Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

speed drops with eircom 18:00-00:00, and mine experience with eircom support...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Just got a reply from an eircom rep on twitter about the limerick exchange
    At the moment there are no reported issues in your area -Will

If we want something to be done, everyone affected has to ring up the support line.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭steps_3314

Same problem for me in North Cork

Eircom customer and on a 3 Mbit connection.

Very sluggish in the evening.

Did a speedtest and was getting 0.8 Mb/s

Was p**sed off but dont feel so bad now as it looks like a problem affecting everyone.

Lets hope they fix it.

Were kinda tied down really with no options.

Would consider Chorus but they only do the TV in our area i think

But they wont fix it if theyre able to deny it.

Rediculous, money grabbing c*nts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭Gaw_

I ordered UTV 3mb internet 2 months ago.

The first month was fine, was getting full speed of 3mb as advertised.

Roughly around the start of my 2nd month, things have started to go wrong. The internet works, as it did, from about 3pm - 7pm, then from about 2am - 9am.

It is the rest of the time (when I most use the computer) that I have been having extreme difficulty with.

First of all: The download speed. It vary's between 200kb/s - 1500kb/s.
    But the most important issue, is packet loss. I have a netgear DG834G v5, and as such have been able to access the router via telnet, and have pinged it directly from there, and am getting 13% packet loss. This proves the problem is not on my side at all.

During this, I have emailed UTV as I have tried to discover the problem, they thought it was the filter, but that isn't even in - There is only one phone socket in the house and it is connected directly to it. We have only moved in recently, and the phone line was put down in the last 3 months, should be of high quality and integrity.

UTV said a few days ago after realising the replacement filter did not work, that they have logged the fault with eircon. I have not informed them of what I have discovered tonight (telnet into router) but I could be waiting weeks to recieve any notification from UTV (from eircon), so I decided to ask the fellow boardsies what to do in this situation.. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭Gaw_

Here is a speedtest + pingtest for when it is in its working state, I will post another set of them when it stops working again.

707278914.png
    9752900.png

(Using wireless, not possibile for me to use cable, but if you read my OP post, the wireless is not the source of the problem)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Akatsuki

I have the same problem was fine up till late december now huge ping problems at peak times the only thing i think we can do is keep phoneing and spam there website with complaints :mad:

thats exactly when it started happening for me. its rediculous. if they think they can hold on to their customers forever, theyre absolutely wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Xennon

I did some quick tests using MTR, posted here It seems that their network cant handle the evening time load that is put on it. And now theyre offering 24Mb packages to customers on a network that cant already manage the existing load.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 evilmonkeyy

Only started this week, was on the phone to Tech support "nothing wrong their side" checked the usual, and i loved the part about contention ratio as they have just supplied all my street with free broadband ;-) and the "Up to xMb speed". Then wanted an engineer to call and if nothing was wrong or found anything that can drain the speed i.e. PS3 or any other internet enabled device or a modified line in house ??? What the what??, it was going to cost €150 for the call out charge. I know nothing is wrong or has changed, using the same PC, no virus, nothing running in the background blah blah blah.This is not acceptable, i have no contract with Eircom, if this is not resolved next week, Bye bye, I'm moving!!! and all i can say to others is - if you can move! do so. Checked with mates that use Vodafone and Smart, no issues with them?? both companies use Eircom lines so what are they hiding??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

Only started this week, was on the phone to Tech support "nothing wrong their side" checked the usual, and i loved the part about contention ratio as they have just supplied all my street with free broadband ;-) and the "Up to xMb speed". Then wanted an engineer to call and if nothing was wrong or found anything that can drain the speed i.e. PS3 or any other internet enabled device or a modified line in house ??? What the what??, it was going to cost €150 for the call out charge. I know nothing is wrong or has changed, using the same PC, no virus, nothing running in the background blah blah blah.This is not acceptable, i have no contract with Eircom, if this is not resolved next week, Bye bye, I'm moving!!! and all i can say to others is - if you can move! do so. Checked with mates that use Vodafone and Smart, no issues with them?? both companies use Eircom lines so what are they hiding??

I'm constantly hearing this and I have both a vodafone and eircom active line, the vodafone line has no issues, thing is, just because you are on their equipment does not necessarily mean that you are on the same rack in the exchange. If there is congestion on the rack your line is on, it's going to suffer.

Not only is my line messed up I was overcharged on my bloody bill!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Slaanesh

I'm on the Kilmessan exchange, 7mbit, line stats perfect:

710374801.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mayo Exile

Pretty slow again this evening for a 3 Meg package........

712624652.png

And slower again........

712631574.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Xennon

got onto Eircom;

dial 1901
    wait for menu
    ask for more detail
    ask for agent
    ask for broadband
    give number
    and wait a couple of mins.

Got through to a lad that seemed to know what he was on about. We did some checks etc etc (the usual...no point in arguing) came to the conclusion there was a problem.

Dont ring during the day, no point as they cant see the packet loss then. Ring around 8pm as they're open till 10pm.

The more of us that do this the more pressure will be on them to add a few routers ;). its seems like basic over contention tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 854 ✭✭✭iknorr

yup just done it. they said they are going to set up monitering for 24 hours within the next 48 hours. I should be receiving a call from an engineer once the test is complete.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭KAGY

I think I'm having the same problem, only started a few weeks ago. a tracert give this. Is this a problem on eircoms side?
    I'm using OpenDNS if it's relevant
    C:>tracert www.boards.ie

Tracing route to www.boards.ie [89.234.66.107] over a maximum of 30 hops:

1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  192.168.0.1
       2     *        *       22 ms  b-ras1.mgr.mullingar.eircom.net [159.134.155.13]
       3     *       19 ms     *     g3-1-3.pe1.mgr.dbc-mgr.eircom.net [86.43.246.117]
       4     *        *        *     Request timed out.
       5    26 ms     *        *     tenge-1-2-1.pe1.crz.crz-crz.eircom.net [86.43.252.130]
       6     *        *       24 ms  86.43.244.37
       7     *        *        *     Request timed out.
       8     *       33 ms    22 ms  86.43.244.153
       9    31 ms    29 ms     *     to-inex-dub-deg-gw.digiweb.ie [193.242.111.20]
      10     *        *        *     Request timed out.
      11     *        *        *     Request timed out.
      12     *       44 ms     *     ip-89-234-66-107.dedi.digiweb.ie [89.234.66.107]
      13     *        *       45 ms  ip-89-234-66-107.dedi.digiweb.ie [89.234.66.107]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭anoble66

its difficult to tell from a tracert, Download pingplotter and run that.

KAGY wrote: »
    I think I'm having the same problem, only started a few weeks ago. a tracert give this. Is this a problem on eircoms side?
    I'm using OpenDNS if it's relevant
    C:>tracert www.boards.ie

Tracing route to www.boards.ie [89.234.66.107] over a maximum of 30 hops:

1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  192.168.0.1
       2     *        *       22 ms  b-ras1.mgr.mullingar.eircom.net [159.134.155.13]
       3     *       19 ms     *     g3-1-3.pe1.mgr.dbc-mgr.eircom.net [86.43.246.117]
       4     *        *        *     Request timed out.
       5    26 ms     *        *     tenge-1-2-1.pe1.crz.crz-crz.eircom.net [86.43.252.130]
       6     *        *       24 ms  86.43.244.37
       7     *        *        *     Request timed out.
       8     *       33 ms    22 ms  86.43.244.153
       9    31 ms    29 ms     *     to-inex-dub-deg-gw.digiweb.ie [193.242.111.20]
      10     *        *        *     Request timed out.
      11     *        *        *     Request timed out.
      12     *       44 ms     *     ip-89-234-66-107.dedi.digiweb.ie [89.234.66.107]
      13     *        *       45 ms  ip-89-234-66-107.dedi.digiweb.ie [89.234.66.107]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,842 ✭✭✭jeffk

Xennon wrote: »
    got onto Eircom;

dial 1901
    wait for menu
    ask for more detail
    ask for agent
    ask for broadband
    give number
    and wait a couple of mins.

Got through to a lad that seemed to know what he was on about. We did some checks etc etc (the usual...no point in arguing) came to the conclusion there was a problem.

Dont ring during the day, no point as they cant see the packet loss then. Ring around 8pm as they're open till 10pm.

The more of us that do this the more pressure will be on them to add a few routers ;). its seems like basic over contention tbh.

What ive done and being saying, made an official complaint to them last week to.

Waiting on them to get back to me on some sort of compensation/refund for the below 1mb im getting of late. They couldn't even ring me back within the the 2-3 business window that companies are meant to.

Once people start looking for and/or receiving refunds and their bottom line is taking a hit then they might do something.

good luck on getting a refund....cant see it happening to be honest.

jeffk wrote: »
    What ive done and being saying, made an official complaint to them last week to.

Waiting on them to get back to me on some sort of compensation/refund for the below 1mb im getting of late. They couldn't even ring me back within the the 2-3 business window that companies are meant to.

Once people start looking for and/or receiving refunds and their bottom line is taking a hit then they might do something.

anoble66 wrote: »
    good luck on getting a refund....cant see it happening to be honest.

Well they cant continue to breech a contract for up to 7mb when members of their tech team and customer service agreed 4-5mb is the worst you should get.

Theres all sorts of legal stuff i can start spouting to them, one of the joys of being on a customer care course and having a classmate in college to get into the legal game.

I honestly wish you luck, but I can tell you now they will just blame it on contention. In theory your line rate could drop to 0.14mb and they would not be breaching contract. Its madening I know, but thats what they have been allowed to do.

Now, if you can prove that your getting constant packet loss - that could be different and cannot be blamed on contention

Well they cant continue to breech a contract for up to 7mb when members of their tech team and customer service agreed 4-5mb is the worst you should get.

Theres all sorts of legal stuff i can start spouting to them, one of the joys of being on a customer care course and having a classmate in college to get into the legal game.

• Advertisement

I honestly wish you luck, but I can tell you now they will just blame it on contention. In theory your line rate could drop to 0.14mb and they would not be breaching contract. Its madening I know, but thats what they have been allowed to do.

Now, if you can prove that your getting constant packet loss - that could be different and cannot be blamed on contention

Im thinking comreg but i heard there not much help??

Is there constant packet loss or is that about the only thing that eircom have gotten right?

I think a lot of people are getting the packet loss. Easy way to test is from a windows cmd prompt, type:-

ping -t www.google.ie

Let it run for 5-10 mins and stop it with ctr-c, it will report packet loss. Anything over 5% is going to result in slow web browsing, voice break up during skype calls etc, disconnection from xbox live etc

Do the above tests both during the day and during peak times.

I think a lot of people are getting the packet loss. Easy way to test is from a windows cmd prompt, type:-

ping -t www.google.ie

Let it run for 5-10 mins and stop it with ctr-c, it will report packet loss. Anything over 5% is going to result in slow web browsing, voice break up during skype calls etc, disconnection from xbox live etc

Do the above tests both during the day and during peak times.

Grand stuff thanks, i can add that to my screen shots of eircoms speedtest results.
    Theres a lot of 5mbs and almost as many less than 1mbs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,448 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Guys..you do know that Eircom have admitted that they have to upgrade all their exchanges as a result of the 24meg package.
    If you head over to the vodafone forum on here you'll see this..
    the advice I basically got from eircom broadband was if I'm not happy with the speeds to downgrade my packet for the moment...
    I'd be quite happy to except I'm getting approx 25% packet loss at the eircom exchange between 5pm-12am..

eg..here's the standard vodafone mail now

> "Thank you for contacting us with your query. Please accept our
    > apologies for the delay in responding to your query.
    >
    > Having investigated your issue further and similar complaints coming
    > in from other customers we have come to the below conclusion.
    >
    > Unfortunately, at the moment many exchanges around the country are
    > experiencing huge congestion issues and need to be upgraded.
    > Unfortunately, your exchange seems to have fallen into this category.
    > Eircom are aware of the issue and have plans in place to upgrade all
    > the exchanges in need of this, as all customers, not only Vodafone/BT
    > customers, are experiencing these problems. They hope to have these
    > *upgrades completed on all exchanges within 13 weeks*."
    >

Scar_L wrote: »
    Guys..you do know that Eircom have admitted that they have to upgrade all their exchanges as a result of the 24meg package.
    If you head over to the vodafone forum on here you'll see this..
    the advice I basically got from eircom broadband was if I'm not happy with the speeds to downgrade my packet for the moment...
    I'd be quite happy to except I'm getting approx 25% packet loss at the eircom exchange between 5pm-12am..

eg..here's the standard vodafone mail now

> "Thank you for contacting us with your query. Please accept our
    > apologies for the delay in responding to your query.
    >
    > Having investigated your issue further and similar complaints coming
    > in from other customers we have come to the below conclusion.
    >
    > Unfortunately, at the moment many exchanges around the country are
    > experiencing huge congestion issues and need to be upgraded.
    > Unfortunately, your exchange seems to have fallen into this category.
    > Eircom are aware of the issue and have plans in place to upgrade all
    > the exchanges in need of this, as all customers, not only Vodafone/BT
    > customers, are experiencing these problems. They hope to have these
    > *upgrades completed on all exchanges within 13 weeks*."
    >

Yes I seen the planned upgrades on their site thanks, but broaband support said the more people that give out an ring in etc the faster they will be upgraded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,448 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Yes I seen the planned upgrades on their site thanks, but broaband support said the more people that give out an ring in etc the faster they will be upgraded.

that's me fúcked then out in Pallaskenry :)

Scar_L wrote: »
    that's me fúcked then out in Pallaskenry :)

I had to google Pallaskenry lol.

Ah sure if they cant have a booming place like Blanchardstown high on the list of upgrades it cant be make up with common sense in mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 296 ✭✭Dey were Sooted

hey

just spotted ur question there

we are in newmarket on fergus co clare - were with eircom for six months or so and would lose connection maybe 4-8 times an hour - pretty bad i have to say as i used to play poker online in a semi pro way back then . i found their response to the situation to be a complete farce so we moved to digiweb over a year ago - so happy we have even moved our whole phone package to digiweb since . now we do still lose connection but not at the same frequency as we did with eircom - i mean it's maybe once or twice a day and not every day and i understand as it's all still on the same phone line .

maybe your question has been answered already but i don't have time to look through the whole post

and for what it's worth - imo the eircom ads saying x amount of customers have returned to them - i find that very hard to believe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

If the new 24mb/s packages are to blame, then why is it still affecting me?
    You can't get this speed where I live or even anywhere in Munster for that matter. Whats clogging up my exchange since my speed was fine before Christmas and even into January.

• Advertisement

If the new 24mb/s packages are to blame, then why is it still affecting me?
    You can't get this speed where I live or even anywhere in Munster for that matter. Whats clogging up my exchange since my speed was fine before Christmas and even into January.

I mean this in the most non smart way, but ask eircom this.

Ring tech support they will ask you to check you lines,firewall and have you got a sky box or wireless on. Then turn of router give them your ip address and they ghost it, admit its not right and that they have logged a report.

Then take that number ring and make a formal complaint, in two-three days(standard period your complaint should be answered in) if you haven't heard anything ring them. Its only valid for 10 days but cannot be closed till its resolved.

At least you feel like you have gotten somewhere, eircom have another complaint on it and of course the phone operators are kept in work.

Broadband Support: 1890260260
    Compliant No: 1800200481

Advertisement