know also. cause thats is really pisses me off now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭rubdub

yeah same crap here.... was working fine all morning up until about 430ish then went arse up. Been like this since the start of Jan

will be ok for a while then next no internet whatsoever... the DSL light stays static green but the internet light turns red... and browsing stops for a minute then will come back.

I'm on the northside of Dublin with a Eircom 3MB line... really becoming a pain now...

693466284.png

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Xennnon

ok which problem are you refering to?

• The B-ras dropping pings I believe is normal as it doesnt drop any pings to anything on the other side.
    • The ping times being larger than expected could possibly be due to the interleaving on your connection being set to high.
    • The slowing of the internet at peak times is probably due to contention which you agreed to when signing up with Eircom.
    And as for baubl's problems we cant say anything without the stats from the modem.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭lisij

emmm... i am watching IPTV, and it realy horrible, its shows me about 3sec of a tv, and then freezes, and the download speed slows down also, it always starts at 18:00-23:00, any answers to this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Was flicking through youtube there, and I could hardly get anything to buffer fast enough.
    Yet thismoring (10 ish) I was watching a 400MB video clip on stagevu with no lag cause it buffered 100% in about 12 minutes.

694483996.png

Should be around 2.6

Ping seems ok.
    8811683.png

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭HATCHET IRL

The problem im having is that once 5 o clock comes and i try playing a game online its impossible because eveything just seems to freeze for like a sec or two. I start shooting someone and they're just standing still but not dying, then realize its after freezing, it then unfreezes and the person i was shootin is ten feet to the other side of me. Its hard to explain, I dont know if anyone plays gears on here but its like u have been lagswitched 4 a few secs. But i do a speed test and im gettin over 4mbs and only 30 ping. I just dont understand it

• Advertisement

That used to happen me with my o2 connection when i was playing

gears but not a problem since i got Upc 10meg connection that lag

is hatefull

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

bryaner wrote: »
    That used to happen me with my o2 connection when i was playing

gears but not a problem since i got Upc 10meg connection that lag

is hatefull

]orly>[\IMG]

[IMG][/img]facepalm[\IMG]

I've heard from a very reliable source that the eircom line contention ratio should not be an issue and that's not coming from management. ?

My vodafone line is also slowing signs of slowing down, it's doing about 3megs but the eircom line is downloading at 0.36 and pings are all over the place.

Can lines running along power cables make a huge difference to performance?

If it is down to bandwidth and contention ratio issues then technically there is little we can. Continue to complain and threaten to leave once your contract expires, also, inform them of how you will tell everyone on every major Irish forum and everyone you know etc. how crap they are.

Slower speeds I wouldn't mind so much if at least my ping remained in tact, maybe the entire infrastructure needs to be throttled!

They advertise their 7mb package as Downloading - for movies, music & gaming which at present is not the case.

/end rant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Samba wrote: »
    ]orly>[\IMG]

[IMG][/img]facepalm[\IMG]

I've heard from a very reliable source that the eircom line contention ratio should not be an issue and that's not coming from management. ?

My vodafone line is also slowing signs of slowing down, it's doing about 3megs but the eircom line is downloading at 0.36 and pings are all over the place.

Can lines running along power cables make a huge difference to performance?

If it is down to bandwidth and contention ratio issues then technically there is little we can. Continue to complain and threaten to leave once your contract expires, also, inform them of how you will tell everyone on every major Irish forum and everyone you know etc. how crap they are.

Slower speeds I wouldn't mind so much if at least my ping remained in tact, maybe the entire infrastructure needs to be throttled!

They advertise their 7mb package as Downloading - for movies, music & gaming which at present is not the case.

/end rant

problem is that moust of ather broadband supplyers use eircom equipment... I am getting feed of it, but i cant go anywhere.... as there is nothing, only eircom...

i allready called 3 times and all they can say: we aware of problem, but feck all we can do! When i said: i will switch provider, the fella on ather side was just: " meh, dont care".

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

The problem im having is that once 5 o clock comes and i try playing a game online its impossible because eveything just seems to freeze for like a sec or two. I start shooting someone and they're just standing still but not dying, then realize its after freezing, it then unfreezes and the person i was shootin is ten feet to the other side of me. Its hard to explain, I dont know if anyone plays gears on here but its like u have been lagswitched 4 a few secs. But i do a speed test and im gettin over 4mbs and only 30 ping. I just dont understand it

and it happens ever 3/4 minutes? thats called 'lag spikes'. im getting it recently and its annoying as fcuk

and it happens ever 3/4 minutes? thats called 'lag spikes'. im getting it recently and its annoying as fcuk
    yeah every few seconds, really annoying. Anything you can do about it? As i said gettin decent speeds good ping, weapons doin good damage but just lags 4 a second or two.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

nothing you can do im afraid. its your provider that needs to get their head out of their arse and have a look at the exchange

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 116 ✭✭vorbis^cs

cant wait until 8 o clock so my ping goes to 300+ ... good job eircom keep up the good work ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

I'm on the b-ras2.cld.dublin.eircom.net and it takes less than 1ms to get there. I live maybe 2 minute walk (50 meters if straight line from the exchange) from the exchange and am on the 7mb eircom connection and its being doing this the last few days also. I'm going to call upc (woeful customer service) and switch to them tomorrow as less than 1/2 price for a faster product and unlimited download. It appears to be eircoms last exchange that is causing the problem. Whereever the main one is, it must be they are doing a major upgrade for adsl2 in that exchange if its all over the country as it seems to be co-inciding with there adsl2 24mb package coming out. Its most likely they are taking sections offline in there and while its happening all the countries connections are being filtered through much smaller available bandwidth so when everyone comes home from work their is not enough for everyone so they throttle everyones. I'd say it will be a week or two before its finished at a guess

deceit wrote: »
    I'm on the b-ras2.cld.dublin.eircom.net and it takes less than 1ms to get there. I live maybe 2 minute walk (50 meters if straight line from the exchange) from the exchange and am on the 7mb eircom connection and its being doing this the last few days also. I'm going to call upc (woeful customer service) and switch to them tomorrow as less than 1/2 price for a faster product and unlimited download. It appears to be eircoms last exchange that is causing the problem. Whereever the main one is, it must be they are doing a major upgrade for adsl2 in that exchange if its all over the country as it seems to be co-inciding with there adsl2 24mb package coming out. Its most likely they are taking sections offline in there and while its happening all the countries connections are being filtered through much smaller available bandwidth so when everyone comes home from work their is not enough for everyone so they throttle everyones. I'd say it will be a week or two before its finished at a guess
    do u think this could be causing my lag spikes? it started only a month or two ago out of the blue

do u think this could be causing my lag spikes? it started only a month or two ago out of the blue

If they've been doing work on your area that long would cause it yea. But couldnt be certain.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mayo Exile

I have 3 Meg BB with Eircom. Just got this result. 2 minutes ago the result was 1.18 Mb/s download. Was hovering around 1.3 Mb/s most of this evening. Pings varied between 50 and 73.

698131112.png

As its after midnight, just did another test.

698159312.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭clint_silver

Im on vodafone at home after they took over my BT line. Since the takeover 2 months ago Ive been getting drops and really ****ty line speeds. down as far as 300kbps. all between 6-12 in the evenings.

why dont vodafone come out and jsut say theyre doing things? that way we might not like it but at least we know and dont have to hold for 25 minutes to listen to support guy telling me to try and reboot my laptop and that should fix it..

This is mine before and after:
    Untitled.png
    9106263.png
    The ping is still a little off lately but is okay at 50ms. A month ago would have been about 20-30ms. On the ping test it would usually be an A line

699101035.png
    9167802.png

Speeds down again this evening. Why is there a difference in the ping measurement between speedtest and pingtest I wonder?

699226560.png

Must say mines been good all day worst was around 8 meg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

bryaner wrote: »
    699226560.png

Must say mines been good all day worst was around 8 meg
    But we are talking about Eircom here.
    Isn't UPC cable broadband?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

But we are talking about Eircom here.
    Isn't UPC cable broadband?

Ignore him, he feels the need to repeat how "deadly" his connection in every thread posted in this forum

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

bryaner, I warned you previously.

Seems you don't like to listen as seen here and here.

Your now banned for a week, do this again and your banned for three months.
    Nobody cares about your UPC connection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,548 ✭✭✭weisses

Mayo Exile wrote: »
    699101035.png
    9167802.png

Speeds down again this evening. Why is there a difference in the ping measurement between speedtest and pingtest I wonder?

could be the 1 minute it took you to do the two separate tests

Advertisement